Do I need to buy the Hordes of Chaos book for CoS?

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Element6609
Black Guard

Do I need to buy the Hordes of Chaos book for CoS?

Post by Element6609 »

Do I need to buy the Hordes of Chaos book for CoS? Also where can I find stats for mounted Demounettes?
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

No, not if you only want the army list content. That's all I wanted out of the book and as GW has provided them as free downloads on their website then there's no need for me to buy the book.

Mounted Daemonette stats can be found for free in the SoC Daemonic Legion army list download.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Kraven norseslayer
Black Guard

Post by Kraven norseslayer »

Simple answer - yes.
If you want to use Daemons and Chaos troops such as marauders and Warriors.
You also need it for the description and casting values of Slaaneshi magic and the costs and description of Slaanesh only magic items.
Take it from me, if you intend to use the CoS you will need a HoC army book.
The stats for mounted daemonettes can be found in the Daemon legion army list (substitute Ld8 for Ld9) or the latest annual i think. Other than that they were published in WD 280.
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

No, you could just download Armybuilder ;)
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Kraven norseslayer
Black Guard

Post by Kraven norseslayer »

You're all a bunch of cheapskates.
Whats wrong, you not got jobs or something like that ;)
Cerulaetas
Highborn
Location: Behind you liek omg so whitty lolz I r unique lol!!11!1one wtf!

Post by Cerulaetas »

Nope, no job here kraven :-P
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Well seeing as GW have just hiked the price of all the army books, I can well understand people preferring to spend what money they have on the minis rather than the book.

Having said that, the HoC book is one of the very best that GW sell, and at 112 pages, it's easily the biggest one.

For anybody using the CoP list, the book will be very useful, although you could save the money by trawling through thousands of posts on this site - all the info you'll need is in the forums here, but in a very fragmented form.

It is against forum rules for anybody to post stats and points values for stuff, as well as rules, but the info is still there if you want to spend the time and effort looking for it.

Personally, I'm WAY too lazy to do that, which is why I have the book (OK, I'll admit it - I had the book long before I joined druchii.net, as I made my own unofficial CoP list long before GW did theirs, so I needed the info in the book.

But in the interests of saving money (and missing out on the superb artwork and fluff), I would make these suggestions;

For points values, look in the army lists forum. By comparing many threads, you can even deduce the points values of individual items as well as characters/units.

For special rules, look at the tactics forum. Everything you need to know (including a lot of great advice that you won't find in any army book) is in there. (check out tactics articles in the Druchii.net monthly too)

This applies to the magic rules as well, and all the magic info in the HoC book is available from the GW site in the form of the Lore of Slaanesh magic cards PDF file.

Much of the info on daemons is available in the other SoC armylists - Archaon's Horde and Daemonic Legions - cross-reference all of these sources with the Druchii.net forums and you'll probably find that gaming-wise, the book is not needed. (although you'll need to put in a hell of a lot of work to do it this way)

But I still think the army books are works of art in their own right, and very nice to have anyway.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

I´d recommend the HoC book, not that it is a problem for me really since i got pretty much every damn book due to the fact i cant make up my goddamn mind...
but the HoC book is always the one i get back too.
a work of art... yes i believe they are :P
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Ooooops, I misread and thought you were talking about the Storm of Chaos book :oops:

As for Hordes of Chaos, if you are going to be using a CoS army then its virtually a neccessary purchase! Go buy it now! ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Dekhalan
Highborn

Post by Dekhalan »

Or you could just do a Kazaa documents search for 'Hordes of Chaos'...

I'm sure someone will happily 'share' the book with you in electronic format :D
...And so it came to pass that the foul elf known as DEKHALAN CHILLWIND invaded our fair shores. This fiend began a campaign of killings, rapings, lootings, enslavings and burnings, sparing neither age nor sex...
Chronicle of Walter of Lyonesse
Hyperion quistekh
Morathi's Beloved

Post by Hyperion quistekh »

Along with all the virusses he has!

No, seriously, I'd really recommend you buy the book. It's great: artwork, fluff, etc. And of course all the army list in a good layout.

For mounted Daemonettes you could also check the latest chronicles, they're in there.
'Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa?
Volo anaticulam cumminosam meam!'

Inquisitor Constantine at the battle of Latinus Prime.
(Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes)