Fresh batch with simple Green (Pick Heavy)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Fresh batch with simple Green (Pick Heavy)

Post by Saintofm »

I finally had time to do this so I am soaking a dozen or so minies, some actualy warhammer, 2 fine cast, most plastic, about 3 or so metal, and I am going to start fresh. I will leave one guy out I was going to originally have in the mix, but I thought I would have him out for before and after comparisons and if I do see a player of any sort trying to get into this to showcase the difference between my first generation and my upteenth one. While I wait for three days for this to marinate, here are the before pictures.

Group Photo
[+] SPOILER

Not sure what company makes this one BUT it was going to be a witch elf of some sort. I will see if my local hoby shop has another I can try and look at.
[+] SPOILER

Here are three dark eldar sucubussess, and I think it was time to give them a better job on some parts, namely the face. I will probably use the same color scheme. Ditto for the hag.
[+] SPOILER

Most of these ones are from a anime esk game, but thought they were cool minies. I just don't like how I did the faces. Always the faces. The one in the back is from Raging heros, and i liked the fan and the sword over the whip and ray gun. All for are metal.
[+] SPOILER

From left to right: A Dark Eldar Mini I used as a lore of fire magic sorceress. Her dagger arm wass jacked up (one of the earlier fine cast releases) so I just made it flaing, and the dagger part broke off some time latter so I took a par spear and gave her a druchii like sword. The One with the spear is from Reaper, and I think is suppose to be a ranger. Thought I might have her for either D&D or a captured Maiden Guard. The rest are spearmen or crossbowmen
[+] SPOILER

Speaking of crossbows, here are some more in need of a face life...or a face.
[+] SPOILER
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Fresh batch with simple Green (Pick Heavy)

Post by cultofkhaine »

Good luck Saintofm - looking forward to watch you paint these. You have some nice mini's there!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thank you. Didn't expect a rely so soon.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Be nice to see what you do with these.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Well its been a few days so here are my thoughts: After using half a container of a few liter container, I have a few thoughts to mention.

These ones show the variation I have seen. Some like the guy in the middle it seems to come all off. The crossbowmen on the left show it wanting to come off but not quite ready. And then you have bits and peices of the spearwoman where it just wants to peal off.

[+] SPOILER

These ones are alittle different. I can see the base paint in a few spots on the finecast minies, either army painter Red or Flesh colored Base spray paints. I also noticed something else: While minies by and large stayed glued togeather, the odd fix or shield would come off. Some like the spearmen in the second group didn't look like it had been dipped at all.

[+] SPOILER

This hag hardly looks touched.
[+] SPOILER

I swear she cleans up good. Her paint came off fairly easy, like she was desperate to disrobe.
[+] SPOILER

Tools I used. The toothbrush helped out a bit, but after a while I had to grab some of my greenstuff tools to get some of it to come off, or even just rub or scratch it off with my fingertips nails.
[+] SPOILER

I did not realize how time consuming this was so I had 20 minutes for a break whe doing yard work at my house and in that time I really just got the following done, and much of the one had already been cleansed by the end of it.

[+] SPOILER
ImageImage

My thoughts on the matter:

I may have had too many guys in too small of bucket. What I had wasn't much bigger then what my neices and nephews use to get Easter eggs. I had it filled just a little more then the tallest mini and i had about 24 or 25 in there. I think the difference between paints used over the year, including GW's older stuff and the newers stuff, pluse a couple other paints from other companies. THe earl ones also may have been on too thick as well.

As is I have them in a bucket of water to see what happens While I see if there is anything else to do with these.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I've found a cheap electric toothbrush really helps in cleaning stripped paint off old minis. You can keep the mini immersed (hold it under with long-nose pliers) while the toothbrush does all the hard work. Even gets the paint out of highly-textured surfaces like chainmail and fur.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Shadowspite wrote:I've found a cheap electric toothbrush really helps in cleaning stripped paint off old minis. You can keep the mini immersed (hold it under with long-nose pliers) while the toothbrush does all the hard work. Even gets the paint out of highly-textured surfaces like chainmail and fur.

