Beast List 2000 pts,

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lac.desariel
Executioner

Beast List 2000 pts,

Post by Lac.desariel »

Dreadlord, Black Dragon, Pendant of K, 2 x Null Talisman, Lance, Shield, SDC 540

Master, Manticore, 2 x Null Talisman, HA, Lance, Shield, SDC 324

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Dark Riders 85

7 x Harpies 77

14 x Black Guard F/C, Ring Hotec, Banner Hag Graef 277

5 x Cold one Knights, F/C 175

War Hydra 175

War Hydra 175

My killers in this list are the dragon and manticore, the 2 hydra's, black guard and the cold one knights. The dark riders will hunt war machines and bait.

My magic defense will be 2 dice and the ring, I have MR2 on both flyers to aid them as i suspect the dragon first then the manti will be target number 1 and 2

What do you think then guys? weaknesses and flaws or strenghts and likes

Thanks
Last edited by Lac.desariel on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

Well, I'd really like to see a couple of units of harpies in a list like this. Will the CoK unit and your two hydras follow the BG unit for magic protection? All in all a pretty nice list I think, Even though I like the pendant of khaeleth better than the AoES.
RasputinII wrote:FANTASTIC!

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH I AM USING CAPS - AND I HATE CAPS!
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

I'd replace your xbow warriors with DR! Add three musos to them and get the pendant for the dreadlord.
Now what I'm really missing is harpies, they are ace (discussed elsewhere) and by simply dropping the FC on the coks and 4 BG (2x7) you'll probably be able to get two units of 5....

EDIT: mar-win beat me....
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

Changed the list above, and thanks for the fast reply,

I would deploy with BG in the center and COK in front, I would even bait with them through the BG for a counter charge or BG to recieve the charge. DR will flank hydras will work close to the COK as to the flying beasts depending on what i see they will start in the bubble and move to wings or even as a pair frontal charge. harpies will work like DR or screen the COK from shooting

on a side note, the harpies are at 7 strong for 2 reasons, I would need to drop all the comand on my COK, Im not a lover of sending my CoK with out music and banner, the 2nd reason is I have only 7 harpies and 5 new CoK with banner and musician, so would need to buy new models, but that can be done.

is it a must have in this type of list to have 2 units of harpies
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Overall, looks pretty solid as updated.

You've got lots of flyers, but harpies excel at War machine hunting, and WM are going to be the major threat to your 4 monsters. So I think another unit would be helpful, if you can spare the points. And I will never, ever take COK without the Cold Blood Banner. Ever! Lose a couple harpies if you have to, but do it!

The unit that I could see kind of 'getting lost' in this list is the BG. The flyers will threaten flanks, the COK and Hydras from the front, and I'm just afraid those BG will get left behind. Might not, your idea of fleeing w/ the COK is good, but I've noticed that happening in my Dragon list and wanted to put it out there.
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

will the BG get left behind? they move 10" and cold ones 14" (baring stupidity) not that I ever push the full 14" first turn other wise I open up counter charge,

so 4" behind turn 2 CoK should charge again 14" (not likely but say 14") BG move 10 " they are 8" behind bulle will cover all still and be deep in enemy half. see the BG at insurance and a mop up unit maybe

what do you think?
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

Would it make more sence to drop the dragon and fly a 2nd manti? maybe even make him a master too? would save a lot of points for a 2nd unit of cold ones and 2 units of 5 harpies rather than the 7? or keep the dread lord on dragon as it attracts fire and thus keeps the manti alive
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Another thing I'd drop the Black Guard for two naked Knight units and give the RoH to the Dread Knight, thus you'll have another two hard hitting but expendable units, which also will be able to keep up with the rest of your force.
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

"Another thing I'd drop the Black Guard for two naked Knight units and give the RoH to the Dread Knight, thus you'll have another two hard hitting but expendable units, which also will be able to keep up with the rest of your force. 2

Dreadlord, Black Dragon, Pendant of K, 2 x Null Talisman, Lance, Shield, SDC 540

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Harpies 55

5 x Cold One Knights 135

5 x Cold one Knights 135

5 x Cold one Knights, F/C, Ring of Hotek 200

War Hydra 175

War Hydra 175

you mean more like that? Now to me thats looking really hard and its all beast themed
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

That looks like a list that will make your opponents shake in their boots. I like it!
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

Question i need to ask is will it win a tornement? also how do you deal with High elf Sword masters from this list?

this is the reason I thinking on taking BG

I think putting a ring on the champ of 5 CoK is a small unit to risk, or would it be better with 10 CoK with the ring and the banner of HG for strike first?
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

Question i need to ask is will it win a tornement? also how do you deal with High elf Sword masters from this list?

this is the reason I thinking on taking BG

I think putting a ring on the champ of 5 CoK is a small unit to risk, or would it be better with 10 CoK with the ring and the banner of HG for strike first?

how about this?

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Dark Riders 85

5 x Dark Riders 85

7 x Harpies 77

5 x Shades 80

10 x Cold one Knights, F/C, Ring of Hotek, Banner of Hra Graef, 370

War Hydra 175

War Hydra 175

Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I like the other list more with the 15 Cold One Knights. It has real potential to win a tournament. I'd suggest taking that list but a couple changes. Drop one unit of COKs and give the other full command and a 25 pt item of your choice. Add in another unit of harpies for 55 pts. Finally give all of your DR units Musicians. Musicians are cheap, help with baiting and fleeing, and break tied combats. Overall it looks like a solid list and even though I would prefer more magic defense this list may be one that I try out in the future. The key to winning a tournament with this list is going to be painting and converting a lot of your minis as well as good sportsmanship. This list should also win it's share of battles and then some if played correctly. Good Luck!
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

I like this latest incarnation, but instead of the banner of Hag Graef on your Knights, I think the Banner of Murder would be better used. Your Knights should not be charged. They should be charging. With this in mind, ASF isn't relevant there. If they stick in combat, their high initiative and armor will protect them. If you give them the Banner of Murder, they gain armor piercing which means on the charge, they wound with a -4 to armor and the cold ones wound with a -2 to armor. If they should get stuck in combat, both knights and cold ones are wounding with a -2 to armor. I feel this serves the unit better. Of course, you could scrap the magical banner altogether and include additional models elsewhere.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

painting and other points wont be a problem as I scored max in the heat, its down to the games, Im thinking of dropping a dragon ro the manti and playing sorcs, or maybe the seal of ghrond but feel the MR2 on the flyers could save them from beast cowers etc, I feel they will be targets.

if i play 2 sorc I still only pack 4-5 DD over 2-3 and the ring of Hotc. is that a great deal? I know i have 2 H elf players and 2 Vamps and i would need 4 sorc to counter the vamps, as to the H elfs they run 2 sorc probly and large block sword masters

is the crystal of midnight a good idea for this magic defence, 3 dice average at 9 so pick a lvl 2 and I can limmit the spells that way?