Discussing Magic

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Discussing Magic

Post by Kinslayer »

What's cooler than swords? Fireballs, that's what!

Dnet Roleplayers, I have another suggestion to put forth for your opinions and discussion. There are currently three options for character class when creating a character, which as we all know are Warrior, Shade and Disciple of Khaine. These cover almost every aspect of what a Druchii can be, as they cover most of the common roles such as Warrior, Corsair, Shade, Executioner, Witch Elf etc. The only thing I find distinctly lacking as an option is that of a mage or spellcaster. I'm putting out the idea of creating a balanced spellcaster class for use in the RPG.

As just mentioned, balance is necessary. I feel the current character classes are all balanced and any new one would have to be the same. A warrior is usually someone from the army or an old corsair who has some training and plenty of experience under his belt. A shade is raised for fighting and survival, and although has no training as such has everything hammered in from birth. A disciple, be they witch or exectuioner or something else, will likely have had less time in the real world but a great deal more training. In keeping with this, I think a spellcaster class would have to be one that has just come out of training and is the equivelent of a level 1 or lower mage.

Starting equipment would no doubt be a dagger and staff, with no armour, and starting skills something like Basic Mana. Skill increase could either come in the form of levelling up through something like Basica Mana, Average Mana, Advanced Mana, etc - or through a system where spells are learned rather than skills. This way fireball or something similar could be the basic skill, and as the character progresses they could learn new ones. Making it work in gameplay would need to be down to the host. I for one feel a Miscast could come as a result of a particularly bad quality post. That or, in keeping it random, 2 dice could be rolled everytime they cast magic and a miscast worked out the traditional 2d6 tabletop way.

This is just an idea, and one that would need work. Let me know your thoughts.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I remember a long time ago a discussion on whether to introduce Spell Casters to the RPG world of D.net. Can't remember how it went however: It was dismissed I believe. But I've always been one for introducing the spell caster. I'll muse upon this further.

The first thing we will probably have to figure out will be managing the spells in combat. You can’t make the class too over powered if you have them building Mana and firing spells in single turns.

Let’s say Spell Casters can save up to a maximum of 3 Mana Points on them at all times. As they level to a certain milestone, their Maximum Mana Points increase to 5 and so on and so forth.

It would be best if we made Dhar Magic the only lore as of now they could learn. Moderators/Group Leaders would need to be very familiar with these magic spells and rules and would have to judge best the damage scale.

For example: We cannot have Fireballs doing a constant amount of damage over and over, from 200 yards away, while you’re getting mauled by a group of Ogres, while having shoes thrown at you. No, this does not tie in with good old randomness of RPG which we all love. Group Leaders would do what they normally do and judge and calculate what the damage scale would be, depending on the situation of course. Another Example:

Bob’s eyes light up as the power of raw chaos flows through him. Words from lost generators rumble across the plains as Bob channels the Dark Magic towards his outstretched, sweaty palm. Heaving his arm back, Bob hurls the fireball across the plain towards the giant. Alas! Considering the fireball was thrown from 200 yards away and it hit the giants toenail, Bob’s fireball does little to no damage.

So basically, I’m saying that magic doesn’t have a homing becon on enemies, you would still have to aim it at them.

Let’s get started on statistics.

WS: Doesn’t affect magic.

Strength: Doesn’t affect magic.

Toughness: Doesn’t affect magic but could be used if we are dealing with a miscast and/or backlash.

Dexterity: Doesn’t affect magic.

Intelligence: Deals heavily with magic. The higher Intelligence is the better understanding the player can have with magic. They might also learn faster, can manage difficult spells easier etc.

To stop new players simply maxing out the Intelligence characteristic when they create their character, we could make it so that they can start with a maximum of “4” intelligence. Or, we could add a completely new attribute for magic users. I’m not sure what you’d call it but it would tie in with what their affinity with magic is. We might even have to increase the points they could use when building their character. The point increase would only be for Magic Users though.

Interruption: Taking damage causes you to lose your concentration. Continuous spells are disabled and must be recast.

Disable: Sustaining heavy damage causes you to lose your concentration and your mind clouds over from the pain. All spells now cast have a chance of miscast. Disable only lasts for a round or two.

Backlash: You lose control of the raw magic flowing through you. You fail in conjuring the spell, and you suffer damage.

Miscast: You lose control of the raw magic flowing through you. You fail in conjuring the spell. Roll randomly on this damage chart.

Roll 1: A portal to another dimension opens up and you feel the life force of yourself being sucked away. Don’t stand so close to the magic users when this is happening.

Roll 2: An imp is summoned and attacks your group

Roll 3: A fiery explosion erupts from your pores, burning you severely.

Roll 4: The Chaos Gods smile upon you. A glowing rune emits from your forehead. Sweet! Oh, and you may free cast any spell (you know) with double THE POWER!

Roll 5: A high pitched scream emits from your staff, you cannot stop it. It disorientates your entire group.

Roll 6: A demon spawn claws it way through another dimension and attacks everything in its path.

*The miscast table can be changed. Hell, everything in my post could be changed.*

Let’s think of some spells and tie some casting requirements to them. We might have it where instead of the magic users learning a new spell, they might increase their knowledge on an already known spell, increasing its effectiveness.

Build Mana: You draw your hand back and wrench the powers of Dhar from the very air around you – Builds 1 Mana - Free to Cast

(Dark) Fireball: A magic missile composed of Dhar Magic – A basic magic missile - 1 (or 1.5 possibly) Mana to Cast

These will be the starting spells. Everything else beyond this point must be learnt and/or discovered.

Enveloping Shadows: A dark shadow circles you and shrouds your presence – Toughness + 1, Dexterity -1 – 2 Mana to Cast – Lasts for 1 or 2 turns

Blood Curdling Howl: You bring forth the howl of an ancient demon to this world, bursting ear drums and shattering glass. – AoE spell – 3 Mana to Cast

More to come…

Names could still be changed, just brainstorming.

Build Mana 1 – Level 1
Build Mana 1.5 – Level 2
Build Mana 2 – Level 3
Build Mana 2.5 – Level 4
Build Mana 3 – Level 5

Dark Fireball – Level 1
Dark Pulse – Level 2
Dark Wave – Level 3

What do you think? What can we get rid of, build upon etc etc.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Though I can appreciate that a lot of work probably went into that I have to say that I am not a fan of the whole idea. One of the things I like about the RPG on Druchii net is that it is not too ridiculous, the characters are not heroes or particularly special. I think that adding mages into the mix kind of spoils that, after all anyone can pick up a sword or a crossbow, hardly anyone is going to be a mage. So call me Mr. traditional but I don't think mages are the way to go.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Drainial wrote:Though I can appreciate that a lot of work probably went into that I have to say that I am not a fan of the whole idea. One of the things I like about the RPG on Druchii net is that it is not too ridiculous, the characters are not heroes or particularly special. I think that adding mages into the mix kind of spoils that, after all anyone can pick up a sword or a crossbow, hardly anyone is going to be a mage. So call me Mr. traditional but I don't think mages are the way to go.

Good points. I too am a fan of the 'you're a mercenary, not a hero' style of the Roleplay system here. I still think it would be possible to create a mercenary standard mage character though, although perhaps I am wrong. Giving them a low maximum weapon skill and strength would help balance out their combat potential, since they'd have to rely on their magic alone most of the time.

Also, Khel, I think dexterity would be important. Most spells are cast with complex hand gestures and chants, I think.

Something like Maxiumum of 2 S, WS, and a minimum of 3 D, I.
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

I agree that getting dedicated casters into the game would spoil the feel of it, but what about a few simple spells added to the skill list?

The Malus books, for example, have instances of very simple spells for light and such being learned by what are otherwise non-casters. I'm not sure how official that is, but it's an intriguing idea, and one I think could be implemented without destroying the game's balance. (Not to mention certain items in the tabletop game granting wizard abilities to their bearers and such.)

Another idea would be adding rules for magic simply for a challenging opponent, sort of a boss fight type thing, and not allowing player characters to use it?

Also, if magic is implemented in any form, I suggest just adapting the current rules, rather than creating a new stat for magic proficiency though. It seems less cumbersome.
Last edited by Desmodeus on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Desmodeus wrote:
I agree that getting dedicated casters into the game would spoil the feel of it, but what about a few simple spells added to the skill list?

The Malus books, for example, have instances of very simple spells for light and such being learned by what are otherwise non-casters. I'm not sure how official that is, but it's an intriguing idea, and one I think could be implemented without destroying the game's balance. (Not to mention certain items in the tabletop game granting wizard abilities to their bearers and such.)

Another idea would be adding rules for magic simply for a challenging opponent, sort of a boss fight type thing, and not allowing player characters to use it?

Also, if magic is implemented in any form, I suggest just adapting the current rules, rather than creating a new stat for magic proficiency though. It seems less cumbersome.

Firstly, your small red font is barely legible.

Secondly, magic wielding NPCs are already a part of my game and probably many others.

The discussion is for a magic wielding character class, or perhaps yes skills that can be learned. My question on the latter idea is how would a player go about pushing himself towards learning those skills were he not already a magic user? If a player wants to learn ride, they need to throw themselves onto a horse and keep at. If a player wanted to learn 'dark fireball' or something, they would have to use it and keep at it. But to know how to use it and keep at it, they would have to have learned it. You see? Dillema!

Thus I still suggest that, if anything, it were a character class of its own. Not with new stats, but with the existing WS, S, T, D and I. The latter two would be of importance here, which I also find good because the other three classes rely more heavily on the first three stats.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Well, to counter that point, just because you have learned something does not mean you are a master at it. Practice makes perfect. In order to master a certain spell, maybe you would need to have a certain stat level, I 5 to be master at fireball and able to cast it with little repercussion to the caster.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Drainial wrote:Though I can appreciate that a lot of work probably went into that I have to say that I am not a fan of the whole idea. One of the things I like about the RPG on Druchii net is that it is not too ridiculous, the characters are not heroes or particularly special. I think that adding mages into the mix kind of spoils that, after all anyone can pick up a sword or a crossbow, hardly anyone is going to be a mage. So call me Mr. traditional but I don't think mages are the way to go.

True, a mercenary mage is a bit far fetched.

Perhaps we could make a system of scrolls which could be purchased or found. Each scroll has a number of uses tied to it and reading the scroll aloud casts the scrolls spell.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

thenick18 wrote:Well, to counter that point, just because you have learned something does not mean you are a master at it. Practice makes perfect. In order to master a certain spell, maybe you would need to have a certain stat level, I 5 to be master at fireball and able to cast it with little repercussion to the caster.

I don't see how that counters my point at all? I never said that by gaining the skill you would become a master in that spell. My point was simply that how would a player go about gaining a magic skill in the first place if they are not a magic user until they get it?

Much like the other stats which move up in stages (such as Uncontrollable Frenzy, Frenzy, Controlled Frenzy) the spell skills would have to be learned in stages (such as Fireball lvl1, Fireball lvl2, Fireball lvl3).

Although I am using Fireball as the example here, I would suggest having such spells as Chillwind available in the game.

So, for an example:

Character Class: Mage

18 points to spread between WS, S, T, D and I.
minimum 1, maximum 2, on WS, S.
minimum 1, maximum 5, on T.
minimum 3, maximum 4, on D, I.

Starting Equipment: dagger, staff (hand weapon used to cast magic)
Starting Skills: Chillwind lvl1
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Sorry, I'll bear that in mind (and change my posts as I only have a few).

Well, lore suggests that elves have a natural affinity for learning magic, and the idea of power hungry and cunning druchii seeking to learn what spells were in his or her ability doesn't seem far-fetched... You might have a point as to where he or she learned the spells in the first place, however.

Now I've thought more on it though, you're right; there must be a few rogue mages or low level acolytes running around. I suppose simply limiting the spells to 'easy' stuff like tweaking locks and throwing fireballs would keep it in character. To that end, if they're rogues, do you think they may they be male too? Such individuals would have to be very secretive, but that could be pretty fun to play.
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Desmodeus wrote:Sorry, I'll bear that in mind (and change my posts as I only have a few).

Well, lore suggests that elves have a natural affinity for learning magic, and the idea of power hungry and cunning druchii seeking to learn what spells were in his or her ability doesn't seem far-fetched... You might have a point as to where he or she learned the spells in the first place, however.

Now I've thought more on it though, you're right; there must be a few rogue mages or low level acolytes running around. I suppose simply limiting the spells to 'easy' stuff like tweaking locks and throwing fireballs would keep it in character. To that end, if they're rogues, do you think they may they be male too? Such individuals would have to be very secretive, but that could be pretty fun to play.

Definately, hence my choice of name "mage" rather than sorceress. Male and female would be a must.

Rouge Mages running about, tweaking locks and hurling fireballs. Sounds good to me ;)

Tarbo, if you're out there, I'd like to know what you think? :lol:
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

I like the discussion here. I agree with you all the 'non-hero' rp is one of the main things that drew me to Dnet, but at the same time I think to ignore the possibility of expanding the classes and the rp part of this site shouldn't be totally ignored. And as always if you did want mages of any sort in your group there is nothing to stop you doing so.

I think weak mages can be worked into it. I know its a concept and term of the Empire but what about, Hedge-Wizards'. They are rouge mages who have little training and though they do have powers they usually aren’t devastating attacks of raging pillars of fire and so forth.

Keep the old stats!

Also surly there are dangers to being an illegal wizard or mage, especially when all male spellcasters are to be put to death instantly be decree of the witch king? (I believe that’s correct anyway) The dangers of the warp that surround casters could balance of their powers, and im sure many adventures and story threads could spring up from having a mage in any group.

But those are just my thoughts.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Class: Shade
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

I don't have the codex with me to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that Malekith just banned training male wizards.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

When Malekith bans something breaking said ban usually ends up with intestines going places intestines are not supposed to go, but that is beside the point.

Small skills are an intriguing idea, though I don't think it should stretch so far as throwing fire balls. The way I see it all elves are going to be a little magical, maybe enough to light a lamp, open a door, or throw their vision a few hundred meters. Nothing major but potentially useful. As to how it would be learned, well I don't think a couple of hours with a teacher and a scroll to memorise would be too hard to fit into a role play. If they have the money for the training and are in a city I don't see why it should be so different from riding a horse, just needs practise.

People with skills like that might not be encouraged by the government and you probably wouldn't want to use them with the black guard looking over your shoulder but in general it probably wouldn't cause any trouble.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Here are my opinions on the subject.

First of all, I think that Strength and Toughness are integrally involved in the making of a spellcaster, as much as Intelligence is. A unique factor in the Warhammer world which I am a fan of is the Warp, and the danger it presents. It has been mentioned a number of times in various codexes that it takes a great deal of strength of body as well as mind to withstand channeling the power of the warp through you. It is almost like having high voltages ran repeatedly through your body. Spellcasters must be tough, and strong in order to withstand the pull of the warp.

In regards to creating a Spellcaster class...Well, let's look at the druchii creation guide which describes your starting character as a 7pt soldier. There is no possibility of allowing a Level 1 mage as a starting class.

I think the main point that fights against the possibility of including such a character is our system. You can talk about restricting Intelligence etc., but that wouldn't really be fair. We don't have a randomised system so there will be people who act against their character. I like randomised systems. They are a brilliant tool in character-building. The random statistics practically create your character for you. Not to mention that we are pretty restricted in regards to what we have as statistics.

Look at them. Look at the classes. All of those statistics are significant, practically vital to every class. Even if we were to introduce a mage class that was already leaning towards being broken, it would gain the massive advantage of needing only one, maybe two and perhaps three of those give. The rest it can effectively disregard. That makes it broken. However, if you were to give it an extra statistic, and stick it straight into the rest of them unchanged, then we might be getting somewhere. 18/6 instead of 18/5. We have some balancing right there.

I'm going to call this class tentatively a Listener (one who can hear the warp, nice and obscure to allow all kinds of characters, Adherents of Dhar, Coven Sorceresses, Chaos Cultists or just some unfortunate kid with a power he can't control) and start it off with no magic. Toughness must be at least 3 - otherwise he probably wouldn't live through the first he uses magic - and 45 gold to spend on equipment (any unspent is discarded). Beyond that, I don't want to get into it too far right now...the magic system would be so complicated. Seriously, one of the biggest problems this would face is the amount of work that would have to be put into this for just a single class. It boggles the mind, it really does.

Oh, and if you're really asking what I think of the whole idea of a mage class. Why not? If you can make it balanced with the other classes I don't really see why you shouldn't be allowed to go ahead. Of course, I emphasise how this balancing would occur. As mentioned above, in order for this character to be balanced, he would have to start it off without any 'real' magic.
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Malekith also outlawed Chaos worship... You can almost hear Morathi sniggering.

I don't think that blasts of magic would be any more difficult than controlling the winds enough to manipulate a lock, especially if one looks at the Druchii Sorcery rule; power seems easier to atain than control. Plus, when you look at what light and heat are in respects to real world physics (especially when considering things that 'glow with heat'), invisible blasts of heat seem easier than cold light by far. I am assuming that a spell's difficulty depends on the laws it breaks and to what extent it breaks them here, but I suspect it does.

I don't like the idea of altering the proposed 'mage' to be especially different from other classes, I prefer Kinslayer's idea of just altering the focus onto a different stat balance. In light of the mage's more powerful abilities, what about just making the mage only skills have slightly higher requirments?

As for where these rogues come from, Nagaira of the Malus books was taught by Eldire for purposes of Eldire's own. She then taught others. Now, this is a believable, general basis for how rogue mages could come about (ignoring Slaaneshi cultists for now) that really doesn't even require the Malus books to be regarded as canon.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Magic was indeed discussed and dismissed earlier, but reopening a discussion isn't always a bad thing.

There are pretty much five ways to deal with magic in this RPG:

No Magic

Sounds obvious, but sometimes the obvious needs stating. The RPG doesn't need magic, so we're not forced to accept a subpar solution.

Freeform

We pick some skill as a measure --like Intelligence, as suggested-- of how good someone is at magic, and the host decides what he can pull off.

At first sight, this seems like a decent solution; we use the same approach to most every other aspect of the RPG. The problem here is that we lack the common sense necessary to moderate this. No, you can't tear off the man's arm with your pinky. No, you can't talk down the 8ft armoured menace with a mace the size of your leg. What about melting his mace from a distance? (Or turning it into chocolate?)

I imagine this would be notoriously difficult to moderate.

By Spell

People can learn from a number of spells, strictly defined beforehand. This is D&D's usual approach to the issue, with varying degrees of success.

The advantage here is that a "magical common sense" is not necessary here. The obvious disadvantages are that we actually have to make (and maintain) a list of spells, and that some of the freedom of players is clipped, which is something we usually strive to avoid.

By Scroll

As above, but not learnable. This also pretty much excludes a truly separate class of spellcasters, but makes it something of a skill that other classes can take. If everyone can learn to use scrolls, there's less of a balance problem.

There's also less chance of, as Drainial put it, your intestines 404-ing on you.

By Discipline

We take a chip from another roleplaying system, namely White Wolf's Mage. Here we have disciplines in magic, such as Time, Life, Entropy, Energy, and so on. The trick here is that a spell is an application and combination of a number of disciplines. Fireball? I'm thinking some degree of Entropy and lots of Energy. Returning someone's intestines to their proper location? Life.

Advantages are that there is both room for moderation as for a lot of creativity, and that there can still be some level of reference in the form of premade effects. Also, someone with Energy 10 and Entropy 10 is going to create a heck of a better fireball than a 1-1'er, so it also scales.

The main disadvantage I see here are settling on a number of magical disciplines that both encompass most of the magic we'd like to see.

I'm a bit too tired for the complete write-up, but you see what I'm getting at.

That said, I'm still in the "No Magic"-camp. But if magic is to make its way into the RPG, I feel the discipline-based way would be the fairest.

My two pence. And a kazillion keyboard hits.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Interesting opinions. Well, to start at the start, Fluffwise it can work. As has been stated, elves have a natural affinity for magic and we're talking rogue mages probably the equivelent of a level 0.1 mage in Warhammer, not a level 1 character. Thus, no Black Horrors and Pits of Shade. It would need to be basic attack spells, something like a bolt of dark power, and stuff like conealment spells etc. Male and female would be needed for fairness, and I'm sure Malekith hasn't found every rogue male sorceror.

As for if it would work gamewise, I think it needs testing. Looking over the ideas Tarbo has listed I feel the discipline approach is also the best of the four, but as stated no-magic is obviously an option. I'm thinking we could use this thread to create a sample character class and whatever skills and stats were needed for it, and then someone could playtest it in a group and feedback.
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Just a clarifying point: Would the disciplines be along the lines of Weapon Skill or Strength, or would they be skills like Frenzy or Stealth with a mage only requirment? (My vote would be strongly for the latter.)
The discipline idea has my vote anyway.

I've kind of grown found of the rogue mage idea, as I think the chance of being hunted down gives plenty of scope for a storyline... Although, if you're female, you could merely be a really low level Convent apprentice and avoid all the disembowellment problems of being an outlaw...

But if someone wants a playtester, I'd happily volunteer; it's not like my char. has a group anyway. :p
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

You know we don't get enough skill points to develop this in any meaningful way. :P

That said, I think the more outlandish encounters become, as is bound to happen with magic influencing play, the harder it will be to relate to such situations.
And this is coming from a guy that once released a single weave to grant my entire team Haste, Greater Invisibility, Flying, Bull's Strength and Cat's Agility, then proceeded to open a gateway to another plane the following turn.
I like the gritty, visceral action movie vibe we've got going right now. No magic for me.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Desmodeus wrote:Just a clarifying point: Would the disciplines be along the lines of Weapon Skill or Strength, or would they be skills like Frenzy or Stealth with a mage only requirment? (My vote would be strongly for the latter.)

The magical disciplines would be like quantified skills, yes. I'm not really sure we need a restriction on classes -- I find the restrictions on skills pointless as it is, but I digress. I see no harm in warriors learning some Life or whatnot to ease small wounds or ills, or Energy for small lighting; if they want to spend their training on lighting candles instead of learning not to get their head chopped off, well, I believe we should let them. :twisted:
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Sounds good to me. :D
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

So, assuming we would try it out with the disciplines just for a "trial run"... what is the next step?
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

At a minimum, we would need to:
  1. devise actual disciplines, their domains, and their applications;
  2. create a scale and system for these "skills";
  3. optionally set up a few example spells;
  4. create a new group with willing players: some who will take the disciplines, and some who will not;
  5. repeat until we hit a decent enough fixpoint.

The fourth point is important. We need to make sure that mages don't upset the system or upstage the other players. Non-magical characters get shafted all too often in many games, I feel, and we need to guard against this from the very onset.

Also, I imagine it requires some creativity on the side of the host to present problems or puzzles that can't always be solved by a breaking of the laws of physics known to us all too well, so hosting the game is not without its perils either.

It might even be advantageous to get all the hosts together for a guinea pig group like this. Who knows, we still have enough of them left for that. ;)

I'd also like to offer the opportunity to other hosts and, if possible, players to be heard on these ideas. I somehow remember more people having an outspoken opinion on the topic. Or perhaps age is finally catching up with me.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Tarbo wrote:At a minimum, we would need to:
  1. devise actual disciplines, their domains, and their applications;
  2. create a scale and system for these "skills";
  3. optionally set up a few example spells;
  4. create a new group with willing players: some who will take the disciplines, and some who will not;
  5. repeat until we hit a decent enough fixpoint.

Okay, so I'll just put out some ideas and we can go from there. I would be more than happy to participate in a mod magic test group, and would be happy to play as a non-magic character to test the balance of the new class were a proxy of it created here. I should hope at least some of the other mods would also be happy to join in.

Disciplines
Energy
Entropy
Destruction
Time
Life
Death
Air
Water
Fire
Earth
this sort of thing?