Group 28

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Jacks' perseverance finally had some reward as a few carefully placed bolts finally found its way into the fleshy and more sensitive areas of the Jabberwock. One shot finally hit and blinded one eye, it dying just from that is far from expected, but it would help them in defeating it, or at least flee if it goes on a rampage from being completely blind.

Regardless, such cowardice wasn't needed, not when we had the rash noble and Cananatra succumbing to such acts himself, in battle. Carathyle seemed to know when an opportunity was present, leaping up moments after Jacks' volley. His sword plunged painfully deep into the beast, with relative ease too.

"That's a fancy sword." he thought to himself as he watched.

Jacks had always thought Carathyle's special obsidian sword being nothing more than a mundane heritage item or something, since it never how shown such a keen edge before. Regardless, there were more pressing matters to attend to right now than to ponder on his weapon, like his life. The Jabberwock, whilst struggling now, had decided to ignore its immediate threats and charge straight for himself. It was a somewhat unexpected move, but Jacks had been tense and in position to evade such a ploy ever since it appeared.

Training and natural reflexes allowed him to bound safely out of the way, much to his relief. Rolling over and gracefully recovering back into a crouch, one open palm rested onto the dirt ground for balance whilst his other hand made held his Repeater steady as its heavy wooden shaft rested on his shoulder. He was ready to either evade another swipe or to swap out for his Handbow and a throwing dagger since the Jabberwock was getting close and personal with Jacks. It wasn't what he liked, since once again, he isn't armoured like the rest of his companions, but he will trust his evasive skills like every other time.

Thankfully, it didn't need to come to that, as it seemed that last unexpected charge was the Jabberwock's last attempt to take someone with it. Jacks was still tense, because he doesn't know what might still happen, a dying twitch or slight trashing will still kill Jacks as much as when it's still alive. He hopped back a few paces to give himself some safe distance from the creature, his Repeater now reloaded and in a ready position. He waited, cautious and ears focused on any further strange sounds from beyond as well as from the Jabberwock.

Jacks will keep a fair distance from the 'dead' Jabberwock and will be ready to act if it does something funny. Otherwise, wait for the adrenaline rush to die off from the group and move on according to Syjahel's suggestions/orders.

Jacks will also look it over and perhaps take a chunk of its rocky armour to inspect, or of anything else that catches his eye.

OOC: Come on, a dragon surely has epic loots! jokes :P
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

The beast was dead through a combination of Druchii perseverance, unorthodox strategy and simply wearing it down. Syjahel cast an eye over her band and checked that no-one was injured. Showing the favour of Khaine, everyone had only minor scrapes and bruises, her own aching ribs included. The warrior-noblewoman took a moment to steady herself and catch her breath.

Seijl and Jacks were keeping a vigilant eye out for any new threats out of their collective bedtime stories, so she nodded to Cananatra, who seemed well enough from his short flying lesson. Schooled in the ways of Dark Elf combat she didn't waste time fussing if the soldier wasn't in need of assistance. Touching the wooden talisman around her neck in its fine silver casing she said.

"Shame about your shield. Still, you know what they say, better it than you."

Unfortunately commiseration was all she could provide this far from Sultra's army, so she turned to Carathyle with a glance at the obsidian sword he'd been favouring. Now that she'd finally seen the blade in use, and it was obviously no mere fancy weapon. In fact, rare as the sight was, the entire band could see Syjahel looking very slightly impressed, which for a Druchii noble is virtually with her jaw on the floor.

"Now I've seen the blade in action I see why you favour it so."
As the adrenaline was still surging a little through her veins, she flashed a grin and added, "I've tried a stunt like that or two in my time. I never quite had the blade to pull it off like that, though - we'll have to discuss where one gets such a sword as that some time."

"It seems a fair assumption -" part of her couldn't believe she was saying that, but she hoped it would be understood to mean, 'relative to the gods-forsaken wilderness in which we find ourselves' - "that this might be our way forward. Jacks, Seijl, what do you make of this?" She kicked the tree by way of indication, though not so hard as to bruise a toe. "Could one of you scale it and take a look where that thing came from? I'd like the other to make a close perimeter check in case the noise has attracted something. The rest of us can stand ready to take on anything you might find."

In addition to this, she began to circle the tree warily, looking for any signs of an entrance or anything strange - well, more strange.

Ask one Shade to scout out the immediate area, tell the other to go climb a tree, warriors to look for trouble and poke the branches and generally see if it's a gate to fairyland. Those are milady's suggestions :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Carathyle maveric »

Spinning the Obsidian Sword around, Carathyle lowered his guard for a small part as the Jabberwock crumbled before them, even though the scratches on his armor that the creature created in its final minutes were proof of Carathyle still being cautious. "Incredible." Carathyle thought out loud as he turned his gaze at the obsidian sword in his hand, wondering what else it could do, before his thoughts were interrupted by Syjahel, who appeared to be admiring the sword for some reason. With a grin, Carathyle merely exclaimed, "Old Maveric secret, milady. One that co-exists with the brashness of my heritage." Sheathing the sword, Carathyle turned toward his fellow warriors, noticing Cananatra's shield being broken. "Seems the role of being brash suits me more then it suits you Cananatra. None the less, I couldn't have done that without your dagger."

Turning himself toward the dropped shield, Carathyle walked over to it, picking it up and strapped it to his arm once more, before turning his eyes toward the large tree. "When will this hunt end? Syjahel, is it really this regular that Nylia is kidnapped?" Carathyle looked around cautiously, stepping away from the forest lines and toward the large tree, even though that wasn't as secure as he would like.

Have a short conversation with the other warriors, perhaps(if he feels like it) explain a bit of the Maveric backstory(leaving out the High Elf tutor for obvious reasons!), if something attacks, draw sword and hope for the best.

OOC: Yeah, Maveric secret... stealing the obsidian collection of his father as a form of revenge... what a secret.

Carathyle Maveric:(Group 28 Warrior)
Ws:5 S:4 T:3 D:4 I:3
Equipment:
Enchanted* Obsidian Long sword, MC Light armour, Dark Steed(Sephirah), Shield, MC Longbow(89 arrows), 56 Circlets, Maibed Dagger, Asur Spear and Disguise.
Skills: Ride, Acrobatics
*Increased Strength, holds the soul of his father
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

"Occasionally brash is called for in combat." Cananatra paused for a moment and smiled slightly. "Note I did say occasionally. You make use of it perhaps somewhat more than occasionally Carathyle."

Walking over he pulls his dagger free and looks with interest at the Jabberwock. "Typically I avoid hide shields, but perhaps this time the hide may be somewhat more effective. At least more so than no shield."

Cananatra will attempt to use the remaining 2/3 of his shield to fashion a hide shield by adjusting the straps, modifying the shield with his axe and stretching jabberwock hide over the wooden frame. He'll use Jabberwock blood to keep the hide supple until its in place and then let it dry. The wood should have enough give to flex but be stiff enough to prevent the hide from shattering. It may end up being a kick ass small shield, or it could shatter when first used, but sure whats to lose? After that follow whatever the open path forward seems to be.
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

"...Syjahel, is it really this regular that Nylia is kidnapped?"

Syjahel frowned a little at this. The old Lord had had his share of bad luck no doubt, but now everything was revealed as part of a much larger game. Just as she'd suspected, although there was no way the warrior-woman could have guessed the exact shape of the politics behind the kidnapping. She had always wondered if the girl's mother had been involved, but while that might be close the truth, if that is what it was, was far more complicated.

"Yes it is," she said simply, looking at Carathyle for a moment. Even with Cananatra being the oldest of them, they were all very much younger and correspondingly less steeped in politics than Sultra. Would Carathyle have grasped the implications of the old noble's actions? "In fact as you and I both know, hundreds of years trying to settle this problem 'in-house' - and failing ... well, I'm sure I don't need to spell out for you th implications of not revealing a Tzeentchian Sorceress to Malekith. The Witch King's laws are unambiguous on that point. Sultra was a Black Guard. He'd know this. I just hope we really do settle the matter this time, or we are all in a very difficult position politically."

With characteristic black Druchii humour she added,

"Given that we all survive, of course."

Syjahel will talk with Carathyle about his family history as time allows, taking a genuine interest in the story. History and heritage are very important to an old family like hers.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

"Tzeentch, Chaos god of Change. The moment that name fell explained why shape-shifters, changelings and abominations were all we faced on this journey after Naylia's disappearance. And personally, I find myself in a difficult spot as well when it comes to the possible aftermath. Either we succeed, and end this whole problem right away, or we succeed yet the sorceress escapes, or we fail and all of us die." Carathyle looked at Cananatra as he revised his shield with the skin of the Jabberwock. "I doubt the last. All of us are good on our own at our own specialty. But the moment the Sorceress escapes... then what? It's our obligation to the Witch King that we report such a blasphemer, yet that would mean taking Naylia's father away. A child, Druchii or not, shouldn't be raised without family."

Eying at the Jabberwock, Carathyle wondered whether that was a creature of Tzeentch as well. The Jabberwock. Jacks and Seijl told us to be wary of it, but it was taken down with relative ease. It's either a young one, or it was our luck in play.

Equipment:
Enchanted* Obsidian Long sword, MC Light armour, Dark Steed(Sephirah), Shield, MC Longbow(89 arrows), 56 Circlets, Maibed Dagger, Asur Spear and Disguise.
Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

"Personally Carathyle, what Malekith is or isn't told by a noble house is of little concern to me. Whether we succeed or not is likewise irrelevant, so long as we live. Now granted I'm not of noble blood like yourself or Syjahel, so my views on the matter are likely different." He paused to fiddle some more with the shield. "I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that we are, essentially, nameless and faceless mercenaries and I doubt if Malekith is even aware of our existence, or if he'd give a damn if he was. That is a situation I would like to remain the same. If this whole mission in the end places us at odds with Malekiths rulings I would far prefer to just slip away and find another job rather than walking up to him and letting him know we've been part of something he really isn't going to like."

Cananatra looked up at Carathyle and Syjahel. "Not overly patriotic, but I got that out of my system in Lustria."
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The great beast died more easily than the shades had first though, their little group had grown quite strong in their adventures together. Not strong enough to leave completely unscathed however and as soon as it became clear that the Jabberwock would not be making any miraculous resurgence Cananatra fetched his dagger and set it to work flaying the thick hide of the Jabberwock. Repairing his shield with the strange stone fur hide would be an experimental project and one he had little time for but his fighting style revolved around his shield and he needed something serviceable. As he worked Jacks also took an interest in the corpse, he had no particular plan but when else would he get the chance to examine the corpse of a Jabberwock? Starting with the stone fur he found little of note, at least little they had not already seen from afar, though he took a small piece anyway. As he was looking over the rest however Jacks made a startling discovery. His crossbow bolt was still lodged in the Jabberwock's left eye however before him the right eye seemed to glimmer and harden becoming stone, a gem. Intrigued Jacks set to prying the eye/jewel free.

As for the rest their conversation turned first to Carathyle's blade and then to their political predicament. In the end there seemed little they could do about it save carry out their mission as best they could. If Tachar and the rest of house Dalvar could be destroyed here and now by Sultra's forces then all would be well enough, if not then Syjahel's patriotism could well land the rest of them in hot water. On to practical matters though Cananatra raised an interesting point while trying to figure out how to attach the bloody hide so that it would not simply fall off as soon as battle was met.
“So, what’s the betting there’s a way into that tree?” Syjahel at any rate thought it a notion worth investigating though Gil'naresh's instructions had not mentioned any such thing. On the other hand they had not mentioned stone hided monsters either.

Seijl showed little desire to speak or investigate the Jabberwock and so at the captain's request examined the Tum-Tum tree. The base seemed normal enough, or normal as applied to this extraordinary place. Jacks was making the greater discovery. Plucking the hardened stone eye from the Jabberwock's hideous head Jacks held the gem in the palm of his hand. As he did so his world shifted, his vision twisting. Looking around the scene was in essence mush the same as before, his companions, the trees, the ground, all were there but where before they stood in true colour now that was changed. The ground was flat and grey as was the cooling beast beneath his feet but the trees shone with a silver light. His companions though glowed from within a glorious gold and Jacks knew instinctively that it was life that he saw. Oddly Carathyle's blade shone an ethereal blue. This startling discovery came into use almost immediately, looking over towards Seijl beginning to climb the Tum-Tum tree Jacks glanced upwards and saw golden shapes swarming through the upper branches. No sooner did he yell out a warning than a large bird leapt from on high, its wings fluttering, and pounced with outstretched talons at Seijl. Plummeting down the Jubjub bird landed square on the shade's chest, claws tearing at his leather armour. The master crafted leather kept away the worst of it but as the beak descended Seijl was powerless to prevent it ripping away a strip of skin from his shoulder. As Seijl struggled with his attacker more of the creatures emerged, half leaping half gliding down from the branches to make their way towards the mercenaries.

Jacks has the eye of the Jabberwock, a magic item which allows him to see life energy when held, this works though inanimate objects though the range is limited, He can see an elf behind a door but a rat behind a castle wall will not show up. Generally speaking the bigger the creature the easier it is to see (more life energy). Plants can be seen but are less distinct.

Cananatra has succeeded in reinforcing his shield with the stone hide but as he is not a craftsman it is a temporary fix. He will not know how well it works until it sees combat.

Seijl is pinned to the ground and is lightly wounded by a Jubjub bird, a five foot dodo like creature with a large sharp beak and talloned feet making it capable of climbing and short glides. It is too heavy for true flight. In addition eight others have arrived and are attacking the rest of the group making nine in total. -Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

After confirming the Jabberwock was truly dead, Jacks decided to observe the creature, perhaps its scales could give him a better understanding of the trees and this strange surrounding they're in. The scales simply crumbled, there was nothing of great interest there, but its remaining eye caught his attention, turning into what seemed like yet another gem stone for him to collect, he turned his attention into prying it out. Turns out it was worthwhile after all, his surroundings changed, it didn't take Jacks long to work out what all the new colours represented, but it will take some time to work out what colours meant what form of life.

However, there were more immediate matters, such as Seijl's safety, the careless Shade was climbing into danger. Thanks to a timely shout, Seijl wasn't taken by complete surprise.

Reacting instinctively, Jacks pocketed his new magical artefact and aimed his Repeater Crossbow once again, more trials to overcome, more prey to skewer with precise sharp bolts, all to hone his skills for that day.

Jacks will put the Eye of the Jabberwock away safely and draw out his Repeater Crossbow and aim it at the Jubjub bird(s) that are attacking Seijl to try and get them off him.

Unless there's some charging at Jacks, which he'll aim at first before evading any that get to him.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

OOC: Drainial, don’t forget Cananatra’s mother made leather armour for a living, so while not a craftsman Cananatra would know the basics of working hide.

IC: The shield construction was going well or at least relatively well. The blood of the Jabberwock caked his hands as he attempted to affix the hide to the shield. The skin handled strangely as he stretched it into shape. It was almost as if it couldn’t decide if it was rock or skin from one moment to the next. Hopefully it would work out though. While he worked the others wandered about, though Cananatra briefly lost sight of Jacks as he circled the jabberwocky.

Just as he was finishing he heard a brief yell and spun to face the tree. Something was moving down to attack the shade, some sort of giant bird. Giant birds. I’ve dealt with those before, though those ones where mutated from books, and these seem to have been rolled out by a child with no idea of bird proportions. Dragging his newly mended shield into place Cananatra pulled clear his sword, snarling slightly at the tacky feeling of half dried blood on his hands. He’d have to give the blade a good once over later. Pulling his arm back he made for the nearest bird on the ground. As he passed jacks he called out, “This another of your bed-time stories shade?” No time to play around, lets take this thing out. He thought to himself as he rushed forward. He might even be able to help the shade, though that was something of a secondary consideration.

Cananatra will charge towards the nearest bird and swing at its neck with his sword. Having fought giant birds in the past (though ones that could fly, previous group) he’s aware that it’s good to aim for their scrawny necks. He’ll use his shield to ward off any incoming blow, or rely on his armour to deal with anything he can’t stop with the shield.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

There was some consideration given to the politics of the situation in which they found themselves, perhaps more than Syjahel expected. In a sense the others were right: for anyone not a noble it was likely they would not be expected to do anything more than follow orders and ranks. For her, it was likely to be more complicated - such are the problems of station to go with its privileges. There wasn't time to dwell on it long, which only went to prove her father's old saying: Most problems are soluble in blood.

On investigation the tree was not empty. Seijl confirmed this by being set upon by several large, vicious birds with beaks like hatchets. Bringing Jacks from looting the cooling corpse and Cananatra from his improvising they poured down out of the tree like blood from a wound. As the first bowled the one-eyed Shade over Syjahel ran into the fray, her shield held high hoping to rush one of the birds off its feet.

Looking at the birds, they had formidable beaks and large feet that could no doubt deliver a powerful kick. She reasoned that staying out of range of them wasn't possible for a close quarter fighter like her, so she decided to try and strike hard and fast and hopefully overbalance the oversized pigeon.

Keep her shield up and aim to stop more converging on the downed Shade. Try to overbalance one and aim for the neck; she's not a veteran bird killer like Cananatra but it looks like a logical weak point. Try to stop more from ganging up on Seijl and take the opposite side from Carathyle once he comes into play.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

OOC: Perhaps something nice for you to use Drainial, I've redrawn the pommel of Carathyle's sword(No doubt Cananatra will say it's probably going to hurt Carathyle more then others, IT'S FOR STYLE ONLY FOR KHAINE'S SAKE!). Perhaps you could do something with possible gems in the eye-sockets etc.

IC: Carathyle stood idly and kinda bored against one of the surrounding petrified trees as his companions were doing... what ever they were doing. His fingertips ran across the fine edges of the metal strips running around the globe in the center. Looking at the surrounding area, including the tree that the one-eyed shade was climbing, Carathyle seemed to notice something that Jacks was peeling out of the Jabberwock. But his focus on that was rather short, as the moment Jacks gazed through it toward the tree and let out a shout of warning, Carathyle turned himself toward the tree, pulling the obsidian out of the scabbard. A bird-like creature dropped onto Seijl and attacked him, forcing the shade down to the ground again. If that was all that came out of the tree, Carathyle wouldn't bother, but it wasn't.

From the tree branches, more of the creatures came down, all heading for a possible afternoon snack in a can. Carathyle chuckled at a thought, before exclaiming it, "Hey look you guys, guess our ride up the tree has arrived." His words weren't meant to be taken serious, unless the Captain agreed that we needed to spare at least five and hope they're easy riding.

Seeing Cananatra and Syjahel charging into the fray with little plan other then seemingly obliterate the birds, Carathyle figured that the shade should at least be protected from any more attacks.

Carathyle will step up to the side opposite of Syjahel and start chopping at the birds, hopefully able to ward attacks off by either shield or armor. Safe Seijl if possible, if not... AVENGE HIM!

Equipment:
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

With Jacks' warning ringing in their ears the group rose to meet this sudden attack. They had faced many unusual creatures on their adventures and these were far from the strangest. Slipping his new toy into a pouch for safe keeping Jacks raised up his repeater. His first thought was for Seijl but the distance was not great and already two of the birds were coming straight for him. Opening fire the shade ploughed two bolts into the nearest bird and proved that they could die, the creature tumbled squawking to the ground. It's companion continued to charge however and before Jacks could fire again it was upon him. A few feet away the Jub-jub bird leapt into the air, flapping its wings as it lashed out with razor sharp talons. Just in time Jacks dodged back but even he was not quite quick enough, two ragged lines were ripped in his new clothes, worse still was the tear in the skin beneath. They were scratches only however and as the bird's beak flashed at his throat Jacks thumped it to the side with the butt of his crossbow.

Seijl was not so lucky, prone on the ground with the bird atop him the shade struggled manfully. Pulling out a dagger Seijl thrust upward into the belly of the beast, as he did so however the great curved beak tore through his all too delicate throat letting forth a fountain of elven blood. They died together.

The three warriors did not hold back, between them they had faced beastmen, the lizards of the south and even a bear, birds were not a foe to scare them. Cananatra in particular had some experience with beasts of this kind and without reservation he met the charge of the nearest Jub-jub. Aiming for the long vulnerable neck Cananatra lashed out with a downward hack. The bird was quick though and its head weaved from side to side. Within moments a second bird was attacking him, its talons scraping down his shield. It held, for now at least. Not one to be denied Cananatra concentrated his attention on the first of the birds, keeping both creatures at bay was difficult but he trusted to his thick armour and in a graceful stroke decapitated it. As he did so the beak of the second found the elbow of his sword arm but the armour held.

Syjahel decided to take the same approach as with other opponents of this size, run 'em down and kill 'em. With her shield up the warrior woman charged in. Whatever the birds had been expecting it certainly wasn't this, the first one she met squawked seemingly as much in surprise as pain as its head bounced off her shield and then on the ground. Quick as a flash Syjahel's blade descended, she aimed for the neck but already the creature was struggling to get back to its feet and she sliced through one of the wings instead. The second bird attacking her was just as quick however and while she was preoccupied with the grounded Jub-jub its mate raked her back with sharp claws. The master crafted mail held firm but the relatively slight warrior beneath was knocked forwards, already unbalanced from her charge Syjahel fell heavily, pinning the protesting bird below her armoured form.

Carathyle was always one for plans, many of his actions verged on madness but he always planned them first. Now the plan simply seemed to be KILL, so he did. Charging in Carathyle found that like the others two of the birds headed in his direction. Slashing widely Carathyle opened a large hole in one of them, wounding it badly but not quite killing it. The second gave him more trouble, biting and scratching with such vigour that the pro-active warrior was forced backwards on the defensive. His armour and shield held up just fine but it was difficult to launch any attacks of his own.

-Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Seeing his prey rushing forth, along with his fellow Warriors, Carathyle figured that what was going to happen would most probably be a fast slaughter of the birds... he was wrong.

As, much like his companions, two birds made their way toward the brash youth, Carathyle's old High elf training, and even the Druchii Training he got during his short years of service before being dismissed along with the extended hilt, came in handy, as he gripped the hilt of his Obsidian sword near the pommel, increasing the chance of possible cuts in his gauntlet. Swinging horizontally, Carathyle felt the blade of obsidian sink itself into and through the flesh of the first to come. The moment the blade left the flesh, Carathyle loosened his grip, letting the hilt slide in his hand, before the crossguard blocked its path. Gripping it again, his sword was yet to be reused, when the second Jub-Jub came upon him.

This one was moving a bit faster then Carathyle anticipated first, but seeing his other companions struggle with worse luck, Carathyle quickly thought of a possible plan for himself, freeing himself of the blasted birds to aid either one of the two warriors of the shade. Feeling the talons and beak slamming itself against the shield and the edges of his armour, Carathyle quickly looked around, unfortunately seeing a sight he wished not to see. As a spray of blood emerged from Seijl's throat, Carathyle figured the worst. May Khaine guide your soul, my friend. Carathyle thought, keeping his attention to the foe before him. With his shield between him and the Jub-Jub, and the other one severely wounded, Carathyle's tactical mind quickly thought of a plan, both a tactical advantage as well as full-on brashness. Waiting for the bird to throw another attack toward him, Carathyle kept his shield up between them, with the sword kept close-by.

When the unharmed Jub-Jub attacks Carathyle again, bash the shield, followed by a stab. If it gets smart and retreats, switch Obsidian sword to Dranach. If it gives Carathyle a breather, switch to Dranach and start stabbing for the creature's chest(Neck might be thin and easy to sever, but it's also really easy to miss! besides, vital organs are located in the head and chest, so ^_^)

Equipment:
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

The birds were far more aggressive than Jacks had anticipated, far more dangerous when the remaining one that charged him used all of its sharp weapons efficiently. The thrust at his neck with its beak was a close fatal mistake he wasn't going to let happen, he'd readily lose an arm before that happens.

Rolling up to distance himself from his assailant, he quickly glimpsed around at the others on the battlefield to check if anyone needed assistance yet, especially Seijl. His eyes widened when he caught sight of his partner, his blood was flowing, from what wound, Jacks couldn't tell exactly, but it looks like he was having trouble escaping. Adrenaline pulsed through his veins more strongly at the sight of that, Jacks needed to help him, he wasn't about to allow another companion die on his watch.

He put his repeater crossbow away, this is a close quarter combat and the butt of his repeater wasn't going to be enough to keep off these deadly birds. Drawing his short sword and handbow, he charged off in the direction of Seijl, through any and all birds in his way.

Jacks will switch to Repeater Handbow and Shortsword then make way towards the wounded Seijl, ignoring the surviving bird that attacked him unless it gets in his way.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

The giant birds were agile as well as vicious, not unlike Syjahel herself. She attempted to sever the bird's head for its trouble, and while unbalanced by its counterattack she fell onto it. Pinning her enemy was a valid tactic, but not so much while its companion was trying to play a tune on her vertebrae.

Growling in rage and pain, the warrior-woman decided against trying to deploy her sword on the pinned bird in the conventional way, opting instead to smash at it with the pommel or her shield-rim, or failing that, by slamming her metal helm into its head. Not ladylike, but this was a pitched battle, not some Asur temple dance. Syjahel knew only two ways to fight: to duel with honour, and to fight to win. This time she was aiming for the second.

Embroiled in her own violence she was not able to notice the fate of the one-eyed Shade, nor to aid any of the others, concentrated as she was on avoiding the hand of Khaine on her own heart. Striving to get rid of the threat below her before the one above could find a gap in her defences, she struggled as hard as she could to end the threat quickly.

Try to get the bird underneath her out of action before twisting to deal with the one above. If she gets a chance, kick it so that it falls or stumbles before rising, given that she dispatches Bird No. 1 of course. Try to kill that one first.
Last edited by Syjahel on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

The bird was surprisingly fast, madly jerking its head back to avoid the downward stroke which would have removed it from this life. Unfortunate really, so far as Cananatra was concerned. Before he could deliver a second blow a comrade of the first feathered fiend decided to try and gut him. Against flesh its talons would have been lethal, against a fully armour Druchii with a shield, they were somewhat less so. The shield shuddered on his arm and the birds attack slid harmlessly off. Still focussed on his initial target despite the team attack, Cananatra finally managed to separate its head from its body.

One down. A second to . . The seconds birds beak slammed into his arm right at his elbow, sending a disconcerting jolt up his arm, followed by a slight tingle. Luckily the armour on his elbow was up to the task and prevented him becoming a one armed warrior. . .go.

Pulling back his arm Cananatra spun to face his next opponent. The bird had an impressive reach with its legs and long neck. While this was an advantage, it was also a weakness. Bracing his shield directly before him he stepped forward, crowding up against the bird.

Cananatra will press forward, getting too close for the bird to deliver a serious kick and hopefully forcing its head up and away. When in close he’ll slide his sword past his shield and stab it. If no more birds are attacking him he’ll see if anyone else needs a hand.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Forced into an unfamiliar defensive posture Carathyle was briefly taken aback by the sheer ferocity of what appeared on the face of it to be a relatively scrawny opponent. With a moment to gather his thoughts though the young lord was ready to go back on the attack. As the curved beak searched for his face once more Carathyle used his new shield in a style long beloved of Syjahel and smashed it forwards into the bird's head. The Jub-jub was knocked back with a squawk but only for a brief second, a second was all Carathyle needed though and barrelling forwards he thrust his blade into its body, thrusting again and again until the creature slumped to the ground, its attacks finally silenced. Even now Carathyle was not safe, the injured bird snapped at him and only his armour saved the elf from losing a sizable patch of skin. The steel held good though and turning on his attacker Carathyle used his obsidian blade to slice off its head.

Jacks was not quite so aggressive, having dodged his opponent briefly the elf switched to his close combat weapons. As he was doing so he caught sight of Seijl, he did not seem to be moving and blood was everywhere though much or even all of it could have been from the dead bird slumped on top of him. With few friends in the world and non he trusted to watch his back like Seijl Jacks was determined to go to his aid. There were still obstacles in his way however, notably the Jub-jub bird which had forced him back. The creature was stubborn and mere moments after he regained his feet it was on him again. Cursing this impediment Jacks had just enough time to snap off a shot at close range before the bird was on him once again. Jacks did not have time to see whether his bolt found bird flesh, with beak and talon the Jub-jub bird leapt at him. This time however the shade had his sword to hand. Ducking the beak Jacks hissed as a talon raked down his leg drawing blood. Almost immediately however he took his revenge as a good Druchii should, sliding his blade into the back of the bird's long leg he hamstrung it and moved past. He knew the creature was not dead but even so it would not be able to follow him or do any great mischief. Though the wound in his thigh burned with a familiar pain Jacks pressed on towards Seijl.

Syjahel meanwhile was unaware of any of this for she had her own battle to fight. The bird below her was wounded but far from dead while the one above had all the advantages it could wish for. Knowing that she was in a bad place Syjahel fought to win, it was messy and inelegant but this was no honour duel in the fencing hall. Fortunately the bird pinned beneath her was unable to do much more than thrash, its talons scraping her armour but with little hope of penetration with no leverage. Its agile neck and crushing beak on the other hand were more of a threat. As her long sword was too long to cut from so short a range Syjahel rammed the hilt downward instead, slamming it repeatedly into soft feathered flesh and smashing hollow bones.

The screams of pain from the bird pinned below her were agony to hear but it was the creature up above that was the real worry. Syjahel winced as razor sharp talons raked down her back again and again, had she had the time or the breath the warrior would have done well to offer thanks to the master smith she had bought the suit from for it was unlikely that lesser mail would have held against such a repeated onslaught. Even through the armour the impacts were jarring and painful piling bruises upon bruises, maybe even cracking ribs. These Jub-jub birds were small and wiry but strong all the same.

Cananatra was faring better. His own thick armour saved him injury and he was confident that one to one these birds were no match for a Druchii warrior. Wrenching his arm free of the beak Cananatra pressed forward, these birds had no defensive weapons to speak of, they relied solely on an overwhelming attack and that was something he meant to deny this one. Crowding in close the large elf weathered a barrage of attacks with relative ease, those few that made it past his shield finding no purchase on his heavy plate armour. What little pain he felt was not even enough to wake the amulet and was certainly not enough to halt his attack. When he judged the time right Cananatra struck, sticking his blade into the bird's scrawny chest and out the other side. Placing a boot on the falling creature Cananatra kicked its corpse off his sword and looked around. Syjahel was struggling but Carathyle was free just as he was. Jacks too was unengaged and was running towards the tree where Seijl lay.

Reaching his fellow shade Jacks hauled the bird's body off him and make a quick examination, the news was not good. The Jub-jub bird had torn Seijl's throat to a bloody ruin and blood flowed thick and fast. So thick and so fast in fact that Jacks realised that Jacks realised his friend was still alive. Though he knew it was probably hopeless Jacks scrambled in his pouches to find a healing vial but as he did so Seijl murmured something, a gurgle that few would have even noticed, but Jacks was a good listener. Bending closer to Seijl's lips to try and make it out Jacks heard three words
"Watch...your...back..." and with that the shade died. His last words were not to be in vain though. Jacks knew Seijl to be a practical elf, his last words were unlikely to be sentimental or metaphorical particularly as no Druchii would ever do otherwise. With this warning Jacks just had the time to do what Seijl had not and roll out of the way of yet another Jub-jub bird leaping down the tree.

As Jacks scrambled back to his feet with his sword and hand bow ready another flock of oversized birds flooded onto the forest floor. One, two, three, four; Jacks stopped counting as the first one leapt at him, talons searching for his face to rend and tear.

Seijl is dead but the battle is not over yet. Syjahel is still supine on the floor but the bird below her is dead or near enough as makes no difference, the one above her is still fine though. Jacks is lightly wounded on the leg, it hurts and might slow him a little but isn't very serious. Both Cananatra and Carathyle are no unengaged. Jacks has been attacked and is near the base of the tree, everyone else is a little way away from the tree. Lots of new Jub-jub birds are emerging, you can see at least six so far. -Drainial

Gentleman of Moderation
Cananatra

Post by Cananatra »

With a snarl Cananatra twisted his arm within the beak of the jub-jub bird. The bone screeched across the plate but was unable to maintain its purchase and with a final judder the beak lost its grip. Not willing to give the damned bird any chance to renew its attack at any sort of fair range Cananatra pushed forward, his shield held before him. Obviously the bird had some inkling of how the situation was progressing for it seemed to go wild with its new attacks as it was more and more crowded. It couldn’t back off swiftly enough to free itself up for its more instinctive strikes and it thrashed about to try and force him back. His shield boomed over and over as the birds legs struck it glancing blows, occasionally sliding off to strike his armoured thighs with little effect. The beak was likewise proving ineffective, though it did come over the top of his shield and close disconcertingly close to his face once. Unfortunately for the jub-jub though, it wasn’t enough and he was able to skewer it. For a brief moment the image of a spit roasting giant chicken filled his mind and he laughed as he turned to find a new target.

Syjahel was sandwiched between a pair of jub-jub birds, though the one she was upon seemed very dead. The second however was making a spirited attempt to peel open her armour to get at her flesh. Jacks was heading towards where Seijl was pinned beneath a dead bird, but it didn’t look promising. The shade was far too still, and the splashes of blood suggested more than being knocked out. Deciding that Jacks could deal with the shade, if he lived, Cananatra sprinted towards Syjahel. As he did so he could hear the sound of more jub-jub birds joining the fight from behind him, exactly how many he could not tell.

“Down!” He shouted as he leapt towards the jub-jub bird upon Syjahel.

Cananatra will attempt to shoulder charge the jub-jub bird clean off Syjahel and kill it while its down. He’ll then try to keep any others off her while she regains her feet, or just plain engage the nearest one if she needs no more help.
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

As his plan to shield bash the Jub-jub seemed to work, Khaine be praised, Carathyle didn't gave it a second thought to return the favor to the Jub-jub that forced him into uncomfortable position of defense. The sudden ferocity in Carathyle's turn of tides came as a surprise to the bird, throwing it off its plan entirely.

Swift as the wind, Carathyle brought his years of hard, Elven Training, both Druchii as Asur, in practice, quickly grasping the opportunity as it presented itself. His sword, powered by both his muscle and the spirit of his hated Father pulsing inside, plunged into the soft skin of the Jub-Jub. Carathyle displayed his anger a bit, as he repeatedly stabbed the creature in its chest until it dropped to the ground, before getting stabbed another three times in the chest, just to make sure the holes are sufficient to at least agonize it to death.

However, the one with the gapping wound in the chest wasn't as smart as it should have been, and attacked Carathyle once again with its beak. Being occupied with stabbing the dead Jub-Jub for a second, Carathyle felt the beak bounce off his armor. Realizing that it was not just a nut falling off a tree, Carathyle turned around with his most precious sword coming along in a swing. In one fluid motion, Carathyle decapitated the bird, leaving the body to walk around for a second before it hit one of the surrounding trees and fell to the ground. A chuckle emerged from Carathyle's throat because of the display and soon he turned toward his fellow companions, seeing but one in combat.

His mind thinking about what was best to do, Carathyle heard the Jub-Jubs near the tree, squawking and screeching as they made their way to Jacks, who sat near the lifeless body of Seijl. Turning his head toward Cananatra, who hurried himself to aid Syjahel, Carathyle decided that two warriors for a single bird would be too much, and set off to aid the shade as much as possible, "Jacks! Get yourself together and leave the birds at close range to me! I feel like I want to kill!"

Same plan as before, charging in sword first and hope for the best! Ordering Jacks to withdraw for ranged support.

OOC: BY KHAINE! Carathyle actually placed an order... that is unheard of!

Before people are going to complain about that, it's possible to die of pain(ask a woman giving birth to a child, they surpass the normal limit).

Equipment:
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

As Syjahel felt the struggling bird beneath her grow limp, she could feel the wriggling weight of the one above her thrashing and striking, lashing out at her armoured back again and again. She cursed loudly. The warrior-woman could see very little of the fight, but she could hear the cries of those around her. Carathyle was directing Jacks - there was no word to Seijl, which had to be a bad sign. Syjahel tried to thrust up and back with her armoured elbow, but she couldn't get the right angle pinned as she was.

Just as she was gathering herself to try to twist and throw the thing to one side, she heard a heavy tread of running feet as of someone in armour and a shout of "Down!". Unsure if it was meant for her she nonetheless flattened herself against the ground - and unfortunately the dead bird - half-certain that at any moment she was going to be on the end of a Jub-Jub kebab.

If Syjahel gets free, she wants to concentrate on fighting and killing/disabling the remaining birds as soon as possible. Not knowing what Cananatra has in mind she thinks he's going to try to stab/slash at the bird on her back, so she's going to wait until he's acted to try to twist to one side and get herself free. (This would also be handy if he knocks the damn' thing off.) This will be what she tries next whether bird-free or not and then it's back to trying to kill evil chickens.

OOC: Sorry for the short post, couldn't really work out what to do until I'm know if I'm free to do it :)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Jacks' worst fears were confirmed upon reaching Seijl. The fool had gotten his throat torn open, Jacks wasn't prepared to lose another close companion, not after what he had relived in his dream back at the maze. He was in a panic, he knew Seijl wasn't going to live through his wound, not without sorcery anyway, but he still instinctively fumbled through his pouch for a healing balm. He knew it was futile, but he refused to believe he was about to lose his partner. Patching the ointment over the gash, he doubt any of it actually went onto the wound, not with all the blood gushing out.

"Live damn you, our work here isn't done yet!" he frowned in fury.

With one last silent gurgle, his partner gave Jacks a clear warning, looking around just in time, he managed to avoid the same fate his partner had faced, and on the same spot too. Leaping well and clear out of the way as the fourth Jub-Jub bird pounced at him, he recovered and made for his throwing knife, opting to unleash his fury upon these annoying creatures for his partner's sake. His blood was pumping harder than before, both from the adrenaline and the fury, but it snapped out of focus when young Maveric's voice managed to find itself to be heard amongst all this screeching and stabbing.

"One of the flaws of better focus it seems"

He hadn't had time to look back at his other companions yet, more noisy shouts were called out amongst all the ruckus. Jacks' fury nearly had him ignore the command, but with great effort he left his throwing knife where it was and kept his Handbow instead. Bouncing back a few more paces to distance himself from the new arrivals, he snapped off some shots to keep the creatures away from him until help arrived.

Meanwhile, his other hand reached for the artefact. If more came down, he had better check if there were more lurking nearby, getting ready to pounce on them when they least expect it.

Skip back a few paces to distance himself from the new Jub-Jub Birds, snap off a few shots to keep them at bay whilst Carathyle comes in. Then reach into his pocket for the Jabberwock's Eye and have a quick scan of the tree and their surrounding for anymore unsuspecting enemies lurking nearby.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

With Jub-jub birds streaming out of the tree Cananatra had a choice and he chose to free Syjahel first. Charging straight at it the warrior bellowed "Down!", a simple clear message that prompted the beleaguered Syjahel to cease her struggles and press her face into cooling feathers. Swiftly closing the distance Cananatra's cry failed to alert the bird attacking her, fixated as it was on peeling its prey from the tin can it came in. It must have come as some surprise then as a large and heavily armoured Druchii warrior thundered into it from the side. The Jub-jub bird was knocked clear off its feet and as it flailed on the floor seeking to regain them Cananatra's sword lanced down ending its life.

Thus freed Syjahel clamoured back to her feet, her back was a mass of painful bruises that would doubtless leave her crippled with pain as they cramped if left untreated, there did not seem to be any immediate danger of death however and with adrenaline coursing through her system she set her sights on the birds leaping to the ground. Carathyle was already closing in on the new flock and Syjahel joined his charge but Jacks was already on the scene and in trouble. Though hungry for vengeance Jacks heard the sense in Carathyle's words and drew his handbow. Seeking to put some distance between himself and the birds Jacks moved backwards, firing as he went. At this range accuracy was not an issue for the practiced shade and the first bird to come for him fell to the floor with bolts buried in its flesh. The others however were quickly on him. Any hopes of using his new artefact to seek out other threats were swiftly put aside as two birds flew at him with their razor sharp beaks and taloned feet. Desperately Jacks defended himself, his sword flashing as he parried attack after attack. Even so unarmoured as he was the shade soon bore new scratches along his arm and chest, this was not the kind of fight he was equipped for and more birds were circling round to take him from the rear.

Fortunately Carathyle and Syjahel were coming to the rescue. Taking on the birds with finesse and grace had proved itself ineffective, not that any of the warriors were particularly attached to either in this kind of environment. The Jub-jub birds were nothing if not aggressive and the two Druchii found their charge met by a swarm. Both Syjahel and Carathyle were strong however and with their shields foremost they push back their attacks, their swords reaping a bloody harvest of wounds and intestines. As Cananatra finished off the bird which had been attacking Syjahel and turned his attention to the fray he was two birds writhing on the floor and several more with cuts, now though the momentum of their charge was spent and the two warriors were wading into trouble. More birds leapt from the tree and one of them bore Carathyle to the ground though it cost it its life to do so, the obsidian sword buried in its chest. Syjahel remained standing but three large birds ripped at her with their beaks and claws, for the most part her armour held but a long shallow cut ran down her sword arm, the sheer number of attacks telling even through her superior armour.

Jacks has several small wounds now and is fighting two birds. Syjahel is nearby him at the base of the tree and fighting three birds, she has some wounds but not seriously debilitating right now, they are painful though and she would do well to remember that she is only T2. Carathyle is on the floor with one dead bird on top of him and two trying to attack him from above. Cananatra is about ten feet away from all this and is not in combat or wounded. - Drainial

Gentleman of Moderation
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Seemingly, Carathyle's words gotten through to the shade, as he withdrew as soon as possible, firing bolts to cover his retreat. However, Carathyle was still too far out to take the birds off of Jacks, as he was soon engaged by two. But, along with Syjahel, who was freed by Cananatra, Carathyle charged at the birds with the both anger and relief. Fighting a group of birds on his own would be hard enough, considering the lot of them that were dropping onto them. It was anger that drove Carathyle into the charge, and it showed itself through combat.

The first pack of birds ran for the two charging warriors, but through decades of training for both of the nobles, as was Druchii standard, the attempted interception was smashed without much effort. Raising his shield in front of him, Carathyle greeted the first of the Jub-Jubs with it, before letting the obsidian blade do what it does best. His training taught him well, as well as having an experienced companion fighting next to him, as the first birds met their end at the hands of the Druchii.

Unfortunately for both of them, their charge has lost the advantages that it gave them, as both Syjahel and Carathyle were forced into a slower pace. With two birds down, and many more with cuts and wounds, Carathyle was surprised by the surprising intelligence of the Jub-Jub creatures. Whether it was sheer instinct or smarts had yet to be seen, as one of the Jub-Jubs that was coming down jumped for Carathyle, forcing him to the ground with its body. Unfortunately for the creature, Carathyle's reflexes were honed by the training of his old tutor back in Har Ganeth, as well as the training in the Army, and he quickly skewered the bird onto the obsidian of his sword. Now, with a dead bird on top of him, Carathyle was all but in the safe zone.

Seeing his companion struggling with three Jub-Jubs, and his fellow warrior coming to charge in as well yet 10 feet away, not to mention at least two birds coming for his life, and a bird on top of him, Carathyle did not see a good outcome if he didn't act fast. 'Khaine! Cruel as you may be, I shall not lay my life to these wretched birds, it's just insulting for a noblemen.' With this thought, Carathyle released the hilt of the obsidian sword, much to his regret at that moment. 'Better to live to retrieve it, then to die keeping it near. Besides, this should prove to get interesting.' Carathyle placed his now free hand against the dead Jub-Jub's side, starting to apply strength, while using his abs and muscles throughout his body to twist himself, along with the bird, to the left side. 'The moment I get free, stand up as fast as possible, use the Dranach. These birds messed with the wrong Elf this time.' His mind recapped

Carathyle will let go of the hilt of the embedded obsidian sword, push the bird off of him and get up. Once up, he'll take the Dranach off of his back and start using it as a glaive. Help Syjahel out if necessary, and if possible.

If this does not succeed, use the shield to cover the most exposed, vital part of his body, while taking the obsidian sword out of the Jub-Jub. With the sword, Carathyle will attack every Jub-Jub that tries to mess with him.

Equipment:
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

The Jub Jub birds begun to irritate Jacks now as he desperately fought them off. They could best the beasts, but their overwhelming numbers and sheer dumb animalistic nature were beginning to wear them down. Jacks was getting surrounded, and he'd be damned to die the same death as Seijl, he'd be damned to die before he his task was done for that matter. Fortunately, he wasn't without help, the thunderous collisions and squawks meant the others had arrived, but he wasn't safe yet. Swinging his blade down furiously, he smashed it against the beak of one of his angry birds, forcing the animal to buckle down slightly so that he may catch a quick breath. He can only dance for so long, scratches already scarred his arms and legs, but fight on he must.

"We're wasting too much time here! We must be on the trail again!" he bellowed out as loud as he could muster, in a hope to remind the others what they were doing here, other than butchering birds.

Fight on, avoid injuries as much as possible and get as much space as he can from all the melee so he could shoot and use his artefact again.

OOC: Ooooh who's going to snag that 1000th post? ;D

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock