Invocation of Nehek

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Furiouscado
Malekith's Personal Guard

Invocation of Nehek

Post by Furiouscado »

There's a little bit of debating in my club about IoN.

When using the Standard of Sundering, does the -2 to cast affect IoN?

Some think that although it is not on the Vampiric Lore spellchart, spells 1-6, that it is still part of the Vampiric Lore... As if it's a 0 level spell taken to the next level in that it's not a 7th spell that another can be swapped for, but rather a freebie spell from the Vampiric lore that doesn't restrict you number of spells like a 0-level spell. If that makes sense.

The counter argument is the technical point that it isn't spell 1-6, therefore, not part of the lore, and not affected by the standard.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Wait for the FAQ to come out, it has been debated to death on many a board. Basically there is no clear answer to it.
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

thanks Linda, I didn't see any threads about it before, but I guess I could have looked harder. Any professional opinion for now? Die off?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

You could make it -1 (half the effect) until it is solved by the FAQ. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

furiouscado wrote:thanks Linda, I didn't see any threads about it before, but I guess I could have looked harder. Any professional opinion for now? Die off?

Dice off yeah (I dont think we had any threads about it here but on warhammer.org.uk there has been tons of them.)
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

simple answer to this is a follows, If the Vampire was to take a lord from the rule book would he still have IoN, if the answer is yes then your -2 to the lord of vampires wont work, now if you only gain the IoN when you choose lore of vamp / necromacy the yes it would work if that makes sence.
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

Lac.Desariel wrote:simple answer to this is a follows, If the Vampire was to take a lord from the rule book would he still have IoN, if the answer is yes then your -2 to the lord of vampires wont work, now if you only gain the IoN when you choose lore of vamp / necromacy the yes it would work if that makes sence.

what? that doesn't make sense because every character other than Konrad automatically has spells from the lore of vampires and IoN. There is no character that has IoN and doesn't have any other spells from lore of vampires.. so your logic doesn't really make any sense.

Ok my logic is as follow:

Every spell is part of a lore right? even if it's not marked i guess. My understanding is that IoN is just a special spell that is part of the lore of Vampires that is different from 0 level spells because games workshop wanted Vampires to be able to have a minimum of 2 spells. As of right now, you can't even take that standard and say "Whatever lore IoN is, that's the one I want to target." It's a completely immune spell at the moment, and that's unfair. I hope/believe that it will be clarified that it is indeed part of the lore of vampires, but I can't make that official call on my own.

There could also be another point with the whole necromancers being able to choose spells of a certain type, 2 of which are on the lore of vampires. It just seems like they're all the same lore, just one's on a different page.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

furiouscado wrote:There could also be another point with the whole necromancers being able to choose spells of a certain type, 2 of which are on the lore of vampires. It just seems like they're all the same lore, just one's on a different page.

Necromancers get to chose any of the 3 'necromantic spells'. The lore of vampires is never mentioned in their description. Perhaps necromancy should be considered a lore unto itself?
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

@ sulla - right well if that is the case it would be a partially integrated lore with the lore of vampires.. making it even more confusing ruling wise. My point is that IoN has to be somewhere... it shouldn't a be a spell that is immune to an item that can target ANY lore of its choice.
Tjd
Corsair

Post by Tjd »

Has anyone else realized that there is going to be the exact same problem with out Power of Darkness spell? Being that we get it no matter what lore we choose? So does this mean that if we have 2 wizards, one with dark magic, and the other with... lets say lore of metal, then the Deamons player chooses metal, then the sorceress's power of darkness spell only with lore of metal suffer the -2? Man GW really did a good job with the magic of these last few books, really confusing.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

The same will go with our spell L0, Power of Darkness. They aren't spell that are in a Lore, they are an additional spell to the Caster's lore.

I would say it wouldn't work because if they take the power forbidden lore, they would use another lore but still have the Invocation of Nahek no matter what.