[PLOG] Holts time to share

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

[PLOG] Holts time to share

Post by Holt »

Thought I would put together a bit of a thread with the models I have been working on lately/will be working on in the future with the aim to keep the modelling motivation going. While the majority of them should be Dark Elves there will also be a few times where my Daemons of Chaos models make an appearance. Might put explanations up, might not. Might keep this up to date, might not. Might end up with 10 pages of my own comments, hopefully not. We'll see how it goes.

Just a few photos to start out. First up is my freshly finished (unless I decide it needs dipping like the rest of the army...) Chaos Dwarf Magma Cannon. Gonna be running it as a Skull Cannon in my Daemons army and if I ever get to putting together and painting my other one he will have some company.

These are a couple of recent purchases. Too long have I been running my Sorceress on a pegasus model as a hero that is meant to be clad in full head to toe armour while I use a fully armoured model on a horse as a mounted Sorceress. I can imagine it doesn't go down too well with the people I play against at tournaments and so this will be changing soon. Picked up a couple of Morathis dark pegasus models from the guy that originally taught me how to play but they had a distinct lack of wings. Luckily horses don't need wings and I need a horse. Also picked up an older style peg from Trade Me at a price I'm a bit ashamed I paid but after putting it together I think it was worth it.

Lack of wings? A friend helped out here with these older dragon wings. They're probably a bit on the large side but I'm not too worried. Along with a piece from the Skull Cannon plastic kit that will be a standard for my Blood Crushers given a bit of time.

And finally whatever this thing is. It's about 60mm wide and was just sitting in the rubbish pile at work looking like a Lizardman temple/artefact objective thing and so it worked its way into my pocket.

So not much in the way of painting just yet, or really even any modelling but it's a start :)
Last edited by Holt on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] Devils time to share

Post by Amboadine »

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck.
Fuzzybear
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Fuzzybear »

Whatever you paid for there old Pegasus is worth it. It's a lovely model and well worth owning.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Updates already. Did a bit of gluing with my pegasus and finally got into the box of Coldone Knights that a friend gave me after he won them at a tournament last year. Used the legs that came with the original model as nothing I could make was going to fit as well as these, luckily for me a CoK torso fits quite easily onto these legs.

And with the beginnings of a paint job, here is a bit of a size comparison. This model is pretty big, so much for the scale creep considering the older model is substantially bigger in this situation. I have to agree with you Fuzzybear, well worth paying almost the price of a new model for it, doesn't sound like paying too much but I'm pretty tight when it comes to buying models usually !lol!

Went to my local, Mark One, recently. Spent some money on models for a display board that I probably wont be using for a year. Future Devils will benefit. It is the Balewind Vortex model. I had to buy the pack of 2 so the Magewraith Throne found its way onto Trade Me. This is the first model that I have bough from Games Workshop in I don't know how long, perhaps since the previous Dark Elf book came out? Apart from a couple of characters but it doesn't sound impressive if I say since like 2 months ago.

So gonna be reasonably busy for the next little while. Should have some decent results though. Once again not much in the way of painting but the models are headed that way soon.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hadn't realised Morathi was dwarfed that much by the old model.
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

Do love the old pegasus model - I have one from back in the day myself!

Also am using it now for a peg master, though I used the dragon rider model as opposed to the COK. Pics: http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73923#p888504

Have fun with the painting!
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Yea she's a tiny model compared to this big thing. The older model looks a lot more combat orientated so it makes sense to be using it for my combat character, right?

Yours looks good done in darker colours Scythe, not a bad idea using the dragon rider model. Does it sit on the pegasus as well as the original legs?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

The latest addition to my fully painted list is the Balewind Vortex. My daemon heroes now have podium fit for their evil ways. Gave it a go trying to paint some sort of effect that they have on the box, starting out as a bright white leading up to a reddish orangey yellow. Turned out it was quite hard to do first go and so I ended up just giving it a red base and slowly working up through orange to yellow. Didn't turn out too bad I don't think. O I also gave it a go painting the skulls as skulls but I think they look better as flaming skulls and it was a bit easier to do them the same colour as the rest of the vortex

ImageImageImage

And now that I have given my display board a bit of an upgrade, back into its sweet resting spot on the garage wall.

The wings that are pictured earlier have attached themselves (if only it was that easy) to one of my previously wingless pegasus models and one of the Coldone Knights jumped aboard after been slightly converted into a BSB with the Old Worlds smallest army standard/pennants. They've both gone and gotten themselves all undercoated too. One day they may even end up painted.

Those wings turned out not too bad, a bit lopsided but that's what happens when trying to get greenstuff and super glue to set on something that doesn't quite match up right in the first place I guess.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Vortex has come out nicely.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Thanks Amboadine, fairly happy with how it turned out. Should be fairly original too.

Now that I've signed up for some tournaments the actual painting part is getting done a little bit quicker. Managed to get this guy painted while working in him on and off over the last few days. Not too happy with the way that his armour has turned out, almost solid red looks terrible but I tried to break it up with some ink, cream cloths and a green symbol on the shield that you can't really see in the pictures. The flame theme on the pegasus just goes along with my other models. A bit tacky but I don't mind it too much.

ImageImage
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Ah the tournament motivation :)

The red armour does look alittle dusty and flat. Perhaps a red glaze may help there if you get a chance.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Yea that could add a bit of depth to it that would help a bit. I'll look into it.

A week into painting my Executioners (old Black Guard models that will be joining my Executioners instead) and just 6 have been fully painted. I have been production lining them but I get bored easily and so the first colour makes it onto all 22 models, the second colour may also make it onto all 22. The third colour will probably make it to about 15 while the fourth will only reach the 10th model. From here the first 5 or 6 will go on to be fully finished before I go back to continue where I left off. Not the most effective way to paint but it seems to be how it happens for me.

So after a bit of this process I have ended up with the first batch of complete models seen here.

ImageImage

The photos don't show most of the shading etc very well but I am super happy with how these have turned out, makes the time spent on them seem worth it. But now I've noticed a few mistakes that I'm going to have to go touch up like the red smudge on the bottom of the axe handle in the middle photo :?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice to see some retro models in there too :)
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Those are looking really awesome! The models are very cool and I also have a red armor theme in my army, so I definitely love the color choices.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Having the older models always seems to draw a bit of attention, on top of that they're usually cheaper than anything you can buy in the shops so it's a win win situation for me there :)

Thanks Coop. It started out with just red in the cloth. I'm not sure when it made its way on to the armour instead of silver colours for metal but I'm reasonably happy with it all.

I've been painting since about 4pm today (just before midnight when I finished for the day) and the unit is all finished except a some highlights and the bases of 10 of them :D

Here's what I've been looking at for the past few weeks
3 colour minimum? I do it properly and use 12.
I'm sure there was another colour or 2 that were late for picture day too, by far the most paints I've used on my models before.

Pictures of the finished product will be up once highlights have been completed.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice to see a proper looking paint table :)
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I was looking at it last night and want to get a few left over bits of 9mm MDF and make a bit of a shelf at the back just so I can use the space to put paints that I'm not using/hold brushes etc.

Something a bit like...
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

And just in time for a game this afternoon these guys are ready to be flame templated back into the storage case :cry:

Hmm photo's a bit on the large side but it shows them off a bit better that way.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Ah classic models. Thanks for the update.
How did the game go?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

It could have gone better... could have gone worse too though so that's something right? haha. The Executioners took a flame template as I predicted, hard to avoid when the WoC army has 3 of them flying around the board. Ended up as a loss by about 600 points.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I've been Warlocking. First one came up good enough so a few more will probably follow in the same paintsteps as this one.

ImageImage

Yea I know, black horses have black hooves and white have white but a bit of contrast was needed here. Only thing I'm not 100% on is the colour of the reigns. Tried leather coloured but they looked cartoony so I stuck with black instead, just a shame that the horse is black too.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice work, I think the contrast is a nice touch.
As for the reigns, have you considered maybe a red?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I think you're right about a red. That should tie it in nicely with the colour scheme.

After all that painting time spent on those Executioners they got the cut from my list this morning... I just don't think they will perform well enough in a tournament setting where a unit of 40 Skaven Slaves or a similar chaff unit can tie them up for the whole game, having just one attack each and no re-roll to hit makes it too easy to get bogged down. That and having 2 hordes (I like to run Witch Elves too) doesn't give the manoeuvrability I would like in a list. Bit of a shame after putting that much effort in but they will see the tournament scene one day.

Got big painting plans for my list though so that means updates here eventually.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

And it looks like the eventually is here already so that was reasonably quick.

For my list that I will be taking to an upcoming tournament I have painted up my hydra that I pictured here a little while ago. Just gone with my standard bone and red painting that will match my Coldone Knights.

ImageImage

The flash is the second picture makes the paint look really thick but in person I am quite happy with it

And an old photo of the Coldones colour scheme for anyone interested. It is not the most natural colour you would expect to see in the wild but I plan to do up a terrain board that includes a few trees, bone coloured bark and red leaves will give a reason for the development of such colours on the animals living amongst them.

And what's that? Another hyrda? Yup, I'll be running a tri-dra list this tournament :twisted:
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Tri hydra, nice :)

Some nice classic models there. Thanks for the update.