Shade conversion

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
smally23
Slave on the Altar

Shade conversion

Post by smally23 »

Hey all,

Just wanted to get people's opinion about shade conversions, as I don't like the current shade model.

I was thinking of using shadow warriors, cutting off the bow arms and replacing with xbows from xbowmen (as ice got tons of spares), and then for great weapons to use executioner spares and cutting off both shadow warrior arms.

Cheers,
Josh
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Shade conversion

Post by cultofkhaine »

Howdy Josh and welcome to the forum.

I think your conversion idea sounds great, do you have some bits handy already, perhaps you could post up an example pic for us all to take a look at.

The only thing I think would be an issue with your idea is from memory the Shadow Warriors legs have plate armour - you might need to paint it as scale mail or greenstuff some chainmail (depends how fussy you are I guess)
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I think most of us have done some convertions here and there.

I did a group that were largly a mix of old school DE warriors and glade guard, and any other spar bits I had
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
smally23
Slave on the Altar

Post by smally23 »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Howdy Josh and welcome to the forum.

I think your conversion idea sounds great, do you have some bits handy already, perhaps you could post up an example pic for us all to take a look at.

The only thing I think would be an issue with your idea is from memory the Shadow Warriors legs have plate armour - you might need to paint it as scale mail or greenstuff some chainmail (depends how fussy you are I guess)

Hey, thanks!! Been a member for a while just never posted. Trying to get back into warhammer more so 9th age.

Ye I'll def send picks once I put one together, yep I've got those bits handy from making blackguard and spearmen
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Mine are mostly glade guard, with a few DE parts and some greenstuff:

A combination of shadow warrior and corsair parts also works (these are not mine):
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

This seems to be the most common one. Its after looking at a PLOG on it from one poster I did my own. I also added a few greenstuff here and there, especially with the cloaks. I also added Corsair (the daggers and handbow drawstring and crossbar parts) and charioteer (the white lion cloak on the one in red), and even Tau (the one really big crossbow is half a Kroot Gun)

Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Although the conversion is common among Dark Elves, the paintjob is based on Assassins Creed

Based on Wood Elf Glade Guards, personally I love the Corsair box for her bits, but the options are unlimited :)
smally23
Slave on the Altar

Post by smally23 »

Thanks for all your replies, has giving me good ideas!

I found this link http://thetwelveolympians.co.uk/tale-of ... es-part-2/ has a good photo of the idea I was going for.

I had a look at all the elf models available I am currently undecided between shadow warriors and wildwood Rangers only for legs, bodies and head, I have the bits for swords and xbows (from spearmen) and great weapons from executioners
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I went with the Wildwood Rangers when I did my conversions. Those, corsair arms, and select Dark Eldar heads (Kabalite or Wyches, I'd have to look at the ranges closer...). Good luck!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

very very good!!!

Lord Drakon wrote:Although the conversion is common among Dark Elves, the paintjob is based on Assassins Creed

Based on Wood Elf Glade Guards, personally I love the Corsair box for her bits, but the options are unlimited :)
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I just smoothed a layer of greenstuff over the scales on the cloaks of handbow corsairs. Paint the cloak suitably cloth-y and done.