Max mini drake cloaks- possible sea dragon cloaks made easy?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Clockwork
Highborn

Max mini drake cloaks- possible sea dragon cloaks made easy?

Post by Clockwork »

Hi all, has anyone tried these? http://maxmini.eu/drake-cloak-bits

Seems like they would make perfect Sea Dragon Cloaks and avoid the hassle of cutting up Corsairs! But I suspect they are designed for 40k Salamanders so I am slightly concerned about the size.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Max mini drake cloaks- possible sea dragon cloaks made e

Post by Amboadine »

First time I have seen them. Nice find.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

If you read the reviews, it seems they're actually a bit too small for SMs, so presumably they'd fit DEs just fine.

Sea dragon cloaks are easy to make with greenstuff anyway, but I must admit €7 for five is pretty good value.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:Sea dragon cloaks are easy to make with greenstuff anyway, but I must admit €7 for five is pretty good value.

Well if you're good with green stuff I guess. I've never made a sea dragon cloak but I may try it one day. I wonder if there may be room in the P&M forum for a hints & tips thread to help people make stuff. I think that might be a good idea :)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Darkprincess wrote:Well if you're good with green stuff I guess. I've never made a sea dragon cloak but I may try it one day. I wonder if there may be room in the P&M forum for a hints & tips thread to help people make stuff. I think that might be a good idea :)

I'll put up some photos of my converted corsairs with greenstuff cloaks tomorrow (I haven't done so before now only because they're still in my 'old' colour scheme and need a repaint). I can write a guide on how to do it if anyone is interested.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Shadowspite wrote:I'll put up some photos of my converted corsairs with greenstuff cloaks tomorrow (I haven't done so before now only because they're still in my 'old' colour scheme and need a repaint). I can write a guide on how to do it if anyone is interested.

I'm definitely interested. My attempts at cloaks always seem to miss the mark.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I'll put up some photos of my converted corsairs with greenstuff cloaks tomorrow

OK, here they are: LINKY

I will do a 'how to' thread as soon as I have the time to sit down and do it properly, with more helpful pictures. But the short version is, you flatten out a big sheet of greenstuff and press it onto the shoulders of the mini with the end of a modelling tool, get it 'flowing in the wind' right (following the 'motion' of the model), then let it cure. Cut up the edges with clippers or a knife to make it look ragged. Then press small balls of greenstuff all over the outer surface, flattening them with the modelling tool to make the scales. The really tiny scales are done by pressing a small hollow plastic tube into a patch of greenstuff. The ridge of bony plates/spikes down the 'spine' (which as you can see I didn't always bother with) is just larger balls of greenstuff flattened at the edges into a dome shape and then textured with the back of the modelling tool.

It's much easier than it sounds, trust me. Just give it a go! :mrgreen: If it all goes horribly wrong, you can always snip the cloak back off and start again. Just don't be paying GW prices for your greenstuff! 8)

Incidentally, an alternative (quicker and somewhat easier) method I will be using from now on is to start with a pre-made cloak (e.g. from wood elf glade guard, of which I have loads of spare sprues for some reason) and just do the scales in greenstuff.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Those cloaks look really nice Shadowspite.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes in deed nice find, they would look great with my Corsair army I am working on.
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

Max mini has a bit of a bad rep on some other forums for taking money and not shipping product (and not responding to queries). Caveat emptor.