Thanks. I will check a dollar store latter to see what they got.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Have some base paints, some new purchases (all from a Texas based Reaper, save for everyone's favorite warrior skaven, and some old projects I forgot, and one I need to do some touch ups.
So these ones are peices I will do inbetween the others as I can only do so much as the paint dries and I might as well use the paint I got out before it dries.
[+] SPOILER
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Here are the main four after new base coating.

[+] SPOILER
ImageImageImageImage
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I like the dood with the pirate hat!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Up date, I got the first four painted, and the other 21 back in the bucket of simple green for a week. Until then I will start another painting blog and show case some of those there as well. I will probably check on them the first teusday in May less you think the simple green will kill the plastic or resin between now and then, and maybe grab a few here and there that look almost ready ish. I think I may have taken a few out too soon and left them to dry back to that.

Untl then the updates and a question for comparisons.

I live in the USA, so i am just wondering a few things for price comparisons.

A GW hero like Squeek Headtaker (Now just a Skaven Warlord) is about 20 bucks.
Something from Spain's Tales of War may be between 10-20 bucks
https://estore-sslserver.eu/taleofwar.c ... Categories
Raging Heros is about 15-20.
Avitars of War, again spain, about 15
http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/i ... &Itemid=53
Gamezone Minitures between about 7 and 30 bucks.

All these are European in origin.

Go east a couple of states to the Land of the Four Horseman Eating Challnge, Double Toasted Studios, and Yeeha in Texas and we have Reaper where even with the metals, I rarly find somethin more then about 6-7 bucks, with the resins being closer to about 2-3 bucks.
https://www.reapermini.com/

Is it location and distance that adds to the pricing, or is it the companies going wanting more money for the same product, or are they looking at different demographics? Just curious.

Now for the rest.

Crossbowman!
Forgot to put the magazin back on, will look for that later...maybe. Before and after.

In anycase as he is just the rank and file trooper, I went through him the fastest. I ended up having more green out then I thought so I used tat on both the dragon and the cloth.
[+] SPOILER

Spinning Sorceress
I thougt I keep the green robes and the red and blue flames as well as the eye colors. I also decided to add that to the hair, because A.) anime based minie. The laws of physics and nature are already just a sugestin as is. And B.) Sorceress. Reality is an oppinion she doesn't agree with.
[+] SPOILER

The Noble
The blade is a mix of black and a dark metalic grey, I forget the name but i beleive its from Privatire Press. The armor was a mix of a blood red colored paint, that metalic. It ended up looking too metalic pink. SO the next layer I took the black and metalic mix and mixed in with the other and got a look I like.

I wanted him to have pale skin and dark hair to be a traditional drchii noble, taking a coupe coats of white as there was a black base coat.

The cloak was another batter. It would have been easier to take it off and paint it then. As is the hard to reach places around his back I took the longest strand brush i have and went to work. A couple layers of red works for me.
[+] SPOILER

The Ranger
I took a thin light brown for the armor, one I think I will need to do later but once I get a brown I like, but I have the leather armor I like. As before she is mostly green with red hair. I decided to use a little brass color for the decoration on her quiver.
[+] SPOILER

While I waited for things to dry, here are other finished projects.

Harpy Demona
[+] SPOILER

Sorceress with Dragon Chick/Summoner for Pathfinder/Hunter
[+] SPOILER
ImageImage

Lady Paladin
[+] SPOILER
ImageImage

Geisha/sorceress
[+] SPOILER
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Got some new ones ready. It took about 2 and half hours with an electric brush and several changes of water, but I did it.

Here we go and coments about them

Main Death Hag.
Like my other metal minis, the paint came off fairly easily. She looks good back in black, though I had to be quick as it is suppose to rain where I live tomorrow (or sometime in the day light hours, whatever happens first when I get done typing this)
[+] SPOILER
ImageImage

Some Foot Soldiers
[+] SPOILER
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Another Crossbowwoman.
Was a champion at one point before I combined what I had a few years ago to make a single unit of 20.
[+] SPOILER

One I forgot was even a woman. It wasn't until I striped the paint that I saw the two lumps behind the crossbow.
[+] SPOILER
ImageImage

Forgot what this one is from, will have to find again.
In any case I couldn't get all the yellow off. THe bit of green stuff in the back was there to cover the rump as she was thonging it. I was
[+] SPOILER
ImageImage

Dark Eldar Lhamean
The interesting thing about this one as when I started cleaning it with an electric toothbrush the water in the small butcket I was using was turning red and eventualy pink almost imediatly. THe Flames didn't budge, but I got enough off her to work with her again. She dosn't look half bad.
[+] SPOILER
ImageImage
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Holy Crap I finaly got this group done. :burns: :killed: :o_O: It just took a week to paint.
Base Coat Black

Main Death Hag.
Her "armor" and weapons were first done with with Army Painter's Crystla blue then with a mix of this and some mythril silver, adding little by little till it hit the right mixture to have more blue then silver. I had to do couple of couats of a orenge paint from privateer press, and If I were to do this again I might try finding a lighter shade, but for now I like the red head.

The skin was also a light cocation (still int he pink) spectrum of skin tone, but the first layer dried darker so I did the next layer with a bit of white. The base had been painted white a few minutes after I took the pictures and I will add some fake snow to it as I have it in my mind, my army's general first finds her lost in the chaos north's winter months.

[+] SPOILER

Dread Spears and Dark Shards.
As usual I made more paint then I could use so I decided to make the best of it and use it on their armor as A. I ended up missing too many spots with the previous night's painting with mythrill silver and B. I decided I was tired of looking at silver armor.
The bases were done using a failed experiment with one of my browns (Beastial Brown by Priviteer Press) and a GW black that is still somehow not used up. Not wanting to waste the paint, I used it for that.

the leather parts was the opposite: The Beastial brown and white, which made it almost like a creamy skin tone I might use for a more middle eastern themed charecter later on (I might do a saranrite later on for Pathfinder)
[+] SPOILER
ImageImageImageImage

Witch Elf/Dancer Champ

[+] SPOILER
Image[img]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/13133358_883747698419124_432141314329379958_n.jpg?oh=3a915c84dff8d7d2fdda8bccfe53effb&oe=57B84AF9[img][/img]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/13124608_883747688419125_7559709588019725271_n.jpg?oh=b0b7b79cc942b48364fd5a0c7cf769b3&oe=57BAC6FE[/img]

Either Tuesday or wednsday will I will try to get another group done. I think I have a few crosbowmen left and a bunch of sucbussess to do.
Varred
Slave on the Altar

Post by Varred »

Hi there. Your progress is really fast. :D
I know i'm new here, but i have some advice for You ;)
1. Before colors like yellow and orange over black undercoat it is good to give the mini a coat of brown. Those colors get better coverage this way.
2. Thin down the light colors even more than dark ones as they tend to show more faults.
3. Use washes. While i understand that shading on such big armies as in WHFB can be tiring ( i'm still doing it tho :p), washes are the simplest way to get things done. As of now colours look too flat in my opinion. Skin could use some shadows in the recesses and wrinkles.
Just my two cents. Keep it up.
Cherrs
Varred
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thank you. I will try the washes when I finish with this, and the advice on the light colors and orange will help alot.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Get out the champagne I am done with this experiment.

SO Time for the final group.

Dark Eldar Sucubussess/Death Hags.
I did much of the same colors, and even found my can of White Primer so its the shade I want.
The arm on the one is mix of de spearmen and parts of a high elf spear like she's throwing a javalin as her arm glaive fell apart. Happened to the other one like it too.
[+] SPOILER

Real Death Hag
[+] SPOILER

Soldiers
[+] SPOILER

Dreadlord
Kinda giving up on the face for the most part, but I kept the albino look for the skin and hair. I may try get the eyes later. I've always not been skilled in that so I rarely try.

[+] SPOILER

Overal, I think a week or more in green stuff is beter then a min if 3 days.