DeSade's Second Skaven League Battle!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Barondesade
Noble

DeSade's Second Skaven League Battle!

Post by Barondesade »

The rain was coming down in sheets and torrents. Lightning crackled against the dark sky. The wind roared through the trees. Miserable wet Harpies squawked and bickered, while the Manticore paced nervously back and forth, unable to fly in the storm.

Baron DeSade snarled at Petit-Noir, and shook his fist. “Your portents said today would be clear!”

The mostly-nude Sorceress shivered in the rain as she answered. “My portents were right!” she shouted over the storm, “this is the result of enemy magic.” She pushed wet hair out of her eyes.

“So turn it off!” roared the Baron. “Aren’t we supposed to be the Ultimate Masters of Dark Sorcery?”

Petit-Noir shrugged and shivered.

DeSade turned from her and looked across the field. Ever since he had foiled the Asur ritual, thousands of the rat-folk had poured over the land. He regretted attacking the High Elves now, seeing the massive wall of vermin in front of him.

Moaning and slobbering, two units of Rat Ogres stood at each end of the massive Skaven army, which literally seemed to stretch as far as the eye could see. Next to them, moving towards the center of the Skaven line, regiments of Giant Rats squeaked and sniffed the air. Next to them were regiments of human and goblin slaves, followed by two units of Clan-rats. In the center were a unit of Plague Monks and a regiment of Stormvermin, backed up by two Warplock Engineers. DeSade thought the whole design of the army was remarkably symmetrical for such a barbaric race.

He looked up at the sky again, cursing the storm. Without his flyers to leap over the Skaven lines, he was going to have to try and punch through the rats the hard way. He gave his Dark Steed a sharp kick and ordered his army to advance!

The two armies moved towards each other; the Skaven, like an unstoppable tide of brown fur, while the Dark Elves seemed a thin wave of black metal.

Sensing she was close enough, Lorraine the War Hydra charged into the Rat Ogres on the right flank. The Mercenary Knights, Steinauer’s Company, leveled their lances and galloped full tilt into a unit of Clan-rats. Dark Elf Shades sprang from a nearby building to attack the same Clan-rats in the flank. The Cold One Chariot surged forwards, powering into the unit of Goblin slaves. Dark Riders drove their spears at the other unit of slaves. The Manticore loped across the ground, leaping at the enemy General in his unit of Clan-rats. Dark Riders galloped in alongside the Manticore, adding their spears to his claws.

DeSade led his squad of Dark Riders around the Rat Ogres in front of him. He was gambling a lot, he knew, but if things went well, the Skaven line would be broken in several places. Petit-Noir, following close behind cast a Chillwind spell onto the Rat Ogres, giving one a minor case of frostbite.

The Cold One Chariot roared into the Goblin Slaves, slaughtering five of them. The Slaves panicked and broke, allowing the Chariot to utterly smash their formation. DeSade exulted.

Dark Riders speared three of the Human Slaves, but one was canny enough to kill a Dark Rider, causing them to lose the battle by one. DeSade winced. If the battle had been a tie, he would have won, as the Slaves had no musician.

The Mercenaries, in a stunning display of incompetence, inflicted only one wound on the Warplock Engineer in the Clan-Rat unit, and killed only one other Skaven soldier. Although the Shades killed two, one of them was killed in return, and the battle was drawn.

The Manticore inflicted a paltry one wound on the Skaven General, while the Dark Riders were only able to kill two of the Clan-Rats. In return, the Skaven General easily knocked the Beastmaster from his perch and stabbed him to death, while the Clan-rats brought down another Dark Rider. Having lost so badly, both of the Dark Elf units fled. The Clan-rats eagerly pursued the Manticore, who could not fly to escape, swarming all over the beast and devouring it within moments.

Lorraine inflicted two wounds on the Rat Ogres she was fighting, taking one in return.

DeSade shook his head. Now the Skaven would be able to bring their superior numbers to bear.

Plague Monks crashed into the side of the Mercenary Knights, but the Giant Rats decided that if they tried to join the battle between the Hydra and the Rat Ogres, they would only get stepped on. They fled in squeaking terror.

Although the Plague Monks tore at the armored Knights in a screaming frenzy, their attacks could not break the Human’s armor. Knights killed two of the Clan-rats, while the Shades did nothing but die twice. The Dark Elves lost the battle very badly, yet both units miraculously held on two rolls of “3” or less, not that it would change the inevitable outcome.

