dagger/pearl of infinite bleakness combo

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

dagger/pearl of infinite bleakness combo

Post by Cougar_roger »

gonna run this one tomorrow night. If I kill too many in a turn to cause a panic, the automatically pass because they are ItP.

Has anyone used this combo yet?
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

it's cheaper to add more warriors and thus reducing the chance to cause a panic test
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Nice catch....I had not thought of this.

Are you using it on a level 2 or a level 4? With a level 2 casting all three spells each phase you could potentially scarifice a maximum of 18 models. Wow! That would be a lot of sacrifices.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

maybe with a level 4, but with a level 2 i don't think youll ever burn enough to cause a panic check, unless your sacrifice happy.

25 spearmen:

turn 1 - 3 spearmen sacrified (22 left)
turn 2 - 3 spearmen sac (18 left)
turn 3 - 3 spearmen sac (15 left)
turn 4 - 3 spearmen sac (12 left)
turn 5 - 3 spearmen sac (9 left) - panic test needed
turn 6 - 3 spearmen sac (6 left) - panic test needed

and thats providing you max sac each turn. and don't take casualties.

and like the guy said, for a dagger you could take 3-4 more spearmen.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

You guys are assuming nothing happens to the unit as a result of the enemy doing things to it...shooting, magic, etc... to whittle it away otherwise. But it may not be the best use of 25 pts but its a neat idea anyway especially with a level 4.
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

using a level 2.

with the list I'm running tomorrow, I can only get a 10 man unit for this, thus the need to use the item. If I add 5 more guys, then I still wouldn't be able to use that 25 points of magic somewhere else because I'm already sitting at 2248 points.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

25 pts to turn 60 points into 10 power dice? So you are looking at 85 pts for 10 power dice. You can slay 3 per turn max so three full phases of extra dice. Still seems like a bargain to me.
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

well since I thought of it do I get to name it? The Cougar Caster combo?? :)
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

with the list I'm running tomorrow, I can only get a 10 man unit for this, thus the need to use the item. If I add 5 more guys, then I still wouldn't be able to use that 25 points of magic somewhere else because I'm already sitting at 2248 points.

I think it would be better to have a bigger unit regardless, because if the ennemy gets first turn he/she could potentially wipe out your lvl2 and her unit with shooting/magic.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Malekith's psychologist
Beastmaster
Location: can't u feel my breath on the back of ur neck?maybe the cold steel on ur throat gives u a clue

Post by Malekith's psychologist »

I'm actually using it today, and the reason is that my 30 strong unit will be exposed to dwarven firepower, as they are the guard of my Lvl2 sorceress who's gonna try to chillwind his thunderers/organ gun.

Therefore the pearl is not there for the dagger, but for the casualties i'll probably take, also because that unit once is engaged in combat it will bring a decent Static CR.
DiscipleOfKhaine said:
Im not saying that makes them unworthy of a model, Im just saying...that Malekith is the greatest elven king in the history of the world and I will never concede otherwise.
Deep one
Warrior

Post by Deep one »

cougar_roger wrote:well since I thought of it do I get to name it? The Cougar Caster combo?? :)

*Cough* ;)

But that thought seemed natural to me as well. !smile!
Please note my Druchii.net post count is higher than the number of actual WFB battles I've fought so far, so my opinion on Tactics might not be the Ultima Ratio ...
Dreske
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dreske »

I've used that a couple of times now as well. It's pretty funny when people watching the game are cheering you to sac another elf, whether you need to or not.
Konrad von richtmark
Beastmaster

Post by Konrad von richtmark »

Sacking as much as possible is not a no-brainer. If the spell succeeded without, and you have no reason to believe a dispel will be attempted, why sack?
Unless you already figured out, I play Empire. And I like spearelves.

Read The collected tales of Khorandras the Fallen
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Konrad von Richtmark wrote:Sacking as much as possible is not a no-brainer. If the spell succeeded without, and you have no reason to believe a dispel will be attempted, why sack?

I don't think anyone is advocating that you kill your own elves just for the hell of it. Bystanders likes and dislikes aside. ;)
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

I still haven't played with the dagger, I'm afraid to become addicted and waste countless warriors (or worse)
Elfik
Assassin

Post by Elfik »

That's why you use 30 warriors no shields and the pearl. Shooting will not panic them, and you have enough warriors to spare to hold combat for a turn, even against fear-causers. Add an assassin and Warbanner and you might even win combat.
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

With 30 warriors, I would use shields.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

If you plan on using warriors for anything other than power dice, they need shields. If you expect them to fight at all they will need the hw + shield 4+ AS. There is no way I would spend 200+ pts on such a unit and not get the shields.
Elfik
Assassin

Post by Elfik »

It depends what you're up against though. If it's S5 or higher, the shields won't do much. If it's lower than S5, maybe using spears will be better anyway. If not, then you might right, but you can always try to avoid combat with those units, starting with deployment.
Scallat
Corsair

Post by Scallat »

I think you'll find the name for this unit is clearly "Emo Spearmen". They're too depressed to panic while the sorceress /wrists.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

If you are facing multiple S5 hits a AS reduced to 6+ is better than nothing and one saved wound may well swing the combat in your favor via combat resolution. If you are charged by T3 S5 opponents with not much armor then in that situation maybe the extra attack with the second rank is worthwhile. The overwhelming amount of the time I am either charging with my spearelves or in a situation where they need to maintian max SCR to hold and the extra AS is worth vastly more than a few more S3 attacks.