2017 NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sabious
Executioner

Re: 2017 NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Post by Sabious »

I don't have a before pic, mostly due to me painting and assembling along the line, with the posibilities of conversions appearing. At the moment I do not have a camera to show you the finished model, but I have this WIP of me building the base for my chariot at least.

Finished chariot model will follow soon as I borrow a camera :)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/S ... telwkb.png
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Im looking at a block of 25 Dryads. Im planning on batch painting these and relying heavily on washes and drybrushing. Sorry, they don't get to enjoy my typical Dark Elf standard :twisted:

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I still have to do the final layers of my Januari model! Adding that februari is a short month, I might have to be reasonable in my goals and expectations for next month :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Done
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Daeron wrote:Image
Done

:shock: :shock: :shock:
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice model - epic look!
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

How are you doing with february challenge?
slowly slowly finished the second 15 legionnaires, then 5 dark raiders.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I started by finishing 10 horses, which still needed the final highlights. I'll upload a pic soon, now that they are done.

I planned my rider construction ;)
They will be formed as 2 units of 4 RXBs and 1 musician, since that is my most used configuration. The next batch of 10 will be with spears, a champ and a banner, if I ever get around doing them.
The construction wil take some time, because of the magnets and all. I'm tempted to glue the shields on them, but then in T9A that would mean losing fast cav or something?
That would make them incompatible.. Magnetising the shields seems like overkill though.

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Daeron wrote:I started by finishing 10 horses, which still needed the final highlights. I'll upload a pic soon, now that they are done.

I planned my rider construction ;)
They will be formed as 2 units of 4 RXBs and 1 musician, since that is my most used configuration. The next batch of 10 will be with spears, a champ and a banner, if I ever get around doing them.
The construction wil take some time, because of the magnets and all. I'm tempted to glue the shields on them, but then in T9A that would mean losing fast cav or something?
That would make them incompatible.. Magnetising the shields seems like overkill though.

Great looking forward to them! Good idea about building them WYSIWYG, mine all have RXB so should consider making some just spears. No worries about the shields, they remain fast cavalry with them in 9th age. Are you considering some T9A battles?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Lord Drakon wrote:Are you considering some T9A battles?

Not really, but I don't want to exclude the option either ;)

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Progress.. the horses are done. The gold might look like it stands out, but once you put the model on it, the gold covers such a small visible surface it becomes quite subtle.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look great Daeron - quick job!

Your movement tray looks like it's the wrong way around
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I was thinking of having them run backwards. They are elite horses, after all. They can do all kinds of things.

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Horses look great, love the magnet option for either warlocks or dark riders
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

So here is my target for this month - about 20 or so Skinks (couple of heroes in there) for my sons 1500pt lizardmen army.

How is everyone else going?
Attachments
Skinks.JPG
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I built and primed my riders. Now to paint them!
I was thinking:
  • Silver chainmail
  • Blue shoulderpads (default colourscheme)
  • Black-grey cloak
  • Blue-black feathers
I'm a little worried there will be a lack of variety and contrast with all these shades of ... black.
But then they are DARK riders. I don't think they are supposed to be pink (fluff-wise anyway).
The feathers would probably have to follow the raven theme and the blue tones might suit the rest of the armour.

The cloak is the part where I'm worried. A black/grey cloak on a black/grey horse seems a tad too boring, but what else can I do? Brown?

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

You could try white highlights at the edges of cloak + feathers to keep the dark look but provide just enough contrast and detail to the dark cloak. Your standard blue + silver adds the other colour.

I am also slowly progressing with my Dark Riders.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Check out the dark riders in my Corsair army - I painted all the horses different shades of dark brown then washed them in dark tone two or three times, they still look very dark but just out side that mono colour palette.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's a good idea but considering that my horses are the only part that's finished so far, I'd rather solve the conflict with the cloak ;)
I'll stare at the mini for a long time. That usually helps.

- The stiff breeze
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

I have been intimidated by painting my Dark Riders (I have old metal models) because I don't know how to make the black horse look realistic. I like the idea of a black horse/black rider with a few highlights (probably red or The Fang blue to fit my army color), but having matte-blacked the whole model, it looks very 2 dimensional. Can anyone give me some tips on how to best paint black horses?
Thanks!
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Guess what! I managed to borrow a camera! (muuuch delayed)

Here's my January piece. I will upload more pics later to my army thread and blog.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

How is progress going for this month all?

I have almost finished mine but don't think I will get them finished in the next day :-(
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Im on a holiday and wont be able to continue. I only have my phone to check on hobby updates ;)
I got close to finishing my DR but my late cloak change disrupted my progress. I will try to finish them this week.

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I will complete a second unit of 15 spears tomorrow, just did a freedhand lion banner and think its my best so far :D
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

February Core! Gobbos!

Nothing fancy about this paint theme. I wanted to finally just paint something for the gaming table and not get stuck for weeks with a few models.

Midway I changed from painting Night Goblins to Forest Goblins. Don't know why, but they finished within the month limit and the rest did not :)