Slaves and Dark Riders hacked at each other, bringing down two units on each side. The Dark Riders broke and fled, but the famished Slaves pursued them too quickly, ripping the Elves down from their tasty horses and preparing to turn their fine steeds into fine steaks.

The Hydra and the Rat Ogres each inflicted one wound on each other.

The Cold One Chariot, overexcited by the destruction it had caused, continued to mindlessly charge across the battlefield. The Storm Banner finally blew itself out, and the Harpies joyously took to the air. Corsairs charged forwards to help the Hydra, and the Baron DeSade led his Dark Riders in a charge on the Rat Ogres on his side of the battle field.

Petit-Noir was having little success with her magic, but she managed to generate another Chillwind, which killed 3 Giant Rats.

DeSade and his Dark Riders attacked the Rat Ogres with the Fury of Khaine himself, killing two of the beasts. Although the surviving Rat Ogre clubbed one of the Dark Riders from his saddle, the unit was completely broken. With a Druchii battle-cry, DeSade and the Riders rode down the fleeing Rat Ogre and crashed into the flank of a regiment of Giant Rats.

The Plague Monks finally managed to beat down two of the Knights, while the Knights killed two Clan-rats, while the Clan-rats killed two of the Shades. Having been so badly beaten, the Knights and Shades both broke and ran, with the Plague Monks in frenzied pursuit of the Knights.

On the right flank, the fevered attack of the Corsairs slew a Rat Ogre, breaking the unit. The Hydra gleefully chased them down.

On the Skaven turn, the Stormvermin charged a unit of Dark Riders, who promptly fled out of their reach. The frenzied Plague Censer Bearers chased down the single fleeing Shade. The Plague Monks, who were excellent runners despite their many sicknesses, chased down the Knights and stomped them. The Giant Rats who had fled from the Hydra continued to make their escape.

The Warplock Engineers, having finally gathered a sufficient amount of warp-energy, unleashed Warp Lighting and the bound Storm Demon on the Druchii Lancer regiment, killing 7 Spearmen. Another burst of Warp Lightning fried five of the six Harpies. Showing the bravery my Harpies are renowned for, the last winged-wench did not flee.

DeSade and the Dark Riders speared six of the Giant Rats, breaking the unit and running them down.

The Cold One Chariot continued on its own merry way, oblivious of the battle around it.

Although they knew it was futile, the Lancer regiment lowered its spears and charged the Clan-Rats that held the vermin’s general. There was small hope that they could inflict one more hit on the already wounded Skaven, while in truth, there was no where for them to run to.

With a glad cry, the lone Harpy swooped down on the fleeing Giant Rat regiment, slaying them all.

Although neither the gallant Druchii Spearmen nor their foul Skaven opponents could land a blow, the weight of the rats was enough to break the Spearmen. They were run down by the drooling vermin.

Spotting the Hydra, the Stormvermin charged the monster, easily passing their Terror test. Plage Censer Bearers charged into the Hydra’s flank.

Again, the Warplock Engineers unleashed their warp-lightning, and although the surge of power killed one of them in the process, Baron DeSade’s entire squad of Dark Riders was slain, leaving the Baron by himself.

Although Lorraine’s mighty constitution was proof against the poison gas of the Plague Censer Bearers, they still beat her mightily with their flails, while the Stormvermin stabbed her with their halberds. Although the Beastmaster Apprentices slew one of the vermin, and Lorraine’s thrashing tail smashed two of the Plague Censer Bearers, the wounded Hydra panicked and ran, only to be caught and killed by the pursuing Skaven.

The death of the mighty War Hydra proved to be too much for the disheartened Druchii. Both the Corsair and the Dark Rider units which were close to the Hydra panicked and ran.

Baron DeSade, alone on the left flank except for Petit-Nor, with his army in flight and still outnumbered three to one, tossed his helmet in the dirt and called it a day at the end of turn four.

Blah, beaten again!
Last edited by Barondesade on Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

With all the losses, you'd think the DeSades would be executed by Malekith by now, just joking man, I been there.

Hordes suck. The only way I can deal with then is by taking units that can attack a lot, such as witch elves, and sometimes taking rxb w shields actually works against them. Why are you using the mercs so much? A role playing thing? Seems to me that perhaps some bolt throwers would be better than the mercs have served you.

However its easy to criticise.

Keep yer head up. What I find helps keep me playing is having another army, so that if I get fed up with the DE then I can work on something else for a while (such as orcs, ever seen a giant get stuck in? Its hilarious...). Don't know if it will work for you, but its my 2 cents.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Alcing ragaholic
Lord of Mod-Assassins

Ooh

Post by Alcing ragaholic »

Well, at least you inflicted a decent amount of casualties on the rats. What's surprising is that the slaves ran down the Dark Riders...

Z
======================
<langmann> hah, I'll take florida over 10 feet of snow/day. My balls sweat and I'm cold and my back is sore from shoveling.

Join the DNet chatroom today!
kikin it

Re: Ooh

Post by kikin it »

AloneAndBurned wrote:Well, at least you inflicted a decent amount of casualties on the rats. What's surprising is that the slaves ran down the Dark Riders...

Z

GOOD GOD MAN! THAT IS LIKE A MIRICLE!

How could slaves run them down? It would be almsot inpossible because of LD 2. !eek! !eek! !eek!
Legionz
Warrior

Post by Legionz »

running down troops has nothing to do with LD

and besides most units of slaves have a leadership of 5 (+2 ranks) and if the general is near LD9 or 10
The horned rat
Trainee Warrior

Post by The horned rat »

HAHAHAAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

More Darkelves to feast on

Skaven RocK!!!!!!
Kill-Kill

^<Skaven Symbol??
Goricexii
Noble

Post by Goricexii »

Just Die.

with love,

Gorice the Appalling, Noble of Karond Kar (formerly Warlord Sepulchrave of the Scrabbled Claws)
Hmmmm...two cold ones in a chariot drawn by dark elves. That's never a good sign...
Yeurl
Noble

Post by Yeurl »

Baron, good BR. :) I'm a bit concerned about how your BRs are starting to feel lost for the Dark Elves from the start, though!

I had a friend who said he'd never be able to beat anyone in a game of cards. That I remember, he has never won any. Psychology is such a strange thing...Just cherry up, smile confidently and proceed to kill some rats! :)
Watch your steps, my friend, for your way up is almost as fast as your way down, at the whim of the Witch King
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

To be fair, this was not the best army composition I ever made, nor did I play it so well. I took too many chances, and had too many fast units and not enough regiments. I expect that playing Orcs for a while will improve my tactical knowledge.

I'll try my best to "cherry" up ;-).
"When an attack is ordered the men must never be allowed to get the feeling that their casualties have been calculated in advance according to the laws of probablility" -Field Marshall Irwin Rommel

Baron DeSade
Yeurl
Noble

Post by Yeurl »

Ups, I think I spelled that one wrong _again_, I meant cheer up! :)

So now you're turning to orcs, uh? Interesting...I've thouht of doing it quite some times, but I didn't do it in the end, I still have to buy too many DE units and models, last time I checked I'll still have to put 150$ on the table to be able to buy all I "need". :D

Anyway, I'm glad you've already cheered up, I think my ortography fault has been for good. :lol:
Watch your steps, my friend, for your way up is almost as fast as your way down, at the whim of the Witch King
Harlequinn
Highborn

Post by Harlequinn »

Even though you lost this, the BR was awesome reading. I have a hard enough time remembering what turn I did what, let alone fictionalizing it. Great job!
- Mr. Gideon....You're not paying attention.
Valorian the merciless
Beastmaster

Post by Valorian the merciless »

great battle report.
just keep on trying and then you try some more.
remember wat doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
...I'm the king....
...the master of parody...
...Rejoice...
...for the writing continues...
Pendragon
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pendragon »

I hate rats...
Deamon whisper
The lord of Beasts
Location: Recruting Zombies for my army, wanna join (Ballerup, Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by Deamon whisper »

Pendragon wrote:I hate rats...

Me to !evil!
The one formarly known as Beastlord Zarycks

From the shaqdows we come,
from the darkness we ermerge
to grant you a fate a thousand time worse
than the peace you'll find in your grave
for i'll raise you to unlife, to be my slave
Obe wan chedobie
Slave on the Altar

Post by Obe wan chedobie »

Thanks for the list, now-now can set up my force to fight and win-win, perhaps? :twisted: :D
Chameleon
Warrior

Post by Chameleon »

I play skaven myself to (primary army)

Rat ogre's are the easiest to break as they only have a maximum ld of 7 (and only if the general is near).

