Take a look here - painting my cold ones!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Ryuking22
Trainee Warrior

Take a look here - painting my cold ones!

Post by Ryuking22 »

I just spent a hulluva lot of time painting a cold one (like an hour and a half) and I think i made the color scheme a bit .... not good.... :shock:

I painted the skin in shadow gray then inked majorly with black ink. I then painted the scales in shadow gray. If ANYONE can mentally picture this I need your advice - should i stick with this theme?

Overall, it looks black with gray scales from a distance (looks like someone painted chaos black and highlighted a lot). I just think it looks a bit bleak from a distance.

Maybe I'm just paranoid about painted such an important unit :(

My stomache hurts, I think i may go to bed after reading a couple more threads.
"My lord, they tricked us, there were two of them!"
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

does it look anything like this:

http://druchii.net/gallery/albums/Units ... nights.jpg

because if it does, I'd say keep it....

even if it doesnt, you might want to try this scheme, it looks very good, IMHO.

-rage

PS it's kinda hard to help without seeing any pictures or even knowing what your army colours are....what are they, btw?
Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

umm, out of interest, how was that executioner converted to ride a cold one, cos i mite just do the same....
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

looks to me like it was just cut in half and stuck on the legs of a CO rider...but I'm not sure, I guess you'll just have to ask the maker of the mini...

-rage
Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Ryuking22
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryuking22 »

Yeah, ive painted two, and with a bit of fixing up (but with the same scheme) it looks great!
"My lord, they tricked us, there were two of them!"
Furion
High Sorcerer

Re: Take a look here - painting my cold ones!

Post by Furion »

RyuKing22 wrote:I painted the skin in shadow gray then inked majorly with black ink. I then painted the scales in shadow gray. If ANYONE can mentally picture this I need your advice - should i stick with this theme?

Overall, it looks black with gray scales from a distance (looks like someone painted chaos black and highlighted a lot). I just think it looks a bit bleak from a distance.

Not a real lizard like colour scheme. I'd try to do a green or posisbly a blue colour scheme. Grey and black not only dull the unit, but it doesn't exactly appear realistic to some people. I'd suggest a repaint.
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Kymerus

Post by Kymerus »

Pierre wrote: Not a real lizard like colour scheme...it doesn't exactly appear realistic to some people. I'd suggest a repaint.

hmmm...my Spite is scaly green with flourescent orange scales...

I'd say, whatever works for you...realistic or not.

Just my 2 cents.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well I used the firey orange theme in the codex on one of my chariot's and I't looks cool, kind of stand's out but still look's nice. the other is grayish and it just blends in the rest of the dark army.
Also known as Kanadian
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

Pierre wrote:... but it doesn't exactly appear realistic to some people.

well, as realistic as a unit of hideous, slavering stupidity-suffering monsters left over from the jurassic can be.... 8) 8)

-rage
Furion
High Sorcerer

Post by Furion »

Ragerunner wrote:
Pierre wrote:... but it doesn't exactly appear realistic to some people.

well, as realistic as a unit of hideous, slavering stupidity-suffering monsters left over from the jurassic can be.... 8) 8)

Well, they are still lizards. I did my mounted sorceress yellow and black, came out well. But I can't imagine a whole unit like that... my eyes would hurt. :shock:
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Lord dalamar do'urden
Morathi's Champion

Post by Lord dalamar do'urden »

Tiz my conversion model pictured,
I used exicutioner top half and malakiths bottom half.
Then the parts left were used in a chariot.
The cold ones were painted black under coat then highlighted up by adding codex grey then light grey think it was space wolves grey? then white then inked down with black. some were inked down with dark green black mix to look different.
phil
Shadowblade503
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowblade503 »

i painted two put some fungus on one also i made it partly a blue color on its scales and i a large arrow through it to make it look like in war. Also i used chaos black on the serperations of the scales. Another thing i diid was ink wash the middle of it making it look like metal armor. It took me about 2 1/2 hours.Myy second was kind off crapy compared to the fiirsst oone.
Stupidity should be punished, so kill a high elf today!!!
Shadowblade503
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowblade503 »

SORRY about the spelling on my message i was in a hurry so i just used
the typing technique when you use only ten fingers and you look at the keyboard OOPS :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Stupidity should be punished, so kill a high elf today!!!
Manalord
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Manalord »

I haven't painted cold ones yet but i think i'll make them like that:

Black primer then dark angels green then highlight of goblin green and white on the scales edges
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

well my cold one knight's are in x-mas colors. they have scaly green bodie's towned down by chaos black, and blood red scales. I figured they are the only model's which can and should add color to your army.
Also known as Kanadian
Burner
Warrior

Post by Burner »

Lol when i started my cold ones i did this:

black undercoat
midnight blue for skin
grey on the scales
then white on main stripe of scales down the middle of the body

it came out so crap i couldn't believe it! The black undercoat had made the midnight blue come out looking purple and the overall effect of the purple didn't help at all!!!! i got a headache just looking at it! believe me dont try it, i gave up on them and went back to my warriors but soon i'm gonna try a whiteundercoat with the midnight blue! i'll tell u if it comes out good!

Burner
He felt intense pleasure as his dagger sank silently into his victims neck and the hot blood flooded out over his hands.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

you have to wach out with midnight blue because it changes the originall color of every thing that it touches. I would scrap the idea, unless you use lighting bolt blue (enchanted blur works nicle too) as a undercote and then use a watered down midnight blue, but in this case the scales have to be the same color or black, because the blue will come out and ruin it all.

Midnight blue is just crappy in quallity. I dont use it for If I can avoid it. unless I use a lot of blue on a modle and scally green, other colors just get ruined, especially white.
Also known as Kanadian
Burner
Warrior

Post by Burner »

Yeah i now know what you mean, i'll try that idea of yours next time thought to be honest I might just think up a whole new colour scheme as I'm not too big on blue as it is!

Burner
He felt intense pleasure as his dagger sank silently into his victims neck and the hot blood flooded out over his hands.