[PLOG] Lonicera's Enraptured Pleasurehost (6th Edition CoS)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Re: [PLOG] Lonicera's Enraptured Pleasurehost (6th Edition C

Post by Darkprincess »

@Daeron: do you have access to the old d.net album? Id it accessible anywhere? I had a bunch of pics in there that I've lost in a hard drive crash several years ago and I'd love to get them back...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have all the pictures themselves but lost the data such as the album names and comments, apparently... My appologies for that. The photos will be uploaded soon. I was thinking of putting them om a Flickr account, where they can be downloaded, shared and referenced to quite easily.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

UPDATE - [WiP] - Hellraiser-Themed Cauldron of Blood

Hi guys/ It's been a while since I updated this thread, so I thought it's time I posted something for you to get your teeth into. I've finally managed to find a cheap(ish) Cauldron of Blood on Ebay, for about 20% less than the usual GW price, which, although still incredibly expensive for a few grams of plastic (I swear there is more plastic in the sprues than in the model itself), was a really good deal.

Since the real CoB is very much an item that is more at home among the ranks of the Khaine-worshipping infidels among us, decided to build mine with a rather more Slaanesh-friendly aspect. After playing with the idea for a while, I decided to go with a theme that was inspired by the Hellraiser movies, since the focus of those is very much on secret desires, pleasure and pain etc - much the same as with Slaanesh, so I think that would be a good fit for my army, allowing me to field this iconic model and give me the opportunity to try out some neat conversion ideas.

This is very much still a work in progress, but this is what I have so far...

Overview

As you can see, I haven't used the wheels that come with the kit but rather I have elected to have it carried by a bunch of slaves (currently these are just spare skellies from my VC army, but more on this later)

The Lament Configuration

I cut off the top part (the Hand of Khaine holding the heart) from the central "spindle" and glued on a Hellraiser puzzle box - this one came with a NECA Pinhead action figure that I bought long, long ago. This was extremely tricky to attach as I had painted and assembled the cage first, then realised that there wasn't enough room to insert the box, so I had to break open the "cage" to put it inside. Seriously the CoB is one of those models that you need to assemble and paint in stages, as there are so many nooks and crannies on it that painting a pre=assembled model is extremely tricky - not to mention dangerous - I drew blood a couple of times as the spiky bits are really sharp!

The Lament Configuration design on the top platform was simply printed onto sticky-backed inkjet paper and stuck over the platform. I touched up some of the gold parts of the pattern with Burnished Gold just to pick out some of the larger details a bit.

Note that I haven't done the cauldron insert piece yet - in fact I'm planning to make several alternate inserts which will just sit neatly in place. The inner walls of the cauldron were painted with a mix of Tin Bitz and Boltgun Metal, to give it a kind of tarnished bronze look (almost certainly the material from which such a vessel would have been constructed). I used the same basic technique to paint the metallic central bits in the cage section, A diluted wash of brown ink gives the piece a bit of age and weathering to add to the realistic effect.

Pinhead

No Hellraiser-inspired model would be complete without some representation of everybody's favourite Cenobite so, with this in mind, I tried to make the cauldron support statue look like Pinhead himself. To do this I scored a grid pattern into his head with the x-acto knife. I'm not 100% happy with the result as it doesn't show up on the model as clearly as I would have liked, although maybe I can get it to stand out a bit more when I get the paint job finished. Also, I thought it would be a neat touch if he was nailed to the cauldron through the wrists, as if crucified (just the sort of punishment that the druchii could well have invented in the first place). This was done by using a pin vice to drill into the wrists after he was glued to the cauldron, then fixing a cut down sewing pin in place with superglue.

The Bearers

The hardest part here was to break apart some already assembled skellies and reposition them in such a way as I was able to place the pole (made from barbecue skewers) across their shoulders. These were superglued in place and the tips were dressed with the spear tips taken from the skellies themselves. Eventually, I will be fleshing out their bodies with a bit of putty to make them look like emaciated slaves, and then painting them to represent skinless bodies, such that they are flayed slaves that carry the cauldron around. (Apologies to Shadowspite for stealing his uber-cool idea there :) )

I have positioned the poles so that the cauldron model will sit neatly on top of them without needing to be glued in place, allowing me to field it on wheels if I ever need to (the supplied wheels are a really snug fit on the axles, and also don't need glueing to stay in place)

There are still a few detail pieces yet to be applied to the cauldron model - most notably the chains with flesh hooks (very Hellraiser) and I will be adding more pieces of jewellery chain to further enhance the effect. Once painted up, this should make a nice centrepiece for the Cult of Slaanesh army, and the dark purple on the CoB (a 50:50 mix of Imperial Purple and black) will help to tie the whole thing in with the army colour scheme.

I still have another couple of cool items to add to this model before I can finish painting it too, but more of that later...

Painting

The purple bits are a 50:50 mix of Imperial Purple and black, highlighted first with Imperial Purple and then very lightly with Liche Purple. The steps were done by very lightly drybrushing Dheneb Stone over the black undercoat, building up the colour with about three or four layers of drybrushing, which gives the steps the look of well-worn wood and has a nice smooth patina that, unfortunately, doesn't show up well in the photos. The dark metal areas were done by mixing a bit of black with Boltgun Metal to give a darker tone, then highlighted (mainly on the edges) with Boltgun Metal. Tin Bitz was applied very sparingly in a few places to suggest slight areas of rust to make the whole thing look older and a little bit weathered (not too much - these are still elves after all, not orcs so while I wanted to get a realistically weathered look, I didn't want it to look completely battered). The bloodied icon at the top of the steps was filled in with a drop of magenta ink (my red ink has all dried out) and unintentionally spilled onto the step a bit, but this actually looks OK on the model - like the blood is smeared around the rune so I didn't try to clean this up.

It's still some way off being completed (especially the bearers) but so far, so good.

I can't really call it a Cauldron of Blood I guess, as that's not properly fluffy for Slaanesh, so maybe the Altar of Pain or something along those lines would be more appropriate. I will of course update you all with any further progress I make on this complicated model - Seriously, I've built loads of GW kits over the years but this one is by far and away the most horrendously complex one I've ever done - and to anyone wanting to build this kit, I would advise you to very carefully study the assembly instructions as they're not always 100% clear about which bits go where - in particular, it is ridiculously easy to assemble the rear cage section back to front and then realise that you can't get some of the bits to fit as well as they should have (guess how I found that out...)

Also, be careful not to prick your fingers on those spikes as they are incredibly sharp!
The Dark Princess

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice Update - what do you plan to put on the Cauldron itself?
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Nice Update - what do you plan to put on the Cauldron itself?

I haven't decided that for certain just yet. I have a bunch of random ideas but nothing definite. For now I'm just going to get the rest of the model completed and then I'll give a bit more thought to how I'll finish it all off.
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Some possible ideas:

Leviathan floating above the cauldron, tethered to the inside of it with chains made from human bones, sinews and entrails.

A cauldron of souls, with a swirly purple vortex out of which writhing naked people are trying in vain to escape.

A similar swirly purple vortex, out of which daemonettes are emerging. Or maybe cenobites.

The Pair Dadeni, the Cauldron of Rebirth. Mortally wounded druchii are thrown in. They emerge shiny and new, all their wounds healed. And probably naked and with breast enhancement, since this is your Cauldron of Rebirth, DP... :P

A steamy hot tub with bathing beauties. Possibly with no skin and called Julia. ;)

A more traditional Cauldron of Blood, but with magically-animated hooked chains bobbling about above it to snatch unwary victims and pull them in. Or maybe just pull their skin off so the rest of them can join the Cauldron's flayed bearers.

An unfolding lament configuration.

Several barbed skewers on which captured enemies are impaled so that their blood drains into the cauldron below. Maybe with interchangeable victims so they can be tailored to whoever you're fighting at the time.

Tentacles. Lots of slimy, writhing tentacles. No doubt searching for Japanese schoolgirls. ;)
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Shadowspite wrote:Some possible ideas:

Tentacles. Lots of slimy, writhing tentacles. No doubt searching for Japanese schoolgirls. ;)

I really shouldn't have found this as funny as I did :)
Some great and funny ideas there Shadowspite.

Nice update Princess, I like what you have done for Bearers.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:Some possible ideas:

Leviathan floating above the cauldron, tethered to the inside of it with chains made from human bones, sinews and entrails.

I really like the Leviathan idea - it's easy to make and should look great on the model. I'll probably try to do this at some point - since I'll be making several different inserts for the cauldron i can afford to experiment a bit :)

Shadowspite wrote:A cauldron of souls, with a swirly purple vortex out of which writhing naked people are trying in vain to escape.

Nice idea but I'm not sure that my sculpting skills are up to this one O_O

Shadowspite wrote:A similar swirly purple vortex, out of which daemonettes are emerging. Or maybe cenobites.

I quite like the idea of putting a couple of daemonettes on the model - perhaps in place of the regular cauldron crew, just to give it that extra Slaaneshi dimension

Shadowspite wrote:The Pair Dadeni, the Cauldron of Rebirth. Mortally wounded druchii are thrown in. They emerge shiny and new, all their wounds healed. And probably naked and with breast enhancement, since this is your Cauldron of Rebirth, DP... :P

That's actually a really cool idea in terms of gaming - perhaps I could develop a house rule where the cauldron gets to regenerate wounds in that way. I like ideas that not only look cool on the model but are reflected in the rules as well. That's a neat concept. As for the second part of your idea here, maybe they get turned into daemonettes LOL (proper ones, with breasts, just like they used to be...)

Shadowspite wrote:A steamy hot tub with bathing beauties. Possibly with no skin and called Julia. ;)

I definitely need to convert a "skinless Julia" mini - I had planned to do one years ago for a Hellraiser-themed warband for Mordheim, but I shied away from it as I wasn't confident that I could get her looking right. However, after seeing what you did with your skellies, I'm feeling a bit more ambitious these days :)

Shadowspite wrote:A more traditional Cauldron of Blood, but with magically-animated hooked chains bobbling about above it to snatch unwary victims and pull them in. Or maybe just pull their skin off so the rest of them can join the Cauldron's flayed bearers.

Maybe I should decorate the cauldron structure with a few flayed skins (assuming I can figure out how to do them properly - I have a couple of ideas but I'll need to experiment a bit)

Shadowspite wrote:An unfolding lament configuration.

Not sure how to go about that one though. Having said that I have a papercraft model of one on my desk that won't actuaslly stay folded :)

Shadowspite wrote:Several barbed skewers on which captured enemies are impaled so that their blood drains into the cauldron below. Maybe with interchangeable victims so they can be tailored to whoever you're fighting at the time.

Hmmm, Lonicera The Impaler... I like that :twisted:
Shouldn't be too hard to convert a few impaled victims either. Come to think of it you could put a few of them together on a scenic base as a terrain item for Mordheim or something too. Cool idea.

Shadowspite wrote:Tentacles. Lots of slimy, writhing tentacles. No doubt searching for Japanese schoolgirls. ;)

So Warhammer meets Hellraiser meets Cthulhu meets Manga. Maybe that's a potential conversion project for the Medusa... Mwhahaha :mrgreen:

Some really cool ideas there, thanks. I'll certainly be doing a few of them at some point. I think I'll start with the Leviathan, as it seems to me that this will be the easiest one to make.
The Dark Princess

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

UPDATE - The Hellraiser Leviathan

As I mentioned in my previous post (wow, was that really two weeks ago already?), One of the ideas I gladly accepted was to recreate the Leviathan from Hellraiser II as a detail for the Cauldron of Blood (and most importantly to replace the infidel statue that comes with the kit :))

Part 1 - Making the Leviathan
The basic shape is easy enough, but the engraved detail on it was more of a challenge. To start with, I did a lot of research online, and from that I drew up a rough plan. Basically this is simply a pair of three-sided pyramids joined back to back. I decided to make the height of it roughly the same as that of the Khaine statue (a little over 100mm) and then drew up a more accurate cutting plan. The widest part of each face is 30mm wide. I cut the whole thing from a single sheet of .5mm plasticard, scoring the lines that would form the corners so that I could fold it into shape and apply liquid poly to the joins. I left this overnight to dry properly before moving on to the next stage.

Part 2 - Panel Detail
I wasn't confident about being able to reproduce the intricate pattern on each of the faces, and so I found the design online and loaded into Photoshop so that I could place it over a wood-textured background image, then I printed it out on self-adhesive paper and cut them out so that they covered the entirety of each face. This is an easy enough technique but you don't get really good contrast, so I went over the gold lines with a gold metallic Sharpie pen (not entirely accurately, it has to be said - I should have done this while the printed sheet was flat on the table, rather than after I had stuck them on to the model. When I was happy with this, I applied sticky-backed dress jewels to the centre of each side. These were clear when I bought them so I applied a coat of undiluted purple ink to them to tie it in with my colour scheme.

Part 3 - The Lament Configuration Base
I didn't want something that was permanently fixed to the Cauldron - the intention was always to make changeable inserts so I could field it in different configurations, so the first thing I needed to do was to make a base that would be a perfect fit inside the Cauldron. After trying a number of different ideas, I stumbled upon the idea of using 30mm large washers (I believe they're called "fender washers" in the US) These were exactly 30mm in diameter which, by a happy coincidence, is exactly the same as the inside diameter of the cauldron itself (and also of the standing platform behind it, allowing me to place the Leviathan eith in the cauldron or on the platform). I already had a few sticky-backed prints left over from when I made the top platform, so I stuck one of these onto the washer and painted the edges with Scorched Brown.

Part 4 - The Chains
These were an absolute nightmare to get right. The principle is easy enough - I attached the three short lengths of chain to little brass wire loops which I superglued into tiny holes that I drilled in the side of the Leviathan with a pin vice. The tough part was attaching the other ends of the chain to the base. My pin vice was unable to drill the tough steel washer, so I had to glue them on. Superglue didn't work at all well so in the end I opted to use a small drop of hot glue and even that was a serious PITA to get to stick the way I wanted it but eventually after several abortive attempts, they stuck. Now all I needed to do was to make the chains rigid so that they would effectively support the model like a set of legs. I did this by holding the washer in a clamp so that it was upside down, with the Leviathan dangling beneath it. Then I applied a generous amount of superglue to each of the chains and let them dry overnight. The chain still looked a bit too bright so I dulled it down with a wash of Tin Bitz followed by a light drybrush of Boltgun Metal.

And Here It Is...

I suppose it could be fielded as part of a freestanding terrain piece or as some kind of objective as well as used as part of the CoB

And here it is on the Cauldron

Note how the 30mm washer base is a perfect fit inside the cauldron
The Dark Princess

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That has progressed really nicely.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

:shock: :twisted: Now, that's pretty darn awesome.

I'd never realised before just how well Leviathan's markings fit with the overall DE aesthetic.

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:I'd never realised before just how well Leviathan's markings fit with the overall DE aesthetic.

Actually while I was researching this, I found a few different variations on this - it seems to be that the markings on the full-size one in the Labyrinth (and also on the one that comes with the Neca Series 3 Hellraiser action figures) is the correct version, although in the movie there is a sequence where a puzzle box transforms into the Leviathan shape, but retains a distorted version of the Lament Configuration pattern. I chose to go with the full size version because it is different to the puzzle box and also because the design would be much simpler to go over in gold ink. I also like the symmetry of the pattern when applied to the top and bottom of the pyramid pieces.

As you say, it doesn't really look out of place at all on this model. I'm so glad you like it. If anything, it looks better on the tabletop than it does in the photos (as usual, the flash has washed out a lot of the detail in the pics)

Now I just have to get around to finishing the bearers - that'll be the toughest part of the build I think...
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Darkprincess wrote:Now I just have to get around to finishing the bearers - that'll be the toughest part of the build I think...

How much greenstuffing (that sounds very wrong as a verb...) are you thinking of doing to your bearers? Do you intend to give them some musculature on the limbs, or just fill in the belly area? Either way, I look forward to seeing the whole thing finished. :D

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:
Darkprincess wrote:Now I just have to get around to finishing the bearers - that'll be the toughest part of the build I think...

How much greenstuffing (that sounds very wrong as a verb...) are you thinking of doing to your bearers? Do you intend to give them some musculature on the limbs, or just fill in the belly area? Either way, I look forward to seeing the whole thing finished. :D

To be honest I'm undecided as yet. My intention would be to do a proper job on them, but since they're already glued onto the base (they would be way too unwieldy to set up and move around otherwise), I'm not certain about how accessible the limbs will be. My basic plan at the moment is to fill in the abdomens, and to use some acrylic filler on the limbs - just to smooth it on to hide the gaps in the bones and so on. Not sure how effective that will be to be honest - I'll need to try it on a spare skellie just to test the idea (as it happens, I still want to make the skinless Julia as part of my hellraiser themed Mordheim warband so she'll be the perfect girl to try it out on - of course in her case I'll need to use just a bit of extra green stuff (well, two bits actually) a bit higher up :p

I'll need something around the heads too - if only to fill in the otherwise vacant eye sockets :)

The ones that you did actually looked really amazing considering that the skellies were pretty much unconverted though, and definitely gave the correct impression of flayed slaves, so the process shouldn't really be all that tough to do really - just tedious as I have ten of them holding up the CoB (probably not really enough to be realistic, but hey - we're talking about naked skinless slaves carrying an unfeasibly spiky contraption with three insane elf-girls and an avatar of a malign god on top of it - since when has realism had anything to do with it? :mrgreen: )
The Dark Princess