All the rest has rank bonuses making the standard ld 8 and 9-10 with a hero or general. Word of advice don't charge the slaves with dark riders unless u charge them in the flank. Best thing to do against skaven are flank charges as u did with your general desade. u'll take down any skaven unit with it.

As from a skaven point of view he had 2 units rat ogre's, plague monk's plague censor bearers 2 units of slaves, 2 units giant rats a warlord in a clanrat unit and stormvermin. did he not have support for his calnrats (warpfire thrower, ratling gun) ?

Not the best skaven list imo
A Big Lick From Chammy :D
My Tomb King army:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/Khemri/index.php?showtopic=5781
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

it sad to see a fellow druchii general in a loosing streak :(
atleast now you are relieved from those weaklings of warriors :twisted:
anyways keep your head up!
i thing that can work if maybe go get another unit of something you felt "if i just had another one of those i be walking out of here with a victory" whatever you do dont stop trying!
malekith´s arm dont stretch that far... :twisted:
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Azraele
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Azraele »

Hey Baron, guess who? The only thing I would have done differently(assuming this venue was open to you) was let the Skaven come to me. See as how they had the storm banner, it makes since, as it will eventually burn itself out(odds are one-in-three).

Let THEM come towards your magic, set your cavalry and monsters as close to the flanks as you can get them, crush the ogres, work inwards...

Oh well, I'll just have to see if this sort of thing works once I collect myself up an army~Azzie
Tarrath
Executioner

Post by Tarrath »

ouch. nice battle report, even with the bad outcome. it'll be nice to actually post a winning one, neh?
Jargobae
Terror of the South

Post by Jargobae »

Great battle report

i especially liked the start(very real)

:D
Do you hate Malekith?

Are you interested in seeing the overthrow of his incompetence to be replaced by a system capable of taking Ulthuan back??

Join the spirit of Lakulei today - PM me now!
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Just a thought... I've just re-read 2-3 of your reports now, and it seems to me that most of the time, 2 things happen:

a) Your Dark Riders get shot to pieces.
b) Your Chariot smash apart anything that stands before it.

So my (obvious) advice would be:

a) Get some missile magnets. The Hydra is good, maybe dumping those lazy mon-kegh knights and getting another one would be an idea? That should ensure the safety of the Dark Riders... if I saw 2 Hydras moving towards my HE, I'd unleash hell to take them down!
b) Get another chariot?

Don't blame me if this sounds perfectly stupid. It's just off the top of my head, but right now, it seems pretty reasonable.
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Dark rider
Warrior

Post by Dark rider »

I agree with Alith Anar about getting another chariot.
Ryan
Cold One Knight

Re: Ooh

Post by Ryan »

kikin it wrote:
AloneAndBurned wrote:Well, at least you inflicted a decent amount of casualties on the rats. What's surprising is that the slaves ran down the Dark Riders...

Z

GOOD GOD MAN! THAT IS LIKE A MIRICLE!

How could slaves run them down? It would be almsot inpossible because of LD 2. !eek! !eek! !eek!

nonsense! you can add rank bonus and with the general and a bsb nearby, they can rival elves leadership even. once 24 silverhelms (3 units with 8 and full command in each) charged 40 of my slaves (2 units of 20 each with musician), and I not only beat them, I also sent them running and ran down 1, killing them all, and the others fled off the board.
Barondesade
Noble

Post by Barondesade »

Well, I definately don't want another Dark Elf chariot. I just can't deal with Stupidity anymore in an adult way. As far as my Dark Riders being shot to pieces, I recognize now that I have not been using them correctly. Although they are a great unit, they won't win all of the game for you, and yes, I recognize that charging the Slaves in the front with them was an error. Well, I did only lose by one, but playing Orcs has given me a lot of new insights into Dark Elf strategies, so change has definitely been good for me.
Skitterslick
Dark Rider

Post by Skitterslick »

Slaves are actually quite good. Mine were charged by two Khorne chariots and a Khorne lord on a juggernaught and won. HEHEHE... Anyway my advice is always charge them in the flank. I'm sure someone else said it but its very important. Try a more shinfantry based and shooty army. Let him come towards you whilst shooting with the crossbowmen (who are in front of the spearmen, executioners etc.). When they charge flee with the crossbowmen so that your fighters are at the front. Then just trust in Mot and Evad the Jam Gods.