Live Earth 7-7-7 DAy- Is GW gonna help fight Gobal Warming.

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Live Earth 7-7-7 DAy- Is GW gonna help fight Gobal Warming.

Post by Prince of arnheim »

You know i've been thinking about what Games Workshop doing to encourage saving the environment.

I would imagine that they probably contribute alot of chemical waste.

Do you think it would be possible to make their products from recycled products?

How could they be safer.

I am just watching the concerts and thinking about my life and how we are all so wastefull, and it makes me feel bad that I play a game that probably uses Iraqi oil products or minerals from Africa in it's products.It is all part of the system I guess is what i'm saying.

This isn't an anti-GW bash. I just think it would be good if they maybe brought this very imporant issue of the world's future to light maybe in a white dwarf sometime.

This is gonna be my last post for a LONG TIME. I am gonna stop going to my computer first thing every morning now. Gonna do my part, gonna get out in the world to help spread the word.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Minerals from africa...somehow I doubt it.

In fact, I don't think we know where GW sources its oil from, and even they can't really control where the plastic/oil comes from since they'll be buying it from a distributor.

Before feeling guilty it might be best to actually find out where GW sources its materials from. It's all very well and good wanting them to do their part, but you're assuming a fair bit about GW.

This isn't an anti-GW bash. I just think it would be good if they maybe brought this very imporant issue of the world's future to light maybe in a white dwarf sometime.

In the dark future of the 41st millenium there is only fusion power?

WD is a gaming mag, about gaming. We can leave the serious stuff to periodicals and TV shows that are better focused on it.

Global warming doesn't mean we should strip the fun out of everything...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Belial
Modest Member

Re: Live Earth 7-7-7 DAy- Is GW gonna help fight Gobal Warmi

Post by Belial »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:This is gonna be my last post for a LONG TIME. I am gonna stop going to my computer first thing every morning now. Gonna do my part, gonna get out in the world to help spread the word.

Honestly. Everyone knows we are screwing mother nature. And it sure as hell aint right. But the world is at it is, excuse my cynicism. I'm not saying I don't think we should improve where we can improve, and that we shouldn't live as green as possible, but would you, for an example, stop playing warhammer alltogether, because rulebooks are made from paper(rainforrests), or figures are made in factories(co2)?

I think it's great that a bunch of stars do theirs to help the environment, but I'm sure they didn't mean that we should all go preach enviromentalism, and forsake our earthly goods. Live your life, think twice about the products you buy, and make a donation every now and then, that's what I say.
Shakra sharktooth
Warrior
Location: In a very high tower ready to throw a goblin over the edge

Post by Shakra sharktooth »

we could also make a demonstration were all are dressed as Wood Elves and Beastmen with a big banner theirs says SAVE ATHEL LOREN and FIND ANOTHER POWER SOURCE, DONT USE THE CHAOS PORTAL IT HARMS THE ENVIRONMENT :)
My Foc. Fam. is a snotling from the NG Fanatics sprue. I kind of like the idea of the entire power of Chaos being pumped through a snotling.

When I press the Smilie button it says "Hacking Attempt". What should I do?
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

I thnk I agree with Belial on this. OK sure, the environment is getting f***ed, but I am not going to give up warhammer or computer or any other aspect of my life because of it. Sure, buy more energy efficient appliances. Thats fine. What you have to consider however is that it is industry that uses the majority, not the household. Reminds me of the water restrictions imposed during the drought in NSW, Australia (ie. don't wash your car with a hose, only water your garden on certain days after 4pm etc) and encouraging people to save water, yet only 8% of water useage here is from the households, even of everybody saved 50%, which is nigh impossible, 4% is not much. If people want to get serious about it, then they have to crackdown on the industries, not the households.

And don't even get me started on carbon offsetting...
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Re: Live Earth 7-7-7 DAy- Is GW gonna help fight Gobal Warmi

Post by The_everchosen »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:This is gonna be my last post for a LONG TIME. I am gonna stop going to my computer first thing every morning now. Gonna do my part, gonna get out in the world to help spread the word.

A bit of an overreaction methinks. I also think you are being a tad unfair to GW I know at my local store (although I don't go that regularly) I have been told a couple of times to save my sprues until I go to Games day/ Warhammer World so that they can be recycled (I think there was also something in WD about it). I personally don't as my local council recycles plastics anyway, but the thought is there from GW.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Confused counselor
Corsair

Post by Confused counselor »

I would imagine that they probably contribute alot of chemical waste.

:lol:

Dude, GW is a "quality" producer, not a quantity producer. Their "industry", IIRC, is about the size of a decent sized classroom. Your average car contains far more metal and even more carbonbased stuff than the armies of 10 gamers combined. GW produces a small amount of plastic and metal products, along with a few books and the use some packaging. However, the quantities are so low that for the envirioment, the wastage is minimal. Casting is, AFAIK, not to wastefull (consider that all metal is heated to a considerable extent) or poluting and printing books happens all the time, and I don't think GW (or black library) does that themselves anyhow. In other words, GW is not really an industry of any quantity.

Asking you to hand in your plastics is pretty much all they have to do about the envirioment, besides from using waterbased paints) Big industries, producing large quantities (or large objects) are by far more wasteful, or companies that use large amounts of chemicals. GW is a relatively small branch and what they could spare counts for very little. In China, a new coal plant opens every week. Worry about that. ;)
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

GW use Styrene for their plastics. No "oil" in there at all.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Vallorn deathblade
Noble

Post by Vallorn deathblade »

Technically "global warming" might just by a myth as no scientist has been able to conclusively prove that WE are the cause. sure less polluting is a good thing but when people find out its for the wrong reason people will just stop all their doing.

oh and what about a banner that says "Naggaroth must stay cold. Stop polluting!"
Belial. wrote:Fighting Eldacar over fluff is like fighting Socrates over philosophy...

Alkkrision wrote:-Alkkrision: Druchii.net's own source of bad ideas :).
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Technically "global warming" might just by a myth

not really but some people still tell themselves that it is, mostly people like goerge w. bush for example to continue using oil in large amounts or some other big companies just to avoid the costs for better systems. but anyway, whats wrong with saving energy anyway???
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

There was a show on Danish television the other night, about scientists who had a thoery that it wasn't pollution at all, it was the sun that was acting up.

EDIT: And I just read that some guy from Arctic Monkeys was pointing out that the Live Earth shows used tremendous ammounts of energy.
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Yeah, supposidly, to counteract the effects of all the CO2 produced at live earth, you'd neede to plant over 100,000 trees.

--SD--
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

with science you can prove almost anything you want since statistics ar no reliable source at all!!!
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Lord of the End Times wrote:with science you can prove almost anything you want since statistics ar no reliable source at all!!!

Statistics are reliable, but they can only prove correlation, not causation. And through testing of multiple variables, we can get an idea of what the cause is. So through statistics we can show that there is Global Warming, but we can't show what has caused it.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I believe that it is not JUST pollution creating global warming. We are heating up from an ice age. Every few thousand years there is an ice age. There will probably be another in the next few hundred years. It balances everything out, cleans up all the mess, restarts fresh (although it does kill off a lot of things). I think the pollution does help the Earth heat up but it is not the sole problem.

GW is nothing compared to other major organisations. Look at China. The air is always foggy/hazy/polluted because of all the factories. They even have to shut all major companies down there 1 or 2 months before Beijing's Olympic Games next year so the athletetes will stay healthy. In other words, GW shouldn't be your problem.

Just my oppinion I dont wanna start arguements :D
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

GW is nothing compared to other major organisations. Look at China. The air is always foggy/hazy/polluted because of all the factories.

As a reference, you can actually see the haze from pollution when you're flying in to the Hong Kong airport. Like a giant fog cloud, in essence.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Statistics are reliable, but they can only prove correlation, not causation. And through testing of multiple variables, we can get an idea of what the cause is. So through statistics we can show that there is Global Warming, but we can't show what has caused it.

all i wanted to say is, that you also can use statistics to prove that global warming is a "natural" process. the question is, what we believe and where these statistics come from and i believe that we are the main cause of global warming.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

I'm going to drive my SUV all the harder and use air conditioning more to make up for PoA trying to "save the earth".

Lord of the End Times wrote:not really but some people still tell themselves that it is, mostly people like goerge w. bush for example to continue using oil in large amounts or some other big companies just to avoid the costs for better systems. but anyway, whats wrong with saving energy anyway???

Considering GW Bush's ranch is designed to be energy efficient and Al Gore's mansion is a CO2 slug, I think you need to find a new scape-goat. Besides, its electricity generation that is using the majority of the oil, and for that we only have our fear of Nuclear Power and ourselves to blame...
Last edited by Langmann on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I believe that people are one of the biggest creators of carbon-dioxide on the planet. We should all just stop breathing.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

This is steering into politics and discussing politics is forbidden for a good reason.

Gonna pre-emptively lock this. Move along. Move along.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.