LotR: The Two Towers

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bloodtemplar
Malekith's Best Friend

LotR: The Two Towers

Post by Bloodtemplar »

So the first night shows are over now and we can finally express our opinion on the movie itself.

I think it wasn't as good as the first one and not nearly as good as FotR Extended. Battle was all well and good technically but somehow there wasn't enough emotions and feeling bound to the fights.

Too much humour also, didn't like all of it although some of it was pretty good.

What did you think?
Metal for miniatures - plastic for toys.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Haven't seen it. It comes out here in the land of Oz on Boxing Day.

But tell me: how did it end? Did they go through the encounter with Shelob?
The new guy
Highborn

Post by The new guy »

Coming about this time tommorrow, but im seeing on thursday, ill tell you then
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Oh they better have the encounter with Shelob, I'm pretty sure that's in the second book after all.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Encounter with Shelob is at the end of the second book. First showing here is in less than 2 hours. Too bad I'm not going to that one. :(
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

There are two major things I was looking forward to in the LOTR books. The balrog which I was supremely impressed with and the encounter with Shelob. I really hope it's in there.... really.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

It should be there, but I don't know how they are going to split it. They split it more or less where it should be split for the first movie, but the second one might be logistically difficult in terms of splitting it where the book splits it.

As a side note, there aren't three books of LotR. It is just one novel. And there are six books in it, not three. The three things you are talking about is the three parts.

Pedantic note.
Goodbye.
Bloodtemplar
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bloodtemplar »

Shelob isn't in this movie. Jackson moved the encounter to the third movie because he thought that otherwise the hobbits play too small part in it.
Last edited by Bloodtemplar on Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Well, only one more year until you can see it then... :mrgreen:

Bye
Thanee
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I've seen it yesterday and I think it's much better than the first movie. And the battle at Helms deep was awesome :D. I'm already looking forard to he next movie.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

Because it isn't, the first one was much much better than this one, I haven't read the book and I think this way, my friend has read the book and thinks the same; the battle scenes are cool and that's about it!
Lordkolchak
Corsair

Post by Lordkolchak »

Arghhh!! !frown! !cry! Not good??? hmmmm, i really liked the first movie and from the ads the 2nd one seems really good as well. Im gonna see it on saturday so i'll pass judgemnet then but im not gonna be disheartened yet.

LK

P.S. i was really looking forward to that
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

No Fake a.k.a Zhakor wrote:The main problem is that nothing really happens in the second book, so the producer 'spiced' it up alittle. Still no good, I'm afraid :(

Are you kidding?? The second book was by far my favorite. I have yet to judge the movie, but if it follows the book it should be great.
Lateo
Noble

Post by Lateo »

It is a good movie, although the first one had more feelings and emotions in it, but I have to say the TTT is a bit better than TFOTR. More things happen in the TTT but it didn´t give me shivers like the first one..
Prince kalhethar
Slave on the Altar

Post by Prince kalhethar »

I have read the second book and it was really great, but I haven't seen the movie yet. I hope it's not as bad as some of you say it is. I'm planning to see it on the weekend so I'll see.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

No Fake a.k.a Zhakor wrote:The main problem is that nothing really happens in the second book, so the producer 'spiced' it up alittle. Still no good, I'm afraid :(

Oh please, HEAPS of stuff happens in the second part. Twice as much as the first part, anyway. But most of the stuff in TTT is action, so whatever. If he didn't spend however long on Helm's Deep, I would have gotten severely pissed off with him.

I heard that they kept Treebeard, but did they let the Ents sack Isengard? I had a nagging suspicion for a while that they would have the Rohirrim do it or something, but I haven't heard either way on it.
Goodbye.
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

the movie started 00.01 on the 18th here, bless Denmark :) I was of course there (along with a large amount of really weird people with armor and swords and shiz :shock:) ...

Personally, I think the movie was less than I'd hoped for, but still incredible! I loved the battle at Helm's Deep, although I would have preferred if that dwarf had kept his mouth shut instead of being funny. And it was such a shame that Haldir (isn't that his name?) died, I really liked that guy! Go High Elves!!

And yes, the Ents did demolish Isengard ... that scene is so cool :mrgreen: However, I would have preferred more Ents, I think you see less than 50 of them. That's such a shame, when I read the book I imagined a horde of ents moving forward, annihilating all in their path... but they're bigger than I expected, which is good :) I only expected them to be like 4 metres tall and they turn out to be more like 10 :mrgreen:

All in all, a kick-ass movie, but I hope #3 will have the emotions of the first one. It suits LotR better IMO...

Oh yeah, and I HATE gollum! Don't ask me why, I just do!! But he's the best animated creature to date if you ask me.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Gollum rules! I like the little guy. I'm sorry he died :cry:. Oooh, sorry to those who haven't read the novel. Well, too late. He dies in part three.

As for movie three having the emotions, well, RotK didn't really have EMOTIONS as such, it was more biblical in its style. Not so much about emotions.
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

My suggestion to all of you. Read the books. The movies will NEVER replace the incredible epic in the books. In my mind, the movies just serve as a good visualization for many of the scenes in the book. Two Towers was an excellent movie I thought, and I'm somewhat of a Tolkien 'purist.' I had issues with it, like Faramir, the Ent Moot, Osgiliath (why the heck did they need that?), the Wargs, and the fact that there was no Shelob (though I understand why she's moved to the 3rd movie). Yes, there were errors, whatever. It was still heart-thumping intense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie, and Gimli and Legolas are so sweet it's not even funny, even though Gimli is the comic relief (which was desperately needed because Helms Deep was sooooo intense!). Did you see Gimli go to town on those Orcs after Aragorn throws him? One of my favorite parts. Anywho, all in all I was pleased, very pleased. Just remember that it will NEVER be exactly how we want it and just watch it for what it is. Hope it helps! Read the books!!!

Go Glorfindel and Quickbeam (my two fav characters they took out of the movie - Damn him!!!)

Kitrik
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Sneaky wrote:Gollum rules! I like the little guy. I'm sorry he died :cry:. Oooh, sorry to those who haven't read the novel. Well, too late. He dies in part three.

As for movie three having the emotions, well, RotK didn't really have EMOTIONS as such, it was more biblical in its style. Not so much about emotions.

You are an idiot. It was hardly "too late" Its not like you are speaking and can't take your words back. Use the delete key.

You didn't sopil anything for me but you may have for others.

Moron... :roll:
Dekhalan
Highborn

Post by Dekhalan »

No Quickbeam ?

B'oh !

I am seeing on Sunday...was looking forward to some good Quickbeam action...
Loomis13
Slave on the Altar

Post by Loomis13 »

i'll start by saying i'm a big dwarf fan, so if it sounds like i hate elves, i don't, just like dwarfs a lot more! A LOT!!

well i felt the ents were great. shelob being moved is understandable. aragon's lil thing w/ the river and the wondering i hated (though a good excuse to put liv in the move :D ) i loved the urak-hai bezerkers (the guys w/ no armour and big swords; 1 lit the bombs) speaking of which, i hated the use of explosives. i felt they did gollum great (i'm a bit of a fan, but nothing compared to my bro) they made the audience pitty him, but he was a bit cartoonish at times. gimli was a riot ("problem w/ dwarf women is that they look like dwarf men" !lol! ) and he kicked (even once in the literal sense) too (i was disappointed w/ TFOTR b/c he didn't) i'm glad they got the focus off legolas. i didn't like gimli's lil sliding move, but i HATED legolas on the shield, too hollywood. they screwed up faramir which angered me beyond belief !evil! . good to get that outta my system.

Loomis
Loomis