Hmm, so, I haven't played wfb for about 3 years...

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

+ 1d6 - is that the thunderstomp thingy?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yep.

Bye
Thanee
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

Gary,

I would never leave home without 30 Corsairs in horde with frenzy banner.

Fills up your core with a powerful combat unit. its been a mainstay in my lists for the last 18 months (includes winning 4 100 player events and multiple top 10 finishes)

Go horde or go home!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hey Ben, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts then on a list.

Figure I finally need to start reading 8th ed...
Benji

Post by Benji »

At 1500 points i'd play,

Shadow Lv4, Dagger.
Cauldren BSB
30 Wariors, FC, Banner of Dis.
30 Corsairs, FC, Frenzy banner
20 Black Guard, Mu
5 Shades, xhw
5 Shades xhw
5 harpies.

You might have to play with unit sizes + command options to make it all fit but it will be very solid.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

WoW, lists really are so different, more so than I thought. What about Witch Elves Ben? Any good?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yeah, there are a lot of ways to play DE, because almost all of our choices are good. That's really great (and I truly hope, once the new armybook comes out, this is still the case). :)

As seen, there is even disagreement about those "bad units" (i.e. Dark Riders, some people like them a lot still :)), which makes the field even more diverse.

Bye
Thanee
Benji

Post by Benji »

Ye Olde Witch Elf debate......

Here's the deal. They are pretty awesome. Great models, good in the game, very cheap, loads of attacks, posion....

I prefer Black Guard for a few reasons, the most important being that you can't put your Masters + Sorceress' in Witches. the rest are;

1. Armour Save. Yes its only a 5+, but when you get a ward save its 5+/5+ against st3,or higher strength too when combined with enfeebeling foe, and then it you are saving half the wounds thrown at you. It turn Enfeebling from pretty good to awesome

2. Stubborn all the time.

3. Higher WS, St, and Eternal Hatred.

4 They stay this good until the last of the die, The witches start to run out of steam after the first round, especially if they lose a round of combat.

I know that a lot of the witch elves problems can be 'played around' but the joy of the black guard is that you can do ridiculous things with them, It is very very hard to kill 15ish guys in a single round of combat when they have ws5, 5+ward, maybe an armour save. You can also conga with them, or if that is frowned upon in your gaming groups you can just turn a flank while in 2 ranks, i'ts a similar effect but not quite as overtly filth.

Another reason I don't go for the Witches is because I use Corsairs, they fill a similar role to the chicks but swap out Poision and a point of In for 5+/4+ Armour save. I never account for the Stubborn on the Cauldron because you will more often than not have to stick the cauldren on the table edge due to opponents magic. That will force the witches to be less aggressive.
Benji

Post by Benji »

I did a Dark Elf review recently on the Garagehammer podcast. Its worth a listen if you are thinking of picking them up again.

http://garagehammer.net/2012/05/episode ... too-gamey/
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Thanks Ben, good luck at the weekend btw dude.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Thanee wrote:There is basically nothing DR can do, which Harpies and/or Shades cannot do better (and for less points).

Well there is, Move after rallying ;). And I found it is extremely useful.

@Benji - excellent pointers, overall a nice review.

As for the WE were excellent with flamer banner when the dubble A-boms roamed the tables. Plus these days we are seeing more and more of monstrous cav, and WE are good at taking hordes of troops apart rather then heavily armored troops. I don't use them do to the fluff :?, as a general I would have them as far away from my troops as possible :lol:.
Plus as Ben has pointed out corsairs also deal a lot of attack's and they are core.

I personally can suggest CoC, they are excellent for the point cost in pair's. extremely resilient.
Also known as Kanadian