Shade without a foot

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Taleron

Shade without a foot

Post by Taleron »

I just bought a shade blister and opened it up. I proceded to removing the flash when I realized one of the shades' legs ended in a twisted stump instead of a foot. I think I'm gonna phone gw cause the place I bought it at is an hour and a half away and I won't be there again for a while. I'm just wondering what I should do.
Freen
Corsair

Post by Freen »

Games Workshop is very good at replacing miscasts or incorrect parts. Just call up the mail order or customer service guys and let them know what's up and they'll send you a new one.
You know we've got to find a way, to bring some lovin' here today-ee-ay.
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

well, normally I would just go and ask for a replacement, but with the nearest store 90 minutes away....well, I guess it depends on how finiky you are with your minis. I mean, you could just hide the twisted foot with a rock or some flock, or you could just make up some sort of disney background story ("As a child, Malthior was always...different. He never fit in much with the other children, and was often mocked for his twisted foot. Now though, 200 years later, Malthior can wreak his revenge on his childhood foes with his bad-ass ninja shade skillz!" or something to that effect)

Ok, I'm sorry bout that little story, but cmon, its 2am here (see what a dedicated mod I is?!) and I'm not writing too straight.....

Digressions aside, what it comes down to is are you willing to drive an hour and a half to replace ONE mini out of a 50+ army. If you are, go for it, if you aint, don't worry about it. (although it IS annoying when your hard earned cash is spent on a gimped mini....I've suffered myself :( )

-rage
Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Hellebron
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hellebron »

Next time, CAREFULLY examine the minis you buy. Many years ago, I also bought some miscasts because I did not pay attention. Since then, I ALWAYS examine EVERY blister before I buy it!

'Bron
There is no Beast without Cruelty
Ragerunner
Wavemaster

Post by Ragerunner »

hmm. On the subject of miscasts, I'll give you guys a little tip. When I was living in England, I had the luck to visit the central GW store (a CRAZY place...never seen so many space marines in my life...) I bought a complete forest dragon for about 6.50UK pounds (which is about $18CAN) because the individual bits were miscast. There were only a few small deformities on the bits, and all were easily fixed with some simple conversion (and a bit of modelling putty). So, if you ever have the chance to go to where GW casts it's minis (the US has one, but I forget where) check out the miscast bins...it's worth the trip!

-rage
Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Ryuking22
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryuking22 »

IF I were you I would probably just slice off the stump and make a pittly blood trail behind the shade - like his foot was cut off in battle. Or if your very dedicated you could replace the foot.

The good thing is - shades look pissed and aggressive, a missing foot might be just their thing to get the fight going :)
"My lord, they tricked us, there were two of them!"
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

You could also cut the leg off just under or above the knee & glue a stick there...

A Dark Elf with a wooden leg named Smith...
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

or use the fig as it is, just modell up soem grass, stones or whatever you use on the base so it wont show. :) yeah i am lazy
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

In the latter case, I would suggest lichen (is that an english word? I think it is...) to cover up the foot that isn't there. That way your fig is standing behind a little bush.

Just grass or stones will still look a bit awkward I think...
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Varanos
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Varanos »

I had a similar problem with my Morathi blister.(she had a stump for a right arm)I bought it from a gw store while on vacation and couldnt easliy bring it back and i lost the receipt.I emailed GW and they were happy to replace it.
Black lotus
Executioner

Post by Black lotus »

Ragerunner wrote:....I mean, you could just hide the twisted foot with a rock or some flock, or you could just make up some sort of disney background story ("As a child, Malthior was always...different. He never fit in much with the other children, and was often mocked for his twisted foot. Now though, 200 years later, Malthior can wreak his revenge on his childhood foes with his bad-ass ninja shade skillz!")

ROFLMAO!! :lol: :D :lol:

Nothing to add about bad models. As the others said, GW will replace it if you call them. But somehow Ragerunner's idea seems like the way to go.
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Well at least in Canada the GW store is very friendly and helpful for service. They sent me the incorrect package once and I got the correct one for free and I got to keep the incorrect one. As for miscasts I am sure that if you mentioned it to them they would probably send you a new blister as they would want to keep there customers happy. If they don't keep the reciept(spelling?) and show them that they sold a deformed model. They will probably refund it. If you can't wait then perhaps make it look like he is stepping in water. Like put a little putty with resin and cut his twisted stump off and put it in there.
There once was a High Elf named Bill
He went out and fought with all his will
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
And that was the end of poor Bill.
----
Try out the Warlord at http://www.druchii.net/tbf/Warlord_v1.00.zip
Lord ark'arn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord ark'arn »

yeah, GW is very good wi customer services, i got an extra shadowblade in a mail order and i wanted a sorceress on foot, so they sent me the sorc, and i sold the old shadowblade to a mate, i think hes gonna do a conversion wi it, aint sure, havent seen him latly, he paid full price for it too! !lol!
The Council of Lakulei is coming.
We will call out to you and when we do, we shall make the Druchii race thrive once again.
The Council of Lakulei will rule over Naggaroth.
I will be there: Lord Ark’arn, High General commanding the Spirit of Lakulei
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

You don't need to drag yourself back to the store, just call GW mail order and they will send you one. It helps to have the original box/blister it came in so they can track where the quality control chain broke down.
Wurg
Corsair
Location: To find me. Look up in the sky. See that constelation that's a long way off, well I don't live there

Post by Wurg »

Say that the shade's foot was bitten off by a Chaos Dragon but the shade eventually came out on top. Make a story up about it!
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I see the purple people,
(nonot dead people) purplepeople!
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

GW will replace it, call them up, send it off and you will ahve a replacement in no time.
Wurg
Corsair
Location: To find me. Look up in the sky. See that constelation that's a long way off, well I don't live there

Post by Wurg »

loads of people have said that. say something interesting!
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

wurg wrote:Say that the shade's foot was bitten off by a Chaos Dragon but the shade eventually came out on top. Make a story up about it!

!lol!
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Fecklessdreamer... *sigh*
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fecklessdreamer... *sigh* »

loads of people have said that. say something interesting

WHOO! Yeh! Go wurg! Fight for originality!
Never play strip poker with daemonettes- its a lose lose situation for you. Better watch where they put those clippers too.. that could end in a nasty situation.
Wurg
Corsair

Post by Wurg »

*bows* Thankyou very much *bows again*
*is persued off stage by booing crowd throwing rotten vegetables*
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

@ Wurg - The shades foot is no longer due to the glalant effort he made during a look out sir whilst a trainee warrior. As a result of his heroics he was promoted to a shade. He now goes by the name Hopalongeth.

OR

As a trainee warrior Hopalongeth as he is now known was mouthing off about a particular noble. Without knowing it the high ranking noble and his unit was behind him. In a fit of rage the noble's cold one awoke from his stupur and bit hopalongeth's foot clean off. THe moral of the story is trainee warriors hould be wary of what they say.

Just kidding champ. I should have added something more comical and I hope this is good enough. Let me know if it is not.
Swedenpack
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Swedenpack »

... who brought this one year old topic back to life?
Marriage is the only war where you sleep with the enemy.
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

Stellalune I believe ccording to the date. I did not look at the date... I would have put a stop to it earlier. I swear.
Harlequinn
Highborn

Post by Harlequinn »

Yeah. Reading along, minding my own business... What? A new post on this? No! Thirteen of them, as a matter of fact! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So anyhow, I bought a blister of Exe Command while on vacation in Dallas a year ago or so. Took it back to the place I was staying, opened it up...missing the Champion's sword. Huh...go back to GW store and tell the guy my story (without the blister), he tells me to grab another one. I do, look through the blister at the contents...

"Hey mister. This one's missing the sword, too."

"Huh... Grab another one."

Grabbed a third blister...Success! I now have a blister with all the bitz.

"You want me to bring that other blister back to you?"

"Nah. Keep it. As a matter of fact, keep this one we opened as well."

So I end up with three blisters of Exe command, only one champion, all for around ten dollars.

So guess what my two converted BSB's are made from... ;)
- Mr. Gideon....You're not paying attention.
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Sweet :P
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."