Malekith tactics?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bazooka-101
Slave (off the Altar)

Malekith tactics?

Post by Bazooka-101 »

first of all it is malekith right?
anyways, I really like the witch king and wanted to include him in a game for a test. What does everybody think the best tactics for Malekith are?
Also what mounts have worked out best for you guys, or you think will work best. My thoughts are his chariot :twisted:

All Comments welcome :D
With 7th Edition Dark Elves

W:18 D:3 L:4
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Personally, what I think is best is to leave Malekith at home. The guy's getting old, so he needs to spend time at the castle playing bridge, sewing, gardening and doing whatever else old people do. ;)

Failing that, I always thought he would be best against some uber magic heavy army, because of his new magic resistance rules. I'd throw him in a unit of about 20 ASF Blackguard. The idea is to try to get your opponent to throw magic missiles at your ridiculously expensive unit, so if you dispel, they're taking S6 hits. Some might think this is overkill, but I'd also throw a ring of hotek character, somewhere on the other side of the army. That way when people are throwing magic missiles at you, they're mages will pretty much blow themselves up.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

If you're going to dish out the 600 points he costs to field, you may as well field him on a dragon! That way you can have him flying around causing all sorts of shenaniganry and questionable activities.

Chariot would be good if you want a bit more protection, but I'd say it'd be safest to keep him on a cold one.

I'd say keep him away from big nasties with magic weapons though (like, say, Tyrion), unless you're feeling lucky that you'll be able to survive a round of combat and make their magic weapons go poof (in that case, then by all means feel free to throw him at any poorly-painted model that you feel looked at you the wrong way).

His 2+ ward vs non-magical weapons is pretty good if you want to gear him towards rank 'n file killing, but I'd say he's more of a caster than a fighter, so be careful where he ends up.
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

the ASF black guard do solve the magic weapons problem though DI - if he goes first then he can blow the weapon up before they get to use it :)

personally im with Camris him with BG (fluffy as well), and a COK unit with RoH somewhere else - casters have a bad day... Rest of the army can be basic points denial - that way people will have to come towards malekith and friends because thats all that they can catch :twisted:
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Slortor wrote:the ASF black guard do solve the magic weapons problem though DI - if he goes first then he can blow the weapon up before they get to use it :)

That is a good idea against most armies, since a lot of armies don't have things with access to ASF, let alone enough initiative to compete with Malekith even if they did.

However!

If you're facing someone like Tyrion, an assassin with a Venom Sword, or a Slaanesh Greater Demon, then you might be in trouble (Malekith's initiative is an 8, whereas all of his buddies that I just mentioned all have initiative 10, as well as ASF).

Of course, these are situations that are hard to encounter, but they are there, so keep things like that in mind if you happen to be facing those kinds of threats.

Other than that, Malekith will be very effective, if you use him properly!
Schlorgadorb
Warrior

Post by Schlorgadorb »

Just make sure you have an army as well. You don't want him to be all you've got! If you take him and some mages, or what not, you'll have about 800 points left. If you take that 20 man unit of black guard, that'll make it about 500 left. Thats about enough for core, and... well, nothing else. If thats ok, then lets just hope he's able to take down enough stuff to be worth it. Individual character kills aren't as deadly as the rank and file, just because you can't get as many of them. I imagine if you use him right, he'll make up for bad rolling quite well. I mean, thats all that higher stats really mean, is making up for bad rolls.

However, he is the ONLY elf with Toughness 4. This is likely from sheer will, or the metal fused to his skin. I've often wanted to make a Malekith on Foot model. It'd be fun, and I'd make it look way better than the Malekith model they have already.
My record for New Dark Elves: (15/0/10)
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I think that unless you're playing a big game (4k or more) I think that the best strategy for him is to not be in your list.

In my opinion, he still cost too much to worth being used. Sure he's the only elf with T4 but don't forget that Malus goes to T5 if he releases Tz'arkan..
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

If the question were is he a good use of points? The answer would almost always be ; They could be better spent elsewhere.

If the question is; How to best make use of him?

I reccommend him on a cold one in a unit of BG with the Hag graef standard. Support him with a champ with the crimson death and they are a passable unit in combat. Or my personal choice; a master with the pendant and soulrender - a resiliant and dependable bodyguard.

You need a few units to delay and disrupt the enemy since at least one enemy hero will be capable of killing him (at least until he casts soul stealer), so at least 2 units of harpies or dark riders.

Against most opponents, just one more sorceress will be enough with either the darkstar cloak or the dagger.

So I would spend the rest of your points on attack rather than the fickle winds of magic.

Of course, it depends what opponents you are facing. If you face skaven, you may prefer to drop the BG for hordes of warriors and give your characters null talismans to neuter the warlocks. If you face HE you might want a squadron of knights or a hunter noble with the ring of hotek to zoom forward to neutralise Teclis (or those rare Asur armies that fight without him), but all in all, a safe start to any Mally army I have used has been him on a Cold one in a unit of strikes first BG.