What should I choose for my 2nd army?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

What should I choose for my 2nd army?

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Should I use Vampire Counts or Orcs & Goblins for my next army?

I have Skaven now as a 2nd army, but after using them a bit I have decided that they are not for me and will probably be selling them soon.

I have a huge 4000pt Ork 40K army, and this is what initially kept me from going greenskins to begin with. But as I have not painted or used the army in awhile, I wouldn't mind some more greenskins. I actually love Orcs to death (my name makes this rather obvious), and I find them cooler in Fantasy than 40K.

I always wanted to play VC as well, but there were too many VC players where I used to live. This is not the case now where I am playing, so Undead have interested me a great deal again lately.

What are your experiences with each army? Which would you recommend? Keep in mind that my only Fantasy army is Dark Elves and I would like a good change of pace from them.

Thanks in advance. :D
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

nd

Post by Lord happyslave »

If you want another pace I can reccomend you ...... the dwarfs.
Where De r agile and quick and must rely a great deal on tactics, dwarfs can win a game almost all the tle by setting up around a hill ( I can know, I play Dwarves :lol: ).
They're colourful and have a great fluff.
They have a very good handgun ( may move and shoot, armourpiercing, +1 to hit on short range )
And THEY HAVE Ld9 AND T4 !!!!!!
and ALL THE WORRIORS MAY WEAR HEAVY ARMOUR!!!
and RUNES RULZZZZZZZ!!!!!
Their only drawback isn't their lack of cavalry ( dwarfs sit, wait and, slaughter the enemy ) but their limited options.
1) defense
2)defense3)
defense
4) may be attack ( I did it 2 times and I won 2 times but that's because my adversaries r duuuuuuuuuuuum !)

Cheers,
Happyslave ;)
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

The choice is only between VC and Orcs.

And I find Dwarfs to be the most boring race in the entire game. As you said yourself, all you have to do is set up on a hill and sit there. Lame...

Thanks, but no Dwarfs for me.
Venom fang
Shade

Post by Venom fang »

I would say O&G, cause they are a horde!!!
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Venom fang wrote:I would say O&G, cause they are a horde!!!

Yes, this is one of the big factors that appeals to me. And I am very experienced at painting greenskins, so building the army is not worrying me too much.

Hmmm... :idea:
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

i would definately going w/ orcs and gobbos, just for the amniosity humour value
Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

Im about to start a gobbo army (right after my damned broken army heals)and i can't wait. My planned army is all gobbos, mostley the night type, and there are 154 guys in it, a full twice as big as my DE army! The only drawback I've foud is that its gonna take me a looong time and about $308.56 to complete....
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I'm starting up a VC army myself. I do like both O&G and VC and it was definately a tough choice for me. If you want a serious army I'd go VC, if you want to have fun, go O&G. Also, if you go big battles, go VC, small, then O&G. If you normally play 2K, well, its a toss up. Both have quite a number of interesting options but VC have those extra lists in the back that are opponent use only and, to me, give it that extra options edge.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Pheonix
Corsair

Post by Pheonix »

i collect VC and reading up the history behind each bloodline is great. there skele's are simple and look good. if you want horde. HORDE WITH 300 SKELE'S. the vampires are also pretty cool
Seonix.
4 throwing daggers, shades cloak, Charlene and Storm (dagger, short sword).
kill count: 16
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I think I am wavering toward VC again now. I already have 4000pts of 40K Orks and I think the VC would be a nice changeup.

But I love Black Orcs, so I dunno... :?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

If I were to collect a second army, it would most probably be Vampire Counts.

They are very different to Dark Elves, altho probably not the most different army there is, that would be the Skaven I suppose.

Bye
Thanee
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Thanee wrote:If I were to collect a second army, it would most probably be Vampire Counts.

They are very different to Dark Elves, altho probably not the most different army there is, that would be the Skaven I suppose.

Bye
Thanee

Which is exactly why I bought Skaven. After having played them for a month, I realize they are simply not for me.

Hmm... VC or Orcs. Its so damn hard. :?
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

I would say VC. Your general can take on just about any other character in the game (chaos lords are about equal though). Grave Guard with banner of barrows and cursed book nearby are incredibly powerful. They are a very cool army, and massed skeletons are easy to paint.
Hate is my weapon.
Pheonix
Corsair

Post by Pheonix »

Poisonblade wrote:I would say VC. Your general can take on just about any other character in the game.

... but if he dies your dead meat. although his stats are impressive

M 6
WS 8
BS 6
S 5
T 5
W 4
I 8
A 5
LD 10
Seonix.
4 throwing daggers, shades cloak, Charlene and Storm (dagger, short sword).
kill count: 16
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I am definately playing Undead. I'm just going to hold off until I get my hands on the Tomb Kings book. Then I will decide on Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings.

Thanks for the help guys.

Post by Guest »

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:I am definately playing Undead. I'm just going to hold off until I get my hands on the Tomb Kings book. Then I will decide on Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings.

Thanks for the help guys.
Ditto for me. I'd rather wait till new year and then find out then rush ahead and buy a new army I'm gonna hate to death.
Supaspellman
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Supaspellman »

Sorry that was me. I forgot to log in :oops:
Look, it's time we rise and reclaim our homeland. Oh, wait our list is crap soooooooooo we can't!
Kragg the dragon lord
Cold One Knight

Post by Kragg the dragon lord »

I have an O&G army myself, and their're great, but VC is also a formidabla army, and as Vorchild said, a more serios army , vampire counts, a fun army Orc & gobbos....
I think that VC are great too, the necromentic magic is awesome, the invocation of Nehek is ......... well great :D , the hand of dust also.....

I will be collecting vampire counts or khemri when i take a look on khemri army book, but they cannot march at all,( i think) and that's worser thwn dwarves........
but they have quite good units and magic, so a hard choice....

I know i haven't said anything that help's you to choose but......well. you know !lol!