New mounts

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Unseen
Warrior

New mounts

Post by Unseen »

Okay okay, even though this wont happen, it is something i thought would be cool (and quite fluffy).
I am not a fan of the cold ones, i dont know why, maybe it has something to do with a large lumbering stupid noisy animal doesn't fit very well with a race of stealth quickness and reliabiltity.
so i thought it would be cool to think of some new mounts.
i was thinking a black pather (dark, silent, and agile).
or
I was thinking a white siberian tiger (stealthy fearsome)

i figure a cat type creature (i hate house cats, but they are they one of if not the best preditors out there). Maybe it can be a fantasy theme, but i still think a cat type creature is the most druchii mount thier could be.
what are your thoughts? any cool ideas?
Arhaine
Warrior

Post by Arhaine »

Greetings,

I love where you're going, but I don't think that cats of any sort are quite the answer (and I am a cat lover). The independent streak of all members of the extended feline family would make the process of breaking them in and keeping their natural instincts under control quite anathema to those aspects of their character which so define them.

Packs of hunting large cats would be highly approp though, with the Beastmasters having the ability to 'unleash' them at some point in the battle (making them frenzied &/or otherwise subject to random movement after the initial 'unleashed' charge).

The mount I'd most love to see us regain is the Cockatrice. I have the old model (a corker!), and the subtle tactics required for them make them ideal for Sorcerors imo! And leaving our enemies as eternal statues to the power and glory that is Khaela Mensha Khaine is just So Druchii!!!

Good Hunting!
"And isn't it neat -
Putting pain in a stranger?
Like a portrait in flesh
That trails on a leash."
(David Bowie: "Sweet Thing")
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Yep true, in our world it would be almost impossible to tame a cat so that you could ride it... that's if you could find one that was big enough to fit me on... and I'm 6'5, so good luck.

However how then was the manticore tamed? It is a mixture of a couple of creatures but it looks to me like it's prodominant features are in fact feline. Not to mention it's other features are of untamable creatures as well.

If a beastmaster is able to tame a Manticore would it not stand to reason that they could of course then tame other large cats?
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

we should (no, we shouldnt have it but its fun to think about) have a unit that is just a big cage on wheels filled with animals that is pushed by beastmaster aprentices that is pretty slow (m4) but is near impenitrable (ie, high armor save) and at one point in the game you can open the gate and all the animals run out and it would then move and attack like a swarm. It would be good for defensive armies (just wait for the enemy to come and then let 'em loose, you could have a special rule in which you can let them out if you are charged and the animals and the chargers meet in the middle and fight on initiative) they would also be good as missle screen and to have a swarm that you can position and "aim"
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Fallen angel
Cold One Knight

Post by Fallen angel »

I came up with the idea of Cold One Packs, you can see the (suggested) rules here:

http://druchii.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1039

Near the bottom of the page.

Fallen Angel
Play DnD in the Firgotten Realms setting? Have a look at my quick narrative..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=21330
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

Well not only could you ride a Saber Tooth, it could eat you :D That with a black coat would look rather evil. To increase it's protection it could have armour plates with small spikes wich hit with 2 S2/3 attacks on a charge. Now that could be deadly. :twisted: :twisted:
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Annex K

Giant Spiders?

Post by Annex K »

Love the idea of Black panthers/ Sabre tooth tigers ...What about Shades or WE mounted on giant spiders.

Would love to see Sorceress torso w/giant spider lower body or similar spun out evil combo.. I think the model would look cool and have your enemy a little concerned.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Re: Giant Spiders?

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Annex K wrote:Love the idea of Black panthers/ Sabre tooth tigers ...What about Shades or WE mounted on giant spiders.

Would love to see Sorceress torso w/giant spider lower body or similar spun out evil combo.. I think the model would look cool and have your enemy a little concerned.

been playing AD&D? they are called driders there. Drow (dark elf)/spider combo
Dantrag
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dantrag »

You know i've been playing AD&D - my Dark RIDERS (DRIDERS) are all converted hald dark elf hald giant spider. OK they arn't the scariest unit to face but my enemies never cease to stop and go "wow what are those" and proceed to try and eliminate the offending scary beasties. As for panthers and such well i dont think they work as mounts. How about other large beasts like (as mentioned earlier) the Cockatrice or even the Chimera?
Life is Pain, Pain is Good - Life is Good

Dantrag Banrae
Ryuking22
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryuking22 »

Holy cripes! These are some cool ideas.... I'm going to go think of something crafty...
"My lord, they tricked us, there were two of them!"
Chaplaindan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chaplaindan »

Elves mounted on Black Panthers?
You've been playing Warcraft 3 havn't you?

Damn Huntresses :)
What doesn't kill me only postpones the inevitable.
Unseen
Warrior

Post by Unseen »

actually, i simply thought of it. i have never palyed warcraft III.
i do think panthers would be cool though.
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

Kislev has cavalry mounted on bears so why not ?
If you run, you'll just die tired
Ryuking22
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryuking22 »

Bears? That's a cool concept, but does not fit for DE.

So ideas that I have been toying with were either huge vipers or panthers.
"My lord, they tricked us, there were two of them!"
Darktremere
Shade

Post by Darktremere »

I like the panther idea, skirmishing unit perhaps? Anyone know of any companies making big cat models, I don't think GW does.
Enslave those you do not crush.
Elvenknight

Post by Elvenknight »

Well a polar bear type thing would fit in nicely. Then there would be some sence in it being in such a cold region. Also when provoked they can be quite nasty.

Annex K

Medium Mounts/Cavalry

Post by Annex K »

I do remember an old AD&D computer game many years ago..thats where I remember them. Warcraft III, I hav'nt seen yet.

I think GW need something to go in between Cok and Dark Riders

-Dark Riders - fast light punch
-Medium Cavalry - (GW insert here!)
-CoK - slower (stupid at times!) heavy punch

Needs to have a cool mount though - Something from the dark woods or mountains of Naggaroth :?:
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

I've often wondered why they didn't incorporate the drow thing, perhaps have giant spiders for our knights to ride..

They would be fast (druchii way right?) and could climb over obstacles unimpeded, plus perhaps quick in combat with poison attacks instead of S4 attacks...

NO STUPIDITY.

I like the cold ones because they are used by the drow in the books by Salvatore, ie: Drizzt DoUrden. BUT THEY ARE NOT STUPID.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Elvenknight

Post by Elvenknight »

I don't think we need more cav but fix up the cold ones.