Monthly Conversion/Kitbash/Greenstuff Thread

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Monthly Conversion/Kitbash/Greenstuff Thread

Post by Shadowspite »

So, I thought we could do with another monthly 'challenge' thread, for those of us who seem to spend more time doing conversions/kitbashing/sculpting than painting.

There's only a week left of this month, so this first 'theme' will extend to next month as well. The theme is 'Wizards and Sorceresses'. Let's see the most impressive conversion of a spellcaster you've done recently or that you'll have done in the next month. Entries should preferably be unpainted so that we can get a sense of which parts came from different sources and what has been greenstuffed.

Here's my sorceress, Akhashi Harakhael, riding her black unicorn, Kheylthon:

Most of the model is (obviously) the metal Morathi and Sulephet, but with a head and staff top taken from the plastic WE/SoS kit. The unicorn's breast plate is a de-tongued SoS banner pole top. The saddlecloth was sculpted from greenstuff with dangling flesh hooks made from old dark eldar warrior bits and a SoS whip tip. The base decorations all came from the plastic dryad kit, except the winged sprite which is from the glade riders kit. The unicorn's horn was made by wrapping a thin sausage of greenstuff around a piece of brass rod. I'm not sure where the plastic spike at the end came from originally. Plastic chaos warriors, maybe? The older hunch-shouldered ones? It was floating around loose in my bits box, anyway.

I'm thinking of using some liquid greenstuff on the horn to make it look more like a narwhal's tusk and less like a barber's shop pole...
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Monthly Conversion/Kitbash/Greenstuff Thread

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great Idea Shadowspite - have not seen much of this on the forum for a while!

I will have to rummage through my bits box and see what I can come up with
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great idea. I need to do some green stuff work next month.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

That's a seriously impressive conversion!

I love the idea of aconversions thread - now I just need to get something going - no chance I'll make one in time for this month, as I take ages to think of how I'm going to do stuff before I start working on it, but what a great idea for a thread :)

I'm in (as soon as I can come up with a plan...)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Nice idea with this thread - I like watching other people conversions too. But it can be difficult to stick with the defined theme every month - maybe let's leave it with the 'open' category or just share what we have created recently ?

To contribute something - my latest work:
Medusa restored from a horribly damaged model a friend of mine gave me. She is supposed to emerge from the Cauldron (also work in progress). She is magnetised so she could be easily removed as I want my Cauldron/Shrine to be multi-purpose model.
medusa_shrine.jpg
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Excellent work on the scales. Which modelling putty is that yellow stuff? I don't recognise the colour.

Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Thanks, but it was actually quite easy to make them - I've just cut the pattern when the mass became solid. Putty is the most common type of Milliput (yellow/grey).
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Oh, OK. It just didn't look like the colour milliput usually comes out. Might just be the screen on my new laptop, though (colours all seem to be slightly too intense).

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

OK I haven't had the time to do a new sorceress conversion for this thread, but I did find a photo of this old one that I made about ten years ago. It was one of my earlier conversion attempts and if I'm honest, I'm a bit embarassed about the quality of the result. I have to say that, as with most miniatures, she looks a whole lot better on the table than she does in the unforgiving closeup picture, but I still cringe when I look at her left hand which was (badly) sculpted from green stuff.

The Sorceress Kyliriel

The torso and arms (minus her left hand) are from a witch elf but the dress is sculpted in green stuff over a stiff piece of wire to get the right height. I really love the way her dress looks - I think the shape and style came out just the way I wanted it to, and the silver threads look good too. The glittery effect was done with silver glitter nail polish over a white basecoat.

The inspiration for this conversion was the Midnight Moon Princess Barbie doll, and aside from some bad sculpting on the left hand, I think she turned out reasonably OK for an early attempt.

The Inspiration
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever