1600 point eldar tourney list

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Faerthurir
Corsair

1600 point eldar tourney list

Post by Faerthurir »

hey guys, entering a tourney soon enough, 1600 points. just want some criticisms of my list.

HQ:

ELITES:
7 Striking scorpions, exarch, biting blade, shadowstrike, stalker - 154

TROOPS:
8 Dire avengers, exarch, 2 avenger catapults, bladestorm - 128

10 wraithguard, spiritseer, conceal - 396

FAST ATTACK:
5 swooping hawks, exarch, sunrifle, skyleap, intercept - 152

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Wraithlord, 2 flamers, wraithsword, bright lance - 140

3 War walkers, twin shuriken cannon - 120

5 dark reapers, exarch, fast shot, tempest launcher 225

totalling 1600 exactly. i'm fairly proud of the list, was bouncing it off Arquinsiel for quite a while before i got to that version. and yes, that is a hell of a lot of eldar for 1600 points.

plan is to use dire avengers for objectives. the wraithguard are also for objectives, because a 10-strong squad with a spiritseer is a troops choice, and i'd like to see anything short of orbital bombardment take them out of hard cover.

wraithlord and avatar are fire magnets and to take out tanks. you'd be amazed at the weight of fire people will pour at an avatar....

scorpions and reapers for disruption and pwnage, reapers will make most people think twice before setting foot in their line of fire, and the infiltrating scorpions cause massive damage as well as being able to soak up a fair amount themselves.
swooping hawks for general disruption and harassment (hell, if they get lucky, they might be able to slap some haywire grenades on a tank or two!). exarch has a sunrifle, strength 3, assault 6, pinning. again, keep the light infantry upset. not to mention grenades every turn if i use skyleap.

the war walkers are a bonus, they'll distract the enemy for a few turns, maybe even keep some ranged units tied up in combat if they outflank, and if they're ignored they lay down an upsetting hail of fire. 18 s6 shots is not to be sneezed upon. main objective with these guys is to take out light infantry and vehicles.
"There was a baby's nappy in that stagnant water, and some of it got in my mouth. And that STILL wasn't the mankiest thing that's happened to me all weekend."
Faerthurir
Corsair

Post by Faerthurir »

come on guys, i like people to knock the hell outta my army so i can make it better! needs some feedback!
"There was a baby's nappy in that stagnant water, and some of it got in my mouth. And that STILL wasn't the mankiest thing that's happened to me all weekend."
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

Hi, just took a quick look at your list and i'm not 100% on this as It would take ages to find my eldar codex but with that amount of wraithguard a warlock wouldn't go astray.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

come on guys, i like people to knock the hell outta my army so i can make it better! needs some feedback

Be a little patient ;)

your wish is my command :D ... at least in this case.

@Demendred - they have a spiritseer which is a warlock that is a little better.

No comments on the Avatar - love the model, love the rules.

7 Striking scorpions, exarch, biting blade, shadowstrike, stalker - 154

You might want to take a power fist instead of a biting blade on that one, simply to get through the tougher opponents out there. A biting blade is likely not going to do a better job at cutting through your opponent than the biting blade.

Bladestorm on these is not that great because they won't end up in combat so they can pump more shots out if you let each of them shoot twice for two turns rather than three times in one turn. Increases the output of shots by 30%.

If you plan to run them together with other units, I would recommend getting two more Avengers in each squad and adding exarchs with defence and shimmershield. That way they can get stuck in the thick of things, tie an enemy unit up and then have your dedicated assault units get the avengers out of it again. On their own they won't last very long - anyone who has a problem with where they are will likely get the better off them (short of fire warriors perhaps).

10 wraithguard, spiritseer, conceal - 396

These are probably better of with enhance or destructor (if you can get them in range of the guns you'll also likely be in range for the flamer) seeing as cover is very easily to get by in the new edition. May I ask what type of opponent you will be facing? against tau and the likes, wraithguard are of little use seeing as they are so slow that it will take them a long time until they can bring their guns to bear.

Not so sure about the swooping hawks either - how do you plan to use them? and again - who are you going to play against?

Personally, I would exchange the sword for a missile launcher. More damage output and more viable against many things - now it can also put holes through battle suits and get some infantry killiness.

I can't wait to try that set up out myself... should be deadly especially when they're outflanking and are accompanied by scorpions. Definitely worth a try - let us know how they go! Even though, If you can, I'd go for scatter lasers - the higher range and number of shots can be worth it at times. What I've always wanted to try out is having a unit of three WW in cover with missile launchers and a farseer casting fortune and guide on them turn after turn... They would more or less rule the battlefield with their equally high anti-infantry and anti-tank power.

The Dark Reapers are fine too, except that I would take crack shot instead of fast shot. With the new template rules two templates should be enough to cover most units, and crack shot is simply a lot better, especially with the new cover rules.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

I agree with Anderson on most parts.

I'd vote against the Scorpion's Claw since you essentially get less attacks with that and with Scorpions, you are going for horde enemies with unimpressive AS anyway. Against Terminators, Meganobz and the like, you want to use that Wraithlord - with his Wraithsword.

War Walkers are the way to go, I mostly use mine with EML or Shuricen Cannons. Scannons because they are cheap, and EML because they are versatile and I love the new blast targeting rules :) I will have to say no for the Scatters, though. With the mobility of WWs and the relatively high points cost of Scatters, I would rather go with Shuricen Cannons which have better AP, too.

And definitely trade the Conceal for Enhance! Destructor is one of my favourite Psychic powers but when you have something in range of the Wraithcannons, that something is going down anyway ;) Enhance will help on assault, providing some casualties when those Marines assault.

Looking good, hope you do fine!
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Faerthurir
Corsair

Post by Faerthurir »

thanks for the responses guys! Tourney is on saturday, as far as i know orks and tau will be making an appearance, probably a lot of marines too, there always are in tourneys.

Some clarifications,

the dire avengers i may fix thanks to the advice. i like bladestorm because it's a godawful amount of shots and can (and has) come in really useful in some tight situations.

scorpion exarch is staying with the biting blade, partly because scorpions for me are about the number of decent strength attacks, not the armour piercing value. also, the exarch with the biting blade is pretty much the pride and joy of my army at the moment :)

point noted about cover, gonna give the wraithguard enhance, they usually end up in a scrap anyway

the wraithlord stays with the sword - its not combat effectiveness, its just to keep him cheap. hopefully he'ss murder a few tanks, maybe even get into combat, but wraithlords have the nasty habit of drawing ALLL the heavy weapons on the battlefield, so thats what i plan on using him for.

point also noted on the crack shot ability, i forgot it was heavy 2 anyway. 3 blasts is a bit overkill for most infantry.

i never liked putting anything expensive on walkers though, they die far too easy.

ok, will go and draft up a new list and have it back in a while :)

thanks all for the help!

edit: the swooping hawks are a disruptive unit, at the very least they'll be dropping blast markers on the enemy, if they get the opportunity they can take out vehicles with their haywire grenades, even skimmers moving fast with their intercept ability. they also have enough firepower to seriously hurt a guard or tau squad (the sunrifle the exarch has gives 6 shots and causes pinning!)
Faerthurir
Corsair

Re: 1600 point eldar tourney list

Post by Faerthurir »

edited list

HQ:

ELITES:
8 Striking scorpions, exarch, biting blade, shadowstrike, stalker - 170

TROOPS:
9 Dire avengers, exarch, 2 avenger catapults - 125

9 Dire avengers, exarch, 2 avenger catapults - 125

10 wraithguard, spiritseer, enhance - 396

FAST ATTACK:
5 swooping hawks, exarch, sunrifle, skyleap, intercept - 152

HEAVY SUPPORT:

5 dark reapers, exarch, fast shot, tempest launcher 215

total: 1598

dropped fast shot for crack shot in the dark reapers, lost bladestorm with the exarchs, switched conceal for enhance. result: 1 more scorpion, 2 dire avengers.

hmm, not sure about it though, i LIKE my bladestorm, it's done right by me the last few games.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Have you had success with Swooping Hawks in the past? Mine have always failed me :? Scorpions, on the other hand, are my favourite unit in 40k and have always fulfilled my will :)

The new list looks better, not much different but improved. Tighter, so to say. You could do with even more Avenger, as a scoring unit they will attract a lot of attention so the more bodies the better.

Hope I've helped!
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Faerthurir wrote:also, the exarch with the biting blade is pretty much the pride and joy of my army at the moment :)
Except for that one time... when I killed him... with a Ratling...... in close combat.....
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Faerthurir
Corsair

Post by Faerthurir »

yes arq, me and the exarch had a strongly worded discussion over that, and he said he's very sorry and it won't happen again. also, you may want to tell your ratling that crotch-biting is considered ignoble, and rather against the whole spirit of having a good scrap.

@zakath: the hawks have had mixed success, im pretty sure they'll do me proud this time!.
Faerthurir
Corsair

Post by Faerthurir »

well, 2 brilliant victories, a hilarious draw and a minor defeat later, i'd change a few things.

1)swooping hawks performed admirably, doing nothing but being incredibly annoying. they ended up killing a space marine captain in CC and then skyleaping out of combat with his irate unit. not really worth the points though

2)i may drop the war walkers for a second wraithlord. i only fought marines and necrons in the tourney, and they basically just bounced off

3) wraithguard performed as well as could be expected, taking objectives and generally keeping my army safe. i had a blood angels veteran assault squad who point blank refused to attack them. happy days :)

4)whoever gave me the crack shot over fast shot advice, i love you. here is a list of things my reaper exarch took down (all in single volleys)
*11 necron warriors
*10 space marines
*4 blood angels veteran assault marines and 3 death company (yes, in one volley! the missile scattered into the veterans)

5)eldar do not like thunderfire cannon.

6)the avatar is AWESOME. took down captain lysander and the damned marine tank commander in CC at the same time. died in the process, but he killed over double his points cost.

overall, very happy.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Congratulations! It always cheers me up when I see some Mon-Keigh scum bite the dust! Especially when its after fun games as I think you've had.

Against Necron and Marines the War Walkers may have not shined but I would give them a second chance. A Wraithlord might be better all-rounder, though.

About the Hawks... I told you so! IMHO they rarely accomplish the tasks set for them, although they always seem to prove annoying in the process. Mind you, I wouldn't pay 160+pts. for annoyance.