Executioner setup

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kheirakh
Assassin

Executioner setup

Post by Kheirakh »

Hi!

Now that I'm converting the 5th edition black guard to executioners I thought that it would be time for tactical review and to find the best setup for them.

I'm planning to take: 17 executioners with full command = 232 pts

With them I'm going to field a death hag BSB with the banner of hag graef and touch of death and black lotus = 165 pts

To screen some baiting units I'll take 5 harpies = 55 pts

So that's 452 pts of death. The harpies will screen the execs and they will be a shield wall against some missile fire. Also if there should be a danger that some enemy baiters are going to lure the frenzied hag away, the harpies will handle with them.

Then if the enemy is foolish enough to charge the execs, they will recieve 6 S6 killing blow attacs that reroll to hit and ASF. There's also 5 S4 Killing blow attacks from the hag that will reroll all 1's when wounding. I think that's quite a killy combo! And if there's points left for a cauldron..

Is that any good? Would it be better to equip the hag with manbane and the rune of khaine, she would have 6 - 8 attacks that wound always on 3's..
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

um the death hag combo you mentioned is @ 200 pts not 165, hag-90, BSB-25, stand-35, item-50, quite expensive for what it does.

to cut the cost down, might wanna try 11 exe with draich-master @ 144.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I've got 24 5th edition blackguard converted, since 5th edition, into executioners. I like the models very much. I don;'t know how often I will be fielding them this time around.

The unit you have built will be effective, but it certainly should be with all the points you invested in it. One unit of harpies will not be sufficient to screen that hag for long. Since she is the chief weakness in the unit you will face so hard choices rapidly when she is forced to charge and you have to drag the unit along with her.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

Th combo is good, even if expencive. But you must build the list around this unit: all depends on other threats you add in your army. Probably a couple of coks units could be a great improvement and a flying character can close the circle.

If executioners stay on they own they will be easily avoided. If the enemy cannot use his fast units or has other threats closing him the ways to the flanks he'll be forced to accept the challenge and die. Watch out from enemy fire indeed!

Maybe you can take a unit of 13 (on 2 ranks) without musician and save some points.

With them I'm going to field a death hag BSB with the banner of hag graef and touch of death and black lotus = 165 pts

What about using the rune of Khaine and manbane? you're full of Kbs and this combo can help your executioners when dealing with big monsters or something that is immune to Kb. They can handle characters or knights by themselves.

Ok ok, I've changed a lot. Just throwing some ideas. Take from this wathever you need :D
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Master of Arneim wrote:What about using the rune of Khaine and manbane? you're full of Kbs and this combo can help your executioners when dealing with big monsters or something that is immune to Kb. They can handle characters or knights by themselves.

I think this is a potentially great option. As Master of Arnheim mentioned, the Executioners help deal with cavalry and have Killing Blow, so having the BSB geared for cutting up rank-and-file could be a useful thing.

Of course, Hatred helps ensure you'll be making a lot of rolls to-wound, making the BSB's Killing Blow more lethal and and reducingthe likelihood of whiffing all your attacks (a danger when dealing with any single-attack, high Strength killers like Executioners.)

Both options will have their strong uses, for sure.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Murmandamus
Noble

Post by Murmandamus »

I also converted 5ed bg models to executoniers, they look a way better than current exes with swords. I'll soon post pic ot them, yet unpainted.
Zeth wrote:sorc on a highborn is not a good unit option
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

The plan is to take 13 execs + the bsb hag in 2000 pts games and 17 execs + bsb hag in 2250 - 3000 pts games.

Oh, you're of course right about the 200 pts cost.. stupid me.

The rest of the list cosists of a maticore riding master or dreadlord. In 2250 - 3000 pts I'll be having a cauldron also nearby.

Then there will be 2 units of harpies and dark riders, some BG, maybe some witch elves, a hydra and bolters. A sorceress scroll caddy for magic defence and in bigger battles some more magic.

I just love the way the 5th edition BG look as executioners and they're easy to carry in boxes because there's no falling parts on them. That's why I want to use them! :)
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

In my 2000 point list, I'm running Execs this way. 15 w/FC and Banner of Murder, plus a Death Hag BSB and the ASF Banner. I'll probably run them 7 wide with the extra 2 hanging off the back. It gives quite a nice punch with -4 to armor and ASF.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I think the only way we are going to see executioners run now is if they have a hag BSB with ASF banner or if an assassin is deployed with the unit. Both are expensive, but will help the unit stay alive and capable of dishing out hurt. A few may run them in small units as a flanking force, but I see the first two setups as being most predominant.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Andrejko
Corsair

Post by Andrejko »

is that not 190 points?

I think the base cost of the battle standard has been missed here
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

I disagree with Executioners being used solely as big units. I think 6-7 Executioners in a unit, say one or two units like that, will provide allot of cheap punch, and can be used to bait, divert, draw attention.

Its something i recommend people to test. Im sure they will work well in conjunction with big blocky units, DR flank charges and supporting chariots etc.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Iskiab
Corsair

Post by Iskiab »

You can't give the Death Hag the ASF banner, it's too many points so it's not allowed.

I know it sucks, I've been trying to get around that limitation as well.

Your executioner unit also can't get the ASF banner.

Pretty much the only unit that can get it is the BG Unit, or a Master can get it but then he/she can't get any magic items. That's why in my lists I give the BSB to the CoB, and then give the BGs the ASF standard. It sucks, because if I could I'd rather have a unit of executioners with ASF and not take a unit of BG... but those are the rules. It's little things like that which make it hard to build a khainite list.

All the khaninite units have strict limitations no magic items, but you can get gifts of khaine.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

iskiab - what?

Death hag can take any magic banner, there is no points limit.
Iskiab
Corsair

Post by Iskiab »

Oups, nevermind. I had just woken up when I wrote that!

Still a little sleepy.
Champion_re
Warrior

Post by Champion_re »

A must when fielding this unit is a Cauldron of blood. The +1 attack buff is just nasty on execs with ASF. I regurarly play vs bretonnia and this unit (I use 15 exec's with full command) can take a charge from 6 grailknights and 9 realm knights and still win. if not first round they hold due to stubborn with BSB, and subsequent rounds they make mincemeat of the bretonnians.

Altough I learned this:
1) ALWAYS have a champion who can accept challenges from nasty characters. If your Death hag don't insta-kill the opponent she get's nuked and your ASF is gone.

2) the 5+ ward save is a lifesaver for your Hag. I've had many situations where she'd be a lifeless pulp if it wasn't for the Dance of Doom gift, keeping her alive and the unit ASF:ing. Keeping the Hag alive is much more important than having her do an extra wound.

IMO supported by a Cauldron this unit rocks. It can take on anything. With dance of Doom + ASF banner on the Death Hagand a champ this unit has never failed me so far. I can put it in front of any closecombat unit there is, and smash it to pieces. So good luck and have fun with it :)
Andrejko
Corsair

Post by Andrejko »

The Executioner and Hag ASF BSB is a great option. Im thinking about having this in my army as well. My only concern is that in a 2000point game, its a lot of points, and it leaves you a bit with a one plan wonder. Its also something that opposing generals are likely to catch on to very quickly.

If you enemy has any sense, he wont let you get into combat where they can do the most damage, and blast them with war machines and magic. In larger games i suppose its not so much of a problem.

Im playing with the idea of dropping the big unit of (17)Exes and BSB. Pehaps replacing them with 12 Exes and 12 Black guard.
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

I used 18 execs+Hag BSB ASF with Rune+Manbane, 7 druchii by line. I tore through 18 mercenaries pikemen! I had chance too... I can't remember exactly but I won by 12 to 10 at CR! I had only a few Execs left in the end, with the BSB, I ran over the pikemen and I ate the halfling cooking catapult :D

PS: It was Leopold's company, I killed Leopold in a duel with my Champion (killing blow). I had the war banner in my unit.
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Why not 7 by 2 Executioners with FC and an Assassin with Manbane, RoK and additional hand weapon.

Assassin goes first no matter what, should take out most of the first rank of the unit, then the Executioners get hit if they got charged, shouldn't take too many losses, then hit the enemy with S6 KB attacks.

This unit is a solid unit, even decent when charged. And without the Death Hag, the unit won't be affected by her frenzy.

Does anyone think this is viable? I am thinking about doing this as Exes look way better than Black Guard, but rules wise Black Guard are so much better.
Andrejko
Corsair

Post by Andrejko »

It viable...

Might aswell make it 3 * 6 though in my opinion