First Ever Model

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
kvothe12
Slave on the Altar

First Ever Model

Post by kvothe12 »

I decided to get into Warhammer last year but I never put together any of the Druchii models I bought. I only have a few sets: Dark Riders, Fleet Master, Black Guard, and Cold Ones. I put together my Dark Riders yesterday and after watching some videos on painting I got to work. I decided it fits with the Druchii backstory (as I understand it) to make the theme of my army based on an Osprey. Since Druchii use Black Arks and ships to raid their enemies and enslave them an Osprey seemed like a fitting bird. My problem is mainly that the colors of an osprey are rather dark. Anyway, I don't think my first effort turned out too bad. Any tips/pointers/advice appreciated! Glad to join the Druchii ranks! Pics: Image Image
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: First Ever Model

Post by Lord Drakon »

Pretty bad ass dark rider you've got over there!
I like your time, cool and refreshing. Keep up the good work, I am looking forward for some more models
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Well done and welcome indeed! You should be proud of that first one. Definately ready for the table.

For advice I think the best for now is just paint more models. Like everything else, do it again and again. Naturally you will evolve as time goes by :)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Welcome to the forum! It's good to see some new interest in the dark side :twisted:

Good first attempt and I agree with Sabious - the best thing you can do is keep painting and be like a sponge. Get as much advice as you can and look at what other people are doing.

The best thing I can recommend is 1. Base colour 2. Wash (Darker than your base color) then 3. Highlight with a lighter colour. If you can master this it should get you to 90% where you want to be.

I look forward to seeing your progress - perhaps you can join us in our monthly challenge.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Superb cloak!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
kvothe12
Slave on the Altar

Post by kvothe12 »

Thanks for the help and support guys!

I think I must have seen Lord Drakon's conversion with the wood elf hoods when I was buying my army. I don't know how common of a conversion it is, but I just was look at your Har Ganeth XIII Legion (what an amazing army!) and I saw your riders. I've begun painting another rider and I am trying some new horse painting techniques and trying to make everything look more professional before I go back to touch up my first attempt. More to come when I finish my Standard Bearer! Thanks again.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

That's very good for a first ever model. You will improve with time and practice, but you're starting from a pretty good place. Although we really ought to expect someone called 'Kvothe' to have a high degree of natural talent with everything he turns his hand to... ;)

(Actually, that gives me an idea. Maybe we should all dig out the first model we ever painted and put up a pic of it alongside one of a more recent model. I think it might be good for new hobbyists to see just how big a difference a few years can make to one's painting abilities.)

Things you could use some work on are neatness of edges and shading. Painting some thinned down black ink (or GW's Nuln Oil Shade) into the recesses and textured areas and the lines between different colours (such as the edging on the horse's chest armour) would help with both of those.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Shadowspite wrote:That's very good for a first ever model. You will improve with time and practice, but you're starting from a pretty good place. Although we really ought to expect someone called 'Kvothe' to have a high degree of natural talent with everything he turns his hand to... ;)

(Actually, that gives me an idea. Maybe we should all dig out the first model we ever painted and put up a pic of it alongside one of a more recent model. I think it might be good for new hobbyists to see just how big a difference a few years can make to one's painting abilities.)

Things you could use some work on are neatness of edges and shading. Painting some thinned down black ink (or GW's Nuln Oil Shade) into the recesses and textured areas and the lines between different colours (such as the edging on the horse's chest armour) would help with both of those.

Good idea! At least I am sure I did not matched kvothe's first model haha. Also thanks for the compliment, I really to get some painting on myself couple of months.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Good Idea - the first model I painted was about 25 years ago - no idea where it is now. :D
kvothe12
Slave on the Altar

Post by kvothe12 »

Hey guys it's been a little while, but I'm still working on my army.

I just modded this fleet commander to dual wield some daggerish-looking swords. Also, in keeping with theme of my Riders, I gave him a hood from a wood elf set. He's going to be my assassin for my 9th age army.

http://i.imgur.com/e3qlTYZ.jpg