well done games workshop (7th edition book)

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

well done games workshop (7th edition book)

Post by Kinslayer »

this thread is not about the models that thread is here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0

Everyone should either have their new book, or we waiting on one they ordered by now (unless they are not a druchii player of course, and even most of them will have picked the book up to read because we are so awesome). I decided to open a second "well done games workshop" thread, highlighing what they have done well, only this time about the army book. Im talking about rules, fluff, pictures everything that goes into the book. Not the model range however, which has its own thread.

Congratulations to games workshop, they have given us the big overhaul we have needed for most of a decade. Now the fluff section of the book is bigger and better, with 3 timelines! and an amazing amount of information we previously did not know/had not been written. The story explains why we hate the high elves, and all other beings, so much - and thats the main thing i love about the fluff. The rules themselves are great, bringing us back in check with some of the other top armies out there and giving us the power we rightly deserve. I sure will be taking a hydra most games, along with many other great units.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

I love the new book, the only things I disslike is the lack of short "stories" such as "Dark Power" and "A slaves tale" wich could be read in our previous book.

Also, I don't like how the fluff sometimes looks from a non-druchii point of view. (regarding the Asur's victories among other things.)
It sounds like the fluff was written from a empire teacher's point of view at times.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

ah but minsc we still have access to those stories in our old book, and the army books recently havent included such stories across the board. Still one or two new ones could be nice, provided they were written very well and taken care over.
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

The Book Design and some Artworks are just plain awful the "old" 6th Ed. Book was a lot better imo.
Even the cover is crap, come on! Hellebron's Artwork WTF?

Good Rules - crap design
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Hellebron is supposed to be ugly? She lacks access to the youth from Morathis couldron of blood, as in her fluff, so i see the image quite fitting. She looks butt ugly, but able to kick ass anyway, which is as far as i am aware what is meant to be.

The 6th ed cover is one of the full page artworks in the new book anyway except its black and white, which i think looks quite good. I like the new cover, the red is quite striking background for the druchii in front to stand against. I like the imagery in the book too, and the way the fluff section is laid out.
Vash1313
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vash1313 »

I agree. The artwork in the beastiary is especially horrible. It looks like D&D art from the 80's. I want to know who approved the picture of the corsairs - they don't even look like corsairs.

Otherwise I love the book. Well done.
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Heartrender wrote:Hellebron is supposed to be ugly? She lacks access to the youth from Morathis couldron of blood, as in her fluff, so i see the image quite fitting. She looks butt ugly, but able to kick ass anyway, which is as far as i am aware what is meant to be.

I think you misread it. She attempted to avoid the Cauldron, but in the end, she began to decay, so she went back.
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Scw
Trainee Warrior

Post by Scw »

Actually Javert, I think he means that Helebron doesnt have access to MORATHI's couldron which is why she is ugly because the normal couldron cant sustain her.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

yeah SCW got what i meant, sorry i wasnt clearer. The rest of the artwork is fine to me, including the Hellebron peice. I admit the corsair peice could be better. Im especially keen on the bestiary imagery for the manticore, morathi, malus and the warriors. The rest is great too, but i love the morathi "looking over the shoulder, conjuring magic" pose.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Overall...I'm satisfied. The Artwork stayed with a simple theme of styles (as opposed to some other books), the fluff portion was a step up from 6th overall, and the rules themselves are a vast improvement. Most important to me at least, the didn't try to drastically change the army around...they tweak a few major elements of the fluff back to the older versions, but the army still feels and plays the same. As someone who has found new books dismantling his old armies, this was probably the biggest thing to me...
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Blueon462
Corsair

Post by Blueon462 »

I've only played 3 games so far, but all in all this seems like the best book GW has put it out in a long long time in terms of balance. It will take more testing and finding new armies but kudos to GW on this.
Kierath heartshard
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kierath heartshard »

I'm just glad the army was sorted out. That to me is the most important change, regardless of artwork.
"A blade should not be so blunt that it does no harm, nor so sharp that it kills without pain".
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Indeed i have to agree, the artwork is good, the fluff is good, the layout is good, the rest of the book is good. But our army is now better than good, its great. Better than that even, perhaps, we needed this overhaul a long time and finally have rules to justify our strength.
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

I love the fluff. I never knew about the Underworld Gods or the Helbanes, so it was interesting finding out for about the political and religious situation in Naggarond. I thought before that they just worshiped Khaine.

Geez, I'm writing like I'm being forced to give an answer to one of the dumb school approved questionaires. On which note, I don't thik they have to ask 15 year-olds whether chimney sweeping is still a widespread and prospering carreer oportunity...
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

My favourite bit of fluff is in the timeline about the town they raid, and it's such a horror that the town is completely obliterated and all record of it erased from maps/history. Druchii style ftw!

But am loving the new fluff, timelines and general goodness of the army book, although I thought it a little strange that the wargear was after the army book, but having them at the back of the book is handy for references, pity they didn't put the spells at the back as well.
Last edited by Joyfulcheese on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Oh, and I like the info on how Malekith has changed after returning from the Chaos wastes. It's a bit freaky...

Could he be... POSSESSED?!?

Or just a bit more concentrated.
Alshar Calaelen

Equipment:
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

My verdict on the new book is very similar to the new High Elf book. The rules got better, but there are things I would have done differently. The layout is flawless, and well-made. Sadly, a lot of errors and ambiguity about rules and stats.

I'd give it a 7/10 for rules & stats
10/10 for layout & design

~ Nag
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

he was changed mentally by the terrors he bore witness to, of which he has spoken to noone not even Morathi meaning what he saw must truly have chilled him to the bone. Hes not possessed.
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

I know. But it would make an interesting twist.
Alshar Calaelen

Equipment:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Yeah and it would also destroy our King?
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I just got the new book yesterday. It looks really solid list-wise, balanced and effective, with almost all of the choices being viable; that is absolutely huge.

Layout is indeed great.

I'm overall very pleased, it was definitely worth the money.
- Human
Emperorpenguin
Cold One Knight

Post by Emperorpenguin »

Heartrender wrote:Hellebron is supposed to be ugly? She lacks access to the youth from Morathis couldron of blood, as in her fluff, so i see the image quite fitting. She looks butt ugly, but able to kick ass anyway, which is as far as i am aware what is meant to be..

Hellebron is only able to stay youthful for brief periods of time. The cauldron's effects wear off too quickly.
She goes into battle as a kick ass young woman not some ninja granny! ;)
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

Not mad on some of the new art but the one thing that realy bothers me was they didnt keep the intro it had. That was great introduction.
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance