Malus vs Skulltaker showdown

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Malus vs Skulltaker showdown

Post by Poisonblade »

I was playing a new (new to demons, not fantasy) demon player in a 1500 point game. I knew he was taking skulltaker on a jugg with 2 bloodcrushers because he had been talking about skulltaker for about a week.

I decided I would have some fun and take Malus in my 1500 game as my general. I always liked the background to him, and he hits pretty hard for a hero. I also decided to take the standard of hag grief on his unit of Cold One Knights because that's where Malus is from and it would help a lot if I got charged by flesh hounds or Skulltaker.

Anyway, this isn't a full battle report, there was just one awesome moment...

The bloodcrushers and CoKs, each lead by their special characters were squared off. I change Malus into demon form and fail the charge by a hair. Next turn I get charged.

Skulltaker issues a challenge and is suprised I accepted with Malus (I wanted hatred so I could kill him before he kills me!) and not my unit champ. The demon player smirks.. nothing can beat skulltaker in a challenge... Malus hits with 2, reroll to hatred hits with another. 3 hits, wounding on 3s. Due to rerolls all 3 wounded Skulltaker. My opponent is visibly nervous. He then makes 2 out of 3 5+ ward saves. Damn. Then spite comes through like a champ and bites skulltakers head off.

It was awesome. We ended up tying combat that round (bloodcrushers hurt), but Malus owned them the next round and then steamrolled his flanks in route to a solid victory.

Just the mental image of Skulltaker confidently squaring off against a puny looking elf, then watching the elf turn into a demon, and then watching the demon kill him was great.
Hate is my weapon.
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

that deserves a fluff piece written about it. I'll store this away for tonight if you don't mind (goes off to read about skulltaker for fluff purposes).
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

awesome! did you use the demon tzarkan rule or no?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The best mental image with Skulltaker I had was him falling to a rank-and-file DE warrior blessed by Khaine with KB ;) from second rank to boot!

"I am the mighty champion of Khorne! Skulls for the Skull Thrrrrr...*gurgle*"
"yeah, your skull will do nicely for a cup"
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Shadow dark
Noble

Post by Shadow dark »

Good god.... Am i the only one who just wants to use Spite? Save the points for the Elf-Daemon riding him and just field the Cold One. I don't care about Malus, but Spite is special...
Hi, i'm Shadow Dark. I spend my time teaching dragons the difference between their food and the slaves that bring it in
Corwin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Corwin »

ampao wrote:awesome! did you use the demon tzarkan rule or no?

Looks like it:

Poisonblade wrote:I change Malus into demon form
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Corwin wrote:
ampao wrote:awesome! did you use the demon tzarkan rule or no?

Looks like it:

Poisonblade wrote:I change Malus into demon form

Youre right! :shock: :shock: Im wondering why I didnt see that the first time!

I'm bliind!
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Dalamar wrote:"I am the mighty champion of Khorne! Skulls for the Skull Thrrrrr...*gurgle*"
"yeah, your skull will do nicely for a cup"

Then the guy next to him replies:

"A cup? You could make a fine wine jar out of that skull..."
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Okay People. Please stay within topic and bear in mind Forum Rules.

One more border crossing post as above and there will be violence.
[Anderson Edit] No violence please... instead there will consequences that'll make you feel as if you went all the way to Mars and back... without a shuttle.

Iyagd, Druchii Discussion moderator.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

rebmonk wrote:that deserves a fluff piece written about it. I'll store this away for tonight if you don't mind (goes off to read about skulltaker for fluff purposes).

Yeah that would be awesome.

It was such a fun battle too, reminded me of when I first started playing and our armies would consist of a special character and a few small units. The demon player had fun with it too, he took it well.

I thought for sure Malus was going to get his head chopped off when Skulltaker made 2 ward saves, but when he failed his armor save against Spite (I think it was a 2+) I knew Khaine was smiling on me.
Hate is my weapon.
Zulu
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Zulu »

Skulltaker has a 3+ scaly skin save.

Your opponent charged, so shouldn't he be hitting first? Not sure but i think challenge doesn't affect attacking order.
Dark elves: 2M 1D
Daemons: Two masacres by making my opponent give up...
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Your opponent charged, so shouldn't he be hitting first? Not sure but i think challenge doesn't affect attacking order.

No, the challenge does not... but this does:

I also decided to take the standard of hag grief on his unit of Cold One Knights because that's where Malus is from and it would help a lot if I got charged by flesh hounds or Skulltaker.

Of course the real name is "Standard or Hag Graef", but we all know what was meant ;)

Oh, and congrats on your victory over the Skulltaker mate :D ... its exactly those moments which make the game worth it.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

My strategy with the Skulltaker was to shoot the heck out of him with magic and RBT's. Got him down to 1 wound and then watched him erradicate a unit of 15 corsairs :( I have some terrible run of luck with dice roll.

My proudest moment against the ST was in 40k when a unit of 18 termagants swarmed him and took him down in one turn (synapse ftw) :D Let's just say my opponent was less than impressed lol.
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Utharn N'Gal - Disciple of Khaine

Stats: WS - 4 S - 3 I - 5 T - 2 D - 4

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak