Ramza trying his best at painting

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Ramza trying his best at painting

Post by Saintofm »

Good job so far.

Always remember you will know which of your minies are your first ones and which one syou did years after experiance, save for a few players who seem to be blessed with Divinchi's touch from the getgo.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Ramza1987
Warrior

Post by Ramza1987 »

More pics from my Dragon.
I tried giving a little bit more highlight in blue and some white highlight in scales.

As usual, expecting your most honest critics XD
Killing is no fun, for me.
A dead person, feels no pain, no suffering.
Death is my gift, to enemies worth of my sword.
The rest will know the true definition of agony.
And i will make damn sure they live long enough to learn it.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

The highlights on the wings help enormously. They really define the separate wing sails.

The scales, especially on the top of the arch of the neck, still seem to blend together. But it's still an improvement over the unhighlighted version.
Ramza1987
Warrior

Post by Ramza1987 »

I seriously think i need better brushes. XD
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I live in Indiana, and that affords me the ability to go to GenCon every summer. One year I took time out of gaming events to attend a bunch of painting seminars. It's not something I would want to do every year, but I definitely think it was a great thing to do once.

The reason I bring this up is that in every single seminar, taught by some of the best painters in the industry, they all said that the single most important investment you can make into your painting that will make the biggest difference is brushes.

You want Kolinsky Sable Round brushes. They keep their point, hold lots of paint, and have good spring. They cost a little more, but with proper care, can last a long time too, so it pays off. I used to buy the cheapo Hobby Lobby brushes that were in packs of 4 for $3, but they didn't last long. But if you do buy some of those, use them JUST for for your normal painting and detail work. Don't use them on things like drybrushing, or basing, or texture type paints like the "astrogranite" basing stuff, or anything like that, because those kill brushes. Use the old Hobby Lobby stuff for that, and save your Kolinskys for the stuff where it needs to be right. Like those dragon scales! :)

Here is a link to some I use and have had success with. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand name, some people swear by Winsor and Newton Series 7 Round - in my experience these are the exact same brush without the name brand, for about half the price. As one of my teachers said, Kolinsky Sable is just a type of siberian weasel. So when somebody says they have better weasel hairs than somebody else, you have to wonder how that is. They are all from the same weasels.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/escod ... ted-round/

Hope that helps. It helped me tremendously. At the very least, I can't use lousy brushes as an excuse any more. =P
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Ramza1987
Warrior

Post by Ramza1987 »

OH believe me i know about Kolinsky Sable Round brushes very well, but the problem is there is anyone selling them here, so i need to get them from outside and i cant do that until next year, due to a stupid law in my country's customs that only allows me up to 4 packages per year, after that they charge you with taxes that go up to almost the value of the item you bought.... Thus making it incredibly unworthy. :(
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Ramza1987 wrote:OH believe me i know about Kolinsky Sable Round brushes very well, but the problem is there is anyone selling them here, so i need to get them from outside and i cant do that until next year, due to a stupid law in my country's customs that only allows me up to 4 packages per year, after that they charge you with taxes that go up to almost the value of the item you bought.... Thus making it incredibly unworthy. :(

Yikes. I'd be saving up and making sure they were 4 BIG packages. :)

Where do you live, Venezuela?! :shock:
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Ramza1987
Warrior

Post by Ramza1987 »

Uruguay. Where 3 million people 2 million idiots, and politician who state that they are here for the people but do laws to protect the big money owners from big stores (because buying online became WAY cheaper than buying here due to high prices). But hey! We have legal marihuana /sarcasm

That is more or less the story. xD