2000pts Orcs and goblins...help please!

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

2000pts Orcs and goblins...help please!

Post by Greenskin »

hi... can someone tell me what I should change on this list?

Lord: Black orc warboss w. HA,shield and morks spirit totem. :204pts

Heroes: Black orc big boss w. HA, shield and nibblas itty ring
mount: boar :127pts

N.goblin big boss w. LA, shield and 2 madcup
mushrooms. :74pts

Orc shaman, lvl 2 wizard :100pts

Core units: 29 N.goblins w. nets and musican :126pts

30 N.goblins w.musican+3 fanatics :169pts

20 N.goblins w.musican, shortbows and 2 fanatics :114pts

41 orc boyz w. shield and FC :276pts

10 F.goblin spider riders w.musican and S.bearer :148pts

5 goblin wolf riders w. LA, shortbows and musican :71pts

5 goblin wolf riders w. shortbows, LA and musican :71pts

Special units:

9 orc boar boyz big'uns w. FC and warbanner :329pts

1 goblin spear chukka :35pts

1 goblin spear chukka :35pts

N.goblin squig herd(2n.goblins and 3 squigs) :30pts

2 squig hoppers :30pts

TOTAL :2009pts

help me with this please... ;)
-sindre-
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

Have not seen the new O&G book yet, but from face value the list has nothing for magic defence. If your only fielding the one shaman I would have him lvl one and give him a pair of scrolls (or what ever cool item the book may have). Also from what I have heard on the new squig rules they are a pretty fun unit, but having so few models is probably not going to accomplish much.

The unit selection seems pretty good and has a nice balance. From what has been said I don't think the bigun upgrade is worht it and could save you alot of points off of relatively few models. Also having 41 orc boys in one unit seems a bit unwieldy and likely overkill. Maybe 2 seperate units of 20 or 25.
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

my magic defence is the morks spirit totem,,, it give me 3 dispel dice and then i have 6 ;)
-sindre-
Dranthar
Warrior

Post by Dranthar »

Morks spirit totem is a banner, meaning it can only be given to a battle standard bearer (which can only be a big boss, not a warboss) or a unit capable of carrying a magic banner (black orcs and boar boys?)

Also, I'm pretty sure squig hoppers have a minimum unit size of 5.

41 orc boys in a single unit is way over the top. I'd much prefer to take them in smaller units of 25-30
"There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change Everything"
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

thnx for all help until this ;)
-sindre-
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Re: 2000pts Orcs and goblins...help please!

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Mount your BSB for the extra save. people WILL direct attacks at him. Also since the spirit totem is a banner you can only give it to a standard bearer (look again at page 49 and you will see that a warboss cant have a standard).

a single level 2 wont do much as his little spells will get dispelled.

bear boyz big uns?! way to expensive for what they do! (28points compared to 33 for a chaos knight!) i would just make them normal boar boyz.

41 orks?! a tad overkill. no need to go over 30

squig hoppers are min sized at 5
Thefanaticking
Cold One Knight

Post by Thefanaticking »

Your orc boys unit size is the size your Night Gobbos unit size should be and vice versa.

Personally, I never, let me reiterate, NEVER, play a unit of Night Gobbos smaller than 30 ( and even then I'd wish it was 40.)

Boys should be good in a nice strong unit of 25.
Should try and squeeze another unit of these guys in.

I'd also drop the short bow night goblins. I personally think missle units (other than fast cav and war machines) in an O&G army are useless. (Keep the chukka's they can easily make their cost back.

Also everything they said above applies as well.

Good Luck! :)
"As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want." - Donald Rumsfeld
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

thnx for all! ;) is this everything i need to do with the list :roll:
-sindre-
Harabec

Post by Harabec »

Well that should about cover everything for the list in its current draft. You would want to take and rework the list, at least changing the things that are illegal (squig unit size and morks banner on your lord). Then after you make a new draft you can repost and gather some more ideas from there.
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

ok 8) thanx for all
-sindre-
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

You need to consider the possiblity that your opponent triggers the fanatics with a sacrificial unit and lets them thrash your army, so i'd drop some fanatics. 3 is enough really. Maybe give all your goblin units standards, they need all the cr they can get. (I know you risk giving up VP but I think its worth it.) I don't really like nets... for the points i'd prefer 10 more goblins.

A unit of 30 night goblins with bows, standard and fanatic is nearly as good as a regular unit of goblins in CC and suprisingly good at shooting large targets. 30 shots hitting on 4 (+1 for large target, -1 for range normally) means 15 hits, which is about 2.5 wounds against T5 or 6. A monster with scaly skin will shrug this off but it works on manticores, giants etc.

I'd split the boar boyz into 2 small units (Not big uns). This means you need to pick squig herds or hoppers, i'd go with hoppers. Drop some of the the 41 orcs.

I'd swap the shortbows on the wolf riders for spears. 5 goblins shooting won't do anything and spears mean you can break war machine crews. Spider riders in units of 10 are great for negating rank bonus so i'd keep them.

That frees up a ton of points so get more orcs. Maybe the amulet of protectyness for the general? I like the no magic weapons thing but maybe give that goblin big boss a GW.
Character Name: Dah'menk

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

Weapons: Long Sword, shield, light armour, corsair handbow, 5 clips of ammo, excellent quality knife, small knife.

Character class: Warrior
Skills: Defensive fighting

RPG Group 18 mod
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

OK, here's my new list...please help me with this list...

lord and heroes: :)

Orc warboss w. LA, Porko's Pigstikka, spiteful shield+
mounted on boar (he is joining orc boar boyz 212pts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------N.goblin big boss w. LA, shield and madcup mushroom(joining n.gobbos 31) 54pts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orc shaman lvl 2 wizard 100pts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core units and special units : :)

29 orc boyz big'uns w. FC, shield and morks spirit totem 370pts
30 N.goblins w. bows, standard, musican and 2 fanatics 152pts
30 N.foblins w. musican and 3 fanatics 169pts
31 N.goblins w. nets,musican and 1 fanatic 157pts
10 spider riders w. musican and standard 148pts
5 wolf riders w. spear and musican 71pts
6 wolf riders w. spear and musican 84pts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 goblin spear chukka 35pts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 goblin spear chukka 35pts
9 orc boar boyz w.FC and warbanner 261pts
10 squig hoppers 150pts

there! 8) Is this a good list? what changes do I need to do now?
-sindre-
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Don't bump your threads Greenskin. I only have to come along and delete them.

Mod RasputinII
Pleased to be back
Arisos
Executioner

Post by Arisos »

Spider riders are fast cav, so no rank bonuses.
Split the unit in 2 and give them both musicians, banner is too risky they aren't shock cavalry..

Think you should drop the lvl 2 on the shaman and buy him a scroll
OR
Get a second Shaman..
We shall fight them on the beaches. We shall fight them on the landing grounds.
We shall fight them in the fields and in the streets.
We shall fight them in the hills. We shall accept their surrender, and use them as slaves!
Kiaron hebleth
Black Guard

Post by Kiaron hebleth »

As I said I woundn't change this, 10 is a good unit size for a flanking unit of cheap fast cav. You're probably right about the banner though.

Greenskin, I still say you should split the boarboyz into 2 units of 5. In a unit of 10 half of them will never get to fight, so your paying around 100 points for the outnumbering bonus (and ranks if none of them are dead, thats never going to happen) 2 units gives you more flexabilty and allows you to hit different units.
Character Name: Dah'menk

Stats:
WS5 S3 T2 D4 I4

Weapons: Long Sword, shield, light armour, corsair handbow, 5 clips of ammo, excellent quality knife, small knife.

Character class: Warrior
Skills: Defensive fighting

RPG Group 18 mod
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

Kiaron Hebleth wrote:

As I said I woundn't change this, 10 is a good unit size for a flanking unit of cheap fast cav. You're probably right about the banner though.

Greenskin, I still say you should split the boarboyz into 2 units of 5. In a unit of 10 half of them will never get to fight, so your paying around 100 points for the outnumbering bonus (and ranks if none of them are dead, thats never going to happen) 2 units gives you more flexabilty and allows you to hit different units.

if im taking 2 units with boar boyz...shall i give both of them FC? or only musican...
-sindre-
Harabec

Post by Harabec »

I would drop the lvl 2 off the shaman and get a scroll. Always useflu to have at least one for that big 11-12+ spell. The lvl 2 by himself will not likely get much off anyway.

Any reason why you misbalanced the fanatics in you units? Just wondering why one has 3 and then your hero unit only has the one. The spider riders are probably fine in the 10 unit. You have 2 extra wolf rider units anyway.

Up to personal preference if you want to split up the boar boys. if you do I would leave one with only musician an then have the second with full command still for you lord. You could drop a few fanatics to make a 6 boar unit and have the second 6 or 7 as well.
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

ok ! thanks :D yes one of the units has 3 and another 1...its because of im thinking to set the boar boyz and night goblins between eachoter and then i dont want the fanatics to smash the boar boyz w. lord ;) but is it better to take 2 fanatics in each unit?
-sindre-
Harabec

Post by Harabec »

Well it is not anything mandatory, I was just wondering if there had been a reason. If the boars are going to be near the one unit, then yeah that is actually a smart idea. I'd take the list pretty much as is and test it out a few times. Let us kjnow how you do.
Greenskin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenskin »

Hi.. i played against skaven... I did it quite well the first rounds,but the list didn't work very well for me... Thanx for all help with the list ;)
-sindre-