Lord Katan's Renegade Reavers 2k-MSE 13's and COB

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Lord Katan's Renegade Reavers 2k-MSE 13's and COB

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Lord Katan's Renegade Reavers 2k

Dark Elf Highborn
-Crystal of Midnight
-The Black Amulet
-Sea Dragon Cloak
-Repeater Crossbow
-Great Weapon
-Heavy Armour
-Cold One
-Shield

Assassin
-Extra Hand Weapon
-Rune of Khaine
-Seal of Ghrond

Scorceress
-Level 2
-Power Stone
-Dispel Scroll

13 Warriors
-Full Command
-Xbows and Shields

12 Corsairs
-led by the Scorceress

5 Dark Riders
-Musician
-Herald
-Xbows

13 Witch Elves
-Full Command
-Banner of Murder

7 Harpies

5 Cold One Knights
-Dread Knight
-Standard

2 Reapers

1 Cauldron of Blood

2000 Points
68 Models
4 PD 4 DD
Last edited by Prince of arnheim on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Mythrider
Corsair

Post by Mythrider »

In addition to my comments in the Frontage of 7 thread I would say the following (not meant as criticism, I like the list, just as points to ponder):

1. Is the Lvl2 effective for you; I feel you could turn her into a pure Caddy and save 35 points.

2. Would she be better off with the unit of RXBs instead of the Corsairs, dropping a Warrior and adding a Corsair to make this happen would save a couple of points.

3. It must be said again, Assassin??? (I know personal preference) I would replace him with another Lvl2

If you opt for the change in my first point you could put a magic banner on one of the units or equip your Highborn with the Crimson Death.
Miles and miles of nether worlds I`ve roamed...

Build a man a fire and you will keep him warm for just one night; set a man on fire and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

I love the Level 2. With 5 PD she is the perfect Death MAgic User as you only really need 4 dice to get the Dark Hand of Death and a higher level spell off. So the Extra 20 points i'm spending on the Darkstart Cloak is just an insurance in case of PD stealage by the Sneaky Staff or that Annulin Crystal or whatever it is called the HE have. I also need that 5th powder dice for my Crystal of Midnight trick to get pulled off. It is also good to have the 2nd level in case your opponent miscasts on a 7(?) so you get to cast one of your good spells for free.

I like her in the Corsairs so her magic spells can get in range. I love it when she gets Drain Life and sucks the souls away from a few differnt units all in one turn.

If I did replace the Assassin, which i'm considering, it will be be with my BSB on Dark steed. He will go with the Corsairs. The Scorceress will linger around the Cauldron of Blood instead.

I like the normal Lance just fine. I dislike the Crimson Death as it takes away from my Armour Save.
Lord adrianus
Noble

Post by Lord adrianus »

You could also try to drop the assasin for a CoC or 2 if you drop something small
Starting with Orks!!! A green tide will come (well, I have 34 boyz now :D
Promises
Black Guard

Post by Promises »

First off, nice list! Second tho, I am wondering about a few things. How do you deal with say chariot-y armies, and magic heavy armies. The list seems very balanced but I reckon it'll be hard to endure stuff like that?
I hate sandcastles
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

I actually like to use Chariots againts my enemy. I will take pot shots at them with my Reapers so they get wounded a couple times. I will then lure them into a trap so that my Dark Riders can take them out in CC and Overkill in to the falnks of infantry units or behind the enemy lines.

Against magic heavy armies(I just faced a HE army with 13 PD) I make sure to sacrifice my Harpies to get at one of the mages so my magic defense items are doing their job against the other one. Afte a turn it's all a matter of chargin in with my Dark Riders and taking it out in CC. If I lose the CC and flee then I will atleast have broken up the enemy battle line and lured an enemy unit into range of my Witches or COK.

I likw the Assassin in this list. I likw having that little distraction that I get to deploy at the end so I can fill in gaps or weaknessess in my battle line.

I f I was to replace him it woudl be a BSB on Dark Steed in my Corsairs as I said before.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

The highborn can't have 2 talismans. Also where is your magic defence??? 3 DD and a scroll will not last long and your support will become the first target for any small arms missile fire.

In a tournament situation what magic items would you take??

cheers rob
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Hateshighelves
Beastmaster

Post by Hateshighelves »

What about leaving the spears on your warriors? Since they're frenzied from the Cauldron, you'd have 27 attacks with just that one regiment. A pincushion! :twisted:
Did I tell you that I hate high elves?
Kaihlik
Cold One Knight

Post by Kaihlik »

:| The cauldron does not give a spear unit frenzy, it only allows the spear unit to reroll to wound in the first round of combat. The Cauldron just prevents witch elves losing frenzy thats it.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Crystal of Midnight is a Enchanted Item. Heck I wouldn't make that mistake. I have 4 Dispel Dice by the way.

In a tournament situation I would take the magic defense items as my Highborn can usually hold his own in CC pretty well, no need for the Black Amulet but it is always nice to have, just not necessary though.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: Elite 13's,COB and Calvary-2k List that has been doing w

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Taking into account what you want to accomplish, the posts and your responses so far, and the general theory of your army-building, I still think there are some things you can do to optimize. Here we go:

Dark Elf Highborn
-Cold One
-Heavy Armour and Shield
-Sea Dragon Cloak
-Lance
-Seal of Ghrond and Crystal of Midnite
-OR-Black Amulet depending on the army I am facing.

Looks like this guy is a cheap Highborn here primarily for leadership reasons. I have no problem with that at all. But at only 10 points I would definitely spring for the Enchanted Shield to give him more protection.

13 Warriors
-Full Command
-Xbows and Shields

12 Corsairs
-led by the Scorceress

It makes much more sense to put the sorceress with the crossbows instead of the corsairs. Her magic missiles (you said you are using Death, which I totally approve of) have the same range as the crossbows, so the unit and the character are in harmony with regard to where they want to be on the battlefield. The corsairs, on the other hand, need to be closer that 24" to the enemy in order to do their job--putting the caster in a place she doesn't want to be.

13 Witch Elves
-Full Command

Don't see the need for a musician here.

2 Reapers

1 Cauldron of Blood

The cauldron doesn't help shooting, so to maximize the synergy of your choices, more troops would be better than RBTs. You have 1 more special slot -- I think a unit of Executioners would be great. Killing Blow gets really nasty when you can re-roll failed to-wound rolls. Which brings me to my final suggestion . . .

Assassin
-Extra Hand Weapon
-Rune of Khaine
-Manbane--goes on Witch Elves against some armies

This is normally the best set-up for an assassin, but since you have the Cauldron, Touch of Death is the way to go. With all those attacks, Killing Blow, and rerolls to wound, an assassin truly becomes a viable character-killer. Since you are fielding the Cauldron, make other choices that maximize its effects.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Updated.

Not gonna take the Crystal of Midnight. Gonna put the Highborn in the unit of Corsairs in SOME battles if I feel that my unit of COK will be ok on their own.

Gonna put the Scorceress near the COB for protection.

Assassin will stay with his setup for more attacks. Strength 5 will be good with 5 attacks against tough armies!

I don't really need the Enchanted Shield, as I have a Sea Dragon Cloak and a Black Amulet now...that should be good enough!

Ding ding ding, I have a winner....finally.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:Gonna put the Scorceress near the COB for protection.

Seriously, why not put her with the crossbows? Just being near a unit won't keep her from getting shot.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Because I have the old COB and it gives her better cover.

That and I want my xbows to not be too tempting for my opponents as they might contain my Assassin if he isn't scouting!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:Because I have the old COB and it gives her better cover.

Remember that the cauldron of blood is not a large target (not that that matters much since neither is the sorceress). So regardless of the physical size of the model, it is no better at providing cover than a unit of skirmishing infantry.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I agree with Dyvim. The sorceress can't join the cauldron, and if she is hiding behind it, or even around it, she can still be dropped through judicious use of scout or fast cav fire or by magic. Also if you hide her behind the cauldron she can't get line of sight to use her spells, thus negating he usefulness. The rxbs are a great hiding spot for her. She can't be targeted, she has the same range, and she can stay near the cauldron with the rxb to help protect it from being destroyed by roving enemy units, thus helping your army to achieve its goal.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

I will probably just keep her in the Corsairs where she is surrounded by supportive missle fire and dark riders support. It will be a sort of trick. It has worked so far so why change it? She can always leave the unit if there is a real bad threat lurking around.....Corsairs can usually flee safely though anyways plus my Assassin is there to protect the area she is in...I need to keep my HB in the Cold Ones for the LD10. His Black Amulet will allow some flank exposure that will trick some Fast Calvary units into thinking they have an easy trophy to grab....

Yeah this is all making sense to me now....thanks for the comments peeps....

Time to start a new army!! Finally after all these years...
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:keep my HB in the Cold Ones for the LD10. His Black Amulet will allow some flank exposure that will trick some Fast Calvary units into thinking they have an easy trophy to grab....
I do not understand your train of thought, I'm afraid... :?:
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

I put the HB on the flank of my COK unit like so...

KKKKKHB

So he can protect the flank with the Black Amulet if need be. I don't do this if I don't have to though.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Then, what FastCav would consider that unit an easy trophy? :lol:
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Any opponent that thinks it is gonna get an easy flank breaking charge on the Cold Ones will be surprised.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

No offense, but it'd have to be a pretty stupid opponent who thinks a HB on the flank of a unit of COKs is an easy target for fast cav...
I will probably just keep her in the Corsairs where she is surrounded by supportive missle fire and dark riders support.

The big disadvantage with this (apart from the obvious threat of her being killed by a lucky strike when the corsairs are in combat), is that she can't cast magic missiles while she is in combat. Since magic missiles are what she's there for, and combat is what the corsairs are there for, one is always going to be limiting the abilities of the other.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

I will be placing the Scorceress in the Corsairs depending on what spells I roll for her Death Magic. IF she gets missles then I will put the Assassin there or the Highborn.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

But WHY???

Although others have pointed out reasons why it's a bad idea to put your sorceress with the corsairs, you have yet to articulate a good reason.

Seriously, if you post an army list you should be open to suggestion--it really does seem like you have a tendency to reject the ideas of others outright.

Unless your spell roll with death magic is 2 & 6 -- in which you should downgrade one of the results to Dark Hand of Death anyway -- there is absolutely no reason why the sorceress should be in the unit of corsairs instead of the crossbowmen.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Bait?

I can flee with the Corsairs and leave enemy units exposed to DArk RIder flank charges and Reaper Single Shots!!

Plus the Scorceress doesn't HAVE to go with the Corsairs. Sometimes my Assassin will go in there, or my Highborn!

The beauty of this army is that I can swap my 3 Characters around.

Now back to my magic item setup...is it good? I am wondering if I should get rid of the MAnbane on the Assassin and put the Seal of Ghrond on him so myh Scorceress can have 1 Dispel Scroll. I have updated the list as I saw fit from my last gaming experience against HE.
Last edited by Prince of arnheim on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.