A Nagarythian 1500 pts army (lots of fluff too!)

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Alith anar
Shadowking

A Nagarythian 1500 pts army (lots of fluff too!)

Post by Alith anar »

WARNING: LONG POST!!! (for a 1,5k army list anyway)

Having said that, I didn't really know where to put this since I couldn't find a forum named 'non-druchii army lists' or something like that... and besides, Nagarythe is as close to Naggaroth as it gets... but I'm sorry if I fucked up. anyway, here's the army with fluff and all. N'joy-

The Elves of Nagarythe normally fight their enemies by means of stealth and ambush, and are known and feared for their ruthlessness and daring tactics, as well as their boundless, destructive hatred towards their tainted brothers, the Druchii of Naggaroth. The folk of Nagarythe prefer to fight the enemy on their terms, separating them and destroying them piecemeal in swift ambushes and short but brutal close combat attacks, although they prefer the arrow above the sword for its silence and deadly efficiency.
However, there are rare occasions when the Shadow Warriors, as they are commonly known, are forced to confront an enemy in open battle. Yet an enemy should hesitate to see this as an advantage for the elves of Nagarythe are terrible in their wrath, and their armies are as beautiful to behold, as they are deadly in action! Ranks of spearmen, their silver armour and gaunt faces hidden beneath dark clothes, stand side by side with the feared members of the Nagarythian detachment of Swordmasters, commonly used by the ruling elite of Nagarythe to carry out assassinations or as heavier support for the bowmen when needed. They answer to the Shadowking alone, and although most of the Asur community believe that these tainted Swordmasters should return to The White Tower of Hoeth for a trial of faith and loyalty, so far none have dared to attempt to bring them back to the Loremaster.
But the armies of the Shadowlands are not infantry alone; amongst the ranks of spearmen are units of Silver Helms and mounted scouts, as well as ranks of bowmen and stealthy units of Shadow Warriors, ghosting forward through the terrain, ready to strike the enemy when he is most vulnerable. Even the beasts of the land answer the call of the Nagarythians, and eagles as well as more terrible beasts has been reported following the dark armies of the Shadowking.

The above fluff should give you a quite good idea about the army, so without further rambling, I give you;

The Shadowstrike Warband (working title)

Characters

Commander Kalindor Shadowstrike [70] @ 134
Longbow [10], second hand weapon [4],
Shadow Armour (heavy armour; wearer gains the scouting ability.) [25],
Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward save) [25]

Kalindor is an unrelenting warrior, known for tracking his targets for days, his hatred driving him ever forward. He excels at hunter-killer missions, incapacitating the target with his longbow, and then finishing off his prey with his twin blades. He is usually followed by a band of veteran shadow warriors, their grim expressions and bloody trophies a testimony to their ruthlessness. These elite scouts are just as unforgiving as Kalindor himself, and have been the bane of countless enemies through time.

Commander Faelin Shadowstrike [70] @ 145
Heavy armour [4], lance [4], elven steed [12] with ilthilmar barding (no M penalty) [5],
Enchanted Shield (shield; 5+ armour save) [10],
Reaver Bow (longbow; may fire 3 S5 shots each shooting phase) [40]

Faelin is the brother of Kalindor, and where Kalindor prefers to remain undetected, Faelin is always seen riding into the fray where the fighting is thickest. His magical longbow is a formidable weapon capable of penetrating the thickest armour and slaying the toughest foe, and in close combat, he can be seen skewering his enemies with his mithril lance, protected by a massive golden shield and mounted upon a fierce, black steed. Surely the blood of the Shadowking runs through this elf's veins!

Commander Araion Shadowstrike [70] @ 125
Heavy armour [4], shield [2], halberd [4],
Radiant Gem of Hoeth (wearer counts as a lvl 1 wizard, but may cast spells while wearing armour) [45]

Araion is the most brutal of the three, and he is easily recognizable as he strides forward, his armour scarred and beaten, his halberd bloody and his jet black hair flowing around his paper white face like a halo of black light. He is the embodiment of Nagarythian pride and relentlessness, and although his reckless attitude has led him to be wounded many times, he always comes back from the brink of death, more eager than ever to bring destruction upon his enemies.
Lately Araion was given a small gem with arcane powers by the Bladelord of a Swordmaster contingent following the Warband for saving him from a Druchii Executioner. Or, at least, Araion reasoned, the Bladelord would probably have given it to him, had he still been alive. Unfortunately, the Druchii had successfully beheaded the Swordmaster before Araion had the luck to kill him. It haven't really bothered Araion -he never liked the Bladelord anyway.

Core

19 Spearmen [209] with full command [30] @ 239
Light armour, shields, spears

Many an enemy has impaled himself upon the spears of these gaunt warriors, mistaking their frail looks for weakness. They are usually followed by Araion Shadowstrike, and will follow him to their deaths -and should they choose not to, they will probably still end up that way. However, that is unlikely to happen, for the bond of blood between these warriors is stronger than steel.

6 Silver Helms [114] with full command [35] @ 188
Heavy armour [12], shields [12], lances, barded elven steeds,
Banner of Ellyrion (unit treats difficult ground as open ground for all purposes) [15]

These highly trained riders often surprise an enemy with their speed, and most enemies do not realize that doom is upon them until it is too late. They operate alone, away from the main battle, preferring to make a decisive strike when and where the enemy is most vulnerable, rather than charging recklessly into the enemy ranks. Most of these knights have fought for decades in the service of the Shadow King, and as such the use unorthodox weapons and armour is not unusual. Although not normal elven behaviour, no agents of the Phoenix King has dared comment it, a single gaze from one of the bloodied knights being enough to silence all but the most foolish of elves.

10 Archers [120] @ 120
Longbows

10 Archers [120] @ 120
Longbows

Where ever the armies of Nagarythe set foot, there are Archers. The deadly bowmen of Nagarythe are infamous for their pinpoint accuracy and for the merciless way that they shoot down all who oppose them. Slaves, unarmoured enemies or enemy commanders stepping forth to call out a challenge -it matters not to these cold-hearted elves, whose only code of war is that a good enemy is a dead one.

Special

5 Ellyrian Reavers [90] with musician [7] @ 127
Light armour, spears, elven steeds, bows [30]

5 Ellyrian Reavers [90] with musician [7] @ 127
Light armour, spears, elven steeds, bows [30]

Acting as the eyes and ears of the Nagarythian armies, these are invaluable. However, where scouts are normally not very warlike, with the Reavers of Nagarythe, this is not so. Like all folk of Nagarythe they are merciless and cold-hearted, and would rather engage a stronger enemy and take some losses, than let the enemy escape, even if it was of no obvious significance. They usually pick on scouts and other weak targets with their bows, before slaughtering them to the last man using their long cavalry spears and blood stained swords.

5 Shadow Warriors [75] @ 75
Longbow, light armour

Covered in trophies from slain enemies, these Shadow Warriors appear as savages next to the usually far more refined Asur of other regions. However, it is a brave elf indeed that has the courage to say this to their faces. They are the sworn bodyguard of Kalindor Shadowstrike, and are the last of a larger group of Shadow Warriors, the perils of war taking their toll on their numbers.

Rare

2 Great Eagles [100] @ 100

These twin eagles are loyal followers of the Shadowstrike brothers, and has saved the day more than once, butchering enemy war machine crews and descending like dark angels of death upon lone sorcerers, engineers and the like. They rarely leave anyone alive, and even though some enemies do not die from their wounds, they are never able to fight, and rarely even walk again. As merciless as the elves they are loyal to, they are the perfect addition to the Warband.

Heh, I think I got a little bit carried away there :mrgreen: Anyway, some numbers:

) 36 bowshots, and the 3 S5 shots from the Reaver Bow
) 3 power dice, as well as 3 dispel dice (amazing, isn't it)

And a few changes I've been thinking about (but wanted you guys' opinions on first):

) Exchange Araion Shadowstrike (the fellow with the halberd and the Radiant Gem of Hoeth) for a lvl 1 mage with the Annulian Crystal (during the enemy magic phase, the HE player may take one enemy power dice and add to his own dispel pool).
) Loose some points somewhere and add a small unit of Swordmasters as flankers.
) Get rid of some of the magic items, after all, I've spent no less than 160 pts on the damn things!
) Get more bowshots!!

Well, what do you think about it? Please voice your opinion, I've spent one hell of a long time writing that down!! :roll: No, really...

Oh yeah, and one last thing, spare me posts containing nothing more than the usual "be gone foul Asur, I shall have your head ect ect" ... I'd like some honest opinions on this one.

Well?
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wait a minute, why are u posting this in this forum, it is for dark elf armies only. try posting this list in the non-druchii discussion. Try posting in the RIGHT forum
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Alith_Anar wrote:I didn't really know where to put this since I couldn't find a forum named 'non-druchii army lists' or something like that... and besides, Nagarythe is as close to Naggaroth as it gets... but I'm sorry if I fucked up.

Hey man, easy...
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

sorry, it would just get more constructive replies in the right forum.

otherwise sounds like a good list. my friend plays w/ high elves and in his 1500 points he has something like this:
3x10 archers, champion
lvl2 mage, channeler? misc equipment
------------------"-------------------------
commander,
10 swordmasters, banner of sorcery
2 RBT

he always seems to do well but i dont like his style of play. more urs, good army
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

Moved this to NDD

Bye
Lord Thalack
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Oeric, Thx m8 (well, it's a start :mrgreen:) ... actually I like my own list better as well. 10 Swordmasters with an expensive banner, in 1,5k? Pff, thats about as unfluffy and cheesy as it gets. Besides, my force would cream his any day since I have the better fluff! :P

To anyone else reading this, please please please give me some feedback! Here's the list in a more easily commentable (?) form.

Chars

Commander @ 134
Heavy armor, longbow, 2nd hand weapons
Other than that (henceforth known as Ott): scout, 5+ Ward

Commander @ 145
Heavy armor, mithril barded elven steed, Enchanted Shield, lance
Ott: powerful magical longbow

Commander @ 125
Heavy armor, shield, halberd
Ott: lvl. 1 mage

Core

19 Spearmen with command @ 239

6 Silver Helms with command @ 188
full armor, regular barding :(
Ott: ignore difficult terrain

2x10 Archers

Special

2x5 Ellyrian Reavers
bows, musicians

5 Shadow Warriors

Rare

2 Great Eagles

Total: 1500

Come on, it doesen't get any easier than that! Best reply wins a free swim across the Atlantic!
Regards, A.A.

Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

looks rather good to me, but I am hardly an authoroty on those ... things!! *she said venom dripping from the very words* ;)

Post by Guest »

Aww cmon, theyre nagarythian after all :mrgreen:

(aa here, just 2 lazy 2 login :))
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

10 Swordmasters with an expensive banner, in 1,5k? Pff, thats about as unfluffy and cheesy as it gets. Besides, my force would cream his any day since I have the better fluff!

lol, i think his army is cheesy but he just says no, he men are hitting on 4's at long range, ouch!!

Chars

Commander @ 134
Heavy armor, longbow, 2nd hand weapons
Other than that (henceforth known as Ott): scout, 5+ Ward

Commander @ 145
Heavy armor, mithril barded elven steed, Enchanted Shield, lance
Ott: powerful magical longbow

give the first one the magical bow,and drop his bow, then give the second one the 5+ward

Commander @ 125
Heavy armor, shield, halberd
Ott: lvl. 1 mage

surely a lvl2 mage is better??

Core

19 Spearmen with command @ 239

6 Silver Helms with command @ 188
full armor, regular barding
Ott: ignore difficult terrain

2x10 Archers

good

Special

2x5 Ellyrian Reavers
bows, musicians

5 Shadow Warriors

Rare

2 Great Eagles

personalyy i would change these for bolt throwers, but they can be very helpful

Total: 1500

nice list, but i dont know the points costs as i dont have the book w/ me. i think it works out at about the same
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Oeric wrote:give the first one the magical bow,and drop his bow, then give the second one the 5+ward

Well, the armour that makes him a scout costs 25 pts, and the Bow 40, so that would pose a problem.

Anyway, I posted this on Ulthuan as well, here's the new and revised list I came up with (with the help of others, mind you)... it has more emphasis on Shadow Warriors (5 of them in a Nagarythe army? I apologize) and being silent (a fluff thing, it means no musicians)... here it is, tell me what you think:

NOTICE!There are a few Asur jokes involved, just ignore and live in blissful ignorance ;)

The x-men warband (I think I'll leave the fluff to later, since this might not be the final version... and besides, I already wrote quite alot)

Chars

Commander Kalindor the X-man [70] @ 134
Longbow [10], longsword (fluffy name for halberd) [4],
Shadow Armour (heavy armour; wearer gains the scouting ability.) [25],
Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward save) [25]

Commander Faelin the X-man [70] @ 118
Heavy armour [4], longsword (as above) [4],
Reaver Bow (longbow; may fire 3 S5 shots each shooting phase) [40]

Joins the second unit of Shadow Warriors if their scouting ability isn't really needed. Otherwise he'll go alone, pick on weak targets and join with them during the game or something like that. You get it.

Mage Magneto [95] @ 145
Level 1 spellcaster,
Channeler Honor (may use one extra dice to cast spells) [10],
Annulian Crystal (during the enemy magic phase, the Asur player may take one enemy power dice and add to his own dispel dice) [40]

Your standard issue defensive mage for small games. Nothing to say here, really, except: how do you think he would fare using Shadow magic? Seems more fluffy than the oh so ever pure and bright High Magic.

Core

16 Spearmen [176] with champion [12] and standard [6] @ 200
Light armour, shields, spears

6 Silverhelms [114] with champion [14] and standard [14] @ 188
Heavy armor [12], shields [12], lance, barded elven steeds
Magic banner: Banner of Ellyrion (unit ignores difficult terrain) [15]

10 Archers [120] @ 120
Longbows

10 Archers [120] @ 120
Longbows

Special

8 Nagarythian Reavers [144] with musician [7] @ 199
Light armour, elven steeds, bows [48]

6 Shadow Warriors [90] @ 90
Longbows, light armour

6 Shadow Warriors [90] @ 90
Longbows, light armour

Rare

2 Great Ravens of Nagarythe [100] @ 100

Grand total: 1497 pts

Well, that's stage 2. What do you think?
Regards, A.A.

Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

if ur going with no musicians i would really try and make sure you win combats. try to find a way for outnumbers etc. so you wont be in many drawn combats

Post by Guest »

yes... but with this army, I'm thinking about fluff rather than results. If I get hammered too bad I'll probably add musicians... but initially, they're out.
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

you could make up ome special fluff about the pitch of the musicians instruments and the elven army
Kazador
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kazador »

In the Shadow Warriors list for Mordheim, there is an item called Warhorn of Nagarythe. Makes musicians fluffy. And anyways, if you're stalking, would you run around playing an instrument? I doubt your army musicians would too.