Supplies!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
squirrelloid
Slave (off the Altar)

Supplies!

Post by squirrelloid »

So, it's been years since i last painted, and, more importantly, it's been a decade since I last bought paints. So my old paints are all dry (>.<), the inks are probably super concentrated, and quite honestly I probably need better modelling tools than what i was using before. But let's start with paints.

The last time I bought paints en-masse, GW sold a metallic briefcase with their whole paint line in it. Yes, it was that long ago. That was quite useful. Does GW even do a full set of paints thing anymore? I don't even recognize the colors these days, and the base/layer/dry distinction feels more like decisions i used to make, not an actual distinction in the paints. I assume 'shades' are inks? I don't even know...

-Should I even bother with GW paints, or is there someone else with a comparable (or superior) paint line that's better? I'm used to how GW paints handle, so I wouldn't want to get too far from that.
-Is there a way to get a full set of paints from GW or whomever? (I'll be doing DE + a little Slaanesh, and one of myself or my wife will be painting Brets - that she's playing is enough xP - so it won't hurt to just have a full paint range.)
-Since I'm starting fresh armies, I don't even have to worry about matching! (If I ever go back to my 40k stuff, I'll deal with that then).

-Who makes good brushes today? GWs old brushes were kinda bad, and I suffered through it before, but i'd rather have something that doesn't feel like it's got a real lifespan of 5 models.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Re: Supplies!

Post by Shadowspite »

GW's current line of paints is actually really good, but expensive. You definitely don't want the whole set, as there are nearly 200 of them and it would set you back something close to £500! GW do sell various bundles, but to be honest you're better just picking the individual paints you think you'll need (I can give you some pointers if you let me know what colour schemes you're thinking of - I also collect DE and Slaanesh). Their newest metallics are the best on the market at present IMO. AFAIK, Retributor Armour is the only water-based bright gold paint any manufacturer has managed to produce that will cover flawlessly over black in a single coat.

But, like I said, they're pricy. Vallejo paints are nearly as good, but you get a lot more for your money. Their metallics mostly suck, though. I'd really recommend GW metallics even if you get everything else from Vallejo. Vallejo paints come in dropper bottles rather than pots, if that's an issue for you.

The different 'lines' of GW paints are actually quite different formulations. You can't really use their Dry paints for anything other than drybrushing, but for drybrushing they are excellent. Their Shades are not really inks - if you want 'traditional' inks I recommend Vallejo Game Inks. GW Shades are dark-pigmented paints thinned down to a wash consistency with matt medium. They're better for most shading tasks than the old GW inks ever were, but you can't glaze or blackline with them. GW do a separate line of Glazes which (are you noticing the theme yet?) work better for glazing than inks but are no use for anything else.

Base paints are thick and opaque and are mostly dark colours. They cover well over black. Layer paints are just like GW paints have always been, but there is a much better range of colours, tones, tints and shades than previously. If money is no object, you could get away with never having to mix anything ever again. Edge paints are just Layer paints in lighter tints (or, to put it another way, they are the same colours as the Dry paints but formulated in normal paint consistency).

GW's 'Technical' paints are really useful. They do crackle paints for desert-themed bases, and texture paints which are way quicker than the old PVA-and-sand basing technique. Blood For The Blood God works really well for blood effects that used to require mixing red paint and ink and gloss varnish. The 'gemstone' paints are good for doing lacquered armour effects.

You can get crackle and texture paints much more cheaply elsewhere, of course (e.g. Vallejo!), so it depends on how much you are likely to use them. If you only need small amounts and you're buying a bunch of GW paints anyway, you might as well get them from there too.

Don't buy GW brushes. Only the Artificer brushes are any good, and they're all overpriced. Don't buy any modelling tools from GW either. They are the same tools you can get elsewhere for half the price or less.

Army Painter brushes are a good compromise between quality and price. Their 'Wargames Mega Brush Set' has every brush you are ever likely to need, and you should be able to pick it up for under £30 if you shop around online, which is around half what it would cost you to get all the equivalent GW brushes (and the Army Painter brushes are better quality and will last longer). If you're happy with just a standard brush, detail brush and drybrush, Army Painter does a 'Starter Set' of those three brushes for around £8.

Hope that's helpful!
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I have had fun with Privateer press's varieties as well as a handful from army painter, though I like the containers for PP better.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Shadowspite covered most of the bases pretty well, but I'd add that good brushes make all the difference. Make sure you buy Kolinsky Sable brushes, the manufacturer is secondary. The "gold standard" is Winsor and Newton Series 7, but again, any Kolinsky Sable round should do fine. I have had good luck with "Escoda Optimo Round", cheaper than W&N and I can't tell any difference whatsoever.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/escod ... l-brushes/

I'd also be remiss if I failed to mention a wet palette. I did a tutorial that's featured on here, I'll link it. They work great.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75680&p=910044#p910267

Finally, my actual paint usage is kind of all over the place. I have plenty of GW and Vallejo, but also Reaper Master Series, and some Privateer Press P3 line. As Shadowspite said, GW is still great and I love their Metallics, Shades, and Technicals. I love P3's skin tones and my fave color is their "Sanguine Base" - super great deep red that looks perfect on dark elves imo. Vallejo is great all around, and Reaper has a neat thing called "Triads", which are essentially a paint 3-pack with a base, highlight, and shade color matched together. Can be a real time-saver.

Hope that helps a bit more.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

For paintbrushes, I order mine here:
http://www.rosemaryandco.com/index.php? ... ommon/home
Reasonabl cheap and good quality. Mine lasted a few years. I will be replacing them now, though I wonder if better care for my brushes would have kept them longer.

I can second the new metallics from GW. They are quite a jump ahead in quality. I can't compare the regular paints, since I lack experience with any other paint. My only negative about GW paints is that they seem to dry up quite fast in the pot. I rarely finish a pot of paint before having to throw it away. Granted, I could perhaps paint more and quicker ;)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Daeron wrote:For paintbrushes, I order mine here:
http://www.rosemaryandco.com/index.php? ... ommon/home
Reasonabl cheap and good quality. Mine lasted a few years. I will be replacing them now, though I wonder if better care for my brushes would have kept them longer.

I can second the new metallics from GW. They are quite a jump ahead in quality. I can't compare the regular paints, since I lack experience with any other paint. My only negative about GW paints is that they seem to dry up quite fast in the pot. I rarely finish a pot of paint before having to throw it away. Granted, I could perhaps paint more and quicker ;)

Cheaper than my source Daeron, thanks for the link! :)

And yes. If you paint with a pallete, I don't know anybody that prefers pot paints as a container over dropper bottles. The dropper is superior for keeping the product from drying while in use, AND allows for more accurate mixing.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I can testify to the quality of Army Painter brushes. It seems like their bristles have a longer life span than GW brushes in my opinion.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Agreed that GW metallics are among the best. Boltgun Metal/Leadbelcher or whatever they're calling it this week is about the best metallic silver you can get. Sadly GW's gold metallics are nothing like as good quality. IMO the very best gold is Privateer Press P3-Formula Blighted Gold - it has the same consistency and covering power as GW Boltgun Metal and is way better than any of the thin and weedy GW gold metallics.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I picked up some of GW's Retributor Gold the other day for my next Slaanesh project and that is excellent!
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I thought the old GW golds worked just fine. But then, I'd layer up from tin bitz or dwarf bronze up through to a mix of mithril silver and burnished gold for the top highlights.

I haven't had a chance to play with the new GW metals yet; haven't yet run out of the old ones.