Reapers: 1 Bolt Or 6?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Decheran
Evil Henchman

Reapers: 1 Bolt Or 6?

Post by Decheran »

Which do you think is more efficient at killing: infantry? cavalry?
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

I tend to use the 6 option for both, mainly because I hate missing with the 1 bolt option!
If you do the maths, I suspect the 1 bolt is better agianst Heavy Cav in 2/3 ranks, but as i say I tend to use the 6 option instead.
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I too like to use the 6 option, except when fireing at heavy armoured troops like dwarves, when they have a few ranks of tin cans, but in the rest of the cases the 6 shot is much better.
once I took out an entire regiment of that inferior HE cavlary, in one salve.
Also known as Kanadian
Kymerus

Post by Kymerus »

'Cept for shooting at monsters, or maybe a unit of heavily armoured dwarves (with full ranks, of course), I would *always* use the 6 shots.
Experience with Salamanders has led me to dread any time I have to roll one die at a time. :x
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I should have pasted this sonner.

RBT are usfull whe you have a min of 2, thats when they start to do dammege, when you have 4 shooting at one target thats painfull. some say that's cheese, but if a dwarf palyer takes 4-5 war machines and all shooting units ifs ok. or a empire player with warmachines and thoes steamtanks. If they do it, so should you. In small battles the hydra is expensive, so is the black guard, have you ever sen anyone use a cauldren of blood in a 2000 point game? and the RBT isn't taht expensive, but verry effective when used in bigger numbers. they give great support to your infantry, and acctually can take out war machines with their multi shot. you can cripple a steamtank with them if you need to, their good against armoured troops with their single bolt. and against horde armies with the multi shot and the range there is nothing better. some people say 100 pts. but com on 6 str. 4 hits with -2 to armour. and the range, try buing RXB in order to get the same effect you need about 10 to match the fire power. and thats around 130 pts. Think about it. 4 RBT thats 24 str. 4 shots with -2 save and 48" rande, or the rank percing shots, they take down heavy armored troops nicley. One thing I found is if shoothig at small units of cav, use the multi shot it's more effective.
Also known as Kanadian
Marauder
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Marauder »

Reapers :D

I posted earlier about this:

http://druchii.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=473

Really, the jist of it is there are only three times when you would fire single over multi shot.

1) High armour save (2+ or better) with 3 or more ranks
2) 2 or more ranks of creatures with multiple wounds
3) Against something with multiple wounds if its toughness-armour save is 2 or better (just works out that way... but easy to remember)
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I always use multiple shot. Only against monsters with a good armour save would I use sinlge bolt

Bye
Lord Thalack
Druchii Master

Post by Druchii Master »

The single shot is really good against knights in lance formation, beacsue it will go through whoever is at the front (they are the only person in that rank) so you have a decent chance of killing a character (as long as the other person is good at failing LOS rolls. :)
Veyder
Warrior

Post by Veyder »

Single shot is really devastating when you target a unit, which has RBT in its flank area. There are new rules for shooting from the flank in the Annual and you can kill out whole row (I've made this with 10 COKs on my last tournament, *fortunately* he passed his 'Look Out, Sir!' roll and I was able to kill additional "normal" knight without this censored Ward save :twisted: )
And our Dark Riders are awesome at taking out enemy cavalry for flank shots.
veyDer

"Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust"
"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Marauder
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Marauder »

Okay, not that this has much to do with Dark Elves, but I had a game with my dwarfs against VC. I killed two of his characters with my one cannon, because he failed his LOS roll twice. That was a short game. :twisted:

Sorry, but I just had to share that, because it was so damn funny (for me).
Cy'rhane of Har Ganeth

Post by Cy'rhane of Har Ganeth »

I tend to agree with the multi salvo shots myself , you've practically got a mini hellblaster if you think about although it's no where near as good . I always bring 2 RBT atleast and I'd bring 3 if I knew it was going to be a tough fight (damn those tomb kings.... :x ) . Even against Chariots a salvo from 2 or 3 RBT will see that the silly cart is skewered well and proper . I only ever reserve single shots against large targets where the +1 mod to hit will keep your chances of hitting it at a high level . Single shots also work out well against heavy cav but with the people I play and the tournies I've been at they normally just have one rank , very rarely do I see two and three ranks simply doesn't exist . So as usual revert to multi shafts of sharp spitful goodness .

-Cy'rhane of Har Ganeth
Swedenpack
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Swedenpack »

Single shost are good at single charakters.
yesterday I playd against chaos, it was an interesting game... playing againts chaos... I used a little bit of a dworf tactic sins I new I be a dead elf in CC. anyway after killing his knights..his charakter ware left alone.. in the battlefeald... his spawn and Marouders ware traped in a forrest and coud not aid him. Thats when I amed the RBT against the General

Exalted Chaos Champion
lvl 2 Theentch mage, 1+ SV, 4+ WSv, chaos stead

one bolt was all that I neded to kill this monster. I woud have no chans against him in CC.. Long live the RTB!!!
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

Single shot is good for monsters, that is the only time I use it. Mainly because I hate rolling one dice, it can go horribly wrong.

One game I was playing against an orc player with a Black Orc on Wyvren, and a giant. I killed both by turn two, and then massacred him. He complained about how my army was cheesy, haha, he took two monsters! He asked for it.
Hate is my weapon.
Jp
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jp »

then he is a bad loser, and he asked for it if he had 2 monsters in his army. Then RBT are the best :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Kill their warriors, kill their woman, and their children, their elderly, and their sick, kill their hounds cattle and their livestock.
But above all KILL WITH PLEASURE
Seraph
Hand of the Dark

Post by Seraph »

I was playing as O&G once, against vamp counts. And my friend had just bought the model for Zak the Everliving, so I was pretty sure he would take him. So I took as many gobbo bolt throwers as I could, got lucky and rolled the first turn, and pummeled him with single shots. Luckily he got hit twice, failed both ward saves, and his army turned to dust.
bwhahaha :twisted:
The Aspect of Shadow
|seraphon|
Beastmaster

Post by |seraphon| »

I never use the 1 bolt. When u hit, just 1 wound. I prefer rolling 6 dices and try to roll a 5+ than using 1 dice and try to roll a 3+.
I have more change to do 2 wounds than doing 1 wound.
Voodoo7645
Slave on the Altar

ummmmm...

Post by Voodoo7645 »

Forgive me if I'm wrong...still in dwarf land, but don't single shot bolthrowers do d3 wounds?
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

yes, when you use single bolt it will do D3 wounds

Bye
Lord Thalack
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I also use the multiple shot option it is much more effective AND it works as a psychological attack directly on your opponent. Especially when you are using more than one.

8 in a city guard list - EVIL :twisted:
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

the first game i took one my freind (who plays HE) nearly had a heart attack. he totally abandoned his plan and sent all of his units for cover. by turn 4 or 5 i had killed 23 of his men including a 8 strong unit of silver helms with a 2+ save, and he had killed 4 of mine, just the phsychological portion is good
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well last week I went to a turnament, nad my bolt thrower's took out so much stuff that's not even funny, the bigest prize was a chaos exalted champion, along with some of his companions.
Also known as Kanadian
Ewok
Beastmaster

Post by Ewok »

my RBT's use single bolts just on 2 occasions:
1: vs large(+1 to hit) tough(T 5+) multi-wound targets (dragons anyone?)
2: vs superheavy cavalry (1+ save), and only if a flank shot is possible - my best shot is 4 chaos knights in one pass...
Dagger in the dark is worth thousand swords at dawn
Dantrag
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dantrag »

Hmmm how to put this....6, 6, 6 or you could use 6 or even 6 shots. did i stress that enough?.....
Life is Pain, Pain is Good - Life is Good

Dantrag Banrae
Phate
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Phate »

i use 6 all the time except against chaos knights... i have 2 reapers in 1500 pts, they usually can take down at least 4 knights before they reach my lines, which is DEFINITELY useful. against everything else 6 is ideal, even against foot knights.... they only get a 5+ save, like chaos warriors and iron breakers. remember they only get 2+ save in close combat!
-w3rd.
Annex K

Post by Annex K »

1 or 6?

Take a look at the oppositions face when you count out 6 dice and say "And now for the Reaper" during the shooting phase.

Have you seen that face?

Answer: 6 (I agree with 1 shot for the right targetas mentioned above)