Need help finding a small bolt thrower/conversion

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Rowena
Highborn

Need help finding a small bolt thrower/conversion

Post by Rowena »

I have recently managed to get my hands on a Dark Eldar Raider and have been trying to convert it into a flying corsair ship. I got rid of the gun at the front, but I would probably like to install a bolt thrower or something in its stead (especially as I would like to use it as a Seacutter/Skysloop? when running the army as High elves).

Now, I'm sure I saw a great conversion somewhere on this forum (mounted on a cork base and featuring a harpoon-like thingy, if I'm not mistaken) and I could have sworn it used Scourgerunner bits, but... when I looked at the Scourgerunner kit there was only a slightly bigger handheld crossbow and most of the pictures here seem to be gone. So I would like to turn to the collective intelligence of whoever still frequents this forum: does this conversion ring any bells for you? Or do you know how to get a bolt thrower-like thing that would be small enough to mount on the ship and prefarably mostly ertical, not to break the sleek shape?
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: Need help finding a small bolt thrower/conversion

Post by Red... »

How about the old 4th edition reaper bolt thrower? It was much smaller, but still has a dark elf feel to it.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Hi Rowena. I think it's mine conversion you are referring to. Below few quick taken pics. The scourgerrunner crossbow is indeed quite small. So I've widened arms of the crossbow by cutting in the middle the highly curved one's the original model had and added two halves of wood elven long bow (middle pic). The large magazine on the crossbow is made of four, glued together, magazines for repeater handbows from Corsairs models, so it gives an impression that it's full of large bolts (right pic). I hope it helps a bit. Unfortunately this model has nothing to mount this big crossbow on your ship - mine just leans it against the rock to look badass.

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Thanks a lot to both of you. :-)

Errdrigar, that might really be the one. Thanks for the detailed instructions and the photos, they are really helpful. And the wood elf bow is a great idea, it looks so seamless I would never have guess. I'm not sure if the same thing would work on the ship, but your conversion looks really badass!

Red, thanks for the idea, I will definitely look into that model. :-)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.