Dark Elves VS Brettonia 1000.

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Dark Elves VS Brettonia 1000.

Post by Saintofm »

Played a game last night-early this morning at a hobby shop near my home.

Here’s what we played. My army I had a print out of a playlist I made using Microsoft Excel, so that was easy enough.

I’m doing a guestamacation on his plus what he said he had.

My Army:
Dreadlord Ronan Weakblood:
Heavy Armor, shield, Sea Dragon Cloak
Ogre Blade, Pendent of Kheleth.

40 Spearmen:
Full command and shields
They had the General.

7 Shades
2 hand weapons and a blood shade.

Accompanied by an assassin Sulfura
2 hand Weapons
Rendign Stars
Cry of War
Manbane

War Hydra Briarios.

My Opponent, who was a really nice guy:

Prophetess, I believe lv 3 with one item that gave her unit the blessing of the lady
Lore of Life.

Paladin BSB
Barded steed
Questing Vow, Virtue that gives him +1 combat resolution for the general being alive.
Most Expensive banner they have (either grail standard or lady of the lake standard)
Sheild
Next time he might just give him a great weapon

About 40 men at arms, full command, mostly using halberds

5 Questing knights, full command.

2 Trebuchets.

Dark Elves 1.
I went first. I moved my spears up a full rank inbwteen a 40K chapel and a forest that was was too close for comfort but just managed to not touch (I was running horde formation).

Moved shades up so they could get a few pot shots in. Even with the assassin coming out, it took the mass shooting of the shades to draw first blood.

I also moved the hydra up a about 8 inches. I was hoping to use the high ground to some advantage, but no so much in sibsiquant turns.

Bretonian 1.
Needless t say, his men charged me little hydra.

As for spells, my opponent cast shield of thorns on the questing that managed to get a wound in on my hydra. He also managed to kill three spearmen with a awakening of the wood. Shooting was about 50/50.

50 because he killed 11 of my spearmen, and I barley passed a panic attack.

The other 50? The second trebuchet his own men killing about the same. A few survived due to ward save, but ooh we both thought that was painful.

Close combat was as thus. The hydra kills a couple knights between breath and biting their knee caps off and takes a wound, and has to flee. He out runs them and rallies next turn.

DE2.
Hydra rallies, and I get my spears in position to flank the enemy.

The shades charge the trebuchet, and the assassin kills it with three wounds (it lost one wound to shooting that last turn).

BE2.
Guess what, the hydra is charged again. Magic doesn’t amount to much as I dispelled throns, Woods just scratched my guys, no wounds, and the trebuchet, which overshot, gets a 5+ regeneration.

The hydra manages to kill the other knights, taking another wound, but it’s just between him and the paladin now and the hydra holds it’s ground.

DE3.
I flank the spearmen with my spears who are still using 2 ½ ten man wide ranks, while shades get the trebuchet.

Trebuchet is overkilled, with 2 wounds from the assassin and another 4 from the shades, so they overcharge into a nice poition.

My spearmen kill 13, another 2 deaths are caused by the dreadlord, and I only lost 2 spearmen. They run but stop just before the shades. I’m about 2 or 3 inches behind them with my spearmen still in the same position (with my joking with the other guy as we were both fluffy people: You are cruel, making a fat man run like this!)

The hydra and the knight both deal a wound to eachother, and the hydra is down to just 1. However he losses combat and flees. He still kills a small unit of questing though.

Breotonia 3.
The knight charges the hydra who runs off the board. The knight only moves 4 inches as he can’t complete the charge. Just the same, he’s the only one left of the unit.

Men at arms rally and reform so they can get 4 ranks and their front is pointed at my spears.

DE4.

Turns out they were between a rock and a hard place as the spearmen kill a bunch, but 4 attacks from the assassin and another 15 from the shades butchers quite a bit. They have the 5+ regen, but the mass of attacks still turns the unit into pulp.

So in the end, I win with a little over a quarter of my spearmen biting the dust, and my hydra licking it’s wounds somewhere off in the distance.

I didn’t make this crotiqe then, as I was just happy to finaly win a game in a long time and it was getting late, that he probably wasn’t used to small games. He usually plays warriors of chaos, but he had a lot of knights and was willing to go up to 2000 points (the was closing in a couple hours so we didn’t get that chance, next time maybe).

Maybe there wasn’t a goof way to do this, but I felt the questing knights were too small, and I didn’t see a lot of heavy hitters. Granted the Trebuchet is one of the most powerful warmachines in the game, so it’s not like he didn’t have anything, and he did have the wizzard lore with lore of life.

What do you think?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Dark Elves VS Brettonia 1000.

Post by Daeron »

It's a bit hard to tell when you're not on the same table playing the actual game, but both lists are quite alright. His list doesn't strike me as powerful, but not bad either. I mean... if he had to go first, and got two shots at your hydra with the stone throwers, it could have had a very different outcome. It would have enabled him to reform his men at arms to maximize ranks for steadfast, and keep his cavalry in the way of your shades. Sure, the assassin could take one or two down, but the Shades would struggle and they'd die... easily. With the men at arms in the way, he could have gotten more turns on his stone throwers. But that's all.. hard to achieve compared to the relative ease of your list. You deploy in 2 rounds so you're likely to get +1 and run down his warmachines.
His list simply isn't a "power list", which yours is.

You also field a Hydra, a rending star assassin and a giant blade Dreadlord with PoK all in 1K. That's really a lot of powerplay to deal with in 1K. As a small note though, that Dreadlord costs 251 points. One point too high :)

But other than that, it looks like half the battle was the list. The other half was a perfect execution of an advantage played out.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Dark Elves VS Brettonia 1000.

Post by Saintofm »

Really?
Him+heavy armor+sea dragon cloak+sheild comes to 155
And the 2 mgic items add another 80, bringing him to 235 (I gave him an ogre blade, although I probably do have room for a giant blade in bigger games).

Thanks for checking on it though
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra