2350 vs Skaven... Oops I did it again

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jvh792
Highborn

2350 vs Skaven... Oops I did it again

Post by Jvh792 »

The cowardly race dared to intrude on MY island. Lead by a foolish grey seer, the vermin sprung from their tunnels only to meet the blades of the druchii army defending their honor, homes, and very lives.

Edit:
LOL I forgot the lists...
40 spears FC
40 spears FC
20 Witches MU, SB flame banner
20 witches MU, SB
20 Black Guard
2 hydras
5 shades
6 shades
5 harpies
5 harpies
LVL 4 death sorc on Peggy with PoK and Scroll

Skaven list (from what I remember):
40 clanrats with Engineer Caster
40 clanrats with a BSB in them
40 stormvermin with a grey seer in them
Doom Wheel
Warp lightning Cannon
2 ratling guns
1 warpfire thrower
15 gutter runners with some crazy death rat thing in it
All his heroes and lords had max magic items on them

Deployment:
I win the initiative and deploy first. I base my deployment around my 2 units of spear busses. I drop supporting units on either side of each.
DE turn 1:
Movement:

I bring in my reserves. Everyone marches forward and the hydras take cover behind a building and a fence. The warriors and the Black Guard face up to stare at the doom wheel.

Magic:

I lower the LD of his left most Clan Rat unit by 3. Nothing of consequence really.

Shooting:

The Shades kill a weapons team and a few clannies.

Skaven Turn 1:
Movement:

The Doom wheel plows ahead at lightning speed, eager for a glorious death. I'm more than happy to oblidge the filth. The Clannies reform to try and block the shades from charging the cannon. Too bad thier puny brains couldn't comprehend my grand plan. The other clannies shuffle forwards. The storm vermin stray to far from their friends. Last mistake they'll ever make.

Magic:

I shut down his magic phase thanks to a failed 2nd spell.

Shooting:

His warp fire thrower puts 3 wounds on the Hydra. Gulp.

Combat:

The Doom wheel kill a grand total of 2 spearmen. I win combat from static res, break him, and he gets chased off the board next turn by the black guard.

DE turn 2:
Movement:

WE2 and Warrior blocks both fail charges against CR1. The harpies set up a charge on the cannon. The shades set up to launch a few meaningless bolts into the clannies. The WE1 block moves up to take the redirected charge if the clannies charge the shades (who will flee)/ The corsairs move up to shoot a few into the clannies as well. Hydras step up to do their thing against the storm vermin horde. Black Guard chase the doomwheel off the map, rendering them useless the rest of the game since they won't get into any combat.

Magic:

Nothing of note takes place. Winds were pretty bad for me, rolling a lot of 1's, putting us close to even in cast/dispel dice.

Shooting:

I kill a few clannies. I kill TONS of storm vermin. 23 roasted rats in all.

Combat:

Not yet! But boy are we excited by now. What could possibly go wrong?

Skaven turn 2:
Movement:

The gutter runners. who were forgotten about, pop up, but not before a tragic tunnel collapse kills 12 of the 15 on a STR test. WOW. The storm vermin charge the hydra. They've clearly give up all hope of victory and are just looking for the quick way out. To my opponents credit, he never whined once. The clannies shuffled to buy some time.

Magic:

He tries to skitter leap his grey seer. I dispel it.

Shooting:

Cannon misfires. Shoots backwards at STR 10. The warpfire cannon kills half my warrior unit and panics them. Sending them toward the gutter runners. The ratling gun misfires on 2 dice and hits nothing.

Combat:

The storm vermin are all but wiped out, but they hold on a very nice second attempt role. BSB was barely within range. They dealt no wounds to the hydra.

DE turn 3:
The full army charge draws the concesion.

Edit, I rallied the warriors, but just added the charge animation for effect. ;P

Post game thoughts:

His deployment was bad, and his maneuvering was worse. Sure he had bad luck, but he lost the game the moment he marched his grey seer into two breath weapons. 700 points went to one hydra. Just from a list to list match up, he didn't have a chance. My list was made to kill rats, his list was a "sloppily built excuse to run a doom wheel" as he put it. He liked the model and wanted a chance to run it. I think if he had done anything except what he did with it, it may have had a chance to live. Very silly play.

Thrilled with the no RXB, no BSB list against the rats once again. I love having a LITTLE bit of shooting to clean up weapons teams and stray characters. I will bring shades again vs rats. 1 or 2 small units seemed about right.

Corsairs didn't do much, but not much was expected of them. Really just to clear flak, soften, and add a flank bonus AND slavers rule.

Hydra. Wow. Eats. Everything. Not a carnivoire. Not an omnivoire. An Om-nom-nom-avoire.

"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade