2000pts Mongoblins!

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

2000pts Mongoblins!

Post by Layne »

I got an O&G book, mana-mana.

So here's a first run at a Mongoblin army list, at 2000pts. Oops, most of the thing I want to include are surprisingly expensive when tallied up and all... I didn't want to clitter up (yes, clitter, don't argue) my P&M thread, it's already got enough fluff-debate, something like four entire pages... any further than I already have

Anyways, feel free to give any opinions on this list you may have.

When I first started to build, I realised I wasn't going to be able to put in anything like the amount of units I had originally envisaged. So I've had to trim things down a little. I also realised that a number of cool units were just not going to make it in at all, too, as there really wasn't a useful place for them, or else their place was needed by a more useful unit. So goodbye, Nokut, the original Mongoblins, dang it.

Here goes :

Heroes

Goitra Khan

Black Orc Big Boss, Boar, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Battle
125pts.

Sword of Might, if I could afford it.

Lu Chu

Orc Great Shaman, 2 scrolls, Ironback Boar
265pts.

- Surprise, jackass!

Mengudei Khan

Goblin Big Boss, Wolf, Sneaky Skewerer, Bigged's Kickin Boots, Light Armour
Battle Standard
114pts
Joins Mangudai with Standard.

Core

Hoyen-irgen

5 wolfriders, muso
66pts

5 Wolfriders, muso
66pts

Harassment

Hoyen-irgen khorche

5 Wolfriders, bows, muso
72pts

5 Wolfriders, bows, muso
72pts

Harassment : mainly to die instead of the ones without bows. The bows say "shoot us first'.

Fire-raisers Where's Lonely Shade with that awesome title he promised?

5 Spider Riders, muso
71pts

More! harassment. These guys might even make it thru to the Warmachines.

Bagatur

25 Orc Boys, shields, full command
180pts.

We all need a solid block sometimes. Gork knows, they may even provide Lu Chu with some power dice.

Special

Keshik

15 Boarboys, Boss
347pts

Bodygaurd for Goitra Khan and his adviser Lu Chu.

Artillery train

2 Spear Chukkas
120pts

Rare

Zhang Liao's Wolf Gun

1 Galloper gun and Bronzino
165pts

1999pts altogether.

So there you go. If there's anything obviously wrong with this list, I sure would like to know. I suppose some things that come to mind are :

A rather fragile BSB
A rather thin magic defense
A rather weak magic offense

Could anyone add to that?

All comments appreciated -

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

When I play O&G I always like having more than one mob. You may want to consider bringing the Boar Riders down to 10 models (maybe even 8). Then buy another mob. I would never feel comfortable with a 757 point unit (kind of a all your eggs in one basket) but if that's the way you want to play it than by all means go for it.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I felt I wanted another mob to make the most of Waaaaagh energy. I wasn't going to try to squeeze in twenty Boarboys! But making the Boarboys a bit smaller, likesay eight, would save enough for a unit of gobs and some more Wolfriders, or another block of Bagatur, which would all be good things. Another unit of Mangudai would really please me.

I have no notion of whether or not a bodygaurd of that size would be big enough. I'm trying to go for a multiplicity of threats sort of army - but perhaps all those Wolfriders would just be ignored. So I've not played as O&G before - and the battles I've seen or participated in have never featured Wolfriders. Our local greenskins like Orcs and Fanatics.

That's more or less where I'm at.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Re: 2000pts Mongoblins!

Post by Gnosis »

Arnold Layne wrote:Black Orc Big Boss, Boar, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Battle
125pts.

Sword of Might, if I could afford it.

Lose the magic weapons, you're taking a Black Orc so you get a choice of mundane weapons with his special rule. An amulet of protectyness would be a fine choice, or perhaps the killing blow enchanted item?

Orc Great Shaman, 2 scrolls, Ironback Boar
265pts.

I'd opt for a regular boar and take the force weapon-ish shaman-only magic weapon. Even more pain to your opponent, and easier to represent on the model.

Goblin Big Boss, Wolf, Sneaky Skewerer, Bigged's Kickin Boots, Light Armour
Battle Standard
114pts
Joins Mangudai with Standard.

No comment, though where are these Mangudai of which you speak?

5 wolfriders, muso
66pts

5 Wolfriders, muso
66pts

5 Wolfriders, bows, muso
72pts

5 Wolfriders, bows, muso
72pts

5 Spider Riders, muso
71pts

No comment, very good.

25 Orc Boys, shields, full command
180pts.

Good, but only one unit will be a bit useless. Try squeezing in another block (NG or something) to support them a bit.

15 Boarboys, Boss
347pts

What Nightblade said: too big. You're wasting a lot of points on ablative ranks. I'd split them into two units of five or six, one for each of your characters (and with a Boss in each).

2 Spear Chukkas
120pts

A staple in any army, not in the least because they cost 35 points each. So, that's 70, not 120 points ;)

1 Galloper gun and Bronzino
165pts

Never played with or against these guys, so can't comment on it. But it seems to me you'd want some more Galloper Gun teams.

All in all, it's okay, but can do with some more stuff. Something that would both be characterful and useful, are Arrer Boyz to protect your artillery, and Squig Herds modelled as wolves with handlers.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Thanks for comments.

Mangudai

10 Wolfriders, spear, shield, bow, standard, muso.
168pts

10 Wolfriders, spear, shield, bow, boss, muso.
168pts.

If I ditch Sword of Might, and 7 Boarboys, and correct the price of Spear Chukkas, I can fit in 25 Gobs with shields, and 20 Night gobs, or 12 arrer boys, and 20 night gobs with 3 fanatics. So far, I haven't a great deal of tinker-time this morning.
Last edited by Layne on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

looks good, like the mongol theme, though what is a galloper gun and bronzino?, cause it ain't in my army book.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Dogs of War. A small cannon drawn by a horse, two crew, M8 so you can r-u-n-n-o-f-t. Bronzino is a man on a horse with heavy armour and two attacks.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

aah, that makes perfect sense. love it
basically i love your army and can't wait to see it finished.
just pm when you've got it and send me a photo if you can.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Rangeltoft
Noble

Post by Rangeltoft »

A nice list you got there Arnold (and some really nice modeling too).

As a fellow O&G player (well, goblins to be exact), there are a few things that I feel that you can change to make the list slightly more effecient (imo).

here are the changes i propose:

- Gallopers = 165p
- 7 Boar Boyz = 154p
- 5 Orc Boyz = 30p
- Orc Great Shamman = 265p

If you remove these, you got a few points to play around with, might I suggest that you add in these models instead:

+ Goblin Great Shaman:
Wolf
Level 4
Dispel Scroll*2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin'
= 308p

+ Orc Shaman:
Level 2
Ironback Boar,waaagh! paint
= 145p

+ 5 Wolf/spider Riders, Spears, Bows, Musician = 76p
+ DoW Cannon = 85p

Or if you feel slightly more daring:

Savage Orc Great Shaman:
level 4
Boar,2*Dispel Scroll,Skull-wand,Waagh! paint
= 344p

Savage Orc Big Boss:
Light Armour,Enchanted Shield,Ironback Boar
= 127p

Goblin Shaman:
Level 2
Wolf,Staff of Sneaky Stealin'
= 152p

8 Savage Orc Boar Boyz + Boss,spears,Shields = 217p

Remove the same as before and change the Boar boyz for Savage Orc boar Boyz and the Black Orc Big Boss for a Savage Orc Big Boss. This would let you keep you Orc Great Shaman and would leave you around 60p to use.

Now, with these changes you get both a better magic offence and defence, two of your main worries. And it still leaves about 50p to play around with, if I got all the point costs right (for instance, your wolf riders with bows are 71, not 72p)

As for losing the gallopers, while they might be good for your theme, I don't think that the abilty to move around is worth 80p over a regular DoW cannon.

I hope I have been to some help.

/Cheers Rangeltoft
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Thanks Rangeltoft. The ability to runnoft with your cannon is not worth 80pts, quite so. Also, it's a weaker cannon, and the inclusion of a free character is no great bonus either, as Bronzino ain't so hard. It's there for fun.

I did want to include a Gob or Night Gob Shaman with the Sneaky Stealin', I hate that item and I'd love to transfer that hate onto some other unfortunate fellow sometime. There is a plan for that, it involves some Cathayan Night Gobs and with a cameo by Zhou Yu, starring as a Goblin or NG Shaman. With three DW-styled fanatics. Haven't got around to drawing up that list yet.

I'm not daring enough for a frenzied Shaman either (big sook is me). Plus that doesn't really fit the story, which - you no doubt notice - is what this is all about.

I want to add in more Spider Riders, but the modelling rather scares me off. They're all going to be on converted mounts, that is, converted from wolves, but not wolves. Something else that moves through difficult terrain with ease, and that can climb a bit.

Ao yes, you've helped, thank you very much. I'll get back to this a little later, got Dark Elves to think about again for a bit.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.