Cauldron of Blood is lovely.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Cauldron of Blood is lovely.

Post by Silverheimdall »

So I've been using em in 1000~1300 pts games, as I haven't finished assembling my 2000 pts yet O:

Results so far is .. I haven't lost a game...!

Combined with Frenzied Corsairs, the Killing Blow ability makes them win combats against armoured troops and .. today I popped the head off a Wight King's full 3W, he killed my Champion but lost combat and the round after, I send a single corsair against the wight king.. 1 hit.. 1 KB (:

Also on my Shades with Great Weapons + Assassin with 4+D3 attacks, I add an attack to all of those and end up with 10 WS5 Hatred S5 Attacks + up to 8 attacks on my assassin.

The potential of the Cauldron is just awesome.
The 5+ Ward is handy but the 2 rounds I've used it I didn't even need it.

I also give my Cauldron the BSB option, since I keep it within 12" of my battleline at all times.

One thing that's hard to remember is to use the Cauldron's Ability at the Start of Turn, I've confused it with the Anvil the first time I played and used it in shooting phase O: heh, having to use it (and not forget it) right at the start of turn (after stupid and terror I know) means the enemy will have its reaction should I charge him with a unit I just gave an ability to.
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Could you post a list? I used the cauldron extensively in 6th edition and it was great for me but I can't seem to create a good list now. And glad to hear that it works pretty well, gives me some hope for the future.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Hm, at 1300 pts yesterday I wiped the floor with a VC (though he had some badluck such as 3 wraiths, 9 attacks, 5 hits, wounds on 2s... 3 out of 5 were 1s.. O:

Anyway my list was

Sorceress - Level 2, Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll - General
Death Hag - BSB, Cauldron of Blood
Assassin - add hw, rune of khaine and manbane

10 rxb with shields and mus
5 dark riders with rxb and mus
12 corsairs with full command & sea serpent standard
6 harpies
5 shades with great weapons

my 2000 pts list is in the armylist section.

I'm really enjoying the buffs the cauldron gives even if I don't take any Khainite Units apart from an assassin and the death hag herself.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well I have been wanting to make a cauldron list, and now that I know how it plays out in the real game I shall. The couldron just sounds nasty now. Thanks for the update and good luck.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Frosty
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frosty »

Im not 100% convinced by the Cauldron

It looks damn cool & I'm spending my time to convert a mobile varient
BUT
it costs a minium of 200pts + a character slot to field...

I haved used it in a couple of 3000pt games where I didn't really feel it made much of an impact (well not a 200pt character impact anyway)

I will try it in a 2000pt game but I am sceptical as it will take 10% of my pts & 1/4 of my character slots.

I think its a fun themed choice by I doubt I would take it to a tourney.
(I will continue to use it against my friends... I may yet learn to use it better)
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Don't lose sleep over it, frosty. Now that everything else has felt the sensation of the Cheapening, 90% of a Dark Elf army can include a lot of very good troops.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

frosty wrote:Im not 100% convinced by the Cauldron

It looks damn cool & I'm spending my time to convert a mobile varient
BUT
it costs a minium of 200pts + a character slot to field...

Imagine if you could buy a standard bearer who could enhance one unit within 24" per turn with either killing blow, a ward save or an extra attack, plus made all khainite units within 12" stubborn, plus gained a 4+ ward save and 6 extra ws4 poisoned attacks yet never needed to risk herself in the frontline... all for 225 pts.

It's a hell of a bargain assuming your army has a few hard hitting units to benefit from the extra attack or some multi attack units to benefit from the killing blow. It only gets better if you add khainites to your list.

Unless you're going with a horde army, the cauldron is almost always of some benefit to you.
Schlorgadorb
Warrior

Post by Schlorgadorb »

It looks really nice, soon as I can I'm gonna convert one using an Avatar of Khaine from the Eldar line, I'll have more tips then.

As for now, the character slot it fills is a bit of a problem, but as with any fine tuned magic deck, you shouldn't be using anything you don't need to win. Which means at 2000 points, a 200 point cauldron should be part of your method to victory, rather than just a slap on because it doesn't make an impact. Thats what you do when you don't have the proper models and you have to be wysiwyg.
My record for New Dark Elves: (15/0/10)
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

It looks really nice, soon as I can I'm gonna convert one using an Avatar of Khaine from the Eldar line, I'll have more tips then.

I am converting too ;)

I will try this sunday the BSB Cauldron, but do you think I should equip the Hag? or spare some points for the rest of the army? I though about Rune+Killing Blow+Black Lotus (Killing and Lotus are usefull together)
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Also, if going heavy on khainites, keep the Ring of Hotek around and keep everything within the 12" of the Cauldron plus...

Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood, 50 pts of Gifts and.... Banner of Nagarythe? (:

At 12" you're not only stubborn and reroll break tests but all your units get +1 Combat Resolution bonus.

350 pts without Gifts, 400 pts with 50 pts of Gifts!
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

Rune+Killing Blow+Black Lotus

Let me correct myself: I forgot Hags are equipable with 50pts of Gifts, not 75 ;) so the equipment I was describing was just Lotus+Killing Blow
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Death Hag starts with 5 attacks (3+Frenzy+2 weapons) so Rune of Khaine is nice to get up to 8 attacks.

Not sure if you'D need killing blow with something that cannot charge.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

The Cauldron is what allowed my unit of blackguard in one game to kill off 4 juggernauts of khorne + Herald with the Stubborn banner, 13 Bloodletters and several plaguebearers alas they fled and were cut down after that).

Read the battle report HERE

I like their versatility in terms of effects - the 6th ed cauldron was too situational: combat only. This new one allows you lots of decent benefits - as said above: stubborn to khainite units (like executioners) being one of these.

Also, modelling potential is great - means people are making all sorts of wicked conversions such as Frostys and SilverHeimdall's - both of which are VERY wicked looking! Can't wait to start mine now - will post pics once its up and going...

- Beanz
Frosty
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frosty »

OK... may game last night went a long way to convice me the CoB is worth it!

In turn 2 I charged my opponents unit of 20 Ghouls containing his caster vampire lord with my Black Guard.

In Turn 2 I gave my BG the killing blow ability and allocated all available attacks on the Vamp... Result 2 killing blow wounds on the Vamp = Massacre for the Druchii

It actually made for a very anticlimatic game (winning so early) but I am starting to see the benefits, I also used the CoB to

Give + 1 attack to my 6 wide Witch Elves in Turn 3 who proceeded to slice thier way though a another unit of 20 Ghouls in 1 round of combat!

I didn't need it in the end but also making the Hag a BsB on the Cauldron means the Black Guard even better as you can re-roll that lovely subborn.

I'm starting to see the light :)
Cheers guys, I will continue to use the CoB & now need to convert a decent Hag BsB to go with my CoB conversion.
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=56907
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Hmm. Did you remember that only those in base to base contact with the vamp can allocate to him?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

he said all available so i hope he does

Back on topic i was confused in how to make the COB effect actualy work. You have to give the boost before charges. Meaning your opponent can avoid that Fury/Strength unit by simply fleeing, and suddenly COB wasted a turn. Other way is to cast onto a unit already in combat. Where unless BG I wouldnt expect a unit to survive to their 3rd round. Or if charged by the opponent dont expect them to last much longer. Even if they didnt survive, we realy shouldnt be playing the COB defencivly...
...Well thats the end of my post
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Gibious wrote:he said all available so i hope he does
I know Frosty - he is an experienced player - yes he would've remembered :P

Congrats Frosty on your victory - like I said before: for me the cauldron is one sick little puppy: I know you're past arguments about it, but the fact you can use it as a 'flexiable' Hydra Banner on any unit in 24" alone makes it worth its points!

I'm loving the conversion too btw! I know some people criticised the small base but for me its looking great! I think with a few well placed details and a neat lick've paint it'll be an exceptional looking model!

edit: Have you thought about re-positioning the lead 'flaggelents' to be a few mm's further forward so that the rear wheels arent almost falling off the base and the model is evenly distributed on its base...?

- Beanz
Botrul
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Botrul »

sulla wrote:Imagine if you could buy a standard bearer who could enhance one unit within 24" per turn with either killing blow, a ward save or an extra attack, plus made all khainite units within 12" stubborn, plus gained a 4+ ward save and 6 extra ws4 poisoned attacks yet never needed to risk herself in the frontline... all for 225 pts.

It's a hell of a bargain assuming your army has a few hard hitting units to benefit from the extra attack or some multi attack units to benefit from the killing blow. It only gets better if you add khainites to your list.

Unless you're going with a horde army, the cauldron is almost always of some benefit to you.

I have to agree that the CoB is worth it. I have an old school one (chariot style) that I just broke out to add to my army.

But it is even better than sulla indicates. Don't forget the fact that hits are ignored 4 times out of 6 when the hits are distributed. So it is really a BSB with a 3+ followed by a 4+ ward save along with all the additional items listed. Very survivable and very strong.

Especially if you are using Khanite units.

Plus it looks flash.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Randomize 1-4 on Cauldron and ignore those hits.
5-6 Goes on crew, further randomiez 1-4 on Hags, 5-6 on Death Hag.

Quite a nice protection.
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

SilverHeimdall wrote:Randomize 1-4 on Cauldron and ignore those hits.
5-6 Goes on crew, further randomiez 1-4 on Hags, 5-6 on Death Hag.

Quite a nice protection.

Not fergetting ward save and of course Null if it was a magic attack
...Well thats the end of my post