Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Red... & Dalamar:
Dance of Doom, Cry of War, CoB's ward save:
Khaine knows some ways to protect his true believers.
It seems that Vaelreth is not one of them?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

@Calisson and Dalamar:

That's actually true, I did a mental tally of all of the different protecty things (items, blessings, etc) that Khaine is associated with and found that there are a whopping eleven different protection things:

Pure protection:
- Blood shield (Cauldron Blessing): gives unit 5+ ward
- Dance of Doom (Gift of Khaine): gives model 5+ ward
- Hand of Khaine (Gift of Khaine): gives opponent -1 attack
- Cry of War (Gift of Khaine): Forces enemy leadership test or reduces WS by 1
- Witch brew (Gift of Khaine): No enemy CR bonus for flank or rear attacks or higher ground
- Parrying Blade (Hellebron's magic item): gives opponent -1 attack
- Amulet of Fire (Hellebron's magic item): 4+ save against first undispelled spell used against her each turn
- Attendants (Cauldron of Blood): "The Cauldron gives its attendants a 4+ ward save"
- MR1 on Cauldron of Blood (Cauldron of Blood): Gives +1 Ward Save versus magical attacks

Stealth as protection:
- Hidden (assassin ability): Assasin remains cloaked until revealed
- Cloak of Twilight (Gift of Khaine): Asassin can fly from A to B - escaping trouble if need be

I suppose you could also include the immune to panic side of frenzy on witch elves and the stubborn 12" bubble to all khainite units around the Cauldron as defensive too (seeing as they stop units from being negatively affected by enemy terror, panic inducing attacks, and losing combat etc).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Calisson wrote:If you wish to play Arhast's Spirit, you can. He will remain inside the cavern, until satisfied - probably he would like to witness a desirable event - guess what?
He cannot act physically on the "real" world. He can make quick, inarticulate sounds, as ghost usually do. He lacks the Body to talk. Sometimes, he can inspire a vision (once a day). He can answer questions if asked magically.
On the other hand, the ectoplasm's colour reflects the deeds during Life. Best guess is that Arhast's is quite dark. It can travel, it can see, but it has no longer intelligence and is no longer bounded with the Spirit. Not fun to play. Let it go.

I didn't want to actually RP as Arhast's spirit, I was just giving an excuse for my post detailing Arhast's death after you had already written it out yourself (which I had not realised at the time since when I started writing you hadn't posted)

Anyway, Arhast has peacefully moved on to his new beginning, or continuation, or ending, however the hell you like to look at it, and so he wouldn't hang around haunting you all, he is gone.

Nevertheless I will be watching the thread with interest to see how it turns out, and I look forward to the next one where I can exact a small measure of revenge on behalf of Arhast :twisted: and hopefully will manage to not trip and fall flat on my face and not flop out in the first round :roll:

Until next time guys!
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Malus99
You're welcome to snarl, but preferably in the pit. ;)

@ Kehl, @ Dalamar
I can't see anywhere that you used any kind of item, correct me if I am wrong.

Drainial wrote:OOC: I couldn't think of a decent reason for Tuesdays to be bad for her since she doesn't really have much concept of days of the week but she is tired and confused so it all balances out and this will still be an off day.
Inauspicious day: full moon, new moon, half moons (too geometric). Dedicated days: two days later, when the geometry has faded away, the moon looks more "natural" again. The cycle is 28 days, with minor adjustments.
Last edited by Calisson on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I just got back from work and realised I left the details out of my post - the spell Kairus intends to cast on the armour is called "Pann’s Inpenetrable Pelt" - make sense? ;)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

*notes with glee that so far two of the mages in this round have risked suicide as part of their demonstration - perhaps no one will need to go into the pit this round ;)*
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Ok I thought I'd give working out my own spell modifiers a go, Cal please correct me if I am wrong;

Spell: Magic Item Creation
Components: None

A -1
B +0 (Kairus makes gear normally)
C +1
D +2
E -2 (eternal - wants it to last forever)
F -2
G +1 (consecrated place)
H +1 (? spent a few hours at least)
I -2 (no component)
J +1
total -1
I don't understand how side effects applies.

Spell= Pann’s Inpenetrable Pelt
Components = Black Raven Feather

A +1 (protection?)
B +1
C +1
D +2
E -2 (eternal - wants it to work forever)
F -2
G +1
H +1 (spent a few hours at least)
I -1
J +1
total +3

Spell: The Flock of Doom (he is casting a very weak version, he is not trying to kill himself)
Component: None

A +0
B +1
C +1
D +2 (at himself)
E +2
F -2
G +0 (not consecrated, will be outside the tower so I assume hard ground)
H -1 (1 second prep and casting)
I -2
J +0 (will loudly utter the spell and command it to boomerang)
total +1
Again, you've lost me with the side effects...

Let me know if I worked that out right.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I thought consecrated place was now +0.5 rather than +1?

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Glad you did it. Too bad I did it already.

Spell: Magic Item Creation
Components: None

A -1
B +0 (Kairus makes gear normally) No, -1, you're not that used to create magic items.
C +1
D +2
E -2 (eternal - wants it to last forever)That is fancy, I thought 1 year was enough.
F -2
G +1 (consecrated place)No, +0 as the time is not consacrated. It's AND not OR. Or shall we change that?
H +1 (? spent a few hours at least)
I -2 (no component)
J +1
total -1
I don't understand how side effects applies.See here, bottom of the post.

Spell= Pann’s Inpenetrable Pelt
Components = Black Raven Feather

A +1 (protection?)
B +1
C +1
D +2
E -2 (eternal - wants it to work forever)No, make it +0: you can cast it again every day for free!
F -2
G +1 see above
H +1 (spent a few hours at least)
I -1
J +1
total +3

Spell: The Flock of Doom (he is casting a very weak version, he is not trying to kill himself)
Component: None

A +0
B +1
C +1
D +2 (at himself)
E +2
F -2
G +0 (not consecrated, will be outside the tower so I assume hard ground)
H -1 (1 second prep and casting)
I -2
J +0 (will loudly utter the spell and command it to boomerang)
total +1
Again, you've lost me with the side effects...
Excellent!
Let me know if you understand the side effects, now.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Calisson wrote:@ Kehl, @ Dalamar
I can't see anywhere that you used any kind of item, correct me if I am wrong.

Vaelreth's magic item is a diadem, sitting on her head. She just needs to think to use it, or did you expect the item had to be touched or waved and pointed? Shadow magic is more subtle than that.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Kaladeth's using the ring she made, she punched it forward while making a hand gesture like a claw of a beast from the otherworld and shouted the name of the daemon (Kharaidon) it calls upon to activate the rings power.

Or wasn't I clear enough in the OOC post/edit I made?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Kehl, @ Dalamar
Apologies for my question, which was very badly written.
I meant that during the process of casting a spell to create a magic item,
followed by a second spell which will be tied to the said magic item,
you are not using any component?
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Ah sorry, I see what you mean. And no, I'm not using any of my components. I think I've already used enough to last me several weeks haha, and all in the first day. :)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I thought I specified it clearly, the Essence of the Deepest Shadows is embedded into the item, possibly consuming it in the process.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Any chance of the next challenge being more competitive Cal? Or have you got a fiendish plan already laid out for us? It might help give a decent reason for people to vote one way or the other, besides life mages who regard shoes as high tech don't like making things :( .
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Guys, I am really sorry but it would appear I spoke too soon :( (Khainedamnit ...) There is no way I can get mobile broadband to work up here. There's not even a signal I can *cough* borrow for a little while! That's why I could not post last night. I have managed to get to a library but I have half an hour and there's no way I can do all the creative stuff I need in that time to keep playing - and it's shut on Sundays anyway!

It's a nice holiday from the point of view of everything else, but a bit of a disaster for my roleplaying, as I had to cancel the game I run online last night too :(

Calisson, thanks for running such a fun game but I'm afraid the Power of Metal goldsmith is going to have to drop out. I'd kind of like him not to die, but I'd understand if he gets an automatic pitting for this! :D Whatever is the easist / most sensible / most fun way to get him out of the way.

Thanks to you all for a creative and challenging game, I look forward to reading it all when I get back to sunny Chester :D

17 minutes left online!
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Syjahel
OK, you're out of the game for that day.
No need for a pit.
I'll move on the third day without the goldsmith, and we'll see what happens for you later.

@ Dalamar
OK, I realize only now that I made the computations skipping the "I" item for that spell, directly from "H" to "J". As I=0, did not matter for the first try... except it was a miss and I tried again, with no other modifier. Never mind, your precious component worked fine several times, it seems!

@ all
Modifying what I had prepared.
The third day will be out tonight.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Second day OOC results.

@ smiler666
OK for the extra gold.
Nice to see wisdom coming to one of the Candidates, along with baldness.
Consumed an unnatural component.

Magic item:
A.-1. B.-1.C.+1. D.+2. E.-1. F.-2. G.+0. H.+1. I.+1. J.+0. K.+0. Total +0. Cast on 2+ thanks to fluff bonus. Rolled 2+, with the unnatural component, it is cast. Side effect pestilence, but the sulfuric smell will fade away after a few months.

Flame cage: A.+0. B.+0. C.+0, 12 persons. D.+0 visual. E.+1, 6 seconds. F.-2. G.+0. H.+1. I.-2. J.+1. K.+0. Total 0+. Success.

In the evening, the spell is autocast, but it allows a resistance. The slave failed his I test and is badly burnt… for 6 seconds, enough time to flame his clothes even as the magic flames cease.

@ Syjahel
Let’s assume that the smith was too ill to move from his shack that day. He will not participate to anything, will not be sent to the pit and will not gain a magic item (not even the electrum bar and the gold bar).

@ Kinslayer
There’s no tree on the island, therefore there’s no flat tree stump either.
As you seem to wish it hard, next time I see you using a tamed raven, I will have you cast the taming spell on your “sea raven” friend.

Spell: Immobilization. A.+1 (yes it’s movement). B.+1 (former rulebook, spell #4). C.+1. D.+0. E.+1 6 min.
F.-2. G.+0. H.+0. I.-2. K.+0. No fluff bonus, 4+.
1st one: miss. Detrimental side-effect: aggressiveness, so you want to kill another one with magic.
2nd one: miss. 3rd one: cast. Detrimental side-effects for the same duration: nothing serious.
The seal can’t move for 6 minutes. You have just to concentrate on it while you walk. A stab on the head, dead seal.

Total time village-beach-village: ½ hour.
The dragon footprints are at 4 hours walking distance, 2 hours running. You can run with the seal skin, that’s tiresome but feasible. Don’t push too hard, though, you’re only S3 now.
The pine trees are not “real”, they are made of pure Ghur energy. Kairus sees them as if they were real, though.

To make the armor magic:
A.-1. B.-1. C.+1. D.+2. E.-1 (1 year). F.-2. G.+0++. H.+1. I.-1. J.+0. K-1 terrible. Total -2. +fluff-I, cast on 5+.
Result: 6! :D. Side effect: deafness for 7 years. Let’s make it a loss of 30dB, like the Cultist.
Lost 1 common item.
Insert magic resistance in the armor:
A+1. B+1. C+1. D+2. E+0. F-2. G+0++. H+1. I-2. J+1. K-1. +2 to cast. Done! Side effect negligible.

Magic missile, in the evening:
A.+0. B.+1. C.+1 (light wound at 1 person). D.+0. E.+2 (6 seconds). F.-2. G.+0. H.+0. I.-2. J.+0. K.+0. Cast on 4+, no adverse conditions as the spell is real short lived.
First one missed but did not roll a 1. Second rolled 6. Margin 3. Resistance test is an I test, with +2 bonus thanks to armor. Result 3, provides a 1 margin. The MM was cast allowing an easy resistance (+2) so the MM was indeed resisted.

@ Drainial
Turning the staff into a magic lance.
A.-1. B.-1. C.+1. D.+2. E.-1. F.-2. G.+/-0. H.+1. I.+0. J.+0. K.+0, total -1. Result: 6: exceptional! :D
Side effect: 3 permanent spitting: what she sees around her disgusts her.

Giving the lance its spell.
A+0. B+1. C+1. D+2. E+1 6 minutes. F.-2. G.+/-0. H.+1. I-1. J+1. K+2. For an autocast.
Pleasant side effect: a nice herbal and flower perfume lasting as long as she wishes, till she achieves anything.

@ Dalamar
Recasting the armchair of shadows:
A-1. B-1. C+1. D+2. E+0. F-2. G+0. H+0. I-2. J+0. K+1 terrible. -2 to cast.
First try missed, second try cast. Side-effects till midnight were infantilism + severe aging, cancelling each other! :) :roll:

Next, creation of the magic object.
A.-1. B.-1. C.+1. D+2. E-1. F-2. G+0++. H+1. I+0. J-2. K+1 terrible. -2 to cast.
First try missed, spasms resulting, with 50% chances to interrupt any spell requiring 1 hour to cast.
Trying again, interrupted four times by spasms, losing 4 hours. The fifth time, cast, finally!

Next, the spell to bound to the circlet:
A+1. B+1. C+1. D+0. E+1 (6 minutes). F-2. G+0++. H+0. I-2. J+1. K.+0. +1 to cast. Result 2, cast thanks to fluff bonus.
Side effect exhaustion for 45 minutes.

@ Khel
As said, a single spell to make the ring, another one to be soaked into the ring.
If I’m not mistaken, no component was destroyed in the process.

A.-1 magic object. B.-1. C.+1. D.+2. E.-1, let’s make it 1 year (“until they were dead”).
F.-2. G.+1. H.+1. I.-2. J.+0. K+1 terrible. Total -1. Cast on 3+ thanks to the fluff.
Result: 3.
Side effect: aggressiveness for the next 7 years.

Second spell. Casting doombolt.
A.+0. B.+1. C.+0 (deep wounds for 12 persons). D.+0 (visual distance). E.+0 (wounds lasting till midnight).
F.-2. G.+1. H.+1. I.-2. J.+1. K.+0. Total +0. Cast on 2+ thanks to fluff bonus.
Success. The side effect is a loud noise, something like a bell. With echoes lasting for a long time (same time as the effects, actually).

@ Red…
First part: making a magic object.
A-1. B-1. C+1. D+2. E-1 (1 year). F-2. G+0++. H+1. I+0. J+0. K+1 terrible. Total -1.
Rolled 5, cast. Side effect 6, infantilism for 7 years. You become childish.

Second part: casting the spell inside the magic object.
A+1. B+1. C+1. D+1. E+1 (6 minutes, the heat of the battle). F-2. G.+0++. H.+1. I-2 (no component). J+1. K-1 mild. Spell autocast at +2. Side effect: sweating (no wonder! ;) ).

@ all.
I probably made a couple of mistakes here and there.
If you try to figure out your spell and can't find the same +/-1, you may be right, ask me. I will not change the result of the day, but you're here to learn, too.

I will change slightly one condition, to reflect how most of you have understood it (the totals above were made with the original one in mind).

G. Location & timing. (changes in capital letters)
+1: consecrated place (pentacle...); OR dedicated time (no more than 1 day a week); OR BOTH.

@ all
So far, you have discovered a few facts:
- hard spell, harsh side effect - soft spell, negligible side effect.
- the longer lasting the spell, the longer lasting the side effect
- the fancier the spell, the harsher the side effect

Conclusion:
- Cast spells lasting the minimum you need. Better cast again every day than suffer from a long lasting side-effect.
- Cast in priority GW spells - it hurts less.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

...and suddenly took fire along with his equipment.

Wait whut?... I intended for the flame cage to appear around Marcelus as a defence against whatever was attacking him rather than a surprise attack, I guess there has been a bit of miscommunication. I always like to have ward saves on my wizards ;)
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

That's what you have.
I took the BRB's description and adapted the best I could.
Twisting the spell that much would have been less easy to cast... :twisted:
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Can you please explain the side effects, how they are calculated and then how the specific side effect is selected? I might have missed something but I re-read it and still don't understand.

For example, why did Kairus lose 1 S? Did you just decide that is what he would lose? How can I get it back? Dragging the dead seal should of been a bit of a work out, do I need to do more?

Also, I asked for Kairus to immobilise the seal and then slit its throat with an arrow from his short-bow, weeping at the sadness of such an act. I am strongly against seal clubbing.

http://www.peta2.com/outthere/images/al ... alAd72.jpg
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

You become childish.

Hehe, I think my wife would tell you that this particular side effect happened many years ago... ;)

Super long day - tired. Will post more soon :)

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ FAQ: Side effects:
You total the bonus/malus before the side effects
Divide by two, round down if necessary, change the sign.

Example 1:
total A trough J is -3 (you're trying something a little bit too difficult, such as summoning a dragon with a snap in the finger).
Divided by two = -1.5
Rounded down = -1
Chance sign = +1
The side effect will be +1 terrible.
The final bonus will be -3 (former total) +1 (K.) = -2.

Example 2:
total A trough J is +5 (you're trying something very easy with a lot of power, such as asking Morathi to sacrifice a CoB in order to cast doombolt).
Divided by two = +2.5
Rounded down = +2
Chance sign = -2
The side effect will be -2 pleasant.
The final bonus will be +5 (former total) -2 (K.) = +3.

Therefore, side effects have always the consequence to move the total closer to +0.

This is why I said:
- hard spell, harsh side effect - soft spell, negligible side effect.
- the fancier the spell, the harsher the side effect
- Cast in priority GW spells - it hurts less.

Do you understand also that side effects last more for long duration spells?
Mild side effects: last 1/10th of the duration of the spell.
Detrimental side effects: same duration as the spell.
Terrible side effects: last 7 times as long as the spell.

This is why I said:
- the longer lasting the spell, the longer lasting the side effect
- Cast spells lasting the minimum you need. Better cast again every day than suffer from a long lasting side-effect.

The main reason why Mages don't spend all day casting spells is not miscasts. It is because there is always some annoying side effect, unless the spell was really easy to cast (therefore not very powerful).
Wise Mages try to use the spells they know best in priority.
Wise Mages try to cast spells only for the minimal amount they need, because they will receive the minimal side effect.
Wise mages are particularly vigilant at the duration of the spell, because if the spell last minutes not years, the side effect will last minutes not years.

@ Kinslayer
Your loss of S was not a side effect! It was the result of a micast.
The spell roll was 6.
The side effect roll was 6.
6 + 6 = miscast.
I rolled to know which miscast and the result was 2, loss of 1 S.
My miscasts are much easier than GW miscasts.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ all
For the next day's challenge, there will be two teams.
For the sake of clarity, I consider to run two separate threads, rather than having the two groups melted in the present gaming thread.
At the end, we will be back to the main thread (with hyperlinks, needless to say).
Is there any argument against that idea?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Works for me, you're the boss. If it's first come first served it looks like we have our first team; Life, Beasts and Fire versus Blood, Dark and Shadow.

Bring it on :twisted: