Executioners or Witch Elves??? You decide!!!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Which unit would you take?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:22 pm

Executioners
28%
Witch Elves
72%

Total votes: 25

Legionz
Warrior

Post by Legionz »

Witch Elves, because they look cooler :D
Dragnipur
Cold One Knight

Witches

Post by Dragnipur »

Because i happen to own 30 of them from 5th ed. If i had the money in my pocket and had to choose again? I do not know
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Jeremy
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jeremy »

Executioners.. they're just so much better looking, and just so much better full stop.
The only constant in the universe is change, the wise adapt
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Witch Elves, because Executioners are not so good. Both units look cool, tho! :)

Bye
Thanee
Yeurl
Noble

Post by Yeurl »

WE are much better for their points cost. Nuff said. :)

execs have their uses, but save high armour save enemies, they won't pay for themselves very well. Besides, if you work out the 1 attack vs 3 poisoned attacks from WE against high armour save enemies, you'll see there's almost no difference. And, Execs must have been correctly deployed, which is a major problem with DE, because you have the Dark Riders to deploy them last, and rxbs also give more for their points if you delay their deployment, so you have low armour enemies ahead or warmachines to shoot at in the 1st turn. :)

It's a pity, because I had started to buy the Executioner unit, but I stopped because COCs work much better...And are cheaper too.
Watch your steps, my friend, for your way up is almost as fast as your way down, at the whim of the Witch King
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

I'd say witch elves.

Though, there's a good post in the tactics forum on how to use executioners.
Zaknefein
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Zaknefein »

Witch elves would be my choice if I had to choose between the two. Though, executioners should not be ignored. Why choose the ladies? Because, versus most armies having the ignore psychology feature is valuable against panic. Thus, making them reliable against missile fire and units breaking around them. Also. poison attacks against lightly armored opponents creates many kills thanks to their multiple attacks. Beware of there frenzy though, a double edged sword that can be used against you. Being lead around the field is embarassing. Having zero armor is a issue too but, if you deploy them on a flank in initial cover and charge the center combat zone their unstoppable! Praise the brides of Khaine...
Hope is the denial of reality!
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

It all depends on the rest of your army and the weaknesses you have.

If I had to blindly pick one, it would be Executioners because they are beautiful models and fill a role that is harder for Druchii to handle (High armor save opponents)

Witch Elves do kill low armor save units beautifully. But the Druchii have so many other ways to do this that I find their role less useful in the overall scheme of things.

So if I must vote blindly, I say Executioners.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Witch elves, for reasons already stated. Although I do have execs too
Crimsondeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Crimsondeath »

This is so easy, it isn't even a fair comparison: Witch Elves!

They will chew through anything this side of Chosen Chaos Warriors. (Give the Hag Manbane and watch her cut through Ironbreakers :twisted: )
There's nothing to see here. Move along.
Hell_angel

Post by Hell_angel »

with Execs you gotta use the vs. Chaos as the killing blow does wonders. the point of staying alive is a nother question entirely. ;)
Ezeraal
Corsair

Post by Ezeraal »

I'd choose execs, i prefer to have full control over the reactions of my units. Also because the models are so cool, they are one of the reasons i decided to collect and play dark elves.
The darkness is here and you will fall...
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I'd go for executioners, cause they look cooler

Bye
Lord Thalack
Avocalguy
Executioner

Post by Avocalguy »

I would go with Witch Elves. More attacks, just have to move them quickly :roll:
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I voted for Witch Elves just because I don't own any execs... :( I don't know how execs fare on battlefield but more than once Witches failed me thanks to frenzy... (like charging freshly summoned 5 skellies and ending just in front of my knights...) But they also saved battle few times (charged 20 Saurus warriors and broke them on charge :D ). And executioners have second best regimental models in army IMO (first are black guard)
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

Personally, I'd choose neither. Why? Well....

Executioners simply aren't survibable enough to cause much of a dent in combat. With only 6 attacks in the front rank, any serious combat unit will cause a comparable number of casualties to you in return! If your looking for an armour busting unit, get Knights. Superior save and movement means that they will normally ride down most opposition.

Witch Elves are a liability, as against some armies (Dwarfs, Chaos, Brettonia) they will perform poorly due to high toughness and armour save. Against others (Empire, High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarfs again) shooting will rip them apart. Against the other armies they will perform admirably, but just don't have the reliability against all armies to work. Again I would reccomend Knights due to superior save and strength; the reliability is also comparable, if not better due to the lack of frenzy. If your hell bent on an anti personel unit, get Corsairs. They fill up a core slot, have a decent save and are basically Witch Elves with armour who have lost their frenzy. Plus they're cheaper....

Fallen Angel
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

fallen angel wrote:Witch Elves are a liability, as against some armies (Dwarfs, Chaos, Brettonia) they will perform poorly due to high toughness and armour save. Against others (Empire, High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarfs again) shooting will rip them apart. Against the other armies they will perform admirably, but just don't have the reliability against all armies to work.

I beg to differ. YMMV, but I usually play against dwarfs. nd I have to say, my firend HATES my Witch Elves because they frequently go through his troops (including his Ironbreakers) like a Cuisanart. Sure I have to protect them fromshooting to get them to his troops, but once I do, he's done for. His only unit I ever had trouble with getting to break was his Thunderers, believe it or not. They cut through his Ironbreakers like paper with alarming regularity.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Seraphon
Slave on the Altar

Post by Seraphon »

I'd have to say executioners because I usually use them against my pal's Blood Dragons. They'll be good against my friends up coming Chaos army too. Not to mention the minis are cool! ;)
Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and the world will consider you a high elf.
Newdisease
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Newdisease »

I'd say 'cutioners, because I need something to rip up heavily armed units, my Corsairs already have the "rip up light infantary like sheep" role.
Don't shoot the messanger they all say, but he'll be the one sitting idly while the whole world goes to hell!
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I prefer Witch Elves for a few reasons. More attacks is more fun, poison is cool, models are awesome, I don't have to glue the tops of the draichs on to the models. Takes me forever to do that and they always break off if I'm not very nice to them.
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

and a lot of wild half-maked women are always better than a lot of evil men dressed in metal
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Not even You!!

Hilsen Sortelveren
www.hardwareHQ.dk
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

hag w/ rune of khaine=5!! attacks (more than our highborn) and unit with a frontage of 5 with 17!! attcks, whered that lightly armored, low toughness unit go? hell, any unit will take some casualties from that
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Fearlessgod
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Fearlessgod »

Witch Elves. Point for point, a much better choice. Just my 2 cents.
Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken.