Ranger rifle querry

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Ranger rifle querry

Post by Malevion »

I was just skimming through my rulebook and eldar codex today and thought of this.

In the ranger long rifle section it says that rolls to hit of 6+(or 5+ for pathfinders) count as Ap1. The rifles also have the sniper rule which means they also have pinning and more importantly rending.

As we all know rending happens on the wound roll and makes the shot count as ap2 on a 6+. Does this mean that when a ranger fires they have a chance to ignore armour save both on the to hit and to wound roll? And what would happen if you rolled a 6 to hit followed by a 6 to wound? Would the shot then be ap1 or 2? I was just wondering if this has been FAQed or discussed at all. It doesn't seem very game changing or powerful to me but it makes rangers slightly better than before. And yes I proably have too much time on my hands if I'm thinking about things like this. ;)
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

It would be AP1 in case both happened. And yes, they are good ;)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The codex was written in 4th ed, where Rending happened on the to-hit roll and was an auto-wound. The rules have changed and now it means you can get a number of armour ignoring results from the unit. They really are rather lethal snipers, but they do cost a lot for that.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Arquinsiel wrote:The codex was written in 4th ed, where Rending happened on the to-hit roll and was an auto-wound. The rules have changed and now it means you can get a number of armour ignoring results from the unit. They really are rather lethal snipers, but they do cost a lot for that.

The best thing about them aren't their rifles (often I even forget I'm using them as they hardly ever down anyone). The handiest thing is that they sit in cover, preferably on an objective you have placed deep inside your own deployment zone. There they spend all game ignoring when they're shot at (and some times even taking pot shots at termies and their likes).

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.