VC Spirit Hosts for Frostgrave

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

VC Spirit Hosts for Frostgrave

Post by Gnosis »

Been a while since I painted any GW models, so here goes. Some Spirit Hosts which will be used as random encounter monsters in Frostgrave (a better version of Mordheim).

First off: these are an absolute nightmare to build. The different ghostly tentacles have to be glued together at specific locations where they pass eachother, at very minute contact points which are not at all clear to identify. These joins end up being very brittle, and if you don't line them up 100% correctly you'll then have trouble gluing the heads on - the 'hairs' will start interlocking means the heads won't fit. These Spirit Hosts are quite possibly the worst plastic kit I've ever had to assemble in my fifteen years of hobby experience.

Still, once painting got underway, I had a lot of fun. Over a white undercoat I basecoated gauss blaster green, then sybarite green, then kabalite green, but I applied these basecoats increasingly away from the face, arms and tips of the lower 'bodies', effectively creating a transitional effect from white to a middle dark green. The weapons were basecoated silver, and after this I washed the models entirely in coelia greenshade. Once dry I applied white highlights to the faces, arms and 'tails' to bring the detail back on them, and I applied a sepia wash to the skeletons on the bases. The sand on the bases was painted dark brown and then both the bases and the skeletons were given a white drybrush. It's so simple, which is also why I like them so much I decided to show them to you.

I'd like to do more of these, but someone else will have to assemble them for me...
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Sabious
Executioner

Re: VC Spirit Hosts for Frostgrave

Post by Sabious »

They look so great. Just want to see more more more!
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Nice! I know what you mean about the contact points; it seems like GW tries to challenge itself with how minimal of contact points it can make... :roll:

I'm loving some Frostgrave though, glad to see another player on here!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look great Gnosis - very Ethereal!

Where can I get some more info on Frostgrave, it seems like a good game to play.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Ospreygames.co.uk

It's a great game and you can make warbands out of models you already have. I have a Dark Elf Sigilist warband and a Beastmen Witch warband that I regularly play with.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

A simple but very effective paint scheme. Yours look much better with the high contrast between the darkest and lightest parts than the 'Eavy Metal Team's rather cartoony-looking version (which I think used Nihilakh Oxide as the wash over white). When I eventually get round to doing my Death army for AoS, I'll probably do something similar for my ethereals.

Coelia Greenshade over silver looks like it would work well for the poisoned weapons of my DE Assassins, as well. Much better than the usual yellowy green 'poison' effect.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Thank you all. I'm entering a model into a painting contest in a bit, and if I actually win I'll pick up the Start Collecting Malignants box as my prize so I can do some more. I'm thinking of varying among the different units of ethereals and of doing some with blue and others with purple, but using the same techniques.

Shadowspite wrote:Coelia Greenshade over silver looks like it would work well for the poisoned weapons of my DE Assassins, as well. Much better than the usual yellowy green 'poison' effect.

One thing I forgot to mention in my little guide in the OP is that I did highlight the weapons back up again with silver - otherwise it's too dark. But it might be my coelia greenshade pot as well, I've had it for several years now and it might be a bit thicker, and thus more opaque, than normal.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Nice work Gnosis! They look great.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze