Off to Europe - Revised from Europe

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Night rider
Shade

Off to Europe - Revised from Europe

Post by Night rider »

Hey guys, right on the edge of my first overseas trip (in 24 hours I'll be on my way to the Airport).

Going to; London, Amsterdam, day trip to Paris, Vienna, Berlin and Copenhagen.
Here's to hoping that the bug that hit the Virgin Blue terminal in Melbourne doesn't recur eh?
Last edited by Night rider on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
danceman wrote:I can just imagine Dave Attenborough going;

"...and as you can see the Alpha male moves with a commanding presence among the herd, ever watchful for any competing male who would challenge his mating-rights." :D
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Quite an impressive travel itinerary!

Hope you have fun :) Just no pretending to be a corsair while on the plane!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Noble_servaas
Trainee Warrior

Post by Noble_servaas »

see you in Amsterdam :)
Night rider
Shade

Post by Night rider »

Red... wrote:Quite an impressive travel itinerary!

Hope you have fun :) Just no pretending to be a corsair while on the plane!

Hehe yeah, gonna be a busy but fun 28 days :)

I will, lol don't worry I won't - I'll pry nod off to sleep shortly after takeoff (since the flight leaves at around 3am).

Noble_servaas wrote:see you in Amsterdam :)

May well do :)

"...and as you can see the Alpha male moves with a commanding presence among the herd, ever watchful for any competing male who would challenge his mating-rights." :D
Night rider
Shade

Post by Night rider »

Hi guys,

Well I've been to London and now I'm in Amsterdam :)

Today's a rest day after the frenetic pace we've been beating out - almost every night we've collapsed into bed and just about nodded off straight away (dad thinks we've been doing around 8-10kms per day).

London was pretty good, we saw: the British, Natural History and Science Museums, London Zoo, the Thames (via river boat), and the Tower.
There were some disappointments but overall it was a fun time and we got some nice little pick-ups. What surprised me the most was how, aside from on Saturday, how quiet London seemed to be.

In terms of flights... well 22-23 hours in the air is a long time, as your tail-bone will let you know (trust me) - realistically it's a consequence of living so far away from everywhere else *sighs*
Again there were good and bad elements (not sure if I should name the good and bad things here, you know?) but overall it was reasonable.

Having seen as much as I have I must say I really don't want to go back :(

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

So it looks that you discovered what is Old Europe:
crowded places all over, old buildings everywhere, deep layers of history piling up in all places... and strange way of speaking English.

The plane trip is a pain, but this is necessary to turn "down under" people over themselves so that their feet are pointing at the ground. :lol:

Amsterdam has fantastic museums: Naval museum, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum (but they pronounce that name strangely, by there). I'm not sure if you're old enough for a couple of other museums to be found around the red light disctict, though... I can only suggest a visit to the "Church in the attic" (17th century clandestine church in the attic of a rich catholic - in the middle of the red light district).

Do you know what you are going to see in Paris?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Night rider
Shade

Post by Night rider »

Calisson,

LOL I'd have to agree with you, except on one thing - until Saturday London really didn't seem packed at all. Wonderful experience so far :)

The plane trip was indeed a right royal pain. LOL - Oh very funny.

Yeah we plan to go see those Museums, oh I'm old enough just dunno if we'll find the time to get there - although not being comfy with heights might not see that one.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

until Saturday London really didn't seem packed at all.

Yes, outside of commuter hours and weekends, most of us poor Londoners are crammed into offices in the city districts, or recovering in the evenings at home from a day of being crammed into public transport and offices.

Try taking the northern line at 8am in central London and you'll get a new understanding of the word "crush".

Glad it's proving to be a fun trip :) The British Museum is a true gem.

and strange way of speaking English

Nah, that's the wrong way around. The English speak English (it's a give away in the name). Americans and Australians have a strange way of speaking English :P
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Night rider
Shade

Post by Night rider »

Red... wrote:
until Saturday London really didn't seem packed at all.

Yes, outside of commuter hours and weekends, most of us poor Londoners are crammed into offices in the city districts, or recovering in the evenings at home from a day of being crammed into public transport and offices.

Try taking the northern line at 8am in central London and you'll get a new understanding of the word "crush".

Yeah I can understand what you're saying, but I have to say I was sorta expecting it to be the same as Melbourne where it is almost ALWAYS busy even when it's not in rush-hour.

Heh, I can only imagine - must be like the Black Hole of Calcutta.

Red... wrote:Glad it's proving to be a fun trip :) The British Museum is a true gem.

So am I :)

Yeah it is, I was a little let down by their Japan exhibit but the rest was excellent :)

Red... wrote:
and strange way of speaking English

Nah, that's the wrong way around. The English speak English (it's a give away in the name). Americans and Australians have a strange way of speaking English :P

Exactly, the English speak English. Australians speak at best a dialect of English, at worst they speak Australian.