Show us Your Hydras and Kharibdyss (pic heavy)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Show us Your Hydras and Kharibdyss (pic heavy)

Post by Saintofm »

Well I finished with the main projects I am on, and I am going to wait untul I get more minies before I do Sister of slaughter, BUT here are some of are living tanks and bullldzers. And since they are the same kit, and I doubt he have alot of each in our armies, here's a good rundown of the beasties.

Insperation: Both the Kharibdyss and the hydra have some Greek myth in the mix. The Hydra was one of the offspringe between the Mother of Monsters (Echidna, womanly top half and serpentine lower half) and the Typhon (hundred headed dragon and secret weapon of the Titans,), this dragon lived in a swampy area and was one of the many trials of Hercules. Taking off a head should have been a sure fire way of killing anything, but in the end it just made things worse as loose one head, and two more take more takes tits place. Eventually Herc and a young assistant realized they had to smash the heads with a club and burn them to stop the regeneration, with the venom spewing middle head he choked to dead. The toxic blood was later used to coat his arrows, as it was supposedly toxic enough to kill a god.

The Aquatic part fits the Kbeast, which design wise is more on par of something lovecraftian, and its a sea monster but otherwise shares nothing else but a sialar sounding name with Charybdis which was a massive maw that sucked in massive amounts of water like a drain, only to spit it out. This beast was referenced in the Odyssy, and may have been inspired by a massive ship destroying whirlpool.

Game Hystory:

The hydra is the oldestI do not know how long the hydra has been in play, but I will say a long long time. I know its in the Hero Hammer manual in 5th edd, but it started out as one of our few really good units in 6th and one most players stood by.

It had a tough 4+ armor save, and a monster with thanks to its number of attacks and such was really good at killing things, survivng, and combing back for more. it alsoe hada secondary save called Regeneration which on a 4+ if armor failed, you could be saved by this. The only times it could't was with killing blow (a 1 in 6 chance of insant killing a foe, ignoreing both their armor and regens, though another type of sav at the tume called ward saves [which was more mysticle/divinly bless/just that lucky] could), and flaming attacks such as the damaging spells from the sadly missed Lore of Fire and Lore of Metal.

THey also had a flaming breath attack which was mostly a distance thing but could also used up close and personal.

Seventh edd the beastmasters were no longer a factor and would not come back until 7th edd where we got their attacks back and about Age of sigmare where they add a couple token attacks and may make the beast go faster (or loose a wound as it deals with the animal cruelty )

I beleve about 8th edd, but could have been 7th, we get the Loose one head and another pops up rule, where one could pop up, allowing it takea few hits which could loose some attack power but had the chance to get it back.

Minies wise were a had a large saurian mini with several serpentine heads which was cool looking. Blueberry down bewlow was about 7th eddition and had the head crests. Both of these had cool designs and cool pewter beastmasters. Beastmasters in 6h eddition were small charecters (45 points, not much more different then champions save they could ride manticores) often made for cool charecters. One of my dreadlords, a gal ina black Kido and, is one (the cloak is greenstuffed, and the sword arm actualy is a part of one of three assassins back in that erra...THey were cool looking).

Around 8th edd we were introduced to the K beast, and man is it a big one. The beastmasters are cool, with one of them on a mini whcih ws muscularly built and more aquatic and had some cool head frills.

The k beast heads were equally impressive, with fangs and tendrils.

It was at this time I started noticng something wih the monsters in the game: Most were in one of two groups: Brawlers and Crowde Controle.

The hydra was more crowd control. It had a the strength and constitution to go toe to toe with another monster and win but between a high number of attacks, the breath attacks which could add a ton of auto hit attacks, the then thunderstomp where monsters could make another D6 auto hit attacks, and the beastmasters, you could turn a unit that was meant to swarm unto mulch (I figure against a human, elf, or goblin army, its main 7 attacks would ht on 4's and wound on 2's while its high strength woulld go through 2 layers of armor+2D6 S4 auto hit attacks that could wound on 3's and go though a layer of armor, 2 guys hitting on 3's and wounding on 4's, and a thunderstomp that would deal man sized minies another D6 attacks at the power of the main attack= Potentialy allowing him to get 8-13 attacks assured to butcher the average warrior+ average attacks which were more annoying then game breaking, and 2-12 flaming acttacks that could do decent enough damage. That is anywhere from 12-27 attacks in one round). See also Vortex Beast, Cygores, and Thundertusk.

The K beast was what I called a Brawler; a high power monster meant for killing other monsters and high armored eleite units that typicly come in smaller units. Most monsters come here, but the K beast with his S6 attacks, a feast of bones that potentialy added more attacks if all of his hit a single target, could have some fun. THe Abysmal howl also works as it does now, freaking the enemy out.

Now adays, both can go either or. Much of the hydra remains the same, but the number of attacks has only gone up.
Ditto for k beast with the number of attacks, and his feast of bones allows it a chance to get some wounds back up. Add a howl and most units will start running after a while.

Main stratagies:

In previous effitions, the hydra was used as followed.

1. On its own, it was a tank and meant to rip things apart, but was best for moderately armored foes that came in mass.
2. Have it tage along another unit like Knights or chariots, and when they charge he can flank the enemy. As a support unit they could deal lots of damage.

So hoard blender and support.

The K beast was also a support unit, but was more at home killing knights and giants.

1. tag along another unit for support.
2. Monster slayer.

Today both units can slay the flood of goblins, a mass of iron jawz, and take down a wyvern.

So here are some minies of mine.
Here are my stuff.

Hydra Blueberry.

I give my monsters cutsy names so if and when they do kill something they can be a little more impact to it. Plus I am a fan of the Tv Trope's: Fluffy the Terrible (where something that should be threatening is given a none theatening name, like the Gorila Rabit named Flopsy in Avitar: The Last Airbender, or at least one webcomic where a guy names his Gharidose Mr. Fishy).

I had him a long time and he paid himself off within a few games. My knights and dreadlord runs away, he takes out skinks, sourous warriors, and a stegadon without a care in the world.

I have done some touch ups here and there, but white nails and spikes, largly blue hide, and bloody maws were part of it. My sea dragon claoks from my first corsair have been a torqouze or teel color so I continued that with them. The whipes were using up an old bronze paint up.

You can see a piece of paperclip on him which helps him stay uright. I noticed he fell down a bit, and well, as much as I like the spikes...they hurt alot when you have to hold him tight while the superglue dries.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Turtle hydra.

I wanted to do this for a while, and since the first Royal Hydra GW did for the creative juices for the hobbiests was mixing a hydra and spar Karnifex parts, I did the reverse: ACarnifex with spar hydra parts, namly a few of the heads and necks, and the two claws. I might greenstff more reptilian feat later. To show off the healing prowess of the hydra, I made a couple of the heads look like they were spouting up on newly formed heads using some of the skinnier Karnifex arms, the Gunafex arms I beleive.

I added the corsair for flavo (its charging prey) and I needed something to lean on as it dried.

I origionaly wanted a desert tortouse feel to him so I did a yellow, but no one on the site liked it so it was made green. I may due that in a few years.

The one actual beastmaster is from the lattest kit. His female partner I am saving for later project: When I get a manticore!!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Kharybdyss: Mr. Cudddles

Coloring wise, I wanted to give him a deep see look, so a very dark blue. I used a lighter blue here and there, namly arond the mouths as any a deep see creature has biofloresences, and much of it is blue. I figure this could be a way to attract mates and food (why work for it when food works for you!). The red in parts is due to most creatures cannot see red, and red light rarly appears on the deep see, so many creatures have a red lbioluminescence (and in the case of one nasty looking fish, a literal pair of headlights with a red glow)

The two beast masters are Dark Eldar Wyches. I wanted to have them on here as an experiment, but also becausue the rest would be used as Sisters of slaughter, and these were obviousoly dudes.

The outstretched claw was too perfect so I put one of the beastmastrs on there, and its a perfect fit. Now he looks like he applied the lash a little too much.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

How about you guys?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Catrine
Trainee Warrior

Re: Show us Your Hydras and Kharibdyss (pic heavy)

Post by Catrine »

Sure, I'll bite, I've only got the one Hydra, but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out:

Whilst the beastmasters are nice models I've occluded them cos they'd have to be standing in lava and I couldn't squeeze them decently on the land.
It's a nice model, though I wish it was more flexible in terms of posing, the static pose means I'm unlikely to want to build/paint another. In game it mostly serves to miss all of it's attacks at a critical juncture, but at least it's fairly tough!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I'm the same - only have one so far!

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Still looking for a hydra for my army but here's my Kharibdyss.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Got two.

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

My Har Ganeth Kharibdyss
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I like the stripes! Sort of a Beetlejuice vibe. :)

Here's my Kharibdyss:

Rest of photos are HERE.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Modelled mine more like a sea serpent. Painted it like a shark whale.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Very cool! I really like both the vibrant blue colour scheme and the sleeker, more serpentine way you've built it.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Wow, just wow
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Yuck that's a nasty one! Creepy lurker you got there! Amazing work.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I just realizeed something about the K beast's tounge, and it was looking at cal's that made me think of it.

Helicorion: Beleived to be a shark of some sort, they are unsure just what it might have looked like simply due to its teeth or more to the point how they were shaped:

Look Familiar?

Catrine
Trainee Warrior

Post by Catrine »

I believe the Helicoprion models which put the tooth-whorl at the front of the jaw are somewhat updated nowadays, more recent evidence suggests the spiral configuration was likely set deeper inside the mouth, as smaller variants are found in other, similar species.

Regardless the Kharybdiss model is certainly modeled after that particular fossil curiosity.