All Cav Army - Discussion

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rickymartinwannabe
Slave on the Altar

All Cav Army - Discussion

Post by Rickymartinwannabe »

I currently play chaos(tzeentch) although I am starting a DE army. I was wondering what other poeple do to combat the now famed ( at least in my group ) HE all Cav army.

my regular oponent Fields such an army, typically 3 chariots, 3 units of silverhelms and a unit of dragon princes. 1 BSB, and 2 or more mages.

The games are typically quick, uninteresting and I almost always lose if we play anything over 1500 pts.

I can't say I have a high opinion of this type of army, its a one trick army and quite frankly no fun to play against, even when I win. Just the same tactic over and over again. I think I'd rather just roll some dice next time to see who wins and not bother unpacking my minnies.

Anyways, I would like to get some opinions on how to overcome such an army. I have tried using screens of dogs, spawn. etc etc but haven't had much success. I recently got a Galrauch model which i think I may convert to have my lord riding upon it. I'll get the charge on the bastard one way or the other! It is not my gaming style, I like to have lots of troops to play with and not tie to much into any one character or unit. But I got to try something! next game I believe I will drop my knights and load up on dogs and small units. Eat a charge or two and then HOPEFULLY be in a good position for a countercharge. Thats the best I can come up with.

Cheers!
Lord ivory
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord ivory »

Yeah that army is pretty hard
but a tzeentch Dragon with lev4 sorcerer
and 3 lev 2 sorcerer could do well against them
how will he defeat your dragon(I mean the one with a3+ ward-save
against shooting)
You'll attack him and what will cause him somme damage elves with strenght 3???
;)

But i think if you like playing with alot of troops Druchii and tzeentch arent the best
decision
Dying is easy coming back is much harder
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Well, I'd say go for a nice bunch of chosen knights as he has nothing that can really do them in and they can make mincemeat out of elven cavalry. A dragon would also be very bad for him as well, and even your own chariots with S7 chamions can take out his pretty easily and also do some good damage to his cavalry units.

I'll move this to WGD (wargaming discussion) so you can get a better response as this is not Druchii related.

BTW, welcome to the site! :D
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Powerfulfawn
Cold One Knight

Post by Powerfulfawn »

I kinda like the idea of an all cavalry army, especially with the HE's best models being the SHs and the DPs, but i didn't realise it was that boring to play :cry: ,
Anyway, i'm sure i could work out some interesting tactics if i had one :twisted:
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I would go with a lot of CW's on foot coupled with units of marauder horse to protect you flanks. High elf cavalry is only strength 5 on the charge. Although against most enemies that's pretty good, dragon princes and silver helms will have serious trouble breaking toughness 4, high armor save CWs on the charge. Either give them hand weapon and shiled to max out the armor save, or great weapons to punch back and chop down some knights.

Use 4 relatively small units of marauder horsemen to protect your flanks. You can advance a unit or two to draw out charges (always be far enough away to flee and escape), hopefully pulling the unit in a direction away from your infantry or into a sot to get flank charged by another cavalry unit. Keep one unit of cavalry in reserve on each flank to charge enemy cavlry that advance into a threatening position.

Combine these troops with some Tzeentch characters slkinging spells and you're in business.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Hello, welcome to druchii.net, enjoy your stay.

Chosen knights are always hard for Elves to kill, so try a unit of them used in conjunction with some marauder horsemen to lure enemy units into charge range.

Don't know much about Chaos so that's about all I can offer.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I play a Slaanesh army as my second choice and I use a lot of DE tactics, the main one being to use units to bait his chargers.

Try this, take 2 units of Dogs, position 1 at 45 degrees right in front of his DPs and a second one abot 3 or 4" behind and at the same angle. He destroys the first unit in the first round of combat and overuns into the second where he has to stop. Your turn now and he has offered you his flank into which you charge your Knights, or a character in a chariot. The result - dead DPs.
Rickymartinwannabe
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rickymartinwannabe »

Thanks for the tips lads, I'll try that dog trip. I've done something similair with a spawn as well, got the spawn close enough to c harge in and hold a unit up for a turn or two, but I needed some lucky rolling to do that!

Cheers
Uraithen
Warrior

Post by Uraithen »

this is my DE army

LORDS

Highborn (125) mounted on a coldone (39), lance (6), halberd (6), heavy armour (6), sea dragon cloak (9), crown of black iron (35)
226 pts

HEROES

Sorceress (90) mounted on a dark steed (12), level 2 upgrade (40), seal of ghrond (25), dispel scroll (25)
192 pts

Sorceress (90) mounted on a dark steed (12), level 2 upgrade (40), power stone (25), dispel scroll (25)
192 pts

CORE

5 Dark riders (90), repeater crossbows (30)
120 pts

120 pts

120 pts

SPECIAL

11 Harpies (143)
143 pts

5 coldone knights (145), full command (45)
190 pts

5 coldone knights (145), full command (45)
190 pts

9 coldone knights (261), full command (45)
306 pts

RARE

Reaper bolt thrower with 2 crew (100)
100 pts

Reaper bolt thrower with 2 crew (100)

TOTAL: 1999 pts

then just look how good this list was......... !lol!
"WE ARE THE MOST CIVILISED RACE IN THE WORLD. WE HAVE MORE EXQUISITE WAYS TO KILL THAN ANY OTHER."
Lateo
Noble

Post by Lateo »

Forgive me for complaining but I think Chosen Knights are cheesy. Actually I know they arent but I alwasy end up yelling about it everytime I play against them.... :(
music