[PLOG] Lonicera's Enraptured Pleasurehost (6th Edition CoS)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

[PLOG] Lonicera's Enraptured Pleasurehost (6th Edition CoS)

Post by Darkprincess »

Hi guys. Wow this has taken a long time to get posted. After several years away from the hobby I'm back and keen to do more work on my Druchii Cult of Slaanesh army, so I'm starting by linking a bunch of photos of the old stuff as well as some of my newer Work in Progress stuff. I don't claim to be able to paint as well as some of you guys do, but I'm reasonably happy with most of my stuff.

These photos don't necessarily represent just a single army, as I can field either straight DE, or CoS or Slaanesh Daemons, depending on my mood. Usually however, it will be Cult of Slaanesh based on the 6th Edition Storm of Chaos variant army list that was published by GW back in the day.

OK, we'll start off with my High/Supreme sorceress, Lonicera - My Warhammer alter-ego. Her rules were developed jointly by myself and a number of other d.net members over ten years ago, and are still available on druchii.net and in the d.net Monthly Magazine.

Not much to say about this one really. Converted from the old Morathi figure, I just made a more Slaaneshi staff motif in the form of the rune of Slaanesh. Sadly the crescent is missing after being in storage for several years but that's an easy fix. She also has the old (red) colour scheme. I may get around to doing her in purple one day and maybe adding a spell book to her other hand. The staff represents the Staff of Kython, which is mentioned in her rules.

OK, here are the Brides of Lonicera - her first unit of Devotees - Witch Elves of Slaanesh. I still love these metal witches even though they're maybe not quite as dynamically posed as the new plastic ones. Fairly basic painting here - the skin is just elf flesh with a subtle highlight layer of elf flesh mixed with white, and then a very dilute ink was (either flesh wash or chesnut ink - I can't remember to be honest)

Again using the old colour scheme and very minimal conversions. These are also over ten years old now. The beastmaster is a bit out of place in this unit, but that's because I normally field Lonicera herself in her spot. Not even sure if you can still do that these days but I'm a 6th/7th edition girl so who cares :) The banner is from the Mounted Lord of Slaanesh (you know, the one on the Boobworm)

And now we move on to Elora, Lonicera's apprentice/friend/lover etc. Rules-wise she's a level 2 Hero choice sorceress. Apologies for the crappy photo of this one :( No conversion as such on her - I'll probably get rid of the sword at some point and convert the staff, but this model was really a painting exercise - the intention being to paint her dress in a way that appeared transparent. I basically used successive flesh-tone layers over the black basecoat. I think I was only partially succesful though. Even so, this is a really lovely sculpt that looks great on the table.

OK, moving on to the core units now; First up are the RXB Babes;

A bit of lipstick and nail polish and you have an all girl Druchii mass-murder squad dressed to impress the Dark Prince (and Princess). Elves are sufficiently androgynous to be able to get away with this sort of thing. Again minimal conversions here. I didn't add shields because I didn't want to hide the armour and I think they look pretty good anyway. The painting is quite straightforward, with a liche purple basecoat on the cloth parts, with a warlock purple highlight. I think the armour looks great with a mix of boltgun metal and shining gold, with the occasional burnished gold highlights. The lippy and nail polish are warlock purple to match.

And here are my spearelves - 18 in this unit (all my units are in multiples of 6 to be in keeping with the slaaneshi fluff). More girly-looking Druchii to bring you amusement and pointy death. Slightly different colour scheme to the RXB Babes (I may match them up one day) Same armour techniques but no warlock purple on the cloth this time, so basically liche purple over a black undercoat. The shield artwork was printed out on sticky paper and placed on the shields - I'm surprised it's stayed there after more than a decade to be honest. The lipstick and nail polish were done as on the RXB Babes. The pennant/banner streamer is just a piece of paper painted purple and glued onto the spear.

OK, here are the new (2016) unit of 18 spearelves. Very much WiP at the moment. These are made up almost entirely from 6th edition High Elf components (mostly spearmen but a few archer bits in there too) with Druchii spears. I'm missing a few blades at the moment, but I'm sure I have a few in the bits box. Once painted in the army colours, I think they'll match the others pretty well. Once completed, I'll make up the two units by mixing and matching these with the older spearelves, so that they look a bit more unified. Note the one with the banner is sporting a Dark Eldar warrior head. I'm still not really confident about painting banner designs, so I'll leave that until I am...

And here's the newly converted RXB girls;

These already look pretty good, despite being nowhere near finished, mainly because I used up all my remaining Druchii heads. Apart from that, these are again mostly He bodies, with a few DE ones. There are 18 of these (as opposed to just 12 in my original RXB Babes unit) because I wanted to use up all the spare crossbows in the bits box (I still have one or two left so I'll probably convert a couple of shades with those at some point) I'm impressed at how easily you can mix & match the 6th edition elf parts and still get great looking results.

And then the last actually elven (as opposed to daemon) unit for the army are the Concubines of Elora - Yep, Lonicera has her own band of frothing lesbian psychos, and now, so does Elora.

Once again, nothing too complicated here - just basic 6th edition metal witch elves with a few odd conversions here and there. The banner artwork is stuck on in the same way as the shields on the old spearelves. I think these are more nicely painted than the first unit of witches - these were done a year or so later so I think my technique had improved a bit (I actually did some proper edge highlighting on these)

Colour scheme is basic liche purple (the highlight is liche purple with a tiny bit of white added) and shining gold. Note the beastmaster with the whip - I did originally have enough metal witches to complete this unit (12 in all, same as Lonicera's witches) but I cut up a few to make Dechala (more of whom later). I think she can pass as a Devoted of Slaanesh pretty well anyway - the whip alone will see to that :)

OK, one more elf character (and to date the only male in my army), Senix Belakyth although technically he's not really part of this army - I made him originally to be part of a Cult of Slaanesh Mordheim warband. I'm not really happy with the skin painting on this one, but it looks better on the table than in a closeup photo.

The model is from Wargames Foundry's Elven Revenants range (I think they're OOP now, sadly as they are beautiful sculpts) and as such is noticeably over-scale compared to GW miniatures, so I guess this is a really imposing Druchii indeed - almost a head taller than the other DE in my army. Fluffwise he's a dungeon master/torturer. The only addition to the basic model is the scourging whip, which is made from some twisted wire. Yeah I know it looks crap - I may revisit this model one day and do a better job. Incidentally, "Belakyth" means "Path of Pain" (assuming I'm understanding Shadowspite's Druchii Language Guide properly), and "Senix" is an anagram of "Insex" - the name of an infamous (and now largely defunct) adult website. I particularly like the high-gloss PVC-look boot. This was painted using Humbrol gloss black enamel (which will totally destroy your brush so use a cheap (or old) brush that you don;t mind throwing away afterwards. I used this same method for the boots on my first Keeper of Secrets.

OK, that's all for a moment. I'll be adding some of the daemonic units to this thread later. I hope you like my army anyway. I know it's not the most awesomely painted out there, but I still think it's a nice effort and worth sharing with you guys.

Enjoy...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] Lonicera's Enraptured Pleasurehost (6th Edition C

Post by Amboadine »

Thanks for taking the time to post. Look to be coming along quite nicely, some nice models in there.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Very cool army! I especially love Senix Belakyth and Elora.
Interesting use of the High Elves as your spearman
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

OK, here's a few more photos for your enjoyment;

Starting with a couple that I meant to include in the previous post; The Reaper Bolt Throwers. Seriously, what's not to like about the ability to lob six S4 sharpened broom handles 48" across the table with a -2 armour save and pinpoint accuracy every turn? (depending on which edition you play of course)

Reaper Bolt Thrower #1

These models were my first attempt at creating diorama bases with cut-out spaces for the crew bases to sit in. I think the painting is slightly better on the second than the first, but I did these more or less back to back to get a degree of consistency. I'm very happy with the colour scheme and fits in nicely with the rest of the army. Note the use of colour on the crew's nails, just to imply that it's an all-girl army.

Reaper Bolt Thrower #2

I'm especially pleased with the edge highlighting on this one, especially the cloth areas on the foreground crew miniature. The scroll she's carrying turned out quite nice as well - it looks solid but aged as well - that was just bleached bone over a black undercoat followed by a diluted wash of brown ink. I think her standard needs a bit more work though - as well as something on it like a banner or a crucified slave or something. Maybe a banner bearing the words "Don't Fear The Reaper" written in the Druchii font would be a funny touch (with the word "Don't" crossed out). Just because you're hurling pointy sticks all over the place doesn't mean you can't have a sense of humour :twisted:

The Bittersweet Succubi

And so we move on to the daemonic units in the Cult army, starting with these gorgeous 6th edition metal daemonettes. The name of this unit is a play on the double-entendre title of Cradle of Filth's 2004 EP "Bitter Suites To Succubi"

I've always thought that these girlies were the best daemonettes that GW has ever produced. If I'm honest, I must say that I like my daemonettes to have nipples. I really do. And yes I realise that GW have an issue with this, feeling that bare breasts and nipples are not suitable for children, but as a 50-year-old woman, maybe I know more than they do, as I always thought that's exactly who they were for :) I guess that just goes to show how braindead GW really are these days (assuming that Age of Sigmar didn't already give this away)

Painting-wise, I've never quite got my daemonette's skin looking quite right. Either it's too human-like, or too pink or purple. One day I might try repainting these in the paler colours that GW uses these days. I do, however, like the scything arms - this was just undiluted purple ink over the skin colour, followed by two layers of 'ardcoat varnish to give it that hard, shiny look.

[WiP] - More Daemonettes

OK, those were the daemonettes that I did for the Storm of Chaos back in 2004. Now I'm working on two more units of them, starting with this one, which uses up all my remaining metal daemonettes as well as a few of the newer plastic ones.

This unit doesn't have a name yet, but it will in due course. As with my newly-converted spearelves, I'll probably mix & match the old and new models in all the daemonette units to make them look more consistent. Note the two classic metal daemonettes in there too - Fleshthrob and Gristlewhip (Didn't you just love it when all the daemonettes had names?)

Druchii Anointed on Boobworm

Exactly what it says on the tin - And why not? Does anyone here remember what a Druchii Anointed actually is? Well it was a special character from the Cult of Slaanesh variant army list that was published for the 2004 Storm of Chaos campaign. AFAIK, no official model exists of this character, so this is how I imagine her to look (and yes, she really can take a boobworm as a mount);

There are actually a couple of better photos of this lovely model in the d.net monthly from September 2004 (even though I spelled "Anointed" wrong in the article - oops :oops:

While the boobworm is built pretty much stock, the rider is heavily converted. Her legs are from the Lord of Slaanesh that comes in the same kit as the steed, the torso and head are from a Wargames Foundry figure, the shield and the lance were bought from the GW bits store (they're from Asarnil The Dragon Lord and a Cold One Knight respectively). The armour is mostly burnished gold and the gold stripes on the cloth are done with a gold paint-pen, and look really bright and reflective.

Keeper of Secrets - Parte The Firste...

Here's my original Keeper of Secrets, made back in 2003-2004 and still looking great;

Yeah because nothing says "Slaanesh" like whips, chains, ballgagged naked slavegirls and an oversized bull-crab hybrid wearing bondage boots :mrgreen:

This is almost certain my best ever model, both in terms of the composition and the paintjob. The slavegirl is of course from the Dark eldar Vect kit, bought from the GW bits store, back in the day when GW actually sold bits and didn't mind you converting stuff. The chain is probably a bit heavy for the scale but looks OK I think. The ballgag was an obvious touch and was made from the tiniest piece of green stuff I have ever tried working with - quite a challenge to do. The rock she's kneeling on is a stone from my garden. Otherwise this is pretty much the stock classic Keeper. Back in the day you could get different arms and heads for this guy, but this seems to be the most popular (at least the most commonly seen) configuration. A truly classic miniature that seems to have been around forever, and of all GW's Keepers, this one is by far my own personal favourite. There are a couple of better photos of this model in the druchii.net Monthly, May 2004

Keeper of Secrets - Parte The Seconde

And here's my second Keeper of Secrets - because if something's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess :twisted:

This is the 5th/6th edition model and has been more heavily converted than my first one. However, this is still a Work in Progress - I still have stuff to do on this miniature. First of all, the awful squid head has been swapped for a bull's head from the GW bits store, and then the ridiculously huge claw arms were swapped out for plastic ones from a Spawn kit. The brass rod and chain were bought from Antics model shop in Cardiff, which was a great source of all manner of stuff until they closed down a few years later, and the bird cage was bought for the princely sum of just £1 from a dolls house shop. The completely naked slavegirl is from Wargames foundry and was sold as an elf, but IMO she looks a tad plump to be an elf, so she could pass for a human - maybe a Brettonian damsel that was acquired on a Druchii raid and will be offered up to Slaanesh as either a sacrifice or a plaything for the Palace of Pleasure. The straw bedding in the cage is a chopped up 2" paintbrush stuck in place with PVA.

I feel that I need to add something more to the base in order to balance the composition a bit, and also to place something in the Keeper's outstretched hand. The current best options for the latter are either a Hellraiser style puzzle box, or a naked girl, draped, Fay Wray style across his palm...

I'm not as pleased with the painting on this one, so I may have to do a fairly extensive repaint, possibly matching up more closely with the first Keeper.

Dechala, The Denied One

Slaaneshi special character dating from 3rd edition or maybe earlier. Fluffwise she was once a beautiful High Elf princess who's family saved their worthless Asur skins by offering their daughter as a sacrifice to Slaanesh. She obviously impressed the Dark Prince because she returned as a kind of daemon-princess character with her own special rules. She hasn't had an official model in many years so I decided to convert my own. You can learn more about Dechala here;
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dechala

OK, on to the model. Here she is;

This is far from being my best conversion effort, though the body is kind of OK, and in a lot of ways looks much better than the old GW one, which was one of the ugliest miniatures ever (Yep, even uglier than the Nagash Clown, only not as silly-looking). The head, torso and arms (including the extra arms) are from 6th edition metal witch elves (I still have their legs here searching for a project) while the tail was sculpted from green stuff. Yeah I know the sculpting is a bit crappy - this was my first attempt at doing a snake lady (sadly it shows - I'll need to do better than this to convert a nice Medusa) though the painting on the tail is OK I think. The most interesting part of this model is the base. As the special character, Dechala is on a 25mm square base, but I made a matching 40mm square adapter base in which she fits so that I can potentially field her as a Chaos Spawn / Fiend of Slaanesh if necessary.

And finally (for now, anyway);

Furies of Slaanesh

I've always thought that the standard Chaos Furies are terribly ugly models. Suitable for an army of Khorne or Nurgle, but Slaanesh wouldn't touch them with someone else's, so it was conversion time again. This time, I drew inspiration from a few models in the Soulcrushers army by our very own Lion of Flanders, who had the amazing idea of sticking the outer bits of DE Harpy wings on daemonettes - and it works really well. Now I could never hope to paint them as well as he did, but I'm fairly happy with the way these girls have come out (with the daemonette skin caveat I mentioned earlier, of course) The display base for these was made from an old CD built up with plasticard and covered on P38 car body filler.

I'm especially pleased with the eviscerated witch elf - You see guys, that's what happens when you worship Khaine :twisted:

Closeup - Slaanesh 1, Khaine 0

OK, that's all for now. I'll upload more stuff as soo as I get it ready.

Enjoy...
The Dark Princess

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lovely stuff. Nice to see the old models coming out to play.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

OK, this is really the cool stuff. Your anointed is awesome! I might steal that one + the dechala for making some more Medusa's. I also have two boobworms and no idea how to merge them into my khaine army.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

When I did a gauzy, transparent white dress, I painted it a warm white (in the old GW line it was Kommando khaki, Bleached Bone, a 50/50 mix of Bone and Skull White, and very careful top highlight of pure white). A VERY thin application of brown ink glaze brought the folds of the dress out.

Then I started a (again, carefully thinned) wash of flesh ink over the areas of the dress closest to the 'skin'. It takes some playing with to get it right, so don't go too dark too fast - better several thin washes than one that winds up being too heavy.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Vulcan wrote:When I did a gauzy, transparent white dress, I painted it a warm white (in the old GW line it was Kommando khaki, Bleached Bone, a 50/50 mix of Bone and Skull White, and very careful top highlight of pure white). A VERY thin application of brown ink glaze brought the folds of the dress out.

Then I started a (again, carefully thinned) wash of flesh ink over the areas of the dress closest to the 'skin'. It takes some playing with to get it right, so don't go too dark too fast - better several thin washes than one that winds up being too heavy.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try soon, as I still have a few female minis that would look great with that sort of effect.
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Nice to finally see them! :)

I especially like your Anointed. I have a spare boobworm languishing in one of my bitz boxes, so I may have a go at converting something similar myself. That's if I don't use the boobworm's tail as part of one of my medusas...

Including some High Elf bits / models in with the DEs works really well to give a more Slaaneshi theme, I think. All the gemstones and the taller helmets make them look less 'spartan' than the standard DE models. Even the warriors with scale (rather than mail) armour still fit in thanks to the purple colour scheme (basically, as long as an elf's not wearing white, he doesn't look too much like a HE). Besides, canonically, the Cult of Pleasure existed in both Naggaroth and Ulthuan and recruited from both elven kindreds.

I think the skin tone of your daemonettes and furies is just right. I like the way you've done the claws as well. IIRC, the one and only daemonette I actually have painted had her claw done in a similar way (but using magenta ink over gold). The witch-elf-gutting one is a really nice pose - I assume it was originally a mounted daemonette, but how did you get her off her mount without messing up her legs?

Your Dechala is way better than the official GW mini. OK, that sounds like damning with faint praise, doesn't it? :P Seriously, though, I like it.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:Nice to finally see them! :)
I especially like your Anointed. I have a spare boobworm languishing in one of my bitz boxes, so I may have a go at converting something similar myself. That's if I don't use the boobworm's tail as part of one of my medusas...

Well the tail is pretty easy to sculpt if you need to. It's the torso/boobs/neck and back "fin" that's tougher to do :)

Shadowspite wrote:Besides, canonically, the Cult of Pleasure existed in both Naggaroth and Ulthuan and recruited from both elven kindreds.

Indeed so, and Lonicera's fluff does go all the way back to the Sundering days :)

Shadowspite wrote:I think the skin tone of your daemonettes and furies is just right.

I always think they look too purple, though I must admit they seem to look OK in these photos

Shadowspite wrote:The witch-elf-gutting one is a really nice pose - I assume it was originally a mounted daemonette, but how did you get her off her mount without messing up her legs?

That was done with extensive (and very careful) work with a modeling saw and clippers. It took a while (I actually did two of them, because I wanted two of the steeds to pull my DE chariot - the other of which is still in the bits box waiting for a project, though the one with the witch elf came away better - the leg is damaged on the other one. Nothing that can't be repaired though) and I cursed GW from their hole to their pole over casting those minis as a one-piece rider/mount combo. The mounts themselves were pretty badly mutilated by the removal process, but since their backs are quite smooth anyway (or were, in the days of 6th edition models), I was able to repair them pretty well with green stuff. I'm going to try to get photos of the chariot along with my unit of 6 mounted daemonettes in the next few days then upload them.

The underneath and backside of the one in the photo are quite badly damaged (as are the feet), hence why I'll never photograph her from the back :)

Shadowspite wrote:Your Dechala is way better than the official GW mini. OK, that sounds like damning with faint praise, doesn't it? :P Seriously, though, I like it.

Well I'm glad you like her. Yeah I know she's not my best work, but frankly the GW one is just so horrible that I'd have had trouble making her any worse :) I'd like to make a whole unit of snake women at some point - I'll probably end up converting my small naked wood elf army for this, but I need to shoot a load of photos of them before I end up repurposing them into the service of Slaanesh... I don't want a situation like happened with my Dominatrix (aka "The Barbiefex"), where I no longer have the model, and the photos got lost in a hard drive crash - and I no longer have the link to them online - so if anyone out there still has the link to those photos, would they please be kind enough to PM them to me? Thanks guys :lol:

At some point too I'm thinking of getting a load of photos of my (rather large) Vampire Counts army - I'll upload them in a seperate thread if there's any interest out there for it...
The Dark Princess

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for posting these amazing mini's and for the great write up.

I really like the Druchii Anointed on the Boobworm. Also the old keeper of secrets are a blast from the past.

Good to see you getting back into painting the army.
Giladis
Corsair

Post by Giladis »

The Druchii Anointed, that is a sight from another time :D
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

OK here's a quick update;

[WiP] - Mounted Daemonettes

or Seekers of Slaanesh, or whatever the hell we're supposed to be calling them this week...

These are stock 6th edition Mounted Daemonettes. I still need to complete the painting on these and do the bases. I'm fairly pleased with the colour scheme as it matches my Boobworm and Keepers really well. I'm pleased with the cat-like eyes on the steeds too. I just need to do the metal bits on the daemonettes and give their skin a quick highlight and they should be OK. I may sculpt a few tongues for them too. I can't decide if I prefer these mounts or the new ones. The newer ones certainly have a lot more detail than these, but I do like the smooth design of these ones which makes conversions and scratchbuilds etc that much easier. I like that the newer ones have a bit of armour as I like painting metal, and that they look more akin to the sketches in the old Realm of chaos books, but there is something very appealing about these ones. Larger bases like these are great opportunities to have a lot of fun with the scenic stuff, so I can't wait to get these painted fully so I can move on to doing the bases.

[WiP] - Cold One Knights

I've had these models for over ten years but never used them in a game so I never bothered trying to paint them properly until recently - I'm still not quite sure how best to use them and I'm sure I'll get bitten by the stupidity rules when I do, but I think they could look good once completed. Please bear in mind that these are still at a very early stage with only one rider assembled with his lance, and none with shields yet.

These models are Raptor Riders from Blacktree Designs, from their Shadow Elves range, and are basically a relatively low-grade ripoff of GW CoK's. While I quite like the look of the Giger-inspired mounts, I'm still struggling to find a really good colour scheme for them - I want them to look fairly realistic, so I don't want to use bright colours on them. Currently I'm messing with various darker greens on the upper surfaces with lighter colours (Kommando Khaki or Dheneb Stone) on their bellies. A few of these already have several layers of repainting so when I finally decide on a scheme I'll probably strip them back to the bare metal and start them from scratch. On the other hand, it's just possible that once the detail painting is done, these will actually look quite good, and the variation in colour between the different mounts might actually be a nice and naturalistic touch - after all, not all horses are exactly the same colour... I must decide what I'm going to do with these...

The riders are not currently glued onto the mounts - they actually sit on them fairly well and won't easily fall off during normal gameplay, so I may decide not to glue them, alloeing me to field different riders if I come up with cool conversions in the future. The riders are highly detailed, though that detail is more generic and less defined than on the GW ones. This is not really surprising as Blacktree Designs are not renowned for the quality of their minis compared to GW, Rackham and the other top brands. Having said that, I think they will look good once completed.

As supplied, the riders had weird Greek-style helmets that looked totally wrong for a Druchii army, so I cut them off and put Dark Eldar warrior helmets in their place. These are a bit too large for the models, but I don't think that'll be a huge issue. The supplied lances were cast in quite soft metal and have shown a tendency to bend, so one day I might replace them with scratchbuilt ones based around a length of 1mm brass rod which should be a lot more rigid. They were also too short for the look I wanted to get and so I snipped the pointy tips off and replaced then with the tops from HE spears. They're still shorter than GW CoK lances but they look OK now. I'll need to scratchbuild the ribbons/ pennants from green stuff or something similar. Also the supplied shields looked crap and so they will need to be replaced too - and herin lies the problem - I want to use the Dragon Lord shield like I did on my Druchii Anointed, but the Blacktree riders are not compatible with these as the shield goes on their right arm, with the lance on the left, making it difficult to use GW shields. I may have to try sculpting a mirror-image version of the Dragon Lord shield in order to make my ideas work. I suppose I could always file off the existing arms and replace them with my few remaining spare DE warrior arms so that I could attach the weapon and shield to the correct sides - that would certainly be easier than trying to sculpt a complex shield design.

All in all, quite a lot of work needed on these guys, but hopefully they will look great once finished. Of course they will have a large amount of gold on their armour, but this gives me another problem - All of my metallic paints have dried out, with the exception of Chainmail and Mithril Silver, and GW no longer sell the Burnished Gold that I've used extensively on my army. Do any of you guys know a good substitute for this colour? I know GW sell something called "Auric Armour Gold" which they claim (incorrectly) is a match for Burnished Gold, but it's not even close to the same colour. Somebody suggested Glorious Gold from Vallejo - anyone know if this is a good match?
The Dark Princess

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice change of model for the Cold Ones. I hadn't seen those models before anywhere.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I love the mounted demonettes. These models nearly convinced me to fall into the pink side, years ago...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Amboadine wrote:Nice change of model for the Cold Ones. I hadn't seen those models before anywhere.

I thought they were now OOP but a quick google search proved otherwise - http://eoeorbisuk.com/products/fa0401-r ... 4539022403

There is also a variant of these with swords rather than lances. I think they still look crappy compared to the GW ones but hopefully I can get mine looking good :)

Calisson wrote:I love the mounted demonettes. These models nearly convinced me to fall into the pink side, years ago...

"nearly?" I guess you didn't quite succumb to the allure of the Dark Prince then? No matter - there are plenty of other souls out there to quench her thirst ;)
The Dark Princess

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice work - those cold one mounts are different.

Would you not paint them a similar flesh tone to the worms to keep with the theme? They could be mounts from the chaos realm.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Would you not paint them a similar flesh tone to the worms to keep with the theme? They could be mounts from the chaos realm.

That's not a bad idea actually. I think I may try one like that and see how it turns out, thanks. I'll need to get more Pallid Flesh, or whatever the equivalent for that is these days (Vallejo Pale Flesh I think)
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I think the problem with the cold ones is that no shade of green is going to work well with your overall purple colour scheme. If you're dead set on avoiding 'bright' colours, I'd go for either black or albino.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Even a dark purple might be nice.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

UPDATE - WiP Slaanesh-themed Dark Elf Chariot

This thing has been sitting around in my bits box for over ten years, so I thought it was about time I got on with it :)

Seriously - it's so old (6th edition) that it has two wheels! :) When did GW first start making those new unicycle chariots?

I'm fairly happy with the conversion so far. I still haven't even started on the crew yet, as I need to find their weapon arms. The toughest part of this project was cutting the daemonette riders off the mounts without damaging both too much. The thin jewellery chain was from a cheap necklance bought in my local Poundland - this is a great place to pick up all kinds of cheap & nasty crap that can be used in conversions.

The faces on the wheels could be better but I think they look suitably gruesome and horrific so I guess they're OK for the time being at least. I did think of making them look a bit more bloodied, but that wouldn't make sense unless they were really fresh, as once blood dries it turns brown anyway, and the chesnut ink wash I gave them looks about right for this. I think the chariot itself could do with a few extra blades and spikes and the steeds still need a bit more detailing but this is coming on well I think.

Hopefully I should have an update on the Cold One Knights in the next day or two as well. Watch this space...
The Dark Princess

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's so much fun to see these olds minis again. It's quite the nostalgia trip.

It reminds me of our old photo album. I have started digging up the old photo albums of Druchii.net. Some information was lost, but the pictures are still safe and sound. I started filtering them for a new upload... I'll work on that some more!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I loved that old album - there was always some great inspiration to look at!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Ah. Lovely old minis :)
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I still think the old chariot (minus the fat cold ones) looks much better than the Killer Unicycle From Hell.