Champions with magic items

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Champions with magic items

Post by Dggrj »

It's not so often I need to ask for clarifications, though lately I seem to be slipping in my rules knowledge since I put it all on the shelf till our new book, now just gotta dust off my brain ;)

Can a champion with a shield (CoK) take a magic two-handed weapon and just not use his shield in CC, or since he's just a normal guy and the 2-handed conflicts with his forced setup is he restricted from using it? Actually for that matter, can they technically take any armor? The BRB doesn't have rules for this new trend, does it? I know the HE got this but I hadn't put my brain on it, and it kind of seems to me like they already have stuff, and maybe were intended only to take Enchanted Items and Talismans.

So, any rules (and page numbers :D) that make this clear, please?
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

Two-handed weapons and shields: Normal characters can have both (although they can only use one) so I see no reason why a champion could not.

Magic armour: page 121 of the BRB: "If a character wears magic armour, he cannot also wear ordinary armour, and needless to say, he can only wear one set of armour."
So, technically they can not take magic armour (apart from the magic sea dragon cloak!). With that said, I'd not mind my opponent giving their unit champion magic armour.
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

That's what I was thinking/afraid of, getwisteerd, but I'd also just woken up. Any RAW-minded folk on here care to jump in and agree/disagree?
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Black Guards do not have shields, the champion cannot take a magic shield.

Weapons - anything goes, Armours: as long as one can wear Light Armour, he can take any magic armour (even heavy) except magic shields unless he can also take a normal shield.

So even a magic helm, cloak, etc in the Magic armour section cannot be taken if you cannot wear a normal light armour or better.
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

SilverHeimdall wrote:Black Guards do not have shields, the champion cannot take a magic shield.
Right, that wasn't the question. It was if they could take a magic armor given that you can't remove/opt to not pay for their armor. CoK have a shield though, and I was wondering if a CoK could have the Crimson Death.

SilverHeimdall wrote:So even a magic helm, cloak, etc in the Magic armour section cannot be taken if you cannot wear a normal light armour or better.
Really? Hadn't actually thought about it since we never had a magic armor cloak before now and I don't play any helm-wear races. Good to know, though, gonna have to check my BRB when I get home just in case ;).

Thanks!
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Yes you can have a magical weapon (2 handed) and still have a shield (but if course you cant use the shield in close combat since you must use the weapon.
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:Yes you can have a magical weapon (2 handed) and still have a shield (but if course you cant use the shield in close combat since you must use the weapon.
So what do you think about magic armors on champions, RAW, Linda?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

dggrj: well if the champ has any armour (or option to buy one) then he can take magical ones, if he has a shield or option for shield then he can take the magical ones.
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

so a warrior unit Champion can take the armour of living death?

Surely not, Wouldn`t it have to say "May Choose magic items from Common or dark elves magic items lists" on their profile, or am i missing something here?
Somwhere out there is Inquisitor Horatio Caine investigating cults of slaanesh
Caine looks around seeing bits of cultists on the ground
Inq Caine: Well it looks like these cultists
*puts on glasses*
Inq Caine: Have gone to pieces
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

JRG wrote:so a warrior unit Champion can take the armour of living death?

Surely not, Wouldn`t it have to say "May Choose magic items from Common or dark elves magic items lists" on their profile, or am i missing something here?

I believe so. I would assume that all of the above would only apply if the unit champion already had the option to acquire magical items.
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

Melinia wrote:
JRG wrote:so a warrior unit Champion can take the armour of living death?

I believe so. I would assume that all of the above would only apply if the unit champion already had the option to acquire magical items.

yes it has to say so specifically. It's started becoming options for champions to take magic items in the last few army books. Mainly HE seen in the HE book and a little in VC.