Figuring out chariots

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sturguard
Warrior

Figuring out chariots

Post by Sturguard »

I was wondering if you folks could help me with the rules regarding characters in chariots. On page 86 it details chariots, saying that the toughness, wounds and armor save are used of the chariot, not the crew, while the ws, str, intiative and attacks are used from the crew. No problems there.

When I reference page 105, it gets a bit fuzzy. So, I understand that characters and the chariot are separate in the fact that either one can be targeted in close combat. So-

If a character is in a chariot and is the target of close combat attacks, do they receive toughness 5 (from the cold one chariot)?

Since the rules say chariots also follow the rules for ridden monsters- do characters get +1 to their save, just like riding a monster. So, the chariot has an armor value of 3+ normally and that is what the crew gets, but in addition, the character gets 2+ because he is in the chariot. So, a naked dark elf master in a chariot has a 2+ armor save?

I am not trying to read anything into the rules or easter egg hunt, I just want to clarify. Chariot says use the armor of the chariot and toughness, ridden monster says the character gets +1 to his armor save. Also, if an enemy chooses to target the chariot instead of the character, I would guess most of his magic items would not come into play?

Anyhow, I appreciate your help in the matter. If that is indeed the case, I would augment one of the Lord builds to be:

Lord, Glittering Scales, Ring of Darkness, Fencing Blades, sea dragon cloak. Should give the character a 2+ armor save, t5, needing 6's to hit him in close combat, of course the enemy could destroy the chariot without needing 6's correct?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Hopefully this thread will help http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=65704&highlight=

Ended with this from Callisson:
Read the new book p.105, under "chariot mount".
It says that a character riding a chariot is just like a character riding a monster, except the monster reaction.
Meaning the two can be attacked and destroyed separately.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Sturguard
Warrior

Post by Sturguard »

It actually says "a chariot mount follows all the rules for both characters and chariot models"- then it further goes on to say it follows "all the rules for ridden monsters"

Chariot rules say the crew use the T, W and armor saves of the chariot- not crew.

Ridden Monsters say the character adds +1 to their armor save.

Hence a 2+.

I am sorry to dredge up an old thread (I apologize I didn't do a topic search) but there never was a definitive consensus on the armor save. Yes, I understand both the chariot and character are separate entities and can be killed independently of each other, I am mostly interested in the armor save question.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

In 7th (and I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed - why should it), the charcter could either use the chariot's armour save if it was better than his, or use his own armour save with a +1 bonus, if that happened to be the better one. Simple, really.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Sturguard
Warrior

Post by Sturguard »

Mr. Anderson, I have looked through the Armor Save section and the character section and have yet to find anything dealing with multiple armor saves. It certainly could have been a rule they left out.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

It is true they either left it out or there are no difference between a chariot mount and other ones covered. The way it's meant to work I believe is you get a +1 AS for being mounted, then the rules for monstrous mount is used so both can be targeted separately. The chariot rule probably is meant to cover the impact hits because a monstrous mount doesn't have impact hits. Then the character rules, well self explanatory there. That should be the way they intended chariots to work in conjunction with a character. It's ridiculous for an elf to have T5!!!
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued