The Kheitai Cavaliers 2250 (Cold Ones Knights)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Furgil
Warrior

The Kheitai Cavaliers 2250 (Cold Ones Knights)

Post by Furgil »

For my next army list I think I'll do a Knightly DE force; something that'll make Bretonnians soil their armor.

The basic concept here is a pair of Hammer/Anvil CoK units that should easily crush all opposition. CoK aren't a typical unit to fill the role of an anvil unit, however these guys are amazingly powerful and extremely resilient with my build style.

We begin with a Death Star unit of 17 Cold Ones Knights using Banner of Hag Graef for ASF. Joined to this unit are all 4 characters who have the combined abilities of 3x Null Talismans (MR3), Ring of Hotek (Miscast Generator), Ring of Darkness (1/2 BS to shoot unit), Banner of Nagarythe (Unbreakable), & the Unkillable Lord with Killing blow.

Inthe 7x3 formation there will be 21 models and a static CR of 6 before their 24 attacks (to the front).

The second Knight unit willbe simply 14 Knights with War Banner and MR(1). This unit will be in a 7x2 formation and when inrange of the BSB/Ring of Hotek it will have significant magic defense as well as a static CR of 4 & 15 attacks (to the front).

The core is made up of small units of 5 Dark Riders with Musician and Champion; capable of providing a strong flank charge. With 11 re-rollable attacks and negating flanks, they canbe used as support for the Knights or can kill light enemy units on their own.

Stupidity is not a huge problem with this army since they are very resilient with armor and good static CR or simply unbreakable! Not getting the charge is not a problem, especially the primary unit using ASF to strike down most enemies before they can even swing.

Fear is my friend here, breaking an enemy block is quite easy even if they are Stubborn. And if I must fight something that is immune to Fear and Stubborn, then I've got my massive number of attacks to simply kill every enemy model!

I also added 2xRepeater Hand Bows to the characters for a small amount of ranged killing potential. When faced by a charging enemy unit I can unleash 16 bow shots hitting on 3+. I can also use them if Mages step outside their units or light cavalry are harrassing my flanks (assuming there aren't better units available to charge at the moment). Mostly they are an answer to the question of "what do I do when I can't charge?"

Code: Select all

The Kheitai Cavaliers 2250 (COK)  -   Dark Elves Army

1 Highborn (Dreadlord) @ 274 Pts
     General; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; 2xRHBow
     Armour of Eternal Servitude (HA, Regen)
     Pendant of Khaeleth (REverse Ward)
     Deathpiercer (Lance, KB)
     Cold One

1 Noble (Master) @ 264 Pts
     Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; 2xRHBow; Battle Standard
     Banner of Nagarythe (Unbreakable, +1 CR w/in 12")
     Cold One

1 Noble (Master) @ 154 Pts
     Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; 2xRHBow
     Ring of Darkness (1/2 BS to shoot unit)
     Cold One

1 Noble (Master) @ 159 Pts
     Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; 2xRHBow
     Null Talisman x3 (MR 3)
     Cold One

17 Cold One Knights @ 478 Pts
     Dread Knight
          Ring of Hotek (Miscast on doubles w/in 12")
     Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
     Standard of Hag Graef (ASF)
     Cold One

14 Cold One Knights @ 458 Pts
     Dread Knight
          Null Talisman x1 (MR 1)
     Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
     War Banner (+1 CR)
     Cold One

5 Mounted Yeomen (Dark Riders) @ 123 Pts
     Herald
     Spear; Light Armour; Musician
     Dark Steed

Herald
     Dark Steed

Herald
     Dark Steed

Casting Pool: 2
Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 50
Total Army Cost: 2250

So far I've played one game using this style of list (with fewer knights) and it did exceptionally well. The enemy was massacred quickly and the Knights managed to hold up well to allattacks even chariot impact hits and Dragon Ogres in the flank could not kill enough of either unit to prevent my eventual success in combat.
- Aaron Chapman
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

OK this is cute. This is quite a reasonable list where people think "eek" rather than the shade list which my first thought was "you idiot"

Again stupidly over engineered, but at least it doesen't look completely broken like the shade list. I will experiment with this idea, but not to the exclusion of everything else, mine will have magic and some shooting in it, and far fewer banners.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Heat-13
Beastmaster

Post by Heat-13 »

Nice idea! I've been considering this, but I went for a nearly all foot army, but anyway back on track.

Killer combat and movement potential, my advice would be:

1) Don't just have two big units of CoK - I'd have three units of 10-11, as I think 17 in one is waaayy too much.

2) Why heralds? You don't need em - It'll be better to just include another rider, as you don't need the extra BS, as you have no xbows, and if you get another guy, you also get another horse.

3) Have a lady in your army - its major weakspot is the lack of sorceresses. You don't even have a DS.

4) Maybe have a chariot for variety's sake? Impact hits are cool...

But yeah good list man, but its not totally stupid, and you can make it work reasonably well =D

Now go get some slaves...

EDIT:

@ Rabidnid - that is honestly the 1st time in my life I have ever heard anyone refer to a large number massive giant scaly monsters as cute =P
WS:4 S:3 T:3 D:5 I:4
Basic Stealth, Blood Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting
Eq: S Swordx2, R Crossbow (8 clips), 3xT.Daggers (2gd,1exc) Shade Cloak, Wolfskin Cloak, Stealth armor,s drugs, ring,50ft s.rope, 4rations.33.3 gp
Group 21 Mod
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

After the weekend tournament, I really like the Caledor bane lance.

Those pesky &*%&*%^ treespirits get no save at all.

I reckon the RXbs on the lord are a complete waste, you will be marching most of the time.

I would use the points to put Rxbs on your dark riders where they will be a lot more use.