black dragons and blue/grey skin ....help!!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Mote26
Slave on the Altar

black dragons and blue/grey skin ....help!!

Post by Mote26 »

hi everyone, this is my first post, i registered last year but havnt had much time for modelling BUT xmas has come along with lots of druchii delights for me to ruin with my awful painting skills!
some very inspiring stuff on these pages. just wondering was there ever an official gw guide to painting the black dragon or does anyone have any tips how to do it? never painted a dragon before so i dont want to totally ruin it...
also on the back of the box, the supreme sorceress is painted with an amazing kindov blue/grey skintone....any tips how id achieve this effect?
iv only started getting back warhammer fantasy miniature collecting after a gap of around 20 years. i love druchii/high elves/wood elves/ bretonnians/fimir and beastmen. so far none of the aos minis really appeal to me apart from alarielle........anyway, im very very rusty at painting. scared to ruin my lovely new models! funnily enough, the thing im finding most difficult is painting the faces of the dreadspears/darkshards inside the helmets. my eyes arnt as good as they used to be....
so to halt my ramblings, any help with painting the black dragon and blue/grey skin or link to any old white dwarf articles on it would really help me out!
thanks!
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: black dragons and blue/grey skin ....help!!

Post by Vulcan »

Cool greys are your friend here - greys that tend toward blue instead of yelllow. I don't know what they're called now, but it used to be Space Wolves Grey and Shadow Grey. P3's Coal Black (it's really a blue so dark it appears black unless next to a true black) is a good basecolor as well.
Mote26
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mote26 »

thansk, ill check those out, that p3 sounds perfect base for the dragon...regarding that blue/grey flesh tone on the elves themselves, what would be best base colour? black/grey or white?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Going for the Drow look, are you? :)

For drow skin tones, it might be worth experimenting with a white or pale skin base and then just washing it with Nuln Oil (or whatever it's called now). Or use warm greys. At any rate, experiment with models you don't care about (or don't mind stripping paint off of repeatedly) and see what looks good.

(I have a pile of green armymen I use for experimentation. Doesn't help much with armor schemes, but for clothes and skin tones they're priceless.... and very cheap.)

One thing to bear in mind with dark-skinned minis. You'll want to make the armor (or at the very least, the cloth) fairly bright to provide a contrast between the skin and everything else. If you do a standard DE dark purple, the dark skin tends to blend in and be lost at any distance.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I'll see what I have, but Privateer press has some good paints.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I have found some colors you might try from privateer press. Their metalic bronze aside, they have great paints.

Here's their main website
http://store.privateerpress.com/paint-h ... ols/paints

And some paints that look interesting

Exile Blue

Arcane Blue

I have had fun with this one, Trollblood base